PDA

View Full Version : bought a my first Civic

03ozwhip
05-07-2008, 05:31 PM
alright, so i just bought a ZC swapped civic from Projekz on this forum very cool guy and a good car. im really new to civics and their engines, not to mention this one has a jrsc that im also completely new with. i just want to know some main answers to some questions i have. a ZC engine, which Civic does it come from? it is a 91, so is this considered an EF? in regards to the jrsc, where do i find parts for this for more boost, and what is the difference between OBD0 and the OBD1? i will have alot of otehr questions im sure, but im not doing alot to this car because its all i need and its my daily. i know i sound like a noob but alot of you know that im not, just a noob to these cars. thanks for the help, and any other info about these cars would be great. i have basic knowledge of them but thats it.

Mr_ET
05-07-2008, 05:41 PM
I actually helped the previous owner swap in that ZC so let me know if you need help with it, I'm familiar with the setup.

For upgrades, I would consider a header, better exhaust as a portion is still stock, a smaller pulley for the supercharger and most of all I would recommend swapping in obd1 parts.

Distributor, o2 sensor, ecu and jumper harness. Since it is auto, this may not be as simple as on a manual so you will need to search on places like Honda tech to see if it can be done.

This is indeed an EF civic and the zc sohc non vtec I believe came out of the EF almost base model in Japan. it is rated at 118hp and your car was dynoed at 120whp on a Mustang dyno here with the current mods

03ozwhip
05-07-2008, 07:03 PM
i thought this already has a header on it? i saw it on there or is it stock? none of this is a must at all though is it? i like how it is now, and i already have a project car so i dont wanna go crazy on this one as well. where do i find smaller pulleys for the JRSC? i went on the site but couldnt find one...thanks for the help!

Mr_ET
05-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Yes it does currently have a lightspeed header but it is quite old and the tubing around the oil pan is bent and hindering flow.

You are right though, it does not need any of those things to run, just to go faster :P

Jackson racing no longer really supports this kit for upgrades so it's hard to find pulleys. I hear endyn can make one but I also hear they are hard to get a hold of.

JRSC was purchased by moss motors a while back and the website to go to for jackson stuff is http://www.supercharger.com/

hope this helps and good luck with the SS!

03ozwhip
05-08-2008, 10:44 AM
thanks bro, i know who ill be calling if i cant get things done!!

JRSC00LUDE
05-08-2008, 10:49 AM
In regards to the pulley, you may want to talk to a machinist and have on custom made. I know richardchan2002 did that with his JRSC prelude.

03ozwhip
05-08-2008, 01:04 PM
im not sure if im even gonna go that route. like i said i have a project car, and this is gonna be my winter/daily car, just with a little more umph. if i feel the need for it i might look around. thanks for the insight though guys!

03ozwhip
05-08-2008, 01:15 PM
also, how do i find parts for this particular engine? i always see things for b series and d series but never for zc.

THE GOVERNATOR
05-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
alright, so i just bought a ZC swapped civic from Projekz on this forum very cool guy and a good car. im really new to civics and their engines, not to mention this one has a jrsc that im also completely new with. i just want to know some main answers to some questions i have. a ZC engine, which Civic does it come from? it is a 91, so is this considered an EF? in regards to the jrsc, where do i find parts for this for more boost, and what is the difference between OBD0 and the OBD1? i will have alot of otehr questions im sure, but im not doing alot to this car because its all i need and its my daily. i know i sound like a noob but alot of you know that im not, just a noob to these cars. thanks for the help, and any other info about these cars would be great. i have basic knowledge of them but thats it.

hey i think i met you in calgary on saturday at muffler man.

03ozwhip
05-08-2008, 03:10 PM
nope, maybe the old owner...

gretz
05-08-2008, 03:19 PM
zc sohc - jdm source can help you with parts

Mr_ET
05-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by gretz
zc sohc - jdm source can help you with parts

Actually any d16a6 parts from an 88-91 si model car will work on this engine.

It is exactly the same engine as the d16a6 only with a wilder cam. I had the same engine in my civic a while back and from experience I can tell you the only difference with both engines is that the a6 pulls more in the top end whereas the zc has better midrange.

I also have a few people I know at Honda if you need some OEM parts so let me know if I can help any more:thumbsup:

03ozwhip
05-08-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET

Actually any d16a6 parts from an 88-91 si model car will work on this engine.

It is exactly the same engine as the d16a6 only with a wilder cam. I had the same engine in my civic a while back and from experience I can tell you the only difference with both engines is that the a6 pulls more in the top end whereas the zc has better midrange.

I also have a few people I know at Honda if you need some OEM parts so let me know if I can help any more:thumbsup:

youre awesome. you pretty much answered everything i need. thanks alot, ill defininitely talk to you when i need some OEM's. thanks again!

03ozwhip
05-08-2008, 09:33 PM
another question, and projekz already told me this but i forgot. what does the boost retard do exactly? how safe is it for me to play with? is it almost like a boost controller for a turbo or am i completely wrong on that?

Mr_ET
05-08-2008, 09:48 PM
Theoretically 0 should mean that there is no retard and you get full boost. Turning this up should reduce the engines power and I am guessing would only be used on very warm days, if you hear the engine ping or if for some reason someone filled the car up with anything less than 91 octane.

crxcel
05-08-2008, 09:56 PM
with my d16a6 jrsc I used a diff crank pulley from a prelude iirc that gave me 2 lbs more boost...cant remeber the year though

Mr_ET
05-09-2008, 06:17 AM
I have heard that this can also work but it may require different belt lengths not just for the supercharger but also the power steering and alternator.

ekguy
05-09-2008, 07:27 AM
didn't this car sell like a little over a week or 2 ago and now had again changed hands?? I am pretty sure I pm'ed the guy about this car it's got to be one ef in the best shape i have ever seen. How does the supercharger pull??? I've had friends try to convince me to supercharge my ek instead of swap or turbo??? Kinda wondering how it is in such a small car as a civic hatch hehe.

03ozwhip
05-09-2008, 09:51 AM
it pulls really hard for a little car. like ET said it was dyno's at 120 whp and 110 ft lb tq. so thats really decent #'s for this car. anyways its safe to say that i dont need to turn up the retard.

Mr_ET
05-09-2008, 10:12 AM
The car was for sale here a little while ago yes.

At the time though, when sold it was believed the engine had a blown headgasket.

When the head was pulled off we found the number 3 cylinder had a pretty crack in it.

We sourced a sohc zc because it runs like stock and they usually have much less kms on them. We then changed the front main seal, oil pan gasket, valve cover seal, cam seal and dizzy seal.

We topped it off with a brand new tri layer metal oem head gasket as well as some ARP headstuds.

It was then bolted up to the original transmission and everything was topped off with royal purple fluids.

I think it's safe to say the car is in very good mechanical shape all around and everything is still in very good shape as well because the car only has about 170 000kms on it.

I was actually surprised when we first drove it and also found that it's pretty quick for only 5 psi and almost stock everything else!

crxcel
05-09-2008, 03:09 PM
should only run one belt on an ef, alternator is on same belt..and what is power steering? :P

JRSC00LUDE
05-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
The car was for sale here a little while ago yes...........

I think it's safe to say the car is in very good mechanical shape all around and everything is still in very good shape as well because the car only has about 170 000kms on it.

I was actually surprised when we first drove it and also found that it's pretty quick for only 5 psi and almost stock everything else!

I didn't realize that all happened in between, dammit! :(

I would have thought about it as a transit car since I've abandoned that thought of building a strip car. It would have been awesome to have another S/C'd car for a daily driver haha. Oh well, enjoy it 03oz!

03ozwhip
05-09-2008, 03:20 PM
im already enjoying it. its my daily driver now, and i just filled it up today (50 bucks ouch on the premium) but well see how far she goes. as long as i stay off the boost for the most part, its all highway driving and i should get good mileage out of it. its definitely a great daily.

JRSC00LUDE
05-09-2008, 03:23 PM
^

The lude is 75 to fill and only gets up to 350km in town...... :(

03ozwhip
05-09-2008, 03:29 PM
well i hope its as good as he told me. but i had a half tank and i had to fill it up cause it was running out this morning and i got 210 on the last half, so it should be decently good.

Mr_ET
05-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by crxcel
should only run one belt on an ef, alternator is on same belt..and what is power steering? :P

Autos came with power steering :P

Feels weird in an EF lol

03ozwhip
05-09-2008, 05:13 PM
i wouldnt know, ive never driven either. its not my preference to be driving an auto, but my wife needs to drive this too.