PDA

View Full Version : Investment in China

Weapon_R
05-06-2008, 02:12 PM
A real estate opportunity is currently underway by a local team of developers that have purchased a piece of land in Shenzhen, China, and have plans to develop it into a residential apartment complex.

I am thinking about investing with the company, but I am looking to find out some information about foreign investments in China. Mainly, I am looking for those of you with experience who have successfully invested in mainland China to give your input on whether this is a relatively safe investment for foreigners. The presale price is substantially less than what the company expects to sell at once the project is underway

I have personal experience and a personal vested interest in the company, so I am not questioning their integrity or ability to deliver, nor I am not soliciting customers. The purpose of this thread is to find out whether investment in the city is safe for outsiders, and whether people here have already successfully invested in a foreign market safely. Any serious input is appreciated.

Xtrema
05-06-2008, 03:28 PM
It's a good opportunity but make sure you have some legal experts to back you up if conflict arise.

Antonito
05-06-2008, 04:32 PM
If you know and trust the people that will be doing the development, I don't see what the problems could be. The only thing I know about investement in mainland China is from my friend who does importing/exporting, which was to make sure you have someone there that will look out for your interests, which you seem to have

max_boost
05-06-2008, 04:45 PM
^^^

:werd:

Don't have a lot of experience in terms of a larger scale development but my mom purchased a condo in China recently. Unlike here where you buy a fully built unit, you basically buy a shell and have to hire the local contractors to develop the interior for you. My dad is also building a pig farm somewhere in the mainland. The most important thing is to have someone on the inside that is able to understand how things work and are able to monitor its progress. Seriously, there are a lot of shady motherfuckers over there. 1000X worse than here. Its in their culture to be conniving. But it looks like you have a strong team taking care of all that so it's all good.

Kind of OT but in China, you can sell anything for money. They steal and sell anything and everything from plastic bags, cardboard boxes, concrete, steel, electrical wires etc.

:eek: :nut:

whodiman
05-06-2008, 09:38 PM
China is an unbelievably crooked country. It's 100% about who you know. If you are a con-artist, then China is for you. There are virtually no regulations in any type of market there. My wife's uncle used to do ISO 9000 certifications. Basically to get certified you gave them money and they handed you a certificate. This is probably why EVERYTHING from there is getting recalled for things like lead paint and stuff that are supposed to be checked.

Like everyone else above has mentioned, if you invest in property there make sure you do your due dilligence and have good legal backup. Often the best legal system is "briberey"..and being able to do it with more $$$ then your competition or the guy sueing you.

SilverRex
05-07-2008, 09:44 AM
wont it be better and easier just to invest in china's stock market. Like the shanghai composit index which has fallen 50% and is a good time to pick it up for long term?

Of

you can buy the morgan stanley China stock (CAF)

I see China to be growing alot in the next 5-10 years. you would more than double if not triple your return this way.

:D