PDA

View Full Version : Best Falafels/Shwarmas in Calgary?

Legless_Marine2
05-02-2008, 11:33 PM
I rate the Sam's Sandwich at Kensington's Falafel Station as the hands-down best Shwarma in town.

Runner-up goes to "The Chick Pea", and "Falafel King".

signature7
05-02-2008, 11:40 PM
why is it in entertainment...

and sams is good, i like how it's not messy, so it's good if you're dining in, but i've noticed a lot of upsell, and him giving you food you dont ask for then charging for it later. He's nice but in apushy way

Legless_Marine2
05-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by signature7
why is it in entertainment...

and sams is good, i like how it's not messy, so it's good if you're dining in, but i've noticed a lot of upsell, and him giving you food you dont ask for then charging for it later. He's nice but in apushy way

Looks like I mis-posted. Perhaps a mod will do us a service and move to the appropriate forum.

jfulton
05-03-2008, 10:22 AM
I think TAZZA is the best for shwarmas and such , family owned and operated , very nice people ..

Down in bridgeland

Oldskool
05-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Jimmy's A&A (20th Ave NW) has the best shwarma I've ever had in Calgary

Eken9
05-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Oldskool

:werd:

They're a little overwhelming personality wise, but man they make some good food:thumbsup:

Benny
05-03-2008, 11:13 AM

If you go your first time, don't get a large. Get a medium, it's plenty big. :eek:

But yeah, they're easily the best in the city.

trieuth
05-03-2008, 12:17 PM
:werd: jimmy a&a's

HybridTheory
05-03-2008, 12:44 PM
:werd: on the Jimmy's

The larges are crazy...I think a medium is filling enough.

trieuth
05-03-2008, 12:49 PM
the large is like a little baby....

Toms-SC
05-03-2008, 12:49 PM
Jimmys

5hift
05-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Legless_Marine2
I rate the Sam's Sandwich at Kensington's Falafel Station as the hands-down best Shwarma in town.

I'm pretty sure that Kensington Shwarma place was fined and temporaly shut down for health violations last year.

Kritafo
05-03-2008, 01:18 PM
how are Jimmy's Falafels? Maybe I found out where we are going for our lunch, although I have soup on the go .. but for a good falafel I could hold off on the soup.

ruffryder
05-03-2008, 01:19 PM
havent tried any of the places mentioned.. but thats mainly because, shwarma king on 14st right off 17th ave is by far the best place ive ever been for shwarmas and ill probebly never go anywhere else.

there right next door to vogglios and best of all they're open til 4am..

definatly worth checking out and the prices are very resonable when compared to some other joints in calgary.

Benny
05-03-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by trieuth
the large is like a little baby....

Yeah my medium last week was like a football. I had a hard time getting her down before I had to be back in class.

a social dsease
05-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Another vote for Jimmy's. So tasty, yet so messy!

Ukyo8
05-03-2008, 02:21 PM
Whats a good spot close to the very south?

charizard
05-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Babylon Foods

Legless_Marine2
05-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by 5hift

I'm pretty sure that Kensington Shwarma place was fined and temporaly shut down for health violations last year.

You're thinking Shawarma station on Kensington road and 13th Street. The used to be shameless about co-handling money and food, among other things. I've been back, and think they've cleaned up their act...although one really never knows.

The one I'm talking about the is Falafel Staion, on 10th street, across from the Roasterie.

adidas
05-06-2008, 03:28 PM
Personally i thought Jimmys was horrible, the sweet sauce that they put on was horrible, the meat was cold. I didnt enjoy it at all and threw out most of it.

Tazza was jsut okay for me, really small, but the atmosphere in there was great.

I like the guy on 17th and 11st the best...hes located right beside spy city...kinda messy but they taste great. Shwarma king isnt all that bad either, although the onion is strong.

Xtrema
05-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by adidas
Tazza was jsut okay for me, really small, but the atmosphere in there was great.

Food isn't the best but sitting @ the patio on a good day is great. Feel like you're in a small vacation town.

Grogador
05-06-2008, 03:43 PM
+8 for Jimmy's A&A (20th Ave NW)

Babylon Foods on the corner of Memorial Dr. and 28th St. N.E. (2mins east of Deerfoot) has no falafels but delicious shwarmas, kebabs, rice plates with various goodies... good price and friendly peeps too check it out!

ThisPersian
05-06-2008, 04:09 PM
yup been to shwarma king and its good, though i enjoyed the drink more than the actual meal,
you need strong flavor to overpass the Persian meals...

signature7
05-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Legless_Marine2

You're thinking Shawarma station on Kensington road and 13th Street. The used to be shameless about co-handling money and food, among other things. I've been back, and think they've cleaned up their act...although one really never knows.

The one I'm talking about the is Falafel Staion, on 10th street, across from the Roasterie.

sorry, i was talking about shwarma station as well. I haven't been to the on eyou're talking about, but Shwarma King on kensington also was on the calgary health region list.

gaijin
05-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by adidas
I like the guy on 17th and 11st the best...hes located right beside spy city...kinda messy but they taste great.
That place is called Sammi's or Sammy's, I forget which. Excellent schwarmas, especially the beef. I go there a lot, get a large beef with garlic/tihini and everything but cabbage. I prefer it to Schwarma King, I always find Schwarma King schwarmas are colder and have less flavour and I'm not a fan of their toppings. Extra sauce at Sammy's helps too.

More specifically, there are two main guys there, and even though I've been going for years, I'm not sure of their names. There's a fatter older guy who's the owner, he's not in too often. He makes good schwarmas, but you really want the other guy. He's slimmer and a bit younger, and he knows how to make a good schwarma. Mostly it's the fact that he wraps it well, so it's easier to eat.

Anyhow, good stuff.

sxtasy
05-06-2008, 08:48 PM
yup i agree Sammy's is fantastic, and the people there are nice. I go there all the time

broken_legs
05-06-2008, 08:50 PM

+20

Proyecto2000
05-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Sammy's by the spy shop on 17th gets my vote aswell:thumbsup:

FiveFreshFish
05-06-2008, 08:53 PM
I like Cedars Deli on Edmonton Trail.

petoria
05-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Tazza
and where is Jimmys??

dino_martini
05-07-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by petoria
Tazza
and where is Jimmys??

Its at 1401 20 Ave NW

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd86/dino_martini/jimmys.jpg

Quickstrike
05-14-2008, 01:45 PM
No place can touch Aida's Mediterranean Bistro on 2208 4 Street SW.

The Lebanese food there is to die for! Seriously though, buy a sample platter and try some of the things they serve, you will be a customer for life.

It isn't a fast-food restaurant like some of the others mentioned, but you can also order in by phone for pick-up (if you are in a hurry).

I think the beef shwarma's are around $5-6. They aren't the largest shwarma's in town, so you might have to order 2, but the taste is like nothing else. :clap:

ZorroAMG
05-14-2008, 03:17 PM
Aida's is THE Lebanese restaurant in Calgary for sit down...don't bother going anywhere else....it is the closest to authentic Lebanese home cooked dishes.

Quote that for truth, peeps.

For fast food, try the new place on I believe 6th Ave and 6th Street....

JRSC00LUDE
05-14-2008, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Aida's is THE Lebanese restaurant in Calgary for sit down...don't bother going anywhere else....it is the closest to authentic Lebanese home cooked dishes.

Quote that for truth, peeps.

Yes sir, right away sir! QFT as requested.

Godfuader
05-14-2008, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
I like Cedars Deli on Edmonton Trail.
Just had that for lunch...must say it was sub-par. Will try something else on the menu sometime this week before passing my final verdict. I like the place downtown off 8th, behind the bay....Falafel King, i think.

Godfuader
05-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Just got back from Jimmys...man that was messy!! The last quarter was like soup sandwhich...still that was pretty good.