PDA

View Full Version : Subprime - Canadas Problem

broken_legs
05-11-2008, 10:49 PM
Yes its another real estate thread!

I just wanted to separate out the Canadian lending problem we are/could/will be facing from the other threads on here.

If you don't think subprime lending standards are going to affect real estate in Canada you should give this a read. This letter is from a Mortgage Broker responding to an article at this blog:

http://www.greaterfool.ca/

I truly enjoy reading your very honest and candid opinions regarding the upcoming Canadian Real Estate market.

I have been arranging mortgages for the last 18 years in Canada, brokering for the last 12 and have seen many changes in the industry.

However, find it absolutely shocking that most Canadians don’t think we even have a Subprime market in Canada.

The introduction of the 40 year amortizations, true no money down financing and stated income programs allowing clients to fabricate their income and purchase with 5% down are truly the driving force in the market. Do I agree with these programs? No…. But these programs have seemed to become acceptable by the Bank’s and the public as the new industry standards.

I honestly don’t think the public even understands what a “Subprime” Mortgage is.

It never gets defined.

Does it only pertain to clients with blemished credit? Or is it the inability to provide documented proof of their actual income or completed tax returns?

Yes I think those qualify and maybe that was where this all started… But I now believe that the subprime market has evolved into a new much more diverse demographic. And what is most discerning is the fact the many consumers may not even be aware that they are now a part of this market.

My own personal definition of a subprime mortgage is one that is detrimental to the financial wellbeing of the end user. Now this may sound very generic, but the following will explain why:

The newest edition to the subprime market is those who are being attracted to allure of homeownership, but necessitate the requirement of the extended amortizations, and extended GDS and TDS ratio’s to qualify.

The Bank’s and Mortgage Insurance companies (CMHC and Genworth) have previously maintained 32% GDS and 40% TD ratios for as long as I have been providing mortgages, since 1990. However there are significant gaps in the credit application which is significantly understating expenses. Back in the early 90’s gas prices were half of what they are today, food cost, income taxes, heat and hydro would have been about 1/3 the cost today. But in recognition to these increases in expenses, what does the Banks and CMHC do?? Increase the GDS on exception to 42% and TD to 45%. Also the banks only require a monthly figure of $100.00 per month for heat as the sole supplemental expense relating to home ownership outside of the mortgage and property taxes and 50% of condo fees. No other expenses are being included. Well I live in a 2000 sq ft home and in the Winter my heat and hydro bills combined are coming in close to $400- $500 per month. Certainly not the $100 allotted by the banks. Now with high priced Cell phone bills, high speed internet, and the latest HD cable, most consumers are faced with a $200 – 300 a month expense, also not included. Car insurance, I know some families with young drivers that are now paying close to $800 per month for insurance or if they have a less then perfect driving record. Finally, the clients commute to work; I had a client who was driving from St Catherines to Toronto 5 days a week. At todays gas prices and parking costs, easily an additional 500.00- $600 per month expense. Again not on the application. Now one can say that some of these are luxury items, however for the majority of people these are real expenses which have to be maintained in addition to the new mortgage payment.

So my first addition to the subprime market is any consumer who has not factored in these additional expenses, is running with a GDS and TDS above the original 32% and 40% and has had to extend their amortization beyond 25 years. In all honesty the Banks and Mortgage Insurance companies in recognition of these neglected expenses should be reducing GDS to 28% and TDS to 35%, this would give people a fighting chance to afford these additional expenses.

I find it amazing that the number of children a family has does not effect servicing. If you have no children or 6, the application is exactly the same. I have 3 children ages 13,10 and 7 and my monthly food bill now tops $1000 per month and yet this expense does not appear on the application. Fortunately I no longer require daycare, but at one point I was paying in excess of $1000 per month for that as well. And yet that expense does not appear either. Families with young children are likely paying out $2000 per month in daycare, food, diapers, clothing that has not been factored in as an expense. Now let’s also look at a parent on a maternity leave who is now receiving usually less then half of the income for a full 12 months…..during that same period of added expense. Guess what, the bank’s will approve a mortgage based on the full income.

So my next addition to the subprime market is the young Canadian family.

The newest stated income program, one example of this is the Genworth “ALT A program”.

Which allows someone with a good credit rating who has been self employed for at least 2 years with conformation of no income taxes owing, can overstate their income to an amount that is justifiable to the bank for the job they are doing. This is a very gray and ambiguous area. If you happen to be a lawyer or a doctor, they will permit much higher stated incomes due to the fact that there are people in those professions making a lot of money. If you are operating a small business at home then their tolerance for six digit stated income is a little less likely. But never the less the clients are being approved based on income that they are not earning, nor have they ever earned that income, and at the same time they are amortizing these same mortgages based on a 40 year amortization, very low payment. In some cases client is more than doubling their actual income. Just because they have good credit, they are permitted to overestimate their income.

So this is my last addition to the subprime market, are self employed individuals who are significantly overstating their actual income to qualify for their current debt loan, plus the new mortgage payment.

Now there is one thing in common with all three of these groups, all three potentially have very good credit. Not your typical subprime mortgage customer. But guess what, over 85% of my applications since January of this year would fall in these categories. All of these clients could find themselves supplementing their monthly expenses with credit cards and or credit lines.

So, is their a subprime market in Canada? Yes and it is growing at a very rapid pace.

The Cosworth
05-11-2008, 11:48 PM
^^ and this is just to live. I would like to see the portolios of a lot of the people I see downtown during the week or with the big trucks and D&G, Armani, Etc. clothes in the mall on the weekends.

great read

TACO.VIDAL
05-12-2008, 06:20 AM
Garth Turner is a fear monger who is in the business of selling books.

Search his name. Read about his history as a paid hack for the fund industry.

Take what he says with a grain of salt.

SJW
05-12-2008, 07:02 AM
The SKY IS FALLING. The SKY IS FALLING.

Antonito
05-12-2008, 07:35 AM
One thing in there caught my eye, the part about having kids not affecting anything. I had always been told by people (although none of them bankers/mortgage brokers) that having a kid does completely mess up your ability to buy a house, since they (at least used to) count that as a major expense. A former boss of mine was telling me that back in 1997 he had gotten a pre-approval, put off buying a place, went back after they'd had their first kid, and was told that they were no longer approved even though their income had even increased a bit, because they'd had a kid.

Has this changed in the last decade, or was it always like that and I had simply been told wrong?

Xtrema
05-12-2008, 09:13 AM
STFU. idiots spending money they don't have is what keeping us employed.

Masked Bandit
05-12-2008, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by SJW
The SKY IS FALLING. The SKY IS FALLING.

Do you know where I can buy a good helmet? lol

How about just living within my means and not getting over-extended on credit in the first place?

Godfuader
05-12-2008, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

How about just living within my means and not getting over-extended on credit in the first place?
In theory that is the perfect way to do it, problem is that credit is too readily available. With prime rates, interest only payments, and ease of access to home equity (Lines of credit Mastercard, LOC Cheques, Cash advances) people are using credit well above their means. I have alot of clients that I do not trust with so much access, and these are people with 6 figure+ incomes. All it takes is one obstacle in their means of income...and the consequences will take them years to dig themselves out of...if at all.

Fivewayradio
05-12-2008, 12:51 PM
While I agree that there is a sub-prime 'market' in Canada, I'd hardly call it a 'crisis'.

ianmcc
05-12-2008, 12:56 PM
A crisis would be people walking away from houses they can't afford, or foreclosures flooding the market. Haven't seen that yet.

tentacles
05-12-2008, 01:03 PM
In California at the height of the bubble in 2007, 80%+ of home purchases were done with subprime mortgages. The average down payment for first time home buyers was 4%. The California Association of Realtors has 185,000 members, or 1 Realtor for every 200 people.

canuckcarguy
05-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Notice how this guy thinks these mortgages are bad, but makes a living selling them? Nice.

Banks allowing self-employed people to get a mortgage with stated income hardly qualifies as being "detrimental to the end user". Lots of these people end up owning a house, and have good credit, and make all their payments.

Fear-mongering.

483hp
05-15-2008, 11:26 PM
We don't need "subprime" to have a problem. There are plenty of people with good credit in the US undergoing foreclosure.

A lot of people who bought here in the last 2 yrs will be renewing their mortgages somewhere in the next 4 yrs or so. Are they paying down the principle faster than the houses are depreciating? Especially those people with the 40 yr mortgages?

Let's say when you go to renew, your house was assessed at 20% less. Sounds like trouble to me for the average guy.

Bimmer88
05-16-2008, 12:40 AM
I heard houses or appartments bought for like 5mil are now going for like 500K!

Damn I wish I had dough to buy a house in America... could be my winter home lol.

And I just got a email for a house in L.A. one storey going for $200K 7500 Sq Ft.

max_boost
05-18-2008, 08:03 PM
At least the article offers some more insight into this whole sub prime issue. If the banks did factor all those expenses, a lot of people will most likely not get approved. You are already seeing the banks starting to take action for fear of a upcoming sub prime crises. In the other thread members are talking about how banks aren't appraising homes anywhere near the asking prices of sellers and that new home buyers are going to either look for a different home or come up with the difference in cash.

CokerRat
05-19-2008, 08:56 AM
Strange blog.

I remember an investment company commercial probably 10 years ago that showed a couple talking about how housing prices on their street had dropped recently and the husband declares "that's it, we're moving! I won't stand by and watch our money go down the toilet!" Of course the announcer then comes on and says "...and you shouldn't invest like that, either."

That blog sounds like that commercial but for real. Here are people who "got into the market" a few years ago and are ready to sell their property and move or rent out of fear of the real estate market going down. Bizarre.

I feel for people who are just getting into the market now, I really do, and I wonder what it'll be like when my kids reach the age that they're ready to buy a house. But for anyone who's owned property for more then 3 or 4 years this is just noise. I really don't care what the overall Calgary market does. It's all paper gains til I sell it to downsize or relocate for retirement and that's decades away.

broken_legs
05-20-2008, 10:10 AM
From an artcle in the Globe N Mail today:

We were warned about exactly that possibility recently by TD Bank CEO Ed Clark. Mr. Clark was always highly respected but his prescience in protecting his bank from the turbulent subprime waters has elevated his status to something approaching iconic. To paraphrase the old E.F. Hutton ad, when Ed Clark speaks, people listen.

Mr. Clark’s words should have sent a chill down the spine of every TSX investor. He was quoted in The Globe and Mail as saying that commodity prices are too high and that TD is basing its loan standards in Western Canada on the assumption those prices will be “dramatically lower” at some point