PDA

View Full Version : wierd car sale transaction question

asp integra
05-04-2008, 12:03 AM
well i am selling my car and someone found one of my fs adds on craigs list, any ways the person was interested in the car and wants to buy it, she is located in london and she wants to buy it for her son, who is in florida, now does this sound like a scam or something? they havnt asked about getting an inspection done on it, and dont seem to want to check it out before buying it, the person just wanted my info so we could work out the sale of the car and then shipping it to the states, what are your guys thoughs, does this sound a little wierd to anyone else?

Team_Mclaren
05-04-2008, 12:04 AM
scam thought it was pretty obvious

dj_rice
05-04-2008, 12:08 AM
You should sell it and then see how the story turns out

jdmSiR
05-04-2008, 12:10 AM
i got one of these, literally the exact same message, its obviously a scam

Eleanor
05-04-2008, 12:49 AM
My Nigerian uncle is also interested ;)

Rocky
05-04-2008, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
You should sell it and then see how the story turns out
+1 :rofl:

schocker
05-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Sounds pretty legit to me, might aswell give it a try as dj_rice said.

BigMass
05-04-2008, 08:34 AM
It's obviously a scam, but what’s the problem? Tell them to send you the cash then you'll do anything they want with the car. Simple. (obviously the scam will involve you somehow parting with the car before you get the money)

Kloubek
05-04-2008, 08:39 AM
^^ Nevermind with toying with the person.

It's obviously a scam. Note to all: If someone cannot come to meet you for the transaction, DON'T DO IT. That's the bottom line, unless you're using Ebay, etc.

civicman
05-04-2008, 09:09 AM
get cash...the only way that she will be able to send money is through a fake money draft and they have there money drafts down to an art....but there is pay pal....but unless its cash or pay pal id tell her to piss off its defiantly a scam

weeznah
05-04-2008, 11:27 AM
make sure the money goes through before you give them anything.

turbo4dr
05-04-2008, 11:38 AM
MAJOR SCAM..... MAJOR SCAM.... THIS IS A MAJOR SCAM.....LOOK OUT HERE COMES THE MAJOR SCAMMMMMMMMM

(SPIDERMAN SAYS THIS IS A SCAM)

ExtraSlow
05-04-2008, 11:46 AM
100% scam.

Godfuader
05-04-2008, 11:49 AM
Craigslist has these scammers for every item. I was trying to sell my ipod and I recieved a couple messages indicating the same story, one with "my brother is serving in Nigeria", another with "its my sons b-day but im stuck in Germany"....very evident scam. :thumbsdow

2BLUE
05-04-2008, 03:43 PM
They do send you a check...but its fake...just went through this last week.

dj_rice
05-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
They do send you a check...but its fake...just went through this last week.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: and you have to wonder...HOW did you ban yourself...hmmm :rolleyes: :rofl: :rofl: ;)

Dooms_Bane
05-04-2008, 04:04 PM
ummm my friends parents sold their truck from there... person didnt want an inspection at all. or anything just forwarded te info got the money FIRST then shipped the car after.

mlafreni
05-04-2008, 09:01 PM
apparently what happens is they send you a money order or cheque but it is for the wrong amount (much higher) and then beg you to cash it and send them back the difference of the amount. problem is you have sent them a few grand from their 'mistake extra money' and then the bank realizes it was a fake cheque and demand all the money back.... and of course, they are long gone with your money...

but give it a shot! who knows :dunno:

Go4Long
05-04-2008, 09:16 PM
there's about a hundred variations of it, but it's all essentially the same scam.

Ferio_vti
05-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Tell them you'll only accept payment in Canadian Tire money.

import_rider
05-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Gotta love craigslist.... I wonder how many people actually fall for the 2005 BMW M3 Converitble for $4000.....scams.

stunta666
05-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by import_rider
Gotta love craigslist.... I wonder how many people actually fall for the 2005 BMW M3 Converitble for $4000.....scams.

You mean those m3's aren't real. Fuck i just gave them $12,000 for 3 of them, one each for me and the mrs and the 3rd one to use as a winter beater.

asp integra
05-09-2008, 06:39 PM
haha ya i thought it was a scam from the first time i got an e mail from the person

they said they were mailing out the check this coming monday, i will just have to se what happens hahaha

canuckcarguy
05-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Always a scam. And beware, even if your bank says the cheque is good, or it clears your account, it isn't. Some of these take weeks to come back.

If you deposit it, wait a month, and then get a letter from your bank saying that for sure it was good, and they release you of all obligation regarding that instrument.

This happened to a friend of mine - his father in law sold a commercial truck to a fellow who actually came to his door, gave him a CIBC draft for $80,000.00, and took off with the truck. His bank initially cleared the cheque, but then changed their mind about 2 weeks later.

He's in court over it, the bank is suing him for the $80,000.

Jlude
05-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy
Always a scam. And beware, even if your bank says the cheque is good, or it clears your account, it isn't. Some of these take weeks to come back.

If you deposit it, wait a month, and then get a letter from your bank saying that for sure it was good, and they release you of all obligation regarding that instrument.

This happened to a friend of mine - his father in law sold a commercial truck to a fellow who actually came to his door, gave him a CIBC draft for $80,000.00, and took off with the truck. His bank initially cleared the cheque, but then changed their mind about 2 weeks later.

He's in court over it, the bank is suing him for the $80,000.

That's just brutal. Screwed over when the cheque cleared but came back two weeks later.

ThisPersian
05-09-2008, 08:41 PM
something similiar happened to me also, i put a cabinet out for sale, this guy said he wanted it but he was in france paris..
the price of the cabinet or buffet or w/e it was, was 600 dollars i believe
but i recieved 2 $800 money order checks
obviously it was a scam
got it checked by bank, and they confirmed it was fake
all that, the guy called me, and he had a very bad accent i couldnt understand,
he wanted me to get it to some shipping company where i would put the $1600 in my bank, keep the 600, then take out the remaining and pay the shipping guy to send it to paris (smart huh?)

anyways i made up some bullshit story that my email fucked up and he needs to send the address again to the company, and i stalled,
once i got an email from him, i had planned to call his isp and report him or something

or get calgary fraud thing do something

anyways i ended doing nothing,
straight up told him to fuck off i didnt have time to bust his balls

ottamania
05-09-2008, 08:49 PM
than you scam them. Get them to pay u before you do anything. and dont send anything...:burnout: