PDA

View Full Version : Time limits on accidents?

nickyh
05-08-2008, 01:27 PM
Some advice / help appreciated here.

To make a long story short - backed up into another vehicle and gave our info to the other party. The owner was walking up to his car as it happened and we were very apologetic and he was quite cool and calm about it.

I am 100% at fault - his car was parked, I was parking.

Some minor damage done to the other SUV, looked like the qtr panal on the drivers side rear was loosened.
We took on a little more damage than the other SUV.

Anyhoo, here is my question:
How long does the other party have to claim against my insurance company?
I've already contacted my insurance company and given them all the info so when his insurance co. calls mine - almost everything is set up.
I know that if his damage exceeds $1000 he has to file a police report and so do we before we can get our SUV fixed.

How long should this whole process take and how long does he have to make the claim.

My worry is: what if something else happens to his car during that time frame - and then goes after me for a whole lot more?? I was in shock after in happened and did not even think to take pictures of the damage with my cell phone camera.

Please don't flame, this is my first accident and yes I am at fault. I've beaten myself up enough already.

Thanks in advance.

ralliart_girl
05-08-2008, 01:30 PM
He has up to 2 yrs from the date of the acciden to conclude his claim.

If you have pic of his damages you should be fine. Insurance companies will typically have an appraiser look at the damages, take pics whatever...they are not going to pay for something that they do not feel is part of the original accident.

Hope this helps.

Edit: oh, and it really depends when he can get into a bodyshop to do the repairs...since the shops are so busy now...I guess, unless he has a hookup, at least a couple of months or so to complete the whole process..

nickyh
05-08-2008, 01:56 PM
ouch - 2 years....... oh well.

Yeah it sucks that the body shops are so busy right now, most places told me that just to get an estimate was a 3 week wait, but one place was able to squeeze me in.

LadyLuck
05-08-2008, 02:03 PM
since you said he was cool and calm about the situation, call him up and ask if its ok for you to show up and take pictures of the damage that you did, just to be safe on both sides. Im sure he wouldnt mind. I made my friend do that a year ago after a guy rear ended her pretty hard and was a bitch about it too. We showed up at his house and asked to take pictures, he didnt seem to mind.

ralliart_girl
05-08-2008, 02:04 PM
yea dude...2 yrs..

Just remember, it is two yrs for him to claim, but for you it is only 1 yrs to conclude your claim.

spikerS
05-08-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by ralliart_girl
He has up to 2 yrs from the date of the acciden to initiate his claim.

[/B]

fixed.

403Gemini
05-08-2008, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by spikers

fixed.

Wrong.

2 years after the Date of Loss to conclude, not to initiate.

edit: please, argue with ralliart_girl and me, this will be commical.