PDA

View Full Version : To hair or not to hair?

Kloubek
05-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Ok, I'm only looking for responses from those guys who are older, or anyone who is starting to (or has) lost their hair. The kids on this site need not comment, since it's hard to understand the difficulties involved in losing your hair. Don't worry - give it a few more years and you'll have your chance. :)

At 33, I can no longer use subtle combover tricks, and simply growing my hair longer isn't working either - as you can see in the pics.

So what should I do gentlemen? Shave it all off and go bald? Cut it really short? Or should I just let nature take it's course and just continue getting my hair cut when I feel like it? What are my transplant options, etc?

JRSC00LUDE
05-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Shave it off, I've been buzzing mine since even before it started to recede. I just like it that way, there's no shame in bald!

EDIT - Funny thing though, when I was home for my grandfathers funeral this past winter all the old people that hadn't seen me for a long time were asking my grandma if I had cancer! :rofl:

ralliart_girl
05-02-2008, 11:31 AM
I have a friend that has been going bald since we were in college. My opinion: go short for sure. It makes a huge difference. If you feel comfortable enough, go shaved!

analbumcover
05-02-2008, 11:31 AM
i think if you actually washed your hair and used a regenerating conditioner you may not have this problem.

Get some Rogain man or shave it but not completely bald

Pierre Maguire look FTL

also wanted to throw in a not completely related jingle

"it looks so natural, no one can tell, just for men gel"

heavyD
05-02-2008, 11:32 AM
I know a guy that was 23 and had a hair piece. I didn't know he had a piece for over a year and that's because someone told me. You don't look bad enough for that. Just shave your head to see if it is a long term solution. At the very least it will grow back to what it is now if you don't like it. Not sure how well transplants really work and the $$$ involved.

Kloubek
05-02-2008, 11:32 AM
I may not use a conditioner, but I do wash my hair daily. :)

Originally posted by analbumcover
i think if you actually washed your hair and used a regenerating conditioner you may not have this problem.

Oh, and I refuse to do a hairpiece. I'm not THAT worried about my looks. (Already got my woman anyway, and she doesn't care.)

Importz
05-02-2008, 11:43 AM
http://www.fabaocanada.com/Toppik.htm?gclid=COyx9syuiJMCFQnOiQod8CSVTA

http://www.folica.com/DermMatch_d1211.html

Kritafo
05-02-2008, 11:46 AM
I would shave it off when you maybe have some time off or a long weekend.

Shaved heads are very sexxxy.

It's so much better when men shave it or keep it really short when they are thinning, looks horrible when they start the obvious comb-overs and covering tricks or they were the ball cap 24 hours a day.

urbannomad
05-02-2008, 12:20 PM
you could try minoxidil.....if you have friends/family in the states ask them to ship it to you. It'll be a lot cheaper!

10$ compared to 30$! :eek:

Kloubek
05-02-2008, 12:44 PM
I don't think I'll bother with the lotions, chemicals, etc. They are super expensive, and often very toxic to cats. (Of which I have two).

Seems like the poll suggests I just shave it all off. I think what I'll do is get my girlfriend to shave it short tonight, and see how it looks. It might progress into a full-on head shave if I don't like the results....

Thanks for contributing everyone!

lint
05-02-2008, 01:25 PM
not everyone can pull off a shaved head. I'd say go short first and then see what your head shape looks like before taking the full plunge.

98type_r
05-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by lint
not everyone can pull off a shaved head. I'd say go short first and then see what your head shape looks like before taking the full plunge.

:werd:
gotta make sure the melon works for the shaved look. If it does then yeah I have to say shave it all off. I have a couple friends who had receding hairlines and just shaved it all. Looks better IMO

QuasarCav
05-02-2008, 01:45 PM
I am 25 and worse than that. If I keep my hair short it's not too bad.

ZorroAMG
05-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Shiney Bic head only works on some people...buzz it really short first, that usually looks great.

Darkane
05-02-2008, 02:10 PM
One word........

SKULLET! You WON'T be sorry.

Lex350
05-02-2008, 02:33 PM
go short...not all guys can carry off the bald look.

Stephen81
05-02-2008, 10:57 PM
If you haven't already, pick up some Nioxin shampoo and conditioner...

http://www.nioxin.com/

it's not attempting to be a cure for baldness but it is a great cleansing shampoo for people with fine or thinning hair. No harm in keeping whatever hair you have left in good shape! You can pick it up at pretty much any salon and it isn't cheap but I'd buy it over Pert Plus any day.

Most of the products like Rogaine have only ever been proven to have the potential to regrow hair at the crown of your head so while you may see some gain there through chemicals your forehead is out of luck.

Like everyone has said, try the shorter look or shaved if your head looks right!

I've been receding up front but nowhere else (yet lol) and it doesn't really bother me anymore but in ten years when I'm 35 I presume the technology behind hair restoration will be pretty decent and I'll drop some cash then so i can buy a Vette and let the wind blow through my hair with the top down :bigpimp:

VWbloke
05-04-2008, 04:00 AM
Buzzing it is definitely the way to go. My hair began to thin at age 19 and gradually progressed to a balding crown and receding hair line. You're lucky in some ways that this is only just beginning to affect you. It's much tougher at a young age.

At age 22 I decided to take the plunge and buzz all of it off and I haven't looked back (I'm 28 now). I purchased a $50 trimmer from London Drugs and although it's technically for your beard, it works great on the head, too. I set it to it's lowest setting (setting 1) and use it once or twice a week.

