PDA

View Full Version : Cooking: Spices

rmk
05-01-2008, 10:26 PM
What are some good spices to pick up? I have no idea what are essential in cooking.

I have always wanted a spice rack.

FreakinPrince
05-01-2008, 10:27 PM
some stores actually sell these so that when you but a spice rack it comes with all sorts of species....why not check them out?? a store that sells pots and pans ....ya know?

dj_rice
05-01-2008, 11:34 PM
It all depends on what ethniticity of cooking you do alot of, if you do Italian alot, keep oregano, basil and thyme on hand

But the basics, black pepper, garlic powder, cumin, cinnamon, paprika, and dill should be good enough for white man cuisine

Gondi Stylez
05-02-2008, 02:50 AM
Dried basil, dill, parsley, etc. tastes like FUCKING GARBAGE! You might as well empty your vacuum into the food :barf:

That being said I would pick up cumin, coriander, cinnamon, all-spice, Chinese 5-spice, cloves, chili powder, paprika (smoked if you can), cayenne pepper, cardamom, nutmeg (but fresh grated is better), mixture of pepper corns (black, white, pink, green), fennel seeds (anise), bay leaves, saffron... that's all I can think of now.

This would give you the flexibility to try different ethic foods that use heavy spices to get a feel for what you like and what you don't like. Once you establish that it will be easier picking up a more tailored assortment of spices. My list includes what I call "apple pie flavors" with cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg so those should be familiar to you. All-spice is commonly used in Jamaican cuisine but also work's fantastic in Shepard's pie! 5-spice is a mixture of Chinese cinnamon, clove, star anise, Sichuan pepper corns (pink pepper) and fennel I believe. It is this distinct blend of spices that gives roast duck, Vietnamese dishes, etc. their sent and taste. The list goes on but you get the idea :thumbsup:

As for dried herbs the only one that tastes "better" dried is oregano and for the sake of convenience thyme and rosemary aren't too shabby.

Sorath
05-02-2008, 03:20 AM
all u need is garlic powder, salt, pepper, seasoning salt, chilli powder, 5spice

picmerollin
05-02-2008, 07:46 AM
costco man!!!

the spice rack is $25 and has almost everything you could need all in one.

ExtraSlow
05-02-2008, 09:18 AM
I don't reccomend buying a spice rack with the spices already in it. Firstly those spices will be garbage quality, and secondly, they will be stale as hell, even if the bottles are "sealed."
Buy a spice rack you like, then buy the spices you need as you need them. aside from a few basic things that you should keep around, fresher is better, even if it's dried spice.
When it's herbs, obviously fresh instead of dried is much better.

And spices should be kept in a dark place, and NEVER above your stove. The heat and humidity is bad for them.

For me, the basic things I keep around all the time are keens mustard powder, chilli powder, curry and cayenne. I make an effort to buy the rest as I need it.

Get out there and start cooking.

sdiep
05-02-2008, 10:26 AM
I agree that the quality of the spices in those spice racks usually lacks. You're better off buying the spices that you really would want to use and compiling your own spice rack.

You can buy those empty spice racks anywhere. And then just fill it with your essentials.

Alterac
05-02-2008, 10:28 AM
Seasame seeds are good to keep in the rack also :D

dj_rice
05-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Gondi Stylez
Dried basil, dill, parsley, etc. tastes like FUCKING GARBAGE! You might as well empty your vacuum into the food :barf:

That being said I would pick up cumin, coriander, cinnamon, all-spice, Chinese 5-spice, cloves, chili powder, paprika (smoked if you can), cayenne pepper, cardamom, nutmeg (but fresh grated is better), mixture of pepper corns (black, white, pink, green), fennel seeds (anise), bay leaves, saffron... that's all I can think of now.

This would give you the flexibility to try different ethic foods that use heavy spices to get a feel for what you like and what you don't like. Once you establish that it will be easier picking up a more tailored assortment of spices. My list includes what I call "apple pie flavors" with cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg so those should be familiar to you. All-spice is commonly used in Jamaican cuisine but also work's fantastic in Shepard's pie! 5-spice is a mixture of Chinese cinnamon, clove, star anise, Sichuan pepper corns (pink pepper) and fennel I believe. It is this distinct blend of spices that gives roast duck, Vietnamese dishes, etc. their sent and taste. The list goes on but you get the idea :thumbsup:

As for dried herbs the only one that tastes "better" dried is oregano and for the sake of convenience thyme and rosemary aren't too shabby.

This is a good list but its a lil too advanced for rmk....I just listed spices that he would prolly actually use in everyday home cooking...coriander,fennel seeds, bay leaves, saffron would prolly never be used for a beginner cook

TaiChino
05-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
But the basics, black pepper, garlic powder, cumin, cinnamon, paprika, and dill should be good enough for white man cuisine

I thought white man cuisine was just some S&P and Mrs. Dash