PDA

View Full Version : Info needed: newsgroups, giganews,usenext,etc.

tha_bandit
05-05-2008, 09:22 PM
....so i read a thread a while back about d/l full size dvd's, basically i'm looking into it also, maybe some games, etc.

so can anyone explain to me how i would go about doing this, what i need, how it works with shaw for example?

gpomp
05-05-2008, 10:52 PM
you need to subscribed to a newsgroup service such as giganews or powerusenet. giganews has the best retention at 200 days, powerusenet is 100 days. same company, different website. both are unlimited bandwith. ~$15-25/month for the service

you'll also need a program that can search the newsgroups to get what you need, the best one for this is newsleecher. $20/yr for this program. well worth it IMO for the supersearch feature.

then you might want to subscribe to a web based index site such as newzbin.

eblend
05-05-2008, 10:57 PM
If you don't need oldschool stuff, then get usenetserver.com

cheaper then giganewz, but shorted retention, just 90 days. I use Grabit, works perfect, easy and free unlike newsleecher

nzbmatrix.com is a good nzb (think torrent like files)

gpomp
05-06-2008, 12:12 AM
altbinz is another good free program. i actually use altbinz but i pay for newsleecher to get supersearch.

beecue
05-06-2008, 01:35 AM
Altbinz with Newshosting .. it's same price as UNS but doesn't have problems

ThisPersian
05-07-2008, 11:44 PM
thought i'd jump in cuz im bored

newsleecher is by far best prog to use, im sure if your using these services your interested in free stuff, obviously newsleecher can easily be found on it

news servers are out there by the lot, newshosting and giganews seem best, you usually want to go for retention,

however if you dont mind paying , then pay for newsleecher because supersearch is indeed useful...

binsearch.info is an awesome site where you set your retention and search away, its pretty much just as good as newzbin...

good luck

Kavy
05-07-2008, 11:50 PM
I have to go the other way Newsbin's new release owns all with the autopar and auto rar download features, i was a newsleecher user but have switched over because automation is where its at.

gpomp
05-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Kavy
I have to go the other way Newsbin's new release owns all with the autopar and auto rar download features, i was a newsleecher user but have switched over because automation is where its at. what do you mean? newsleecher has had this feature for a long time...

beecue
05-08-2008, 02:15 AM
so does atlbinz

eblend
05-08-2008, 06:56 AM
so does GrabIT

ExtraSlow
05-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Do these groups have much of an advantage over bittorrent?
I'm a noob at this, but so far it seems like isohunt or other torrrent search sites can find me pretty much anything I want.

Grogador
05-08-2008, 04:08 PM
nix server with hellanzb; drop the .nzb's into your queue directory and it will automatically leech, par, extract, join your downloads without tying up your desktop... iso's or whatever will be ready on the server for your enjoyment

eblend
05-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Do these groups have much of an advantage over bittorrent?
I'm a noob at this, but so far it seems like isohunt or other torrrent search sites can find me pretty much anything I want.

There is a few obvious ones
1. Its hella fast
2. You only download, no uploading required at all, so better for your internet connection as most providers care much more about uploading then downloading

D'z Nutz
05-10-2008, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by eblend

There is a few obvious ones
1. Its hella fast
2. You only download, no uploading required at all, so better for your internet connection as most providers care much more about uploading then downloading

That and you don't have to worry about people seeding. As long it's on the news servers, it's there for the taking.

Downside is someone actually has to upload something before you can get it, so looking for older or harder to find stuff will be more difficult unless you request it (and assuming someone will upload it).

If you wanna take over my easynews account, let me know. I've got 700+ GB accumulated on it because I don't use it anymore. I only keep it around in case I ever need anything. It's like $11 a month or something like that.

tha_bandit
05-10-2008, 01:05 PM
i know this is off topic.......but they this is my thread :D .....
anyways can someone explain what the difference between shaw hi speed and extreme is, i know the details from their website already, but does someone have any real experience with the two services?

Grogador
05-10-2008, 02:37 PM
hi-speed is 5mbits down, 0.5mbits up... xtreme is 10mbits down, 1mbit up with "powerboost" (upto 25mbit for the first few seconds of your download)

well... assuming you live in a non-saturated area and have a SB5100 modem with good signal, it's twice as fast :)

tha_bandit
05-10-2008, 02:53 PM
cool, called em up, switched to extreme in 2 mins, student plan YO!;)