PDA

View Full Version : Porsche lie leads to $36,000 fine

TACO.VIDAL
05-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Porsche lie leads to $36,000 fine

Man pleads guilty to price tag fib
By CHRIS KITCHING, SUN MEDIA

A Lockport man has been ordered to pay more than $36,000 in costs and fines after he pleaded guilty to lying to border guards in November 2006.

Vladimir Hutsulak, 43, lied to guards at the Emerson crossing about the value of a 2006 Porsche Carrera he was trying to import, said a spokesperson for Canada Border Services Agency.

He told guards he bought the luxury sports car in Texas for $40,950 US, but they checked the car and found a receipt for the actual sale price of $84,970.

The Carrera was seized, and Hutsulak had to pay a civil penalty of $30,600 to get it back, the spokesperson said.

Hutsulak pleaded guilty to a Customs Act charge of evasion of duties and taxes, and was fined $6,229 (the amount of duty and taxes he tried to avoid) on Monday.

D'z Nutz
05-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Still cheaper than if he had it shipped UPS :rofl:

C4S
05-07-2008, 06:16 PM
He thinks Canandian custom are that dumb?? ( well .. they may .. but not when related with tax and duty .. ) :dunno:

max_boost
05-07-2008, 06:19 PM
Why couldn't it be a BMW owner :D

stunta666
05-07-2008, 06:22 PM
What a dumbass for even trying to get away with that. I think even the dumbest border cop would think a porsche would be worth more than $41,000. Hopefully he learned his lesson.

funkedelic
05-07-2008, 06:22 PM
haha i was always warned about lying to the border guards, if your going to lie at least make it believable and plan it out better lol

schocker
05-07-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Because BMW owners would change the bill of sale to say they paid wayyyyy more for the car, ballin.

That is a pretty funny story. To lie about it and then forget the reciept in the vehicle, he thought it out well. I would assume though that this is probably fairly common and most people who do it just arnt that stupid.

7thgenvic
05-07-2008, 06:54 PM
at least get the other guys to make a bill of sale saying 40K and why wouldn't he just do that! what a tard

max_boost
05-07-2008, 06:56 PM
I can understand if the discrepancy in price was smaller for such an expensive vehicle. Probably could have got away with $10K but but $40K? :eek: :nut: :banghead: :rofl:

01RedDX
05-07-2008, 09:20 PM

Bimmer88
05-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Hahahaha So BMW drivers aren't as stupid as you think.

Shift_Perform
05-07-2008, 09:33 PM
borders taxies are gay...period again.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Still cheaper than if he had it shipped UPS :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

schocker
05-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Shift_Perform
borders taxies are gay...period again.
good to know, i was thinking of going to the US, so now i would drive instead of taking the taxi:dunno:

Kaos
05-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Because BMW drivers are too smart for that.
It should've been a MB or Scooby owner hahaha :devil:

zarge
05-07-2008, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by schocker

good to know, i was thinking of going to the US, so now i would drive instead of taking the taxi:dunno:

are you retarded? Can't even decode a simple spelling error lol

schocker
05-07-2008, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by zarge

are you retarded? Can't even decode a simple spelling error lol
i had to after reading the paragraph with 3 periods.

but to bring this back on topic. if you have a bill of sale for a very suspicious amount, but it is legitimate and all signed, what can they do if they dont believe it?

98type_r
05-07-2008, 11:13 PM

but to bring this back on topic. if you have a bill of sale for a very suspicious amount, but it is legitimate and all signed, what can they do if they dont believe it?

I think in that case they charge you based the blue book value of the car. So even if you get a smoking deal you can't beat the taxman.

mx73someday
05-08-2008, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
haha greed and stupidity combine for a hilarious outcome

Stupidity for leaving the receipt in the car maybe, but I don't think tax evasion is greedy.

