PDA

View Full Version : Best Donairs??? Let's have em.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

ekguy
05-07-2008, 11:55 AM
I'll start with a couple places I find are decent donair wise. A place in Shawnessy named The Donair Place is really decent. But surprisingly the best donair I've had out here was from a small joint in Bragg Creek. In the strip mall or whatever there behind the gas station there is a small restaurant. Great donair and a mean Tetrazini as well. check em out. Any other good donair places in Calgary.

b_t
05-07-2008, 11:55 AM
The one here in Cochrane is fucking awesome.

Tik-Tok
05-07-2008, 11:58 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/156229/best-donairs/

ekguy
05-07-2008, 12:08 PM
ahh sorry haha. but the op on that one is banned hehe we can start a newer one haha.

bobby_lu
05-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Medina Barber Shop & Donair

dino_martini
05-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Jimmys A&A

Quadrifoglio
05-07-2008, 01:28 PM
You gotta head all the way north till you hit Grande Prairie.
Then go to Buster's Donair and Pizza.
Nothing compares. I've seriously had friends bring me Donairs from Buster's when they come and visit me. It makes it really hard to actually want to go to get any other Donair.

Kloubek
05-07-2008, 01:29 PM
I enjoy Uncle Mo's. He has at least two locations - one at the top of Edmonton trail on the East side, and one in the shopping plaza on the corner of 16th and 52nd.

Better yet - his donairs are super cheap on Wednesdays!

ekguy
05-07-2008, 03:54 PM
gonna have to try that wednesday thing Kloubek hehe thanks man.

$lick_rYz
05-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Hungry Sultan is a good donair place in the NE, especially now with the new owners

badseed
05-07-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by b_t

:werd: I have eaten alor of donairs at alot of diff places and "Donair on the run" is by far the best.

Donair meet tastes the same at most places, this one has a little kick, the sweet sauce is thick and flavorful, pitas are always fresh and its grilled before serverd giving it an edge over most donair shops. IMO.

Must check this place out.

obliterate8
05-07-2008, 04:36 PM
Castle Pizza has hands down the best in the city.
They are just off elbow drive and 75th SW in the strip mall..
so delicious!

jdmSiR
05-07-2008, 04:37 PM
Jimmys A&A is excellent, aswell as Shwarma King in Kensington

gokuu
05-07-2008, 04:52 PM
jimmys is the BEST :thumbsup: @ A&A. They are HUGE!

ekguy
05-07-2008, 04:58 PM
I remember back home in NB this place in front of our highschool had a large donair so big the pita couldn't even go around the pile of donair meat. He'd give you your money back if you could eat it all in the restaurant haha. But my dad used to go get a medium and some extra pita's and we'd have enough for like 5 or 6 decently sized donairs haha. He got a large once and it fed me, my mom and him for 2 donairs each for 3 days haha. It was ridiculous but then again donairs are really popular back east.

hadookin
05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Desert Bakery on 52nd.

vengie
05-07-2008, 05:04 PM
pita stop

corner of elbow and anderson!

drtoohotty1
05-07-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by b_t

B_T has it right go to the hole in the wall between the drug store and SAAN (seriously it used to be an alley i have no idea how they got permits for it) FTW!

cityhunter2501
05-07-2008, 08:04 PM
i love the chicken shawarma across from sait, gonna miss them for sure since I'm done with sait

THE GOVERNATOR
05-07-2008, 08:10 PM
brothers pizza an donair 17th ave sw

practically across the street from rx7 specialties/auto value

takemtochurch
05-07-2008, 08:12 PM
jimmy a&a is the best they are massive and soooo good

Fusion
05-07-2008, 08:13 PM
Nothing can beat Babylon

28th and Memorial Drive

Jfro962
05-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Al's Pizza!!!

szw
05-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Here are the only ones I can remember:

Mo's Donair - really really horrible, second worst donair I've had. Worst donair goes to some pita place in Chinook Mall Food court. I knew better but thought I'd try it anyways.

Cedars Deli (edmonton tr) - Pretty good, meat wasn't great but lots of fresh veggies made up for it.

King Tut's on 12Ave SW and 12St SW (or close to it) - My favourite, good tasting meat, sauce, and veggies. Plus they give you one of those little sticky sweet pastry things (baklava?). They had a lot of good soundign things on the menu but I always end up getting the regular beef donair because its so good.

Al's Pizza - Had it once, it was okay only. Can't remember what was wrong with it...but there was something since I never went back.

van
05-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Anywhere in the NE for a good donair?lol

Ben
05-08-2008, 10:00 AM
There's No Donair Places in Banff or Canmore (Same with Pho, I'm going through withdrawal something fierce), so when I do make it into Calgary, I make sure to go out of my way and stop in at Desert Pita (17th Ave SE and 52nd St) Shaesh Tawouk FTMFW!!!

I want one so bad right now.

98type_r
05-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by szw

King Tut's on 12Ave SW and 12St SW (or close to it) - My favourite, good tasting meat, sauce, and veggies. Plus they give you one of those little sticky sweet pastry things (baklava?). They had a lot of good soundign things on the menu but I always end up getting the regular beef donair because its so good.

great donairs there :thumbsup:

jdmakkord
05-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Ben
There's No Donair Places in Banff or Canmore (Same with Pho, I'm going through withdrawal something fierce), so when I do make it into Calgary, I make sure to go out of my way and stop in at Desert Pita (17th Ave SE and 52nd St) Shaesh Tawouk FTMFW!!!

I want one so bad right now.

Give me a call next time you're in town, I haven't gone for one in months either.

Swank
05-08-2008, 11:12 AM
If you're stuck in the core and need a donair I recommend Pita Express on 8th by City Hall, I love the donairs there.

calgarygts
05-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Swank
If you're stuck in the core and need a donair I recommend Pita Express on 8th by City Hall, I love the donairs there.

meh, not that great there imo. Go a for a little walk west on 7th ave and look for Amin's donair. Really good donairs, bit of a dump though.

G-ZUS
05-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by hadookin
Desert Bakery on 52nd.

:Werd:

I also like My Donair in Castleridge

badseed
05-08-2008, 04:43 PM
^^ yeah My Donair on Mcleaod is ok too.

dino_martini
05-08-2008, 04:43 PM
There is a Jimmys A&A downtown

Jimmy’s A&A downtown
213 6th Avenue SE
Calgary , Alberta Canada T2G 0G4
Tel : (403) 261 2090

Store Hours
Monday-Friday 10 am – 3 pm

Weapon_R
05-08-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm a fan of Uncle Moe's. The chicken Donair with garlic is awesome.

Honorable mention for Desert Pita on 52nd avenue.

ottamania
05-08-2008, 04:52 PM
damn i missed eating doner. I am hungry

dj_rice
05-08-2008, 06:49 PM
I've only tried donairs at Eat-A-Pita on 17th Ave SE

Just bought a super size one for $8.00 and I'm fucking stuffed, it was the size of a football

Ajay
05-10-2008, 12:10 PM
I like Cedars Deli donairs. Pretty good tasting and for they wrap is so well nothing falls out. At least all the times I've had one from there that's been the case.

CRXguy
05-10-2008, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by defekt1
Anywhere in the NE for a good donair?lol

There's one near the 'hood. Desert Pita, a few doors down from Totem on 52nd st and 17th ave. Just had one yesterday, first time in a while. Sooooo goood!!!! :thumbsup:

BenC
05-10-2008, 01:05 PM
jimmys ftmfw!!!!!!!!!!1

cycosis
05-11-2008, 02:34 PM
My donair on macleod.

DeeK
05-17-2008, 04:55 PM
Donair Grill in Bridlewood is pretty damn good. Was by far the best donair in the city before they sold the place. Under the new management its not as good, but still delicious.

Sorath
05-17-2008, 06:43 PM
i like eat a pita on 17th ave.
castle pizza by wisewood

and the last one i dont know the name but its on 52nd st just off of 17th ave se

cdulm
05-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Jimmy's A&A for sure!!

WiltonKillz
05-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Jimmys ! BUT Back in the day when he worked there ,
I remember goin in and tupacs blairing and hes stting there rapping haah
now its just too mainstream I remember ALWAYS going there as a regular, too many ppl too too mainstream now but still the best donairs, there and cedars deli also know the owner there haah

frozenrice
05-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by bobby_lu
Medina Barber Shop & Donair
You're kidding right?!?

Originally posted by THE GOVERNATOR
brothers pizza an donair 17th ave sw

practically across the street from rx7 specialties/auto value

+1
It's not the same since the Asians bought it, but they're still damn good.

rumeo
11-29-2008, 06:22 PM
amin donair on 7 ave (transit ave) and 1st st
best donairs ever! huge too!

+1 for uncle moes....im always there

hows the donairs at senoirs?

