PDA

View Full Version : 5 things you SHOULD and SHOULD NOT do when pulled over

HiSpec
05-13-2008, 12:52 AM
Here is an article I found on Car and Driver's website. I know most are common sense, but it was nevertheless quite interesting article about what cops think about when they pull you over.

Busted! What Should I Do Now? - Feature
We ask state troopers what they most want drivers to do during a traffic stop.

BY JOHN PHILLIPS (Car and Driver.com)
May 2008

Red and blue strobes explode in your mirrors. You pull to the side of the road and madly begin fishing through the glove box for your registration and insurance. Then you tear off the seatbelt so you can jam a hand down your pants to locate your wallet. Just trying to be courteous, right? You know, have all your documents ready when The Man strolls up to your window.

Turns out, most cops don¡¦t want you to do anything except rest your hands on top of the steering wheel until directed otherwise.

Didn¡¦t know that, did you? Neither did we.

We talked to seven state troopers from across the country¡XFlorida, New Jersey, Kentucky, Louisiana, Illinois, Oregon, and New Mexico¡Xand asked, ¡§What are the five best things a motorist can do when pulled over, and what are the five worst?¡¨ We wanted to know which procedures would render a traffic stop as painless as possible for both parties. There wasn¡¦t a perfect consensus, but the answers went pretty much like this:

FIVE BEST THINGS TO DO

1. Pull to the right at the first safe opportunity, then turn off your engine.

If it¡¦s not a safe place to stop, Oregon¡¦s Lt. Gregg Hastings wants you to activate your right-turn signal, then drive slowly to a safer place. ¡§A safer place, by the way, isn¡¦t a considerable distance down a dark side road, driveway, or alley,¡¨ he says. ¡§Keep in mind that traffic-related officer deaths jumped 16 percent in 2006,¡¨ Hastings adds.

2. Stay in your car with your seatbelt fastened. Roll down your window. Turn off the radio. Don¡¦t even think about touching your cell phone.

¡§When a motorist climbs out of his vehicle,¡¨ says New Jersey¡¦s Sgt. Stephen Jones, ¡§it may give the impression he¡¦s aggressive or has something to hide in the vehicle. I remember a man who briskly walked back to my car. I ordered him back, and he kept trying to give me his credentials at the rear of his car. The source of his consternation was two marijuana plants partly under a cloth in his back seat.¡¨

¡§I pulled over a guy in a Jeep CJ, and he exited his vehicle,¡¨ recalls New Mexico¡¦s Lt. Richard Anglada. ¡§That¡¦s when I realized his Jeep was rolling back toward my brand-new police car. Summoning all my strength, I had to hold his Jeep from rolling while I told him to set his brake¡Xanother reason we want people to stay in their cars.¡¨

¡§Roll down your window completely,¡¨ adds Sergeant Jones. ¡§Nothing¡¦s more frustrating than trying to speak through a slightly cracked window. If you only give me an inch-wide gap, you hinder my ability to determine your sobriety and are more likely to be invited to continue the conversation outside your car.¡¨

If you don¡¦t leave your seatbelt on, the officer may also assume you were driving unbelted, thus another ticket.

There are exceptions to the stay-in-your-car rule, however. ¡§We always ask the driver to exit the vehicle with his license, registration, and proof of insurance,¡¨ says Louisiana Trooper Johnnie Brown. What if you¡¦re not sure whether to stay put or climb out? ¡§Just sit still,¡¨ Brown says, ¡§and it won¡¦t be long before we¡¦ll tell you what we want.¡¨

3. Place your hands on top of the steering wheel and sit quietly. Ask passengers to remain silent.

¡§Whatever dangers we face, they will be channeled through the hands,¡¨ says Sergeant Jones. ¡§We¡¦d like to see the hands of every person in the car, frankly.¡¨

Although they don¡¦t insist on it, Lieutenant Hastings, as well as most other troopers, greatly prefer that you tell them where you¡¦re about to reach. ¡§It puts me at ease if you say, ¡¥I¡¦m going to reach for my wallet now,¡¦ ¡¨ he says, ¡§or, ¡¥I need to open the glove box, okay?¡¦ ¡¨

