PDA

View Full Version : Wifi at the Calgary Airport

bigbadboss101
05-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Wifi is not free at the YYC airport? I believe we have to go thru the Telus hotspot. Someone told me Vancouver airport wifi is free but I couldn't get on using the Ipod Touch either.

roopi
05-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Vancouver airport is free but not through Telus there. I never had any issues connecting there with my iPhone or notebook.

Xaroxantu Zero
05-06-2008, 07:26 PM
I got free wi-fi at the boarding gate for both Calgary and Vancouver.

Hakkola
05-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Free wifi at airports is awesome, I remember using my laptop at Calgary airport but not sure if I used wifi, I thought it was free at most airports, it was free in vegas, but not in San Fransisco. :thumbsdow

bigbadboss101
05-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Hmm I will have to try again. When I turned on the Touch it got me to the telus website.

roopi
05-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Hmm I will have to try again. When I turned on the Touch it got me to the telus website.

Did you try searching for any other networks? You probably just defaulted to Telus.

Sykes
05-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Wifi is free at the Calgary airport - I just flew from there a few days ago.

Ashers
05-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Wifi at the Calgary airport is not free. It runs through a Telus portal. However, if you are near the Delta you can grab their network for free. Jugo Juice also have a network. The rest of them belong to companies and are locked (IE, WJVocera).

rmk
05-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Last time I was there it was Telus :thumbsdow See if you can hook into Jugo or the hotel.

Team_Mclaren
05-07-2008, 01:32 AM
WIFI in calgary airport is definitily not free. On the other hand, Van is, Denver is and so is Seattle.

dragonone
05-07-2008, 12:43 PM
when i tried it on monday it wasn't free, links me to telus portal

mrbojangles
05-07-2008, 05:54 PM
It was free at the boarding gate (domestic) seating area a few weeks ago when I was using it.

Just read the other threads. I must have been grabbing a signal from the above mentioned areas.

thextinct
05-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Calgary .. tries to score (here, in terms money ;)) with every move!
:bigpimp:

98type_r
05-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by thextinct
Calgary .. tries to score (here, in terms money ;)) with every move!
:bigpimp:

Toronto is worse, at least we get free luggage carts here.

thextinct
05-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by 98type_r

Toronto is worse, at least we get free luggage carts here.

no wonder they have two taxes going..:nut:

EmJay
05-14-2008, 06:58 AM
I was at the international wing yesterday and it wasn't free either. It links you to the telus portal and you have to login, from what it seamed is if you were a telus internet subscriber you could just put in your login info and you could use the service. But for non telus subscribers you had to pay whatever their fees are.

nissanK
05-14-2008, 07:14 AM
I work at the airport IT dept. We've set it up so that outside users have to phone telus and start a hotspot account. Once you're setup, you will be billed on your credit card. We've blocked all rogue wireless access for security reasons.

I'm not sure if it's a one time deal or if you have to create a new one each time you want ti use wifi in the airport.

turbo4dr
05-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by nissanK
I work at the airport IT dept. We've set it up so that outside users have to phone telus and start a hotspot account. Once you're setup, you will be billed on your credit card. We've blocked all rogue wireless access for security reasons.

I'm not sure if it's a one time deal or if you have to create a new one each time you want ti use wifi in the airport.

MAn soon we are gonna have to pay for a seat at the airport at this rate..........:bullshit: I think the airport should give free Internet

thextinct
05-14-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by turbo4dr

MAn soon we are gonna have to pay for a seat at the airport at this rate..........:bullshit: I think the airport should give free Internet

+1
Our Airport! :guns:

RX_EVOLV
05-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Van is free?? last time I tried (Feb) it wasnt free..some Roger hotspot or something.. $12.99/ day or something like that?

accord885
05-14-2008, 10:45 AM
If ya sit by the windows in Chilli's you can get a unsecure connection from someones office router. Workess great every time for me!

JordanEG6
05-14-2008, 10:53 AM
I used Wi-Fi a few times at YYC and I had to pay on all occassions. And yes, it goes through a Telus network. I had to pay via Credit Card.

UndrgroundRider
05-14-2008, 11:13 AM
The Air Canada lounge has free wifi.

Most airports in the world charge for internet. It's pretty much the standard now. Half of the reason is the commercial interest. Companies like T-Mobile offer internet packages that work world-wide at T-Mobile hotspots. Obviously T-Mobile must pay to place their antennas/gear at the airport, so they must charge for the internet.

I can attest first hand all within the last year that Honolulu, Tokyo (Narita), Frankfurt, Fiumicino (Rome), and O'Hare charge for internet.

Lagerstatten.ca
05-14-2008, 02:59 PM
Yup it's the Telus HotSpot service at the YYC. My company has a bunch of aircards with Telus and they include the HotSpot service for free nationwide.