PDA

View Full Version : stunting

sxtasy
08-18-2003, 10:56 PM
alright, so my buddy got his 240 not to long ago and he took her for a burn in the parking lot of mount royal college. He was doin figure eights with his headlights off. And to his luck there was a cop diving by. Yes we already know that this was very stupid to do. So he got a stunting ticket (400 and something dollars) and driving without lights on (100 and something dollar ticket). He is concerned about the demerits much more than the money...Is there anyway of getting off of these tickets??TIA

rage2
08-18-2003, 11:02 PM
I thought cops can't give tickets in a private lot... check with Pointts on this one.

Weapon_R
08-18-2003, 11:03 PM
Send me a PM - I can help you here.

Horatio
08-19-2003, 09:47 AM
is MRC a private lot? just asking 'cuz when I got a parking ticket there, it was City of Calgary.

Greg

Wildcat
08-19-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I thought cops can't give tickets in a private lot... check with Pointts on this one.

if a resident or near byt neighboor complained giving the cops a reason to go there then they can ticket away..

method
08-19-2003, 01:06 PM
my friend and I used to donut the hell out of those new parking lots at mount royale. we got bugged by security once and didn't go back after that. good thing I guess.

rage2
08-19-2003, 01:10 PM
I brought up the private lot thing because AutoX's run on parking lots, such as in red deer this weekend. If a cop can give a stunting ticket on a private lot, then all of us could've been ticketed this weekend for racing.

I thought all you can get is a trespassing ticket, and that's only if the owners of the lot complained.

I taught my wife how to drive manual in a private lot, and during practice, she did a few "launches" accidently trying to get used to the clutch. I mean if we got ticketed for stunting, it would've been absurd.

turboMiata
08-19-2003, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I taught my wife how to drive manual in a private lot

hehe. I learnt stick on the corrado at the strathcona iga parking lot during the day!

Davan
08-19-2003, 02:28 PM
Which parking lot? We just had a lot of those repaved! bastards! :D :D :D

Ryoslide
08-19-2003, 02:32 PM
As far as I know a police officer cannot give out a ticket on private property. It has to be city property. Thats why a cop has to catch you with the radar on city property he cannot be sitting in the Mac donalds parking lot. Plus thats why at least here in Sask the cops have to set there laser radar up in the parking lane because it is city property. So i figure if that lot is city property then its not good for you. If it is private then they would actualy have to produce a report of a complaint to the court if it goes to that..

Khyron
08-19-2003, 04:12 PM
So say I drive up on your lawn and do donuts - the police can't arrest me? There's something missing here (I agree about the parking lots - our bike class was playing motorcycle polo at McMann lot.

Khyron

Wildcat
08-19-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Khyron
So say I drive up on your lawn and do donuts - the police can't arrest me? There's something missing here (I agree about the parking lots - our bike class was playing motorcycle polo at McMann lot.

Khyron

we already established that the police need to be called in.. in order to dish out authority on private property

Khyron
08-19-2003, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

we already established that the police need to be called in.. in order to dish out authority on private property

Yah and I'm calling :bullshit: that it's that vague. You drive on someones lawn, and start doing donuts in front of a cop, he's going to bust your ass whether he gets called or not.

There's obviously some rules concerning private land (having races in mall lots etc) but at the same time.

I suspect there's a clause that says the cop can "act in the interest of the property owner" - so if it looks like an organized event (like auto-X) then they ignore it, if it looks like something spontanious that the owner probably didn't approve the cop can act. So with our friend above, he probably needs something from MRC saying he had permission (or the procecution needs something saying he didnt). Something like that.

That's my suspicion anyways - probably wrong. :P

Khyron

Weapon_R
08-19-2003, 10:13 PM
An officer can give you a ticket wherever you are on his/her discretion. If you are doing something extremely stupid, they will bust your ass regardless of where you are. I've seen countless people being pulled over because they were doing mall parking lot donuts, but that doesn't mean the cop is restricted from issuing a ticket.

Hell, i've even known someone who got a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign in the parking lot of sunridge mall...who the hell stops for those anyways??

Abom
08-19-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
An officer can give you a ticket wherever you are on his/her discretion. If you are doing something extremely stupid, they will bust your ass regardless of where you are. I've seen countless people being pulled over because they were doing mall parking lot donuts, but that doesn't mean the cop is restricted from issuing a ticket.

To clarify, I nearly got busted once for "engaging in a speed contest", long story, in the parking lot behind Silver City a good 2 years ago or so. The cops have authority on parking lots of malls, movie theaters, etc, because, and I quote what the officer told me, "it is a public accessible roadway".

So, unless the owner of the parking lot closes it off to random traffic, and allows donuts, auto-x, whatever, it is considered a public roadway and the cops can ticket you for whatever. Most times they don't ticket people on mall parking lots, movie parking lots, etc, for simple stuff. But if you do donuts, race someone, drive through at 180 km/h, they can and will ticket you.

rice_eater
08-20-2003, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Ryoslide
As far as I know a police officer cannot give out a ticket on private property. It has to be city property. Thats why a cop has to catch you with the radar on city property he cannot be sitting in the Mac donalds parking lot. Plus thats why at least here in Sask the cops have to set there laser radar up in the parking lane because it is city property. So i figure if that lot is city property then its not good for you. If it is private then they would actualy have to produce a report of a complaint to the court if it goes to that..

is that why i always see cops at the Staples on bow trail comming into downtown?? :rolleyes:

davidI
08-20-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by rice_eater

is that why i always see cops at the Staples on bow trail comming into downtown?? :rolleyes:

Whenever I see them there they are on the grass...not in the staples parking lot :dunno:

Spenser
08-20-2003, 11:25 PM
tell your friend to tell the court he was trying to "learn on a manually opperated vehicule while turning really sharply with the added threat of having poor visibility" I know it sounds really stupid, But hey, I went to court and told them and i quote "I have gotten 6 tickets for the same thing and if you can reduce it i can pay if off and learn my lesson" and it worked. that was in youth court tho.

Z24
08-20-2003, 11:48 PM
There's no demerits for the headlight ticket is there?

sin
08-21-2003, 11:51 PM
it works as if a public area can see the private area, then you can be ticketed, and its not really a cops discretion, the laws are written as they are for a reason.

Weapon_R
08-21-2003, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by sin
it works as if a public area can see the private area, then you can be ticketed, and its not really a cops discretion, the laws are written as they are for a reason.

The law is meant to be interpreted. If it were all black and white, there would be no reason to have a court system or lawyers.

StrokeD z
08-23-2003, 11:33 AM
so if i was doing a brake stand on my drive way(not that i would) a cop can give me a ticket

damn you gus are dumb