PDA

View Full Version : Race City to die?

HOK
08-18-2003, 01:58 AM
I've heard from multiple reliable (sort of) sources that Race City is going to be torn down... is this true? Because they lose tons of money and because they lost all the top fuel contracts (at least the ones that mattered).

I really really really hope not...

Fluidic
08-18-2003, 02:05 AM
Well damn... let's certainly hope not. I kinda doubt it since they were paving last time I was there... that's a sure sign there's actually money there... and it's being spent to "better" the roads. :thumbsup:

Peter

Mckenzie
08-18-2003, 05:58 AM
I think that if it did close down that the city should buy it up and open up the 1/4 mile track a few more nights a week to curb street racing. MAybe even open up the oval and do up the pylons and make a little moto-x track too. There would be no excuse then to be out and about street racing. :)

4wheeldrift
08-18-2003, 06:51 AM
If the schedule is any indication, that facility should be healthy. They basically end up being booked solid from may to october, its hard to get dates after mid-february now. With that kind of demand, I don't see how they could be losing money, unless their maintenance costs are way out of sight.

rage2
08-18-2003, 08:13 AM
There's rumors that the city is not renewing their lease on the land soon... but I hear those rumors pretty much once every 5 years.

Toms-Celica
08-18-2003, 10:27 AM
I work at the City of Calgary, right beside the Land Use department. I took a quick peak at the maps they have hanging up to see what the land in that area is for, I forgot now but I will go take a look when their door is unlocked.

rage2
08-18-2003, 11:08 AM
I was told the city's going to convert it into a dump.

Hash_man
08-18-2003, 11:23 AM
Thats BS if they try to get rid of race city. And it will only make the Street racing problem 10 times worse.

Team_Mclaren
08-18-2003, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Hash_man
Thats BS if they try to get rid of race city. And it will only make the Street racing problem 10 times worse.

ya, thats just dumb.!!!!! we should go and protest !!!!!!

:bigpimp:

Fluidic
08-18-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

ya, thats just dumb.!!!!! we should go and protest !!!!!!

:bigpimp:

I'm up for doing that. I have a few connections at CBC... I'm sure we could get some coverage! ;) :)

Peter

4DoorGTZ
08-19-2003, 12:08 AM
Not that I want to see it happen, But in time I believe the lease will be revoked by the city. Drive around the new area's on a Friday (Secret Street) night. You can hear Race City from MacKenzie Town, and as development moves out east it will just get closer and closer.

In the next few years there could be significant residential development very close to Race City. The town of Sheppard already puts up with it, but do you think people in their brand new $200k + Homes will? I say Race City is moved or close down in the next 10 years.

4G63Power
08-19-2003, 12:31 AM
I remember rumors of a 1/4 mile and road track to be built in the future at Ricky Bob's (the go-cart place). Anyone know any truth to this...or was it just a rumor.

Hash_man
08-19-2003, 12:54 AM
I can kinda understand why those neighbourhoods wouldnt like the noise, but look what they did, they bought a 200,000+ house right next to the Deerfoot 500... I mean, race city cant be worse than that, especially cuz it is only really one night a week.

T5Bird
08-19-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by 4DoorGTZ
Not that I want to see it happen, But in time I believe the lease will be revoked by the city. Drive around the new area's on a Friday (Secret Street) night. You can hear Race City from MacKenzie Town, and as development moves out east it will just get closer and closer.

In the next few years there could be significant residential development very close to Race City. The town of Sheppard already puts up with it, but do you think people in their brand new $200k + Homes will? I say Race City is moved or close down in the next 10 years.

That's great, but if these goddamn yuppies want to buy/build there $200,000+ house within 10 miles of a race track then they have absolutley no valid complaint about noise. Do you think that because some fucking idiot yuppie builds his house on a flight path near the airport they are gonna move it because he can't drink his goddamn latte on his vinyl deck in peace??? Race City was there first, if they don't like it, they can take a flying fuck on a rolling donut!:poosie: rant off

BigMass
08-19-2003, 07:58 AM
yep. Race City was there first. When you move into that area you KNOW that there is a race track near by. If you still choose to live there, then you really have no reason to complain unless it's for the sake of complaining. My only problem with Race City is the damned mosquitos. They really need to spray that shit.

fast95pony
08-19-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by BigMass
My only problem with Race City is the damned mosquitos. They really need to spray that shit.

The mosquitos were there first... :poosie:

It would be a real shame if Race City closed without another track being built. The land around Race City is industrial and swampy ,and has a sewage facility nearby . I can't see anyone wanting a house built too close to that area , but I could see more industrial buildings going up...
:(

redec
08-19-2003, 12:26 PM
I can kinda understand why those neighbourhoods wouldnt like the noise, but look what they did, they bought a 200,000+ house right next to the Deerfoot 500... I mean, race city cant be worse than that, especially cuz it is only really one night a week.

Deerfoot is very quiet compared to race city....sound attenuation walls and the such kill of pretty much all the noise

Originally posted by T5Bird

That's great, but if these goddamn yuppies want to buy/build there $200,000+ house within 10 miles of a race track then they have absolutley no valid complaint about noise. Do you think that because some fucking idiot yuppie builds his house on a flight path near the airport they are gonna move it because he can't drink his goddamn latte on his vinyl deck in peace??? Race City was there first, if they don't like it, they can take a flying fuck on a rolling donut!:poosie: rant off

Race city is hardly as big as an airport, and not to mention it is a private business leasing land from the city. As if anyone cares that it was there first, the city is growing out that direction very quickly. you think the city should build around race city, and bring down the value of hundreds if not thousands of homes, just for this private business? Seems a little unrealistic to me. Race city will be shut down eventually, for good reason, hopefully it will open up somewhere else when it happens.

btw there are alot of people on this board who live in that area of town, including a couple administrators....I'm sure they don't appreciate being called yuppies too much

rage2
08-19-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by redec
btw there are alot of people on this board who live in that area of town, including a couple administrators....I'm sure they don't appreciate being called yuppies too much
Shut up yuppie! :rofl:

Anyways, in Monterey, California, there are houses that are literally 400ft from Laguna Seca. The track was there first, and those people have to deal with living besides a racetrack. Laguna Seca is very good though in terms of noise regulation. If you run there, your car gets "sound tested" and approved before you can hit the track.

Ben
08-19-2003, 05:44 PM
I also do not like being called a Yuppie thanks, :P I like my home.

ixlr8
08-19-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by redec

Ohhh no Dustin (T5bird), you might get kicked off of beyond :rolleyes:, you damn yuppie! :( :thumbsup:

Well said birdman! Next thing you know they'll want the dump moved. Lord knows it stinks like hell in McKenzie town. :barf:

T5Bird
08-19-2003, 06:23 PM
My point was that the fucking crybabies are typically the Yuppies, So yes I guess If YOU bought/built a house near somewhere loud and then cried about it, then I am calling you a yuppie!:poosie: :guns:

Altezza
08-19-2003, 06:51 PM
My point was that the fucking crybabies are typically the Yuppies, So yes I guess If YOU bought/built a house near somewhere loud and then cried about it, then I am calling you a yuppie!:poosie: :guns:

Reminds me of all the people along Country Hills Blvd who complain about the noise. :rolleyes:

You must give credit to some of these "yuppies" though. Think about it...build a home in a remote area with loud noise from a near-by race track. Bitch, complain, pull strings, talk to all the affluential persons they know, get rid of the race track, and voila, instant 25% property value increase.

On the other hand, it could backfire...especially if the track gets turned into a garbage dump. Instant 50% property value drop.

reijo
08-19-2003, 07:16 PM
Sounds like an old rumour to me........recurring one that is. :D

My information (and I've done work there) says that Art negotiated and signed a new lease for 15 years this spring if I recall correctly.

FYI, the City of Calgary owns the land that Race City is situated on and it has always been zoned to be a sanitary landfill (dump). That has not been changed except that with recycling and such, the City has not had to use as much land for landfill as originally expected and Race City, as a consequence, is still existing!

