PDA

View Full Version : ne1 ever own a klr650

hedge
05-08-2008, 01:10 PM
I have been without a bike now for a few years, and have the itch really bad this spring. I am considering this bike. Has anyone owned it that can give me some impressions. I know that the dual-purpose bikes aren't great at anything but it would be nice to ride on road and a bit of light off-road.

I have been riding since I was 7 (I'm now 38) and have previously owned dirt bikes, 'standard' bikes and sport bikes and I'm thinking I might be very dissapointed in the performance.

I would primarily be using it for simple transportation, commuting etc. I'm a little concerned about the lack of power on the highway, does it at least have enough oomph to pass?

gmarq
05-08-2008, 05:28 PM
It's about as fast as a Ninja 250 if you've ever been on one, similar top speed as well (~160km/hr). They're a lot more torquey and a cool, affordable all around bike, but just like the Ninja 250 they have abysmal passing power. If your riding style is even somewhat aggressive on the highway you'll find yourself wanting a lot more power at that speed. In the city and cruising secondary highways they're great.

Don't plan on too much offroading or trail riding though, it's a VERY heavy bike and you'll hate it if you're at all used to riding proper dirt machines...

BlueGoblin
05-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Though I haven't owned one, I have put a few miles on them; gmarq is quite right about them being a good allrounder. They get very good fuel economy as well and the high seating position and the torque make for a great city machine.

I wouldn't get one as a highway cruiser unless there was going to be some gravel at the end of the highway, or unless fuel economy was everything and I wasn't in any hurry.

benyl
05-09-2008, 11:19 AM
The Center of gravity on the bike is quite high. I wouldn't do anything more than riding on gravel back roads and some really light trail riding.

Torque is nice.

It is only a 5 speed (as I recall) and geared fairly tall (hence the fuel economy they are talking about). Not good for passing.