PDA

View Full Version : Post holes for deck/fence

sml
05-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Anyone know of anyone who has a bobcat that can drill a couple holes for deck/fence posts for a reasonable price?

rc2002
05-06-2008, 05:35 PM
If you only want a couple of holes dug, you can rent a manual auger for like $20.

If you have more holes you can rent a power auger for not much more. It might be hard to find someone to drill only a couple holes for you.

sml
05-06-2008, 05:36 PM
I've got about 20 holes. I tried renting a 2 man auger but it's doesn't work very well when it's too rocky. I need a bobcat.

Jason Lange
05-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Fenceco will do it. 461-9604 guys name is Evan.

redline_13000
05-06-2008, 09:44 PM
I have a bobcat with an auger and will do it for you, Hand held gas augers wont do it properly. Pm me with some details and I can give you a price!:thumbsup:

dropdat
05-07-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by redline_13000
... Hand held gas augers wont do it properly...

How do you figure?

Jason Lange
05-07-2008, 04:11 PM
I have a bobcat with an auger and will do it for you, Hand held gas augers wont do it properly. Pm me with some details and I can give you a price!:thumbsup:

Why won't they work properly? That is what they are meant to do. What happens if you can't get a bobcat into and area...gotta dig by hand? They work just fine.

redline_13000
05-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Well try the handheld ones doing 20 or more holes, then come back and reply to this thread if you didnt break/twist something on your body:thumbsup:

redline_13000
05-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by sml
I've got about 20 holes. I tried renting a 2 man auger but it's doesn't work very well when it's too rocky. I need a bobcat.

He already tried, and now hes looking for a bobcat to do it, obviously the handheld didnt work too well, I would rather be safe and hire a bobcat to do it, then do it myself. Those handheld ones are VERY dangerous, anyone that has one will tell you that.

DeeK
05-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Well try the handheld ones doing 20 or more holes, then come back and reply to this thread if you didnt break/twist something on your body:thumbsup:

Why's that a big deal?

I used to manually dig post holes, 3 feet deep, with a manual auger. Not just one or two holes, but entire fences. Was helping a friend start a business and he didn't have the capital to get a bobcat and whatnot, so we did it all manually. Works just fine to me. Mind you, now he has a bobcat and its way better.

kenny
05-07-2008, 04:40 PM
I would rather be safe and hire a bobcat to do it, then do it myself. Those handheld ones are VERY dangerous, anyone that has one will tell you that.

Says the guy with the Bobcat.

xkon
05-07-2008, 06:37 PM
I have to agree though.. I rented a handheld last summer and ended up digging them all by hand anyhow... they're not that powerful. Ugh I feel sore just thinking about it...

redline_13000
05-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by kenny

Says the guy with the Bobcat.

I wouldnt have spent $3000+ for a bobcat auger if I could have paid <$1000 for a handheld and made the same money. I do probably 5 homes a week, and 4 out of 5 say they have tried with the handheld and gave up, or twisted their arms etc.

kenny
05-07-2008, 11:39 PM
I don't argue that sometimes there could be really hard clay or large rocks that get in the way (trust me, I know lol) but its not "VERY Dangerous" like you say. I'm merely poking fun at you for saying "I would rather be safe and hire a bobcat to do it" when you have a bobcat and offer those services.

:D

redline_13000
05-07-2008, 11:44 PM
I don't argue that sometimes there could be really hard clay or large rocks that get in the way (trust me, I know lol) but its not &quot;VERY Dangerous&quot; like you say. I'm merely poking fun at you for saying &quot;I would rather be safe and hire a bobcat to do it&quot; when you have a bobcat and offer those services.

Ya, but if I didnt have one I would hire someone to do it, no way I would touch one of those again. I did try doing a few holes with it once and it wasnt fun, better hope there isnt anything close by that the machine can throw you into (deck, house etc) and we had to use a drill with a masonry bit first and drill about 20 small holes in each post hole area to loosen it up.

Mitsu3000gt
05-08-2008, 09:00 AM
RONA rentals (seems I'm replying to a lot of rental threads lately LOL) has large, gas, post hole augers that are for use by 1 person. They are quite substantial, and not nearly as dangerous as the ones where one guy stands on each side of it holding it. I think their like $75/day to rent, probably WAY cheaper than a bobcat and it will get the job done very quickly. 20 holes would be no problem at all.

It looks like this: http://www.trupower.com/Ground_hog/1-man-auger.htm

They work super well.

Supa Dexta
05-08-2008, 09:02 AM
I don't argue that sometimes there could be really hard clay or large rocks that get in the way (trust me, I know lol) but its not &quot;VERY Dangerous&quot; like you say. I'm merely poking fun at you for saying &quot;I would rather be safe and hire a bobcat to do it&quot; when you have a bobcat and offer those services.

Aren't you a bigger guy? young, works out? Not sure if I'm thinking of the right guy.. but anyways, can you imagine some 50 yr old guy that hasn't walked to the curb in the last 20 yrs, let alone do something like auger a hole. He gets the big idea hes gonna cheap out and dig some holes, I don't see it turning out too well..

kenny
05-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

Aren't you a bigger guy? young, works out? Not sure if I'm thinking of the right guy.. but anyways, can you imagine some 50 yr old guy that hasn't walked to the curb in the last 20 yrs, let alone do something like auger a hole. He gets the big idea hes gonna cheap out and dig some holes, I don't see it turning out too well..

Wrong Kenny :rofl:

Ben
05-08-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

Aren't you a bigger guy? young, works out? Not sure if I'm thinking of the right guy..

Wrong Kenny :rofl:

LOL, Here's Kennys recent profile photo:

Looks CAN be deceiving! There's a lotta might in that little scrawny frame.

Holy Pole Plow Batman!

Supa Dexta
05-08-2008, 11:28 AM
:rofl:

Ok I now picture the auger bit staying still, and you being thrown around and around holding the handle,

dropdat
05-08-2008, 04:48 PM

I wouldnt have spent $3000+ for a bobcat auger if I could have paid &lt;$1000 for a handheld and made the same money. I do probably 5 homes a week, and 4 out of 5 say they have tried with the handheld and gave up, or twisted their arms etc.

We have a bobcat, a 2 man auger and a hydraulic auger. 9 out of 10 times the hydraulic works just as well as a bobcat, and is nearly impossible to hurt yourself with (unless you're a moron). Also, I have a gas powered 2 man and it definately does not cost $1000, more like $5800 and it almost always works, usually they even pull up huge rocks (maybe you've just used shitty augers and thats your problem). The only time the bobcat is used to pop holes is when we hit sandstone, do 6foot holes or 40+ holes in one area. So, I think the bobcat guys opinion is a little biased because he only uses one outlet to do holes, and onbviously is very misinformed when it comes to the alternatives.

dropdat
05-08-2008, 04:51 PM
And when it comes to you talking about people not being able to pop holes with an auger and getting hurt, I'd be willing to bet it's because they don't know how to use it properly. I bet if joe blow got into a bobcat he wouldn't have much luck with popping a hole either. It's all about knowing what you're doing

redline_13000
05-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Ya, I dont know why I do so many houses per week with the bobcat, when the homeowners could just rent the 2 man auger and do it for $55

kenny
05-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Ya, I dont know why I do so many houses per week with the bobcat, when the homeowners could just rent the 2 man auger and do it for $55

Same reason people pay a kid to shovel their driveway for $40 when they could do it themselves for free in 3 minutes.

redline_13000
05-08-2008, 09:54 PM

Same reason people pay a kid to shovel their driveway for $40 when they could do it themselves for free in 3 minutes.

The guys with handheld augers are much cheaper to hire than I am, but they still call me;)