PDA

View Full Version : Pasta

Kuba83
05-06-2008, 01:38 PM
So me and a couple of buddies have a weekly ritual of going out for cheap pasta every Monday. The first place we started going to was Fiore (17th & 5th) then we switched over to Chianti's (17th & 14th) and now we're getting tired of that place. does anybody know of any other pasta places that sell cheap pasta on Mondays?

Please do not say Boston Pizza Pasta Tuesday... I have my reasons.

JRSC00LUDE
05-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Kuba83
Please do not say Boston Pizza Pasta Tuesday... I have my reasons.

I'm a regional manager for BP's and am interested in hearing your reasons so we can work to avoid statements like this in the future. Please post them and discuss.

sdiep
05-06-2008, 04:08 PM
I just had $1.99 pasta at IKEA. :thumbsup:

avow
05-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by sdiep
I just had $1.99 pasta at IKEA. :thumbsup:
OM NOM NOM NOM
so good. :D

how about Chiani's? http://www.chianticafe.ca/ (nevermind, i actually read your post now lol)

or the Old Spaghetti Factory? http://www.oldspaghettifactory.ca/

ZorroAMG
05-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Boston Pizza Pasta Tuesdays.

:D

I freaking LOVE the lasagna.

ekguy
05-06-2008, 10:05 PM
East Side's??? :dunno: not that great but pasta none the less...Buon Giorno...a bit on the not so cheap side though but amazing pasta.

Rocky
05-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Pasta isn't meant to be cheap! The best pasta is made from scratch with the freshest and best of everything, which is why it's so costly... and so good, when you go to the right places :eek:

The only place I can think of off hand is Fiore's across from Western on 17th -- I don't even know if that place is still open anymore... That being said, BP's pasta can fill you up for sure.

Speedy
05-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Amici's has some damn good pasta...I am pretty sure they have specials every night. They are in the strip mall next to Sobeys on Country Hills Blvd.

Its a mom and pop kinda place with okay decor and not so great service but cheap prices and awesome food!

avow
05-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Speedy
Amici's has some damn good pasta...I am pretty sure they have specials every night. They are in the strip mall next to Sobeys on Country Hills Blvd.

Its a mom and pop kinda place with okay decor and not so great service but cheap prices and awesome food!
i am going to check that out for sure. thanks for the tip :D

icecreamvan
05-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Cheap pasta down Aisle 6. I'm sure that whatever there is much better than the crap you get at cheap pasta Mondays.

lelalong
05-07-2008, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Speedy

Oh gawd the tortellini with smoked salmon and cream sauce is soooo good!!! Wed is 2 for 1 pasta night...I think. Mon was 2 for 1 pizza. :thumbsup: :drool: :drool:

Thats what I miss from my ole hood....5 min walk to pasta heaven!!! :(

Bimmer88
05-07-2008, 12:18 AM
Old Spaghetti Factory +1

and Chianti's +1

Love both of these pasta places, best pasta I must say! and great service. I've never had my food done wrong at all.

and JRSC00LUDE your not Bruce Brown are ya?

ExtraSlow
05-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Vagabondo on edmonton trail and ~24 ave NE.
Very nice.

JRSC00LUDE
05-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Bimmer88
Love both of these pasta places, best pasta I must say! and great service. I've never had my food done wrong at all.

and JRSC00LUDE your not Bruce Brown are ya?

The only thing I am that you need to worry about right now is disappointed with your grammar.

ekguy
05-07-2008, 11:50 AM
Don't know how Chianti can possibly be in a thread about good pasta....Cheap maybe but far from good. I think even East Side's (where I work incidentally) and Boston Pizza are both crappy but better than Chianti's. Lot's of good places for decent pasta that isn't that expensive. Buon Giorno has a pick 3 pastas from the menu thing that is only about 30$. You get three huge helpings of any three pastas on the menu on a big platter.

LongCity
05-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Both Chianti and Old Spaghetti Factory aren't that great...
Dishes look so bland as is the taste.

ekguy
05-07-2008, 12:07 PM
yeah Spaghetti Factory leaves a lot to desire. But for the price I guess not bad. Menu was kind of small too. Like I said somewhat cheap but excellent pasta can be had. And expensive pasta can also be found in Calgary and is worth every dollar.

szw
05-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
Don't know how Chianti can possibly be in a thread about good pasta....

DId you read the post? This isn't about good pasta at all. This thread is exactly about cheap pasta.

Amysicle
05-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

I'm a regional manager for BP's and am interested in hearing your reasons so we can work to avoid statements like this in the future. Please post them and discuss.

Seriously? Because not to hijack the thread or anything, but the first (only, and last) time I had pasta at BP's on a Tuesday, it was more like noodles floating in watered down sauce. I didn't bother complaining to the waitress or management. Why? Because if the kitchen was willing to plate it as such, and the waitress was willing to serve it as such, both without thinking, "Wow, that's really disgusting. Who would even bother eating it?" What kind of replacement/attitude would I get if I were to complain and the staff thought it was good enough?

compton
05-08-2008, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Amysicle

Seriously? Because not to hijack the thread or anything, but the first (only, and last) time I had pasta at BP's on a Tuesday, it was more like noodles floating in watered down sauce. I didn't bother complaining to the waitress or management. Why? Because if the kitchen was willing to plate it as such, and the waitress was willing to serve it as such, both without thinking, "Wow, that's really disgusting. Who would even bother eating it?" What kind of replacement/attitude would I get if I were to complain and the staff thought it was good enough?

It is what it is: pasta for people who eat beef and potatoes the other 6 days a week. These people don't want to taste anything too garlicy or too spicy, and they'd be freaked out if you put fresh basil in a dish as they've never seen such a thing before in their life. There is obviously a big market for this sort of product, though, as BP is everywhere in Calgary.

01RedDX
05-08-2008, 08:28 AM

JRSC00LUDE
05-08-2008, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
So let's get back to talking about pasta as a fair dinkum tucker shall we mate?

To be fair, he's sort of on topic since he appears to have the equivalent of a wet noodle for a brain to think you could critique that simple sentence I wrote (but don’t believe me, use a spell-checker if you must). Add in the implication that Australians are the authority on proper English and, well, the results truly do speak for themselves.

Thanks for coming out ExOz but wouldn’t your time be better served chasing dingoes or something? ;)

89coupe
05-08-2008, 09:54 AM
Try

Divino Bistro and Wine Bar. They have a few pasta dishes that are mouth watering. Its a casual atmosphere and fairly priced.

http://www.crmr.com/divino/

ExOz
05-08-2008, 02:53 PM
Wow, the words tucker and dingoes have been used. How droll. BTW it was a study done by harvard that AUstralian, although accented, use the queens English better than any other nation, so it wasn't ME who made the implication. My family is English and they agree. But then again calling me a wet noodle brain was pure genius, Now, off to be, it must be past your curfew, or are you over 15 and just dealing with the fact your remaining brain cells argue?

But lets look at it this way, I get paid to be on here, you lot though, it seems, are nothing more than an ignorant bunch of school children who have no lives hence the constant posting from your homes. get a life, and then get an education.

ExOz
05-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Oh, and if Australians are so backwards, how is it that due to the trade skills etc we hold, Canada is screaming for us and the English to come and work there? Our local Canadian immigration officer called it the "dunce clause", similar to the American telecommunications companies that will also only hire ex-military Brit and Aussie workers. Because what you lot have, is too stupid. So we easily capitalise. So, on behalf of Australia, thanks for being both piss weak and ignorant.

QuasarCav
05-08-2008, 03:18 PM
What just happened here?

analbumcover
05-08-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
What just happened here?

Well, it didnt just happen, he always had a small dick.

He is just taking his frustrations out, humour him. I mean he was nice, enough, to, give, us, these, free, commas,

analbumcover
05-08-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by ExOz
Wow, the words tucker and dingoes have been used. How droll. BTW it was a study done by harvard that AUstralian, although accented, use the queens English better than any other nation, so it wasn't ME who made the implication. My family is English and they agree. But then again calling me a wet noodle brain was pure genius, Now, off to be, it must be past your curfew, or are you over 15 and just dealing with the fact your remaining brain cells argue?

But lets look at it this way, I get paid to be on here, you lot though, it seems, are nothing more than an ignorant bunch of school children who have no lives hence the constant posting from your homes. get a life, and then get an education.

You get paid to be on here?

Must, be, why, you, are, so, active, in, the, Binary, Thread, Horndog,

icecreamvan
05-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Those commas are nice

for me to poop on!

ercchry
05-08-2008, 03:46 PM
mmm... now i want to make pasta (from scratch)

Weapon_R
05-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
What just happened here?

Australian trying to claim superiority over the English language on the internet...nothing to see here.

01RedDX
05-08-2008, 04:14 PM

5hift
05-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by ExOz
Oh, and if Australians are so backwards, how is it that due to the trade skills etc we hold, Canada is screaming for us and the English to come and work there? Our local Canadian immigration officer called it the "dunce clause", similar to the American telecommunications companies that will also only hire ex-military Brit and Aussie workers. Because what you lot have, is too stupid. So we easily capitalise. So, on behalf of Australia, thanks for being both piss weak and ignorant.

Canada isnt chasing Aussie workers for your trade skills, its because we have positions to fill and we will take anyone, hence the same deal with workers from Mexico etc. English and the like come to work/stay there temporarly because you have nice beaches and loose girls.

dannie
05-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Have you ever tried La Brezza?? Their prices are pretty good. Not cheap like $5 but around $10-$15

dragonone
05-12-2008, 08:06 PM

well when i was at the 16th ave BP i wasn't seated for 15 minutes (almost empty restaurant) and couldn't order my food for 20 minutes

i imagine things like this can happen anywhere tho, but BP's just another chain like moxie's or east side mario. for the prices i'd rather pay a little more for better service. def. places to avoid in my book

Cooked Rice
05-13-2008, 11:47 PM

A bit off topic but, how long is that $9.99 Italian dish going on for? I love the chicken cannelloni they have right now.

eb0i
05-14-2008, 12:18 AM

My problem with BP's is their pricing nowadays, it just seems to expensive. Even pasta Tuesdays isn't that much of a deal anymore.

Stephen81
05-14-2008, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice

A bit off topic but, how long is that $9.99 Italian dish going on for? I love the chicken cannelloni they have right now.

I think he's joking about being a regional manager...unless he's a Field Services Manager...the Cannelloni on the Simply Italian promotion was offered for a limited time but you'll be happy to hear it will be a regular part of the 2008 menu rollout in a few weeks:thumbsup:

treg50
05-14-2008, 03:15 PM
:werd: on the crappy Boston Pizza.

G'damned Howie Mandel fooled me once and that was the first & LAST time I've been there. The pizza, it's even in their name, was terrible. Pizza Hut EDGE rules. I didn't try the pasta, I figured Boston Pizza might specialize in pizza. It was a brand new location so maybe the staff were inexperienced noobs, but who cares that's no excuse, where the crap was the quality control?!
:thumbsdow

ExtraSlow
05-15-2008, 10:31 AM
I'm going to stick up for Boston Pizza here. For a chain, I'd say it's more consistent than Moxies, chilis etc. sure, it's not gourmet, and yeah, I can make better at home, but that's not the point. if you are too lazy to cook, and you don't want any surprises, bostons is a good bet.

I've eaten at pretty much every boston pizza in calgary, and at least a dozen around the rest of alberta, and none of them are bad.

bulaian
05-15-2008, 10:39 AM
I dunno about that... I've never had issues with moxie's before but at BP's their service is pretty inconsistent.

Some BPs are, fast service, hot meals, etc. Others you'll have to wait 15-20 minutes before getting served, pastas are runny and/or cold.