4. Retrieve license, registration, and proof of insurance only when asked to do so.

Illinois M.Sgt. Luis Gutierrez appreciates it if you turn on your four-way flashers and your interior lights, especially at night. And Lieutenant Hastings strongly advises that you know where your documents are before you¡¦re stopped. ¡§If you start fumbling around, it suggests the car may not be yours, or that you may not have a license, or that you¡¦re hoping the officer won¡¦t see what you¡¦ve hidden in the car,¡¨ he says. ¡§And when you find your documents, don¡¦t throw them at me.¡¨

¡§I find it funny when a driver is reluctant to open his glove box, usually because he doesn¡¦t want me to see what¡¦s in there,¡¨ says Lieutenant Anglada. ¡§He¡¦ll open it as slowly as possible to avoid anything falling out. From my vantage, I usually see the contraband before he does.¡¨

Adds Florida Trooper Larry Coggins, ¡§A traffic stop is not the time to clean out your car, sorting through 10 years¡¦ worth of registrations and insurance cards. Also, tell me immediately if you have a gun [legal or otherwise] anywhere on you or in the vehicle.¡¨

¡§Never reach under your seat,¡¨ adds Sergeant Jones, ¡§and never reach into the passenger area.¡¨

¡§I stopped a motorist for speeding, and he was a security guard,¡¨ remembers Trooper Brown. ¡§He exited the vehicle with his service revolver on his side. I made him place his hands on his head, then removed the weapon from his holster, removed the bullets, and placed the revolver separate from the bullets in the passenger compartment. Any weapon¡Xgun, knife, pepper spray, whatever¡Xtell me first.¡¨

HiSpec
05-13-2008, 12:52 AM
5. Answer questions succinctly. Avoid arguing, cursing, or interrupting when the officer speaks to you.

¡§Don¡¦t assert your disgust about traffic laws,¡¨ suggests Trooper Coggins. ¡§There¡¦s nothing we can do about the laws, and the side of the highway is no place to argue your case. Save it for court.¡¨

¡§Arguing with a trooper about speed,¡¨ says Sergeant Jones, ¡§is like spitting into the wind.¡¨

¡§Be civil,¡¨ advises Trooper Brown. ¡§I stopped a pizza-delivery vehicle for 60 mph in a 45 zone. The driver told me to hurry up, that he had a pizza to deliver in 30 minutes or less. I asked for registration and proof of insurance, and he didn¡¦t have either. I informed him I¡¦d have to tow his vehicle for not having the required paperwork. He began to curse at me. After a brief inspection of the vehicle, he received seven tickets.¡¨

FIVE WORST THINGS TO DO

1. Don¡¦t slam on your brakes when you see the flashing lights, and don¡¦t continue driving for an extended distance.

¡§At times, those actions are perceived as intentional,¡¨ says Lieutenant Hastings. ¡§They just place an officer on edge.¡¨

2. Do not jump out of the vehicle, do not make any sudden movements, and do not approach the officer.

¡§I pulled over a ¡¦60s-model Chevy truck one night,¡¨ recalls Lieutenant Anglada, ¡§and the driver gets out and is running toward my car with his hands wrapped in a blanket. I feared he was concealing a weapon. So I drew my side arm and ordered him to show me his hands. Turned out that his old truck didn¡¦t have a heater¡Xhe was freezing.¡¨

¡§Motorists should try to put themselves in my place,¡¨ suggests Trooper Coggins. ¡§Just because I stopped a guy for speeding, it still runs through my mind that he might be fleeing a crime scene, might be a wanted fugitive, impaired, a kidnapper with a body in the trunk, a carjacker who hasn¡¦t been called in yet¡XI just don¡¦t know.¡¨

3. You can complain, you can proffer wild explanations, but not for long.

Lieutenant Anglada claims way too often to have heard the excuse, ¡§I was speeding because I had to go to the bathroom.¡¨ He recalls a woman who used that justification, then exited her car. ¡§She asked if I¡¦d hold a blanket around her while she squatted to relieve herself,¡¨ Anglada recalls. ¡§I advised her to stroll off into the bushes while I waited. She still got the ticket. Over the years, officers develop an excellent ear for sincerity.¡¨

¡§We stress to our troopers not to issue ¡¥attitude tickets,¡¦ ¡¨ says Lieutenant Hastings. ¡§But we can take only so much complaining before we¡¦ve heard enough.¡¨

4. Do not lie. If you were speeding, admit it. If you honestly have no clue why you were stopped, wait for the officer to tell you.

