PDA

View Full Version : Tax Drop-off in Calgary

rc2002
04-30-2008, 11:54 AM
I did my return on paper this year. I heard that I can just drop it off at the Harry Hays building.

Should I grab some postage before heading down? Or is that not necessary?

Thanks in advance

Rav4Guy
04-30-2008, 12:01 PM
I believe they said it was a LONG wait at the Harry Hays. Bring coffee and they will be open till midnight.

Hakkola
04-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I did my return on paper this year. I heard that I can just drop it off at the Harry Hays building.

Should I grab some postage before heading down? Or is that not necessary?

Thanks in advance

Don't worry, it just has to be at the post office by midnight, not the Harry Hays building.

ga16i
04-30-2008, 12:12 PM
yeah, I just dropped mine off at a post office, no lines. It was $1.01 for postage. I handed them the envelope and told them I need to send this. Can't possibly mess up :thumbsup:

rc2002
04-30-2008, 12:16 PM
The government is pretty short-sighted if they they didn't anticipate higher server load and increase capacity. It's impossible to file electronically now.

Guess I shouldn't have left it to the last minute. If you can bring it to the post office, then why are there so many people in line at Harry Hays? Is it because postage is free?

vietdood
04-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
The government is pretty short-sighted if they they didn't anticipate higher server load and increase capacity. It's impossible to file electronically now.

Guess I shouldn't have left it to the last minute. If you can bring it to the post office, then why are there so many people in line at Harry Hays? Is it because postage is free?

if you file electronically you have a 7 day extension till may 6 because of server problems today. however, if you owe money then you have to send out your cheque today

logix
04-30-2008, 01:42 PM
I dropped my tax return in the Tax Return box at Harry Hays. All I had to do was go in, drop it, and leave. No lines :dunno: and no postage needed.

Canmorite
04-30-2008, 02:10 PM
Servers were really slow yesterday as well. Took the page 2 hours to load after multiple attempts.

Schwa
04-30-2008, 02:13 PM
What happens if you are late? :confused:

JAYMEZ
04-30-2008, 02:17 PM
My girlfriend still needs to do hers.. I dont even know how to help her. Just go online and print off a form? My dads accountant always does mine.. Ack help lol

Xtrema
04-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Gee, why do everyone wait til last minute?

redline
04-30-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

when you pay extra taxes, why pay early????

Have you guys not heard of Netfile????? mailing is sooooo 90s

redline
04-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Schwa
What happens if you are late? :confused:

nothing if you dont owe money, if you owe you are FUCKED

ie google wesley snipes tax :cry:

ga16i
04-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
My girlfriend still needs to do hers.. I dont even know how to help her. Just go online and print off a form? My dads accountant always does mine.. Ack help lol

If she's only got 1 job, 1 t4, no deductions, it's pretty straight forward. Not too late to run to post office, grab the forms and guide and do it by hand (just to see if she owes, if the online isn't working right now). Should be able to get it done in 1hr

Schwa
04-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Dont think I will owe... but we'll see. Don't you just pay interest or will they throw me in the slammer?

vietdood
04-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Schwa
Dont think I will owe... but we'll see. Don't you just pay interest or will they throw me in the slammer?

if you're late they charge interest at 8%.

kertejud2
04-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

No kidding. I paid mine over a year ago.

~Leah~
04-30-2008, 08:19 PM
www.ufile.ca or www.quicktax.ca

Most banks have 20% off for quick tax after you log out of your online banking.

redline
04-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by vietdood

if you file and not pay yes, dont file and dont pay not good...

Maddog55
04-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by vietdood

actually its
The penalty for paying taxes late is 5 per cent of the balance owing, plus an additional 1 per cent for each month the return is late.

So if you owed a $1,000 it would cost you an extra $50. I doubt very few of you will actually owe money...unless you're self employed. Don't feel bad though....I owe them around $40k....and you think YOU hate tax time!! :banghead:

I can't believe how many of you "computer savy" guys don't file online. I'd expect that from a bunch of construction working guys like I hang with. Using Quicktax, or any of the others, it takes about 20 minutes to do your average T4'd employee...efile...direct deposit on your refunds, you usually get your money within a week or so. :dunno: