PDA

View Full Version : Water pipes makes a buzzing/vibrating action

jaylo
05-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Hi,

One of our showers here whenever you let hot water out it makes this loud, buzzing, and vibrating sound causing the piping to vibrate like hell.

Just wondering what I can do to fix this problem. It just started happening this year.

Our water heater is about 2 years old and I have not drained it all the way for service.

97'Scort
05-08-2008, 09:49 AM
It's called water hammer, and usually happens as the pipe expands or if there is an air leak in the line. Does your faucet sputter like it has air in it when you first turn it on?

JRSC00LUDE
05-08-2008, 10:13 AM
If it's water hammer, it happens when you shut the taps off. If that is the case, you could try shutting off your water main and opening all your taps/faucets and draining all the lines. Then turn the main back on and go close everything once it's flowing again. The air chambers in your system that help prevent hammering could be filled with water.

89coupe
05-08-2008, 10:15 AM
You have air in the lines. All you need to do is take a blow torch and heat up the pipes, it will get rid of the air.

JRSC00LUDE
05-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Also, if it only happens when you use one specific tap/faucet it could be as simple as a bad washer in the faucet.

97'Scort
05-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
If it's water hammer, it happens when you shut the taps off. If that is the case, you could try shutting off your water main and opening all your taps/faucets and draining all the lines. Then turn the main back on and go close everything once it's flowing again. The air chambers in your system that help prevent hammering could be filled with water.

Older houses don't usually have hammer arrestors installed. Might be a good thing to put in, though.

JRSC00LUDE
05-08-2008, 10:29 AM
^

Good point, I was assuming it was a "newer" home. :)

adam c
05-08-2008, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
You have air in the lines. All you need to do is take a blow torch and heat up the pipes, it will get rid of the air.

so he's going to tear down his wall and take a blow torch to his pipes... really? does this make any sense to you?

JRSC00LUDE
05-08-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by adam c

so he's going to tear down his wall and take a blow torch to his pipes... really? does this make any sense to you?

It's only money, relax. ;)

adam c
05-08-2008, 10:47 AM

It's only money, relax. ;)

i forgot.. 89coupe is the baller of beyond

89coupe
05-08-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by adam c

No, just take the faucet off and heat the pipe right there. It will work, I've seen it done.

JRSC00LUDE
05-08-2008, 11:10 AM
^

Agreed. :)

I'm pretty sure one of the things mentioned here will solve his problem.

jaylo
05-09-2008, 09:26 PM
It worked!

Thank you so much for the tips everyone!

97'Scort
05-10-2008, 12:47 AM
Haha may I ask which method worked?

jaylo
05-10-2008, 10:25 AM

This method worked!

pattyt
05-10-2008, 05:02 PM
it happens to me when i flush the toilet? ...but when i run the tap it doesnt happen while i flush , so will the same method work?

JRSC00LUDE
05-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by jaylo

This method worked!

Yay! This thread should be stickied, nobody will believe I actually made a helpful post! :rofl:

97'Scort
05-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Well, you did pull a guy out of a river, didn't you?