PDA

View Full Version : Making Yam Fries?

copynpaste
05-04-2008, 05:11 PM
I absolutely love the ones at Cactus Club - cant stop eating them everytime I get them, especially with that garlic sauce :drool: And what impresses me is that they arent greasy at all.

I hear Yam fries are easy to make. But I find they're very easy to burn and extremely hard to brown them to perfection like C.C. does. Any tips? I was told Superstore sells them frozen in large packs and just throw it in the oven. But theres something about the ones at C.C....because they are very sweet. My guess is that they soak or preserve them in sugar. And from what I remember, they leave the skins on (which im sure helps retains moisture)

Would love to make them myself whenever I want. I could easily eat 3 or 4 servings of them at C.C....and at $7.50 a pop, it adds up.:(

JWL
05-06-2008, 09:23 AM
I haven't had the yam fries at the Cactus Club before, I know Costco sells them pre-cut and they have a pretty good recipe on the back of the package, especially if you like spicy foods.

bobby_lu
05-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Get yourself a deep fryer.

spyce
05-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Oh man...I had those yam fries the other night at Cactus Club too.
They are soooooo good :drool:

xLostx
05-06-2008, 09:59 AM
my roommate just cuts them up into fry shape and sprinkles something on them, I want to say cinnamon but I'm not sure, they taste alright :dunno:

ginger i believe it is

jdmakkord
05-06-2008, 10:12 AM
Ingredients:
Yam Fries

* 2 x sweet potatoes peeled and cut into baton shape (large 1/4 inch matchstick sized pieces)
* vegetable oil for deep fryer
* Optional seasoning
* 2 tsp curry powder OR
* 1 tsp cinnamon OR
* Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Yam Fries

1. Preheat deep fryer to 325º F.

2. Place yam fries in fryer and cook until al dente. Remove form oil and drain on a paper towel.

3. Increase heat on fryer to 375º F.

4. When temperature is reached add the fries. Cook until crispy and golden.

5. Remove from oil and sprinkle with desired seasoning.

picmerollin
05-06-2008, 10:14 AM
take a sweep potato, slice into "chips" 1/8-1/4" thick.

preheat oven to 400, make a single layer on oiled baking sheet, sprinkle salt pepper and a little bit of brown sugar on top.

bake them until golden, turn once.

enjoy, i have never had the CC ones but this is easy thing to make and since they are baked they are probably not as bad for you.

i put seasoning salt on them once and they were very good also.

also they are really good dipped in this- plain yogurt (or sour cream, i like yogurt better) and load it up with italian seasoning and a splash of franks red hot....fuggetabout