PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Newbie - a couple questions.

ExtraSlow
04-30-2008, 10:06 AM
OK guys, I'm not a total newbie to online shopping, but I've always used online stores, not auctions.
Any tips and tricks for me?

Specific questions:
1) Are purchases from the states subject to customs duties, it's been hit or miss with the stores I've used. Does the shipping company or method effect this? It seems like USPS shipping has usually meant paying duty in the past. FedEx, not.
2) is it worth getting one of those "sniping" programs to place my bids for me? I'm not likely to buy very many items. Which sniper program would you recommend?
3) Items I'm likely to be looking at are electronics, is it worth paying for the insurance?

First purchase is likely to be a GPS.

Cooked Rice
04-30-2008, 12:24 PM
USPS is hit and miss for paying duty, But when you have to it's not bad. It's $5 plus 5% of what the item was marked as being worth. AVOID UPS BY ALL MEANS! They will rape you with ridiculus brokerage fees (as in by usually 30% of what the item if worth). FedEx is also okay! It's $10 plus the GST on the item.

Personally I never used any sniper program. Never really had to.

It is worth buying extra insurance, but check what method they are using to ship first. Usually a lot of services offer free insurance for the first $100 or so.

megavolt
04-30-2008, 12:37 PM
I always snipe, I think newb bidding wars with 2 days left in the auction are retarded...

JRSC00LUDE
04-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by megavolt
I always snipe, I think newb bidding wars with 2 days left in the auction are retarded...

Love the snipe. That's how I got my brand new S/C'er for something around $800 a couple years ago! :eek:

Kloubek
04-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Never used a snipe program. Never really had to. But I've bought over 50 things off ebay, and always got what I wanted for the price I wanted.

There are indeed duty issues, and I don't anyone truly knows all the rules. It's quite complicated. However, USPS tends to lower duty possibilities, and UPS has always given me duty charges. If there is any way for the company to reduce the value of the product on the customs papers, or perhaps mark the package as "gift", you have a better chance of walking away duty-free.

Insurance is like anything else. Extended warranties, etc. You waste your money if you don't need it, but if you DO need it, you'll be thankful you got it. If the insurance isn't much, you might as well include it just to be on the safe side.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Ebay!

ExtraSlow
04-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Those of you that snipe, what program do you reccomend?

ExtraSlow
05-01-2008, 01:52 PM
quick bump for more opinions.

eblend
05-01-2008, 02:03 PM
USPS is definately my choise for shipping off ebay. Bidding with anything over 1 minute left is stupid and just drives up the price. I don't snipe, i just bid with like 40 seconds left and put the maximum amount I am willing to pay. ebay will simply bid for you up to the maximum amount that you are willing to pay. So if an item is listed for 10 bucks, and max u would pay for it is 30, then enter 30 bucks as the bid. Someone who bids 11 dollars will automatically be overbid by you, up to your maximum. Its pretty good actually. I used a few sniping programs before, and they work great if you can't be there at the end of the auction.

DO NOT USE UPS!!! check with seller who they ship with. If you do use UPS, don't use UPS ground, pay more to get UPS express or whatever it is called, no duty, just GST

LadyLuck
05-01-2008, 02:08 PM
stay away from ebay if youre drunk

sabad66
05-01-2008, 02:23 PM
I always snipe for bidding. I use www.bidnip.com

toyboy88
05-01-2008, 03:30 PM
I've never had to use sniping programs, usually for things under $100 I buy, I just put $5 above the price I'm "willing" to pay for it in like the last 15 secs, and I "win" 95% of the time....

Definately shipping from the US, AVOID UPS...worst duty charges/BS ever...USPS is the way to go from the US for sure.

ExtraSlow
05-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Just found this Cnet article on the subject, and it's pretty helpful.
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10165_7-5664889-1.html