PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Work Permit but No Job. Can I reenter Canada?

eblend
05-01-2008, 11:03 PM
Well this is for a friend of mine, so here we go.

My friend got a work permit that expires in 2009 in Feb. She has since quit her job here because her boss was not good, so basically, she can't work anywhere else, other then where her permit states. She wants to stay here until the work permit expires, so feb 2009. That is all fine, and I believe she can do that since she isn't working right now and just living off savings. The problem is this, her grandma is very sick and is going to pass away, so she wants to fly out to her home country for a little bit to be with her grandma for a little bit, and then comeback and finish her stay here.

She has travelled to her home country and back while living here and working at her place, and reentered without any issues. Now she still has a permit but does no longer work anywhere. Can she reenter still and just not work until her work permit expires, or will she have trouble reentering?

codetrap
05-02-2008, 07:51 AM
Call immigration.

$lick_rYz
05-02-2008, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
Call immigration.

:werd: You don't want to end up giving her information that may not be correct and her finding out the hard way

TomcoPDR
05-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by $lick_rYz

:werd: You don't want to end up giving her information that may not be correct and her finding out the hard way

+1

Hope everything works out for her.

Weapon_R
05-02-2008, 11:51 AM
If she has quit for more than 30 days, her visa is no longer valid. She should have found another job first, got permission from her point of contact to change jobs, and then quit her original job. Since her visa is now invalid, she would be entering the U.S. under fraudulent pretenses, but I do not know what the penalty is if she gets caught.