Speedy
11-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Fusion
Nothing can beat Babylon

28th and Memorial Drive

This place is hands down the best. When I worked across the street in the Intergraph building we would have Babylon twice a week at least. Man I miss that place.

Wehbeast
11-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by cityhunter2501
i love the chicken shawarma across from sait, gonna miss them for sure since I'm done with sait

Ate there once and never again. Had a bone or soemthing come up in my chicken donair

nonlinear
11-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by WiltonKillz
Jimmys ! BUT Back in the day when he worked there ,
I remember goin in and tupacs blairing and hes stting there rapping haah
now its just too mainstream I remember ALWAYS going there as a regular, too many ppl too too mainstream now but still the best donairs, there and cedars deli also know the owner there haah

wow

i used to hate going in there when jimmy was working.... bunch of idiot guys behind the counter, throwing food and yelling eachother and the customers. those dudes wouldn't pay attention to anything, and would seriously fuck up my order every time. comined with the downsizing in food portions and outrageous price hikes he implemented around 2002-2003, i seriously stopped going there for a few years. went in more recently, however, and seems his mom is working there again... she keeps those punk ass motherfuckers in line :whipped:

CRXguy
11-29-2008, 06:47 PM
Got a recipe off of here, so I tried making it at home the last couple times. Pretty good if I say so myself. :D

Tik-Tok
11-29-2008, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

wow

i used to hate going in there when jimmy was working.... bunch of idiot guys behind the counter, throwing food and yelling eachother and the customers.

No man, he means even before that, when it was still a grocery store, when it was Jimmy, his mom (I think), and some girl (sister maybe?). It was awesome back then.

RY213
11-29-2008, 07:24 PM
I dont know the name of it, but the Donair place on 17th Ave SW around 10-11 Street is pretty good. I remember thier donairs were pretty big for the $$$

Weapon_R
11-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy
Got a recipe off of here, so I tried making it at home the last couple times. Pretty good if I say so myself. :D

I made some sick donairs last week using this recipe. Added a little bit of chili peppers to it and it was delicious.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Dashs-Donair/Detail.aspx

avishal26
11-29-2008, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by rumeo
amin donair on 7 ave (transit ave) and 1st st
best donairs ever! huge too!

+1 for uncle moes....im always there

hows the donairs at senoirs?

Is this Amin Donair that everybody is talking about the same as Mazaj? Cause their shawarma's are good. little on the skimpy side in terms of meat but they taste good.

Uncle Moe's is really good too... been there once in the TC mall

nonlinear
11-29-2008, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

No man, he means even before that, when it was still a grocery store, when it was Jimmy, his mom (I think), and some girl (sister maybe?). It was awesome back then.

oh, I didn't start going until 2001 so I guess I missed it

his mom is a cool cat though, she really makes you feel at home

lelalong
11-29-2008, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
i like eat a pita on 17th ave.
castle pizza by wisewood

and the last one i dont know the name but its on 52nd st just off of 17th ave se

Desert Deli. Great desserts too! I got a free macaroon but I'm not sure if it was cause I tipped him or cause I'm a girl....

D'z Nutz
11-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Dakota's Deli, bar none for me. Make sure you get it with hot sauce. Sam crams the take out box with potato chips and when the sauce seeps out the donair, the chips soak it up and get all soggy. Delicious.

szw
11-30-2008, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

I made some sick donairs last week using this recipe. Added a little bit of chili peppers to it and it was delicious.

Trying this out next week!

rumeo
11-30-2008, 12:00 PM
no i dont think so its a small ghetto place that mainly sells cigs but sells some brown food on the side

Originally posted by avishal26

Is this Amin Donair that everybody is talking about the same as Mazaj? Cause their shawarma's are good. little on the skimpy side in terms of meat but they taste good.

Uncle Moe's is really good too... been there once in the TC mall

RedGallardo
11-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Shwarma Knights on 14th st and 16th ave SW.

trieuth
11-30-2008, 01:31 PM
jimmys ftw.

eur0
11-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by vengie
pita stop

Agreed, I would have to say its better than Jimmys too...

DJ_NAV
11-30-2008, 05:18 PM
What do you recommend for DT?? I love Pita basket(theres one in NE too) and also Chick Pea by husky... there is always a line up outside the door at chick pea at noon.

cjay^
11-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by vengie
pita stop

yeah pita stop is awesome . better than the one in shawnessey for sure plus the people are super nice, they call me by name and remember my toppings so all i need to tell them is what size.:thumbsup:

Eleanor
12-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Another vote for A&A here :thumbsup:

Zero102
12-02-2008, 01:54 AM

LOL, that came up in my ginger beef thread and some guy bitched about using ground beef because I recommended it.

