PDA

View Full Version : Color management?

KKY
05-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Can someone kindly explain in simple terms how to better color manage my work flow?

I've read numerous articles/guides on the web, but none of them walks me through from start to finish. It get really confusing with all the different terms they use.

Here's what I use...
Camera: Canon 30D
Raw conversion: Bibble Labs
Post processing: Photoshop
Monitor: Viewsonic CRT

I process my images for display on the web exclusively 99% of the time with odd ones that get printed 4x6 at superstore or costco or whatever.

Currently, I have a custom ICC profile for the monitor created with Adobe Gamma, sRGB for the camera, and sRGB IEC61966-2.1 for Photoshop working space. I think sRGB as well in Bibble Labs. Is that ok?

Do I have to some how tell Bibble Labs that I'm using a 30D? Do the programs care what monitor profile i'm using?

The problem is, images almost always look better on the camera lcd for some reason. I find myself having to double check the histogram, and still, I have to tweak the images when doing raw conversion. I also notice small differences in brightness and contrast between Bibble Labs and Photoshop.

I'm getting a film scanner soon. So that's one more device I'll have to configure.:nut:

Any tips and tricks to help me understand all this better would be appreciated.

Mitsu3000gt
05-02-2008, 09:03 AM
Is your camera also set to sRGB? EDIT: re-read your post and I noticed you have indeed set sRGB everywhere.

Do you shoot RAW or JPEG? If you are shooting raw, you usually will still see the JPEG displayed on your rear LCD which will have been processed according to your in-camera settings. Then, if you open the RAW file with a 3rd party program, it won't know to apply your jpeg settings and the image will look different. Could that be it?

KKY
05-02-2008, 09:43 AM
Hmm... I think you might be on to something there!

Yes, I do shoot RAW. I'll play around with the jpeg settings on my camera tonight and see if that makes any difference.

:thumbsup: