PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Matrix?

GuitaristZ
05-10-2008, 11:26 AM
I am thinking of picking up a 2009, possibly, toyota matrix. Any input on this car?

I heard the pontiac vibe is mechanically the same, but yeah.

Finally, any other cars in this price range that I should look at...I want some decent cargo space, but I want the car less than 20,000$

also, which toyota dealer is best in calgary?

Bushy
05-10-2008, 11:31 AM
I had a vibe. I do alot of camping and really loved it. The only fault I had with the car was power. But I would never buy new again. Id go 1 year old so you dont get hit with as much depreciation. I had the 2006 Vibe AWD, which in that year had less power than then other models anyway. But yes toyota-pontiac are partnered for this vehicle to mechanically they are the same.

The mazda3 wagon is pretty good too I think. At least you could get a 2.3L, not sure about price tho

NJ Devils
05-10-2008, 11:48 AM
wait for the 09 supra lol

blueToy
05-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by GuitaristZ
I am thinking of picking up a 2009, possibly, toyota matrix. Any input on this car?

I heard the pontiac vibe is mechanically the same, but yeah.

Finally, any other cars in this price range that I should look at...I want some decent cargo space, but I want the car less than 20,000$

also, which toyota dealer is best in calgary?

Wife and I picked up a 09 Matrix XRS ( Sunburst ) and it's been great so far . We got it at Country Hills , as we couldn't even get anyone at Charlesglen to even look at us ( VERY POOR CUSTOMER RELATIONS ) . That being said , if the front end staff at Charlesglen are so shitty , I can only imagine the chaos in the service/parts departments . So we stopped at CHT , and they literally ran to greet us , and their attention to details left us feeling confident that we'd found the dealer we wanted .
They impressed us , and it's not easy to do . Also , one of the biggest selling point for me was that a buddies best friend is a tech there . I can deal with the ' horse's head ' , rather deal with the tools ( no offence ) that man the front desks/phones .

As for the car , we've been pretty careful not to push it ( until at least the second oil change ) , but it has a nice and easy to work with engine/tranny combo . Handling is getting more impressive with every ride . The lower profile tires do make for a stiffer ride though . The brakes ( 4 wheel disc ) are crisp and have very good feedback . The interior is very functional with a decent sound system and the seats are comfortable , even on longish trips . The ' cargo ' area is large and easily accessible . Controls are very well place and easy to use , and I'm getting more used to the dash . Layout is excellent . Sunroof is nice , just wish it was about 4 inches closer to the windshield . The fuel milage seems to be getting better with each tankful , but is ( as per usual with Toyota ) deffinitly not as good as they advertise . We'll have to wait a few more months and more miles to see where it ends up at , to be fair .

As for the looks of the thing , it wasn't my first choice , but it has been growing on me . I'm even starting to really like the color ( Wife picked it ) , and overall , I'd have to say it's a " good bang for your buck " kinda car . It suits us and our needs for now , and they threw in free oil changes for life of the car , so that'll free up my time to work on some of my other projects :clap: .

Vibe/Matrix similarities/differences . I believe they do share the same rolling stock , but the body work is slightly different . The vibe is put together in the US ( California ? ) , the Matrix is put together in Ontario . Other then that , I'm not too sure .

As for base price , it is under $20,000 , but grows quickly . If you are looking for something with a few toys or options on a base model , the Carrolla might be something for you . Lots of other vehicles around this price range too that are decent .... Honda Fit , Yaris , Mazda3 , actually there are lots to look at , but a lot depends on what really suits your needs , and it's probably prudent to hit all the dealer and try out there stuff for yourself .

Cheers and good luck

dino_martini
05-10-2008, 03:47 PM
I'd take a look at the Saturn Astra. It can get expensive loaded up, I think its around $26,000 will leather and the really good stero but its a pretty good car. Doesnt feel to small, drives pretty well. Get a manual if you can, the automatic sucks any power from the engine.

If you head to Hyatt, give Derek Sheahan a call. We bought a Saab from him today, but he showed us every car they had. Cool guy, no pressure.

Toms-SC
05-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Nice on the Saab.

Gibson
05-10-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm sorry, but the new Matrix's are extraordinarily good looking cars in my opinion. What sucks about the the new Matrix line up is that you can't get the AWD option with a 5 speed manual, and not even a 5 speed auto, it's only paired with the 4 speed auto. The good is that every trim line comes with discs all around which is more then can be said for the Corolla, which is what the Matrix is based of.

Then again, I do also really like the way the Astra looks.

Mista.2
05-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Toyota FTW :thumbsup: plus they look damn sexy lol. :hitit:

4doorj
05-10-2008, 05:55 PM
i see a new orange matrix in my neighborhood all the time...
i think it looks really good:thumbsup:
im wondering if its u... do u live in new brighton?

Originally posted by blueToy

Wife and I picked up a 09 Matrix XRS ( Sunburst ) and it's been great so far . We got it at Country Hills , as we couldn't even get anyone at Charlesglen to even look at us ( VERY POOR CUSTOMER RELATIONS ) . That being said , if the front end staff at Charlesglen are so shitty , I can only imagine the chaos in the service/parts departments . So we stopped at CHT , and they literally ran to greet us , and their attention to details left us feeling confident that we'd found the dealer we wanted .
They impressed us , and it's not easy to do . Also , one of the biggest selling point for me was that a buddies best friend is a tech there . I can deal with the ' horse's head ' , rather deal with the tools ( no offence ) that man the front desks/phones .

As for the car , we've been pretty careful not to push it ( until at least the second oil change ) , but it has a nice and easy to work with engine/tranny combo . Handling is getting more impressive with every ride . The lower profile tires do make for a stiffer ride though . The brakes ( 4 wheel disc ) are crisp and have very good feedback . The interior is very functional with a decent sound system and the seats are comfortable , even on longish trips . The ' cargo ' area is large and easily accessible . Controls are very well place and easy to use , and I'm getting more used to the dash . Layout is excellent . Sunroof is nice , just wish it was about 4 inches closer to the windshield . The fuel milage seems to be getting better with each tankful , but is ( as per usual with Toyota ) deffinitly not as good as they advertise . We'll have to wait a few more months and more miles to see where it ends up at , to be fair .

As for the looks of the thing , it wasn't my first choice , but it has been growing on me . I'm even starting to really like the color ( Wife picked it ) , and overall , I'd have to say it's a " good bang for your buck " kinda car . It suits us and our needs for now , and they threw in free oil changes for life of the car , so that'll free up my time to work on some of my other projects :clap: .

Vibe/Matrix similarities/differences . I believe they do share the same rolling stock , but the body work is slightly different . The vibe is put together in the US ( California ? ) , the Matrix is put together in Ontario . Other then that , I'm not too sure .

As for base price , it is under $20,000 , but grows quickly . If you are looking for something with a few toys or options on a base model , the Carrolla might be something for you . Lots of other vehicles around this price range too that are decent .... Honda Fit , Yaris , Mazda3 , actually there are lots to look at , but a lot depends on what really suits your needs , and it's probably prudent to hit all the dealer and try out there stuff for yourself .

Cheers and good luck

blueToy
05-10-2008, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by 4doorj
i see a new orange matrix in my neighborhood all the time...
i think it looks really good:thumbsup:
im wondering if its u... do u live in new brighton?

Negative . I'm a Nor'westner .

GuitaristZ
05-11-2008, 03:28 PM
picked up a 2005 Rav4 instead...mint...like 20,000 kms

It was more than what the matrix was, but yeah, I think it was worth it.

pinoyhero
05-11-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm a huge fan of the 09 matrix for the money I dont know what else I'd even consider

blownz
05-12-2008, 08:36 AM
^ Mazda 3? The Matrix looks ugly imo. I would even take the Vibe over it.

And to the OP, I hope you enjoy the Rav4. :thumbsup:

Xtrema
05-12-2008, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by blownz
^ Mazda 3? The Matrix looks ugly imo. I would even take the Vibe over it.

Yeah, 09 Vibe looks better than Matrix for sure. And Country Hill's service department has threaten to cancel my friend's free oil changes on the RAV4 if he doesn't let them install a $30 pollen filter for $90 as part of service. May be he didn't read the fine print but that still bad taste, IMO.

Other options are more expensive than the base Matrix, you just can't beat it's $16K price tag. That even beat some Korean prices.

rc2002
05-12-2008, 09:09 AM
I'd pick up a Subaru Impreza hatch over a Matrix. Price is comparable, but the Subaru looks way better and offers manual transmission and AWD together.

4doorj
05-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Yeah, 09 Vibe looks better than Matrix for sure. And Country Hill's service department has threaten to cancel my friend's free oil changes on the RAV4 if he doesn't let them install a $30 pollen filter for $90 as part of service. May be he didn't read the fine print but that still bad taste, IMO.

Other options are more expensive than the base Matrix, you just can't beat it's $16K price tag. That even beat some Korean prices.
yeah that free oil changes for life is a scam!
it sucks that u have to get all your services from them or they cancel it
pretty good scam though! i was almost sold on it when i was helping my dad look for a car. I asked a friend that worked at a toyota because it sounded to good to be true.

Euro838
05-12-2008, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by 4doorj

yeah that free oil changes for life is a scam!
it sucks that u have to get all your services from them or they cancel it
pretty good scam though! i was almost sold on it when i was helping my dad look for a car. I asked a friend that worked at a toyota because it sounded to good to be true.

Yes, the free oil changes from the dealerships have always been that way. Honda first had it and had to follow their schedule, missing even one would cancel the service. I guess if you are someone who always takes it to the dealership anyways, then it's a good deal as it does save you the $30 on the oil change part on every service. I do think it's a scam for them to charge so much over part cost for changing the cabin (dust/pollen) filter. It's one of those user replaceable parts, takes like 5 min and can't believe they want to charge $20+ to do it.

Anyways, back to the topic of the 2009 Matrix. I actually quite like it and has drawn me to thinking about picking one up. I believe in Toyota quality but thought the last gen corolla and matrix were boring and ugly and was really considering picking up a mazda 3 instead. Can anyone who owns/driven the new corolla or matrix comment on the driving feel of the two engines? i.e. 2.4L xrs vs 1.8 L

Also, did anyone compare with either the Mazda 3/Vibe/astra?

Those who bought the Matrix, were they willing to move much on the price? or include/discount accessories?
Thanks.

bobby_lu
05-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Matrix bonus is definately that it comes in 4wd as well, but somewhat under powered compared to MZ3 hatch.

heavyD
05-12-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I'd pick up a Subaru Impreza hatch over a Matrix. Price is comparable, but the Subaru looks way better and offers manual transmission and AWD together.

Subaru looks way better? Are you serious? The Imprezza and Matrix both look pretty average/mundane. The Saturn Astra is one of the nicest looking under $30K hatches IMO.

treg50
05-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Looks-wise, the new Matrix and Vibe are both good looking this time around but as is the norm you have to pay little extra to get the nicer wheels and exterior body trim-bits. The Vibe, much like the previous model, is pretty much the same car -- IF you can find a used Vibe it's a great deal.

Otherwise, if it's new save yourself a couple grand and don't get Matrix, get a new Vibe and a new 42" LCD! :D