TACO.VIDAL, do you have a link to the original article?

civickid_21
05-08-2008, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by 98type_r

I think in that case they charge you based the blue book value of the car. So even if you get a smoking deal you can't beat the taxman.

That was my experience back in the day. They told me they had to check the value of the car. Because if the selling price was lower than blue book, I had to pay taxes on the blue book value of the car. Kind of a money grab imo, but it's smart to do when you get people like this importing cars I guess.

Eleanor
05-08-2008, 07:50 AM

That's BS, what if someone justs want to get rid of the car? There's tons of cars selling way below BB value in the states right now.

rage2
05-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
at least get the other guys to make a bill of sale saying 40K and why wouldn't he just do that! what a tard
If you think a fake bill of sale will get you past customs with lower taxes, you're mistaken. They're really good at finding out the truth without your help lol.

Lock you in a room for 5 hours. Search everything on the internet for the sale ad (and ya they'll find it... good google skills), call the guy you bought it from in the US and threaten jail time if they're lying. All sorts of insane shit.

I dunno anyone that's able to sucessfully lie and save a large amount of taxes.

01RedDX
05-08-2008, 08:18 AM

JRSC00LUDE
05-08-2008, 08:41 AM

Really? What would you call it then?

Criminal? Illegal? Dishonest maybe?

01RedDX
05-08-2008, 08:46 AM

adam c
05-08-2008, 09:04 AM
we pay tax when we buy things, we pay tax on money we make, we pay tax on land we own and live on, we pay tax on tax..

taxtaxtaxtaxtaxtaxtaxtaxtaxtax

canuckcarguy
05-08-2008, 09:54 AM

I don't think that's the case. You're allowed to get a deal and pay the appropriate fees and taxes. But they will research it to death if they think you're being dishonest.

I brought up an RV a few years ago, they didn't like the price, and next thing they actually had the eBay listing showing the RV I just bought. I had declared the actual selling price, but they still wanted to see as much evidence as possible. Luckily, I had the eBay listing, the bill of sale, and a copy of my bank statement showing the transfer. They were totally polite, congratulated me on the purchase, and sent me on my way.

Nobody likes to pay taxes, but as soon as you're outright lying to government officials for your own gain, it goes from tax protest to fraud.

max_boost
05-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by rage2

Lock you in a room for 5 hours. Search everything on the internet for the sale ad (and ya they'll find it... good google skills), call the guy you bought it from in the US and threaten jail time if they're lying. All sorts of insane shit.

I dunno anyone that's able to sucessfully lie and save a large amount of taxes. Did this sequence of events happen to someone you know :D

Don't mess with the border guards!:eek:

mx73someday
05-08-2008, 11:48 AM

Really? What would you call it then?

I'm not really sure what to call it, but I know that wanting to keep money that the government is bullying you out of is definitely not being greedy. Maybe you should explain how it's greedy to not want to give a thief your money.

Eleanor
05-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by mx73someday
TACO.VIDAL, do you have a link to the original article?

http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Manitoba/2008/05/06/5486076.html

mazdavirgin
05-08-2008, 12:34 PM

They will make you pay the blue book value if it is too low in order to prevent people from having legit bills of sale for 1$. Then handing the seller another 30k or so under the table which is perfectly legal in terms of the law.

Weapon_R
05-08-2008, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

They will make you pay the blue book value if it is too low in order to prevent people from having legit bills of sale for 1$. Then handing the seller another 30k or so under the table which is perfectly legal in terms of the law.

No, no they don't. Claiming $1 isn't going to fly, but getting spectacular deals is not going to raise any flags if you can prove that's what was paid, what was advertised, and what the seller accepted. If we all paid bluebook for cars in the U.S., it wouldn't be worth importing at all.

ekguy
05-08-2008, 12:55 PM
didn't someone on here have huge issues at the border with an mr2 while telling the god honest truth as well??? I remember that thread I'm pretty sure. Something about leaving the car at some random person's house or something. I could be wrong though.