PDA

View Full Version : Plains Midstream?

2.2vtec
04-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Has anyone here worked for this company or know anyone who works at Plains?

How do they like it?

Alterac
05-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Yea, I work for Plains, and a couple others do.

What department you looking for?

DJ_NAV
05-10-2008, 03:16 AM
u guys have a slurpee machine and a cheese machine at work???
thats awesome if u do

icecreamvan
05-10-2008, 07:06 AM
Do they short change you due to the quarterly bonuses? Does that mean that you have 4 performance reviews a year?

2.2vtec
05-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Alterac
Yea, I work for Plains, and a couple others do.

What department you looking for?

We get free slurpees, drinks, nachos + cheese, popcorn, capichino machines, etc. :D

Sounds good. A friend of mine got a job in the accounting side, I think Crudes or LPG..how's the work enviroment and corporate culture

Alterac
05-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Yea, we have a slurpee machine (2 flavors) and a cheese machine. lol..

Well here is the run down:

Work Environment/Corp Culture:
- Will not be short of work to do. hah.
- Employees are friendly, and younger
- Like every place, tons of office politics and bs.

Overall its a good place to work if you have a good manager.

The 4 performance reviews would basically be your quarterly bonus's. Most people get 10% (for basically just doing a good job). Generally this is the meeting where they let you know your bonus, and then let you know what you could do to improve it, etc.

Raises and Salary seem to get reviewed yearly. Cost of Living increase yearly.

topmade
05-10-2008, 09:08 PM
Yea, we have a slurpee machine (2 flavors) and a cheese machine. lol..

Well here is the run down:

Work Environment/Corp Culture:
- Will not be short of work to do. hah.
- Employees are friendly, and younger
- Like every place, tons of office politics and bs.

Overall its a good place to work if you have a good manager.

The 4 performance reviews would basically be your quarterly bonus's. Most people get 10% (for basically just doing a good job). Generally this is the meeting where they let you know your bonus, and then let you know what you could do to improve it, etc.

Raises and Salary seem to get reviewed yearly. Cost of Living increase yearly.

Strawberry/Banana smoothie FTMFW!!:clap: I drink like 4 of these things a day:D

icecreamvan
05-10-2008, 10:55 PM
10% of annual salary each quarter?? So that's 40% if you stay for the entire year, or am I reading this wrong?

Cheese machine mmmmmm.....

Mythorp
05-11-2008, 10:09 AM
They have the best benefits I have seen at an O&G company that I have seen so far. Great company to work for! It is a busy environment because they are ever expanding.

Yes, the free stuff is also very good. Free pop, juice, slurpee's, popcorn, assortment of fruit (Tuesday's)...etc.

Bottom line is, if you get a chance to work for this company, you won't regret it.

Alterac
05-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Sorry, the 10% is split up quartery.

So basically, if you get 10% each quarter it adds up to 10% of your salary.

10% / 4 = 2.5% per quarter.

nickyh
05-13-2008, 12:28 PM
I have wondered myself about Plains, most people I talk to say Plains is run like a sweat shop.

I have seen a few jobs pop up for there, I work in the crude marketing accounting side of the O&G Business - but have been hesitant from what others in my industry have told me about them.

Would be curious to find out more myself.

topmade
05-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Couldn't tell you much about accounting since me, Alterac and Mythorp are the IT nerds here, Alterac being the biggest nerd of all time. But accounting by nature is a bit of a sweat shop since there are always monthly deadlines to meet. Overall it is a good company, benefits are probably better then most companies, and don't forget about the free slurpees, popcorn and nacho & cheese machine:drool:

icecreamvan
05-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Can I presume that the women there have a lot of...how do you say...junk in the trunk due to the perks?

snowboard
05-13-2008, 01:18 PM
You guys hiring drafters? lol

im disgustingly slow at work, i despise having nothign to do.

Alterac
05-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by icecreamvan
Can I presume that the women there have a lot of...how do you say...junk in the trunk due to the perks?

Actually, Quite the oposite, most of the lady's here are pretty.

BlkMaxima
05-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Is this the Plains near Ramsey?

in*10*se
05-13-2008, 03:47 PM
plains is in the "seven restolounge" building. across the street from chicago steak house and the former cowboys.

i audit these guys. can't say much but, lets just say, if you're entry level, you're laughing in terms of work load.
If you're management level... you're working loads. especially in accounting.

just my 2cents.

BlkMaxima
05-13-2008, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by in*10*se
plains is in the "seven restolounge" building. across the street from chicago steak house and the former cowboys.

i audit these guys. can't say much but, lets just say, if you're entry level, you're laughing in terms of work load.

just my 2cents.

Oh, lol I was thinking of a completely different company.

icecreamvan
05-13-2008, 03:54 PM

just my 2cents.

Did you audit their "talent"?:poosie:

2.2vtec
05-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Anyone here know anything about the accounting side of things over there?

Mythorp
05-13-2008, 09:02 PM

just my 2cents.

The building is called the "Plains Midstream Plaza".

Let's be real here people, if you are working in accounting, your life is a sweatshop with all the deadlines.

As for the women, it's literally unbelievable the number of good looking women. We always comment on how well of a job HR is doing :) I would say the overall age of the company is around the 30-35 age group.

Karim316
05-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Hey any Beyonders still working here? I just got a job there and just seeing if those who were there are still there and how they are liking it?

Quiet10
05-26-2010, 11:43 AM
I started working there shortly after the last post in this thread before the bump. I like it here :) :love:

Agreed with topmade that Alterac is a big nerd.

Alterac
05-26-2010, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Quiet10
I started working there shortly after the last post in this thread before the bump. I like it here :) :love:

Agreed with topmade that Alterac is a big nerd.

Pffft...

Karim316
05-26-2010, 09:00 PM
xxxx

Alterac
05-26-2010, 09:53 PM
Well, Quiet10 and Topmade are my lackies.. and we all work in the IT group.

What do you do at plains Karim?

in*10*se
05-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Karim316
So what do you do there Quiet10 and Alterac?
I'm pretty impressed so far. Also the fact that the HR lady said there were no layoffs during the whole recession is a plus

i think you don't realize the industry that plains is in didn't change at all during the recession... i wonder if you even know how they make money... that being said... i wonder if you understand why there wouldn't be any lay offs during the recession...

topmade
05-27-2010, 08:56 AM

Lackies? This is coming from the guy that plays games all the time?

I look forward seeing you on the 1st ;). If your middle name starts with K as well you can be kkk at plainsmidstream dot com

Phenix
05-27-2010, 09:05 AM
Anyone know if they are looking for Engineers?

Karim316
05-27-2010, 11:47 AM

The position is for Crude Oil Pricing Analyst

My middle name doesn't start with k fortunately, its A
I don't know if KAK is any better

in*10*se I understand that a midstream company would not be effected by the price of oil and regardless of market conditions still need to store and transport assets. What I meant was that its an added bonus the job security of this segment

in*10*se
05-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Karim316

The position is for Crude Oil Pricing Analyst

My middle name doesn't start with k fortunately, its A
I don't know if KAK is any better

in*10*se I understand that a midstream company would not be effected by the price of oil and regardless of market conditions still need to store and transport assets. What I meant was that its an added bonus the job security of this segment

;) :clap:

lol... KAK@plains... hahah

is there a big kak @ plains? huge kak anyone? lol :rofl:

2.2vtec
05-27-2010, 12:33 PM
My buddy at plains now hates it...all politics and sweat shop labour. Definetly better companies out there.

taemo
05-27-2010, 02:58 PM
my gf works in there..didnt know there were so many beyonders that works there.

anyone in the IT department?

Jlude
05-27-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by taemo
my gf works in there..didnt know there were so many beyonders that works there.

anyone in the IT department?

Didn't you read the posts above yours, there are 3 guys in this thread that have posted in the past week, all in the IT dept.

taemo
05-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

Didn't you read the posts above yours, there are 3 guys in this thread that have posted in the past week, all in the IT dept.

sorry but I am working on a router/switch problem..just needed a quick 10second break and just briefly read the OP and Alterac's post.

Mx6er
05-27-2010, 03:43 PM
I work at plains in Business development. Last year I was in crude trading. I am one of the summer interns in the program here, and like it a lot from what I have seen. It is a work hard play hard attitude around here, but lots of room to move up and advance your career..

Mx6er
05-27-2010, 03:44 PM
I also forgot to mention it is a young company (average age is around 30 from what I have seen/ heard).

topmade
05-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by taemo

sorry but I am working on a router/switch problem..just needed a quick 10second break and just briefly read the OP and Alterac's post.
Who's your gf?;)

2.2vtec: If you have a shitty manager, you're going to have a shitty job, no way around it. I can bet that's what it is in your friends case and I can probably guess which department your buddy works at to be thinking that. Overall it's still a good company to work for with lots of room for advancment with pretty decent benefits and perks. Thankfully IT management is decent and they don't micro manage us and just let us take care of our own things.

adam c
05-27-2010, 10:22 PM
who's the IT manager there? I interviewed there a couple years ago but they said i was over qualified

Alterac
05-27-2010, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by adam c
who's the IT manager there? I interviewed there a couple years ago but they said i was over qualified

Suppose it depends on which IS department, what position were you applying for? Who did your interview?

Cody D
05-28-2010, 01:29 AM
Beleted.

topmade
06-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by adam c
You were probably interviewed by a shorter fellow for the position that Quiet10 got. He left shortly after Quiet10 got hired, and there's been a few changes within our dept.

Cody D: Why delete your perfectly fine post? We already know who you are and what you surf during work ;)

Cody D
06-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by topmade
Cody D: Why delete your perfectly fine post? We already know who you are and what you surf during work ;)

Haha, Autotrader, beyond and streetfire. I deleted my post because I realized I don't need everyone knowing where I work, but in the end it doesn't really matter. I've got so many questions for you guys, have you guys ever been to my area of the company?

Alterac
06-02-2010, 10:36 PM
Assuming you are who I think you are, there is really only 1 Cody D in the company directory ;)

adam c
06-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Yea that would have been the guy
asked some dumb senerio questions in the interview I still remember some of them

DRKM
06-02-2010, 11:10 PM
I recently applied there but doubt I will hear anything back... But it may be because I am looking for quant work coming from a physics background.

Its surprisingly hard to find quant work these days...

Sti911
01-20-2014, 02:20 PM
Hey do anyone of you still work at Plains?

busdepot
01-21-2014, 09:35 AM
I have several good buddies at plains. I don't mind asking them questions

Sti911
01-21-2014, 10:22 AM
Awesome! If you don't mind me asking what do they do for plains? I'm looking more so on the business side of things

busdepot
01-21-2014, 10:56 AM
One does LNG trading - he has a BComm and worked in scheduling with another E&P prior. He started at plains in their scheduling group and has now moved up to trading

Another does Acquisitions. He's been at Plains since graduating with his BComm in several different roles. With acquisitions, he looks at small prospects with production and determines their value based on output, leasehold values, well life, etc.

The other does business development. This includes how to reporting on how different lines of the business are progressing to report to management.

Sti911
01-21-2014, 02:22 PM
Sounds like a great company with a lot of opportunities. Reason I ask is because i have applied for their student internship program. Do you friends use beyond? Maybe I could talk directly to them to learn a bit more about the company.

woodywoodford
01-21-2014, 02:28 PM
From what I've seen/heard midstream finance is one of the more interesting finance roles in O&G....best of luck!

busdepot
01-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Sti911
Sounds like a great company with a lot of opportunities. Reason I ask is because i have applied for their student internship program. Do you friends use beyond? Maybe I could talk directly to them to learn a bit more about the company.

Nah, don't think any of them are on beyond. They're not car types. One is, but I don't think he's on here.

Sti911
01-21-2014, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by woodywoodford
From what I've seen/heard midstream finance is one of the more interesting finance roles in O&G....best of luck!
Thanks man, are you in the O&G industry as well?

Sti911
01-21-2014, 02:43 PM

battlebot
07-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Sorry to dig this thread out of the grave again.

I was wondering if anyone who still works there can give some insight on the engineering department at Plains.

battlebot
07-08-2014, 01:33 PM
bump