I use this recipe all the time. Its really good and when you make food at home at least you know whats in it. I always make little changes to it, lately I have been upping the cayenne pepper and dropping out the onion powder. I like it better this way.

Weapon_R
12-02-2008, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Zero102

LOL, that came up in my ginger beef thread and some guy bitched about using ground beef because I recommended it.

Bitched? All donair meat is made with ground beef :nut:

nonlinear
12-02-2008, 12:11 PM

Zero102
12-03-2008, 09:55 AM

Bitched? All donair meat is made with ground beef :nut:

No kidding! I had a little laugh at that one, then stopped for a second and wondered just what I had been eating.

I'm not big on lamb, but if that is your thing dude go for it :)
All donair meat up here is in a big round chunk on a spit. I can't imagine there is a solid piece of meat in it anywhere. And, although I am no expert on the subject, donair is different from the other foods you listed.

Weapon_R
12-03-2008, 09:59 AM
All donair meat on earth is ground beef rolled on a spit and cooked. Maybe you are thinking of gyros, which are completely different and made of ground lamb.

szw
12-03-2008, 10:12 AM
All donair meat on earth is ground beef rolled on a spit and cooked. Maybe you are thinking of gyros, which are completely different and made of ground lamb.

Oh, so that big chunk of meat spinning on the spit isn't the carcass of a wild donair animal?

snipa_mini85
12-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Tazza over in Bridgeland has some great donairs along with other food! I forget what the street numbers are though :dunno:

shynepho
12-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I enjoy Uncle Mo's. He has at least two locations - one at the top of Edmonton trail on the East side, and one in the shopping plaza on the corner of 16th and 52nd.

Better yet - his donairs are super cheap on Wednesdays!

Just a heads up guys

Uncle Mo's donairs are really good, I used to eat them alot until one day I was out of cash and decided to use my debit card there. A few hours later I got a call from my bank (BMO), that my card has been compromised and to come into the branch to get a replacement card.

They wouldn't tell me which place "compromised" my card but I rarely use my debit card, matter of fact the week that this happened, I only used it at Mo's Donair.

Its a shame because I really like the donairs there.

nonlinear
12-03-2008, 11:56 AM

nonlinear
12-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by shynepho

Just a heads up guys

Uncle Mo's donairs are really good, I used to eat them alot until one day I was out of cash and decided to use my debit card there. A few hours later I got a call from my bank (BMO), that my card has been compromised and to come into the branch to get a replacement card.

They wouldn't tell me which place "compromised" my card but I rarely use my debit card, matter of fact the week that this happened, I only used it at Mo's Donair.

Its a shame because I really like the donairs there.

I would think it would take more than a few hours for the guys to download the data, make up a fake card, and use it long enough to get noticed by your bank.

nonlinear
12-03-2008, 12:06 PM

shynepho
12-03-2008, 01:42 PM

I would think it would take more than a few hours for the guys to download the data, make up a fake card, and use it long enough to get noticed by your bank.

BMO figured out what happened before the 'fake' card could be used. They canceled my card and notified me right when my card was copied/compromised.

Again this was the only place I used my card at that whole week and before Mo's Donair, I used it at my BMO branch when the teller requests you to swipe your card and enter the pin. I'm pretty sure this couldnt of happened at BMO.

xxxazntigerxx
12-04-2008, 01:26 AM
jimmys

msommers
12-04-2008, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by snipa_mini85
Tazza over in Bridgeland has some great donairs along with other food! I forget what the street numbers are though :dunno:

My God I love Tazza! It's on...1st ave and maybe 9/10th ave NE. Where the old Milky Way used to be!

Chicken Shistawook with extra hot sauce = :drool: :drool: I'm hungry!

They also have these chicken/beef things, I can never remember. They look like giant pizza pops but have meat and veggies inside. SO DELICIOUS!

szw
12-04-2008, 08:10 AM
More debate on donair meat plz. Can't find any good donairs in Toronto that are the same style as the ones in Calgary. Lots of schwarmas and gyros, but not the same without that sweet sauce and mystery meat.

rizfarmer
12-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Dessert Bakery on 52nd and 17th ave se. I would say is the best, although since they've been getting busy and hiring new people, quality has been going down

broken_legs
12-05-2008, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by rizfarmer
Dessert Bakery on 52nd and 17th ave se. I would say is the best, although since they've been getting busy and hiring new people, quality has been going down

It's OK. It's No Jimmys.

Originally posted by Eleanor
Another vote for A&A here :thumbsup:

Me too.

Supa Dexta
12-05-2008, 07:11 AM
Anyone else like me? I prefer to eat my donairs alone.. They can get pretty messy, so I don't want someone seeing me in that condition. :rofl: No way would I eat one out in public.. I need a shower immediately after... Thats the true way to eat a proper donair.

frozenrice
12-05-2008, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Anyone else like me? I prefer to eat my donairs alone.. They can get pretty messy, so I don't want someone seeing me in that condition. :rofl: No way would I eat one out in public.. I need a shower immediately after... Thats the true way to eat a proper donair.

LOL. Sig material right there....

szw
12-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

You always get stares when people see you eating a donair messily but I think its more of a "damn that looks good" rather than a "damn you're disgusting" look. Unless its that streak of sweet sauce that is rolling down your chin into your shirt collar.

Supa Dexta
12-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Ooooh they definitely want in on one... But the whole bukkake look is something I try and avoid. Donairs and garlic fingers are a highlight of getting back to NS each trip. I mow right into donairs, I end up in such mess, out of breath and confused as to what I just did. :rofl:

bubbley
12-05-2008, 09:22 AM
UNCLE MOES DONAIR
Trans canada mall and on i believe edm trail? by the quality inn on mcknight...by far the best!

bubbley
12-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Can anybody recommend some good donairs for the NW?

almerick
12-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Try A&A's, Jimmy is a really nice guy

nonlinear
12-05-2008, 01:43 PM
ok well i just went in to A & A for a schwarama, and took a look at their donair meat, and lo and behold it was ground lips and asses pressed around a spit!

so now the real question is, what is the difference between the ground/pressed meat, and stacked meat? does it vary by cuisine, or maybe the source (maybe the ground ones are made in a factory, while stacked is made on site??))

also, when i was in there, the mom was telling some other customer that they get their meat from red deer meats. that is a good meat company

canadian_hustla
12-06-2008, 12:02 AM
i prefer to eat my donairs with a fork and knife. i am not a fan of the mess

+1 for Jimmys. Whenever i go in there they are always looking like they are having fun and enjoying their job
only downside is that it is $12-$13 for a large chicken donair!!!

Swank
12-06-2008, 12:33 AM

Just made these today only out of ground turkey instead. Unreal, oh so good and damn easy to make. Try it!

Weapon_R
12-06-2008, 12:45 AM
ok well i just went in to A & A for a schwarama, and took a look at their donair meat, and lo and behold it was ground lips and asses pressed around a spit!

so now the real question is, what is the difference between the ground/pressed meat, and stacked meat?

Stacked meat is NOT donair, period.

93RB240
02-09-2009, 12:40 AM
The one in cochrane for sure

bubbley
02-09-2009, 10:28 AM
Went to A&A and uncle moes meat is much better....uncle moes all the way!!

CRXguy
02-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by 93RB240
The one in cochrane for sure

Is it near the ice cream shop?

einstein135
02-09-2009, 09:27 PM
Calgary Shawarma on Edmonton Tr and about 10 AV NE is great, has the best donair.

Cedars Deli on Edmonton Tr and about 30 Av NE is great, good donairs, and they put tons of beef on.

Dessert on 52 St and 17 Av SE, opposite Sobeys and Zellers, best Chicken Shawarma plate ever, ask for it on traditional bread.

i'll put a shout out for Tazza in bridgeland too.

I cant handle A&A, too much lettuce and too messy.

nonlinear
02-09-2009, 09:32 PM
i've heard tazza is awesome as well, but haven't made it over there yet.

black13
02-11-2009, 12:54 PM
eh I didn't like A&A's. The chicken tasted weird and they don't cut it from the spit when I order and instead take it from those storage units. The only thing good was that their large was actually pretty big size compared to other places.

Shwarma king on Kensington is probably still my favorite but even they are hit and miss sometimes.

And what's up with the tomatoes? Seems these days no matter where you go, all the food chains have pale/greenish tomatoes. It has made me stop ordering tomatoes on subs/donairs.

Neil4Speed
02-11-2009, 01:01 PM
I got a medium from Jimmy's the other day, it was devastating.