PDA

View Full Version : Appealing a conviction.

Paulk_04
05-02-2008, 10:08 PM
So I went to change my court date about a month ago for a speeding ticket and a failure to produce valid insurance. The cop said I was going faster than I was (about 10km/hr faster), so I wanted to fight it and hopefully lower it. Unfortunately the clerk only changed the court date for the insurance ticket while the speeding ticket stayed the same and I got convicted in my absence. So I'm really pissed. And I was wondering if any body knows how to undue this conviction or am I SOL and I should just pay the tickets full.

97'Scort
05-03-2008, 12:59 AM
Step 1: Talk to crown prosecutor.
Step 2: Smack self on forehead for not getting the change in writing.
Step 3: Stop speeding and start carrying insurance.
Step 4: Hire lawyer to appeal conviction, because that's your only way to get it overturned.

JordanAndrew
05-03-2008, 01:05 AM
Talk to pointts and see if they can help you out.

BlueGoblin
05-03-2008, 01:38 AM
You fill out this form (http://www.albertacourts.ab.ca/pc/traffic/J1931.pdf) ASAP. Write in it your explaination for the missed court date. Take it to Traffic Court and talk to the people at the counter who will direct you further. A traffic court commissioner will review it and rule on it that day.

spikerS
05-03-2008, 12:40 PM
I had to to this a few years ago.

Had to go see the court clerks, and file a form to "file a late appeal". someone stamped it. was able to then file an appeal, went before the court, and was able to appeal the charges and won. :thumbsup: