PDA

View Full Version : Rattling clunk from lowering springs

Afrodeziak
05-08-2008, 11:20 AM
Hey guys, just doing a basic set of tenzo springs into my 04 civic. They are the kind with the sleeve and adjustable part. ie. a cheap alternative to coilovers. Using my stock shocks. Put on some new wheels 17" so wanting it to sit a bit better.

Before I get flamed and get a "what do you expect for spending nothing... well I don't expect rattling, lol"

So I installed these on my stock shocks, the only problem is, I am getting some almost rattling noises in the rear when I hit bumps, like a lot of metal. I do have bump-stops (cut down) so would hear more of a thud then metal sounding. I would say it sounds like I have a bunch of bolts loose.I've basically made sure everything was tight, etc. Just wondering why such a basic set of springs are giving me this much trouble. Also seems that the rear shock stroke is pretty much all taken (there isn't a lot of room to adjust these things unless I want to go back to stock ride height)

Also when coming to a stop I think I am hearing the fronts slide a bit ?

My friend who I confide in for car stuff helped me do these springs and he's not too sure why it isn't working out, said it's pretty basic to throw these in and usually it's fine.

If anyone can shoot me some wisdom on why these "coilover sleeved" springs are making noise, let me know.

cheers
B

Green Toast
05-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Even with expensive add on coilovers you will have a nasty rattle, I have to install some tonight on a fellow Beyond members car tonight. He wants to learn the lesson the hard way too, although I think he thinks a pizza he already owes me is gonna cover it.

;)

As for a reason why. The spring does not put enough tension on the whole setup due to it being a lot shorter (decompressed) than the factory spring or even a lowering spring.

JRSC00LUDE
05-08-2008, 11:52 AM
^

Quiet you. :guns:

Green Toast
05-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
^

Quiet you. :guns:

hahahaha, that was quick.

Afrodeziak
05-08-2008, 11:59 AM
I understand your concept of it being shorter, so less load to keep it all together at times.. therefore some possible pplay in the parts.

Would you recommend to get some tokico blues or something with a shorter working spring travel (if that makes sense).

I'm not looking to spend thousands, but willing to put a bit of money to make this work better.

Also, on the fronts there was this huge "spring perch" with a set of bearings on them. I swapped this out for the smaller one as the coilover seemed like it wouldn't seat at all in the large perch.. No real way to use the bearings though. Is this just the way it is ?

B

JRSC00LUDE
05-08-2008, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't recommend going with tokico anything personally, but certainly not the blues. From everything I have researched way more people have problems with blues than don't.

Your stock shocks aren't going to last nearly as long on a lowered setup and If you're going to spend money on new shocks I would just bite the bullet and get quality the first time.

You should be able to get a set of 4 quality shocks (like koni's) for around $600.

Bowser
05-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Did you remember to index the spring/shock properly when you were putting it all back together. That's usually the biggest problem when it comes to suspension noise. Even if it's off by a little bit, you can get some clunking and poping noises over bumps or turning at slow speeds.

For more info you can check out http://www.civicforums.com/forums/182-7th-gen-honda-civic and just search the diy.

Afrodeziak
05-08-2008, 02:44 PM
I didn't even use the larger top perch with the bearing ring.. My spring and mount wouldn't fit it properly.. it would have just slid all over the place.. wondering if this is where I went wrong ? Although this is the front.. on the rear I read up and the indexing doesn't matter quite as much.. I mean the top mount either goes 180 degrees one way or the other.

B

GTS Jeff
05-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Green Toast
Even with expensive add on coilovers you will have a nasty rattle, I have to install some tonight on a fellow Beyond members car tonight. He wants to learn the lesson the hard way too, although I think he thinks a pizza he already owes me is gonna cover it.

;)

As for a reason why. The spring does not put enough tension on the whole setup due to it being a lot shorter (decompressed) than the factory spring or even a lowering spring.

Wrong, if you buy quality shit, the shocks are shorter stroke to match the shorter springs, so the springs will stay seated in their perches.

Afro, just be sure that the spring doesn't unseat so much that it pops out completely. If that happened, you would be in the shit.

Green Toast
05-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Wrong, if you buy quality shit, the shocks are shorter stroke to match the shorter springs, so the springs will stay seated in their perches.

Afro, just be sure that the spring doesn't unseat so much that it pops out completely. If that happened, you would be in the shit.

I disagree, have you worked with those sleeved coilvers, you can't get a strut that is short enough stroke to keep enough tension on the springs so they don't rattle. Although even if you could I doubt you could keep them from rattling in the long run.

GTS Jeff
05-08-2008, 11:22 PM

I disagree, have you worked with those sleeved coilvers, you can't get a strut that is short enough stroke to keep enough tension on the springs so they don't rattle. Although even if you could I doubt you could keep them from rattling in the long run. LOL yeah I have...what the hell have you been working on? Don't tell me you're one of those ricers that thinks Tein SS is considered quality gear!! :rofl: :rofl:

In any proper setup, the shock stroke is shorter to match the shorter springs so everything is preloaded even when the shock is at full extension. In the setups where this isn't the case, they'll come with helper springs to keep the main springs preloaded.

Green Toast
05-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Well I am a ricer from way back, last night JRSC00LUDE and I dropped his front end. He picked up some koni adjustable struts and Ground Control coilovers. So as usual there is no tension on the springs so they make some noise. We didn't have the benefit or helper springs, I have never seen these shorter stroke struts you speak of. Post a link cuz that would be useful to others if they go this route.

Afrodeziak
05-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Well I hate to admit it, but part of my problem was that my lugs were not tight enough.. one of my wheels managed to start to loosen itself off to the point that it was making noise.. yeaaaa.

so the noises have gone away :) accept for the "binding pop" noise I get when going really slow and turning my wheels, typically just when leaving a parking spot or whatever.

I have read up on this indexing, but considering I am using adjustable coilover sleeves which are on metal cups, I am not sure I see where indexing even comes into play, as well considering I am not using the larger perch (with bearings) since it wouldn't fit my smaller spring/metal cup.

B

GTS Jeff
05-12-2008, 05:50 PM
Well I am a ricer from way back, last night JRSC00LUDE and I dropped his front end. He picked up some koni adjustable struts and Ground Control coilovers. So as usual there is no tension on the springs so they make some noise. We didn't have the benefit or helper springs, I have never seen these shorter stroke struts you speak of. Post a link cuz that would be useful to others if they go this route. "Short" isn't a brand name so I have no link to post. It's an adjective I'm using to say that the stroke of the shock is physically reduced in length and that coilover sets will have shocks with stroke lengths designed to work with the reduced length of the springs.

But in your case, these could help:

http://www.google.ca/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLJ_enCA270CA270&q=spring+insulator

Green Toast
05-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Wow I am trying to be polite and you are being a smart ass. You really don't have a clue what you are talking about. Maybe post when you are done keyboard racing and actually turn a wrench on something you claim to know something about.

That link was bunk and full of useless information, much as it seems you are.

I tried being nice, but it seems like you don't want to have a civil conversation. Are you actually aware of what we are talking about?

GTS Jeff
05-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Wow I am trying to be polite and you are being a smart ass. You really don't have a clue what you are talking about. Maybe post when you are done keyboard racing and actually turn a wrench on something you claim to know something about.

That link was bunk and full of useless information, much as it seems you are.

I tried being nice, but it seems like you don't want to have a civil conversation. Are you actually aware of what we are talking about? K maybe you haven't noticed, but you're being a whiny internet bitch right now.

1. I haven't been a smart ass, I've described exactly what I'm talking about. You're just getting defensive because you think I'm making you look bad. I'm not, so calm down.
2. I haven't made any retarded assumptions about your mechanical knowledge nor have I made any rude comments to you, so why would you with me? Are you trying to push me into listing out my automotive experiences or something?
3. That link was for spring insulators, which help springs stay seated in their perches and are found in all OEM applications, but rarely in custom setups. However, they do exist and they solve the problem you're describing. Here's yet another link:

http://www.tein.co.jp/products/tool.html

So, how does it feel to put your foot in your mouth? :rolleyes:

Afrodeziak
05-14-2008, 05:57 PM
I am no longer watching my own thread due to both of your lame remarks towards each other... keep the internet fighting in the matrix fella's

this thread is as good as closed.

GTS Jeff
05-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Afrodeziak
I am no longer watching my own thread due to both of your lame remarks towards each other... keep the internet fighting in the matrix fella's

this thread is as good as closed. Thanks, n00b-moderator. :thumbsup:

If anyone's ever wondered why 99% of my posts on Beyond are just garbage, here's the perfect example of why. If I ever do take the time to put up correct information, the ricers come out of the woodwork to defend their illthought purchases against my comments, and all that correct information goes unnoticed.

So...back to posting garbage again, thanks.

JRSC00LUDE
05-14-2008, 06:24 PM
Jeff, are you calling me a ricer you filthy son of a bitch???

;)

GTS Jeff
05-14-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Jeff, are you calling me a ricer you filthy son of a bitch???

;) Yeah, crawl back up your mom's hole, ya damn ricer. :rofl:

Oh yeah, your mother's a whore.

Supa Dexta
05-14-2008, 07:34 PM
hey now!

.. get in line.. and that line starts here.

JRSC00LUDE
05-16-2008, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Oh yeah, your mother's a whore.

Wow. I can't believe I had to find that out on the internet. Guess it explains why "daddy" only ever stayed for 30 mins at a time and always had a different haircut..... :cry: