PDA

View Full Version : Best land phone line provider

Hanzo
04-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Hey guys! Just looking for feedback on which land line provider to get. Right now in Calgary there's rogers, telus, and shaw I believe.

Rogers has a 12 month $120 deal right now. Shaw has all the features for $30 a month I believe... Telus is just plain rip off I think.

QuasarCav
04-30-2008, 05:07 PM
I have had Shaw lite phone for over a year with no issues.

30 a month and 4c long distance.

toyboy88
04-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Keep it mind, Rogers is the only one (iirc), that charges an extra "non-governmental SAF" each month like on cellphones on top of their advertised rate...just saw it in an ad in a magazine, not 100% sure if other companies have this as well (I don't personally pay the landline bill)

FishPoo
04-30-2008, 05:11 PM
I just signed on with Telus, I think they have some promotions going on.

I have everything bundled tv, phone, internet for 95.95, we'll see how many extra fees there are though.

realazy
04-30-2008, 05:25 PM
We have Rogers' most basic package, it's like 25 bucks per month including the $3.95 service charge. It includes one calling feature, like call waiting, call display, or whatever else there is. It's about 10 dollars less than Telus and we have no complaints so far.

~Leah~
04-30-2008, 05:43 PM
I've been with Shaw Lite for 6 mths so far and enjoy it... nice having it on one bill with my internet and cable.

TACO.VIDAL
04-30-2008, 06:02 PM
Using an Internet phone to contact EMS left a frantic Calgary family waiting a crucial 30 minutes for help only to have their 18-month-old son die of an apparent heart attack.

Calgary EMS officials said their 911 contact centre never received the family’s call during the Tuesday night incident and they issued a national warning over the use of the Internet phone system in emergencies.

The Coventry Hills family did everything right in getting help for their child but for some reason, their voice-over provider who received their initial call never relayed it to Calgary 911, said EMS chief Tom Sampson.

“When the system failed them, they went to other resources and accessed them,” said Sampson, noting that after waiting 30 minutes for an ambulance, the family used a neighbour’s land line to contact paramedics.

Once paramedics received the call at 8:43 p.m., it took crews just under six minutes to reach the northeast home.

Paramedics attempted to resucitate the tot on the way to the Alberta Children’s Hospital but the boy died.

During the race to save the child, paramedics described working “feverishly on the little guy” whose lips had turned blue.

The family — newcomers to Calgary — remained on the line after making the initial call to an Internet provider, said Curtis Brochu, manager of the 911 public safety communications.

“They believed they were talking to 911 in Calgary but they weren’t,” said Brochu.

It’s important for Calgarians to know using the voice-over Internet protocol (VoIP) phones isn’t as direct or reliable as using a land line.

“It’s not location-based the same way a standard land line is,” he said.

But he said it’s the responsibility of the Internet provider to ensure the call is patched through to the local 911 centre.

Brochu said his department still hasn’t pinpointed where the family’s computer-based call went or why it wasn’t connected to the 911 dispatcher.

Such an incident involving voice-over Internet protocol VoIP has never occurred in Calgary but Brochu said they believe they have occurred elsewhere in Canada.

“We want to see this is addressed not only in Calgary but across the country,” said Sampson.

EMS officials said the use of such phones in emergency situations is increasing.

kaishen
04-30-2008, 06:48 PM
haha i wanted to post the news also. wonder if the family would sue the telco.

NJ Devils
04-30-2008, 06:51 PM
VONAGE lol ;p