Want Race City for a little longer? RECYCLE! ;)

Yuppies? Heck, those aren't yuppies........those are just people who think they are getting a cheap lot that is equivalent to a more expensive lot in a good neighbourhood. You gets what you pays for, right? :eek: :D

Oh, and as far as Race City making a lot of money goes; think of it this way: How does a facility that is used extensively for only 4-5 months a year exist? Think about it. What if the company you worked for stayed open for less than half a year but had to cover overhead for an entire year?

Reijo

4DoorGTZ
08-19-2003, 11:08 PM

Dustin, An airport is very hard to demolish/move. Race City in turn just has to have the lease revoked and WAM. Completly different story Track vs Airport. The city cant just revoke a lease for the airport and tear it down.

rage2
08-19-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by reijo
My information (and I've done work there) says that Art negotiated and signed a new lease for 15 years this spring if I recall correctly.
Thanks for clearing it up Reijo. Good to know the facilities will be around for at least 15 years :).

4wheeldrift
08-20-2003, 06:39 AM
I don't see what the big deal is anyways. If they get complaints about the noise, all that is likely to happen is there'll be a sound level set and people will be required to run with mufflers. The track is well over 2km from any residential developments in any direction, its in the middle of an industrial area. They should have no problems keeping noise under control.

Toms-Celica
08-20-2003, 08:14 AM
The rumours about it being zoned for a garbage dump are incorrect. The City would be building to close to a built up area which could cause problems in the long run.

Z24
08-20-2003, 09:38 AM

I agree!

kenny
08-20-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Shut up yuppie! :rofl:

Anyways, in Monterey, California, there are houses that are literally 400ft from Laguna Seca. The track was there first, and those people have to deal with living besides a racetrack. Laguna Seca is very good though in terms of noise regulation. If you run there, your car gets "sound tested" and approved before you can hit the track.

You're comparing Race City to Laguna Seca hahah :rofl: The city will force Race City to move, guarenteed. I'm guessing within three years. The city will probably snake out of any agreements it has with Race City and offer them a deal though on cheaper land somewhere further away from the city. But then again, we'll see!

rage2
08-20-2003, 01:50 PM
There's a lot of $ involved for relocating the track... does the city have to foot the bill if they're forced to move?

Toms-Celica
08-20-2003, 03:53 PM
Umm, chances are no. There is a peice of equipment that could save a team of 14 people 2 years of hard work but it costs $250,000 and the city won't spend that much. Hhaha, to buy out race city? yea, right

HOK
08-21-2003, 12:14 PM
15 years? really? was this from the horses mouth... cause it would be a good thing if it were true...

kenny
08-21-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by rage2
There's a lot of $ involved for relocating the track... does the city have to foot the bill if they're forced to move?

I'm curious about this too, an example of this (on a much smaller scale) is the expansion of 16th Ave where Rosedale Cleaners was forced to move a block away so the city could tear down the building and expand the road. Did the City have to pick up the tab for the new building? How does that work?

08-21-2003, 05:55 PM
There is around 15 years left on their lease (I can't remember if it was renewed this year or last but it was renewed for 15 years).
The Calgary Kart Club built their club track in 2001 on the land that Race City leases from the City. There were some very smart, well informed and influental people that were involved and they would not have built it if they were not confident in the time frame they had for the track.
The land is zoned for a Sanitary land fill and that is a fact. If you think that the City would not have a Sanitary land fill that close to residential area, think again. The Sheppard sanitary land fill is on 52st at 114ave. which is even closer to Mac Town.

I lived in pretty much in the middle of Mac Town and have not found the noise to be a problem. When cascar was here in July I could faintly here them on the Firday night when the mower was shut off.

The problems race city faces is that the facility is worn down, requires lots of maintenance, the revenue streams are not strong enough and their insurance cost keep increasing.
The facility is for sale (I have no idea what the price tag is). Maybe a new owner could turn it around with a different strategy.

Of course there are no garantees in life, but they do have a contract.

REFLUX
08-22-2003, 10:16 PM
:eek:
Race City better not be shutdown!!
I've only had one taste of road racing....and I want more!!!!!! :(

silverEL
08-22-2003, 11:49 PM
they could sure loose that retard of an announcer, he knows nothing about cars, and i dont like his smart ass comments

FD and I were making fun of him tonite, hes a dipshit