I can't tell you how liberating it is once you do it. It's so low maintenance and lots of chicks dig the buzzed look. Although it looks like you've already got yourself a gal.

Welcome to the bald brotherhood!

4lti7ude
05-04-2008, 04:25 AM
Shave it for the the Bruce Willis look :thumbsup:

pinoyhero
05-04-2008, 08:22 AM
^Yes, Bruce Willis FTW

Kloubek
05-04-2008, 08:38 AM
I'm pretty impressed by the responses - thanks guys!

So, I handed her my trimmer, and told her to go nuts. She suggested (not that she's a hairstylist or anything) that we leave the top a little longer, but not much.

In short, what I ended up with is a buzz on the sides and back (about 1cm tops), and a little longer on top. At least that spot of the back of my head isn't obvious now, since it was pretty glaring when I had the rest of my hair so long.

Ahhhh... the joys of aging. :)

Ben
05-04-2008, 08:54 AM
No One suggested a Cul De Sac!!!

WTF!

b_t
05-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Ben
No One suggested a Cul De Sac!!!

WTF!

when I finally do shave my head, it won't be too long, I'm going to shave the top off for the cul de sac look and sport that for a week or two before cutting the rest off

to the OP, 33 isn't bad at all. I've started to look into this stuff myself and I'm only 21. You are comparatively lucky :D

Penis McNickels
05-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
One word........

SKULLET! You WON'T be sorry.

http://img165.imageshack.us/img165/8981/devaq6.jpg

charizard
05-05-2008, 04:56 PM
do what I do, slap a mink on it:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/229/491726338_4c1d149fe6_o.jpg

no, but seriously, the most "natural" look is probably buzzing it, I have several friends who are balding or atleast thinning, and they just buzz their hair.

Graham_A_M
05-05-2008, 06:36 PM
I was balding quite a bit worse then you a few years ago, at the ripe old age of 23:thumbsdow

I tried this Nioxin, and it slowed down the rate of the hair loss, but it didn't stop it. So I kept looking.

I found this absolutely stellar stuff, its called "Segals Solutions".
basically, I reversed the process and grew almost all my hair back.
The thing is, is that hair loss needs to be stopped early on before it gets rampant. (I learned this when I started taking this stuff, after researching it online). When the hair follicle stops producing hair, its not dead yet. Its basically in this limbo before completely dying. I dont know how long it is, I'm sure its various, for me probably half a year maybe... perhaps a little more?
But if you do this treatment, and catch it before the follicle dies, you can reverse the process and get it to start producing hair again. I was a bit late, so I still have some small peaks on either side of my forehead, but my bald spot disappeared, and my hair thickened immediately. The "peaks" disappeared mostly too.

I get it through Adrienne at this place called "Bomb shells beauty bar"

(Dont laugh, I know someone there, thats why I go there to get this)
Its just a Shampoo, conditioner, and this liquid like gel thats almost scentless that you put in your hair afterwards near the balding areas. Yet after a month I noticed some huge results.
I gave it to my brother and so did he. Great stuff.
I get two 1 liter bottles of each the shampoo & conditioner as well as a small 300mL bottle of this serum, and that rune me about $100.

gofastmerc
05-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Bah, I can't wait for my hair to fall out. I had it when I needed it, I don't need it any more.

Kloubek
05-05-2008, 09:47 PM
Yeah, I've been lucky to have a lot of hair.... but the time has come. That's cool - I really don't mind my super-short doo.

Thanks Graham - I might look into that stuff. I can't imagine that you go through a liter all that quickly so it's not *that* bad of a deal.

G-ZUS
05-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Whatever you do don't take Propecia, it greatly decreases your ability to get an erection

BlackArcher101
05-06-2008, 12:51 AM
Balding in junior high, started buzzing it in high school. A few years out of high school, I started shaving/bic'ing it. Been shaving it ever since. A hell of a lot better than sporting the cul-de-sac.

theken
05-08-2008, 08:54 PM
i am not losing my hair at all but i thought i would chime in about the short hair and balding and what not.

I have always have longer hair, not girly long but sometimes mid ear, but mostly eye length. I went for a 1 inch buzz, loved it, wanted t shorter, went to a 1/2 inch loved it too. shaved my head, looked like lurch from addams family, and had some weird spots on my head that i didn't know existed, couldn't wait for my hair to grow back, now i amk growing it kind of long again, and a big ass beard haha.

bulaian
05-12-2008, 09:32 AM
i'm 24 and my hair started to thin about 2-3 years back. I did like theken did and went with a 1inch buzz but it started to get a bit worse, so I went with a half inch buzz for about a year. I finally shaved it all off and haven't looked back since

sexualbanana
05-12-2008, 02:51 PM
I can only assume from the picture of the top 1/3 of your head, but I think if you shaved your head, you would actually look like a cancer patient. I think the bald head only really works with slightly wider heads than yours. Obviously a bald head will make the shape of your head very apparent, and it can make people look really good, or REALLY bad.

FilthyMcNasty
05-13-2008, 10:25 AM
go make an appointment with this guy

http://www.gillespieclinic.com/dr_gillespie/index.htm

he will tell you everything you need to know.

I highly recommend him!:thumbsup:

FilthyMcNasty
05-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
Whatever you do don't take Propecia, it greatly decreases your ability to get an erection

haha maybe it decreases YOUR ability. sucka