¡§There¡¦s no substitute for frankness, but often we just see freakiness,¡¨ says Sergeant Jones. ¡§Don¡¦t respond with, ¡¥Why¡¦d you stop me? Don¡¦t you have criminals to catch?¡¦ That¡¦s a sure-fire way to receive justice rather than mercy. And think again if you believe you¡¦ve come up with an excuse for speeding that we haven¡¦t heard.¡¨

¡§If people are honest and admit they¡¦re wrong,¡¨ says Lieutenant Anglada, ¡§90 percent of the time I¡¦ll drop their speed or just give them a warning. If the person lies or accuses the officer of being wrong, 99 percent of the time the driver is going to get the ticket with no break.¡¨

5. Do not show your contempt by peeling away after the stop.

Says Lieutenant Hastings, ¡§Squealing your tires, tossing gravel at me, cutting off other motorists as you pull back on the highway¡Xthat¡¦ll get you another several minutes with the same officer who just stopped you.¡¨

Courtesy of Car and Driver.com May edition

G-ZUS
05-13-2008, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by HiSpec
[B]Keep in mind that traffic-related officer deaths jumped 16 percent in 2006 Hastings adds.

:thumbsup:

4lti7ude
05-13-2008, 06:32 AM
You forgot to add
- Hope The Police Officer is having a good day.

...No one wants a Officer having a bad day.

But Great read. :thumbsup:

spikerS
05-13-2008, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by HiSpec

Keep in mind that traffic-related officer deaths jumped 16 percent in 2006 Hastings adds.

Originally posted by G-ZUS

I seriously hope that you are not giving the thumbs up that officers were killed.....

Eleanor
05-13-2008, 07:28 AM
^ yeah seriously, that looks really bad.

Good read, a lot of common sense but some stuff in there that you wouldn't think of too :thumbsup:

laurier
05-13-2008, 07:34 AM
uj0mtxXEGE8

Masked Bandit
05-13-2008, 08:23 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's funny shit right there....I don't car who you are!

civic_stylez
05-13-2008, 10:08 AM
lol beat me too the chris rock post.... and thats a classless act for the thumbs up on the officer deaths..:thumbsdow

BigMass
05-13-2008, 10:28 AM
part 1
B67h-YuOQ5U

part 2
IWN6dq7K_7A

part 3
sMP1zrRv2sE&NR

climer
05-13-2008, 11:10 AM
BigMass,

Thanks for posting the links to those videos. Very informative but I wonder how different things would be in Canada.

95EG6P
05-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Great read

BigMass
05-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by climer
BigMass,

Thanks for posting the links to those videos. Very informative but I wonder how different things would be in Canada.

well theoretically there should be no difference in a "free country". However in practice, i'm sure there are plenty of difference since Canada doesn’t have a Constitution, a Bill of Rights or a Declaration of Independence, in the same vein as the US.

In all reality though, now days, the Constitution of the United States is nothing more than a piece of toilet paper for current administrations to wipe their asses on. So if you get pulled over, do everything the police ask because you can’t really fight against corrupt evidence, bought judges, corrupt police and legislated tyrannical policies like the Patriot Act.

Fcuk
05-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Great read, thank you :thumbsup:

Mitsu3000gt
05-13-2008, 02:02 PM
Lots of good tips but isn't that common sense for most people? I've only been pulled over a couple of times but if you take a moment put yourself in their shoes it isn't hard to figure out what the best things to do are.

Kloubek
05-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Great vids. I wonder if the rules are the same here in Canada. I got pulled over once, and the cop said he had a right to search the car. Seemed fishy at the time, but I had nothing to hide.

Moe Man
05-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Great vids. I wonder if the rules are the same here in Canada. I got pulled over once, and the cop said he had a right to search the car. Seemed fishy at the time, but I had nothing to hide.

fact is he doesnt....

GTS Jeff
05-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Terrible advice to admit guilt in hopes of mercy. It's a common good-cop-bad-cop routine to give you the impression that they'll go easy on you if just admit to speeding, but 99% of the time, once you've admitted to it, you've just nailed your coffin shut. The officer just writes down your admission of guilt in his notes and you lose any chance of fighting the ticket down in court.

If I ever get pulled over, I try to show buddy that I'm a law abiding citizen that doesn't make trouble, that I respect him and his role in society, (EDIT: and that I'm not your typical Beyond ricer screaming "fuck the police" like the NWA nigga below me) The article is right that the roadside isn't the place to argue your case, but it is a chance for you to show the officer that you're just a decent person who deserves a break sometimes.

The odd time though, the cop will happen to be one of those holier than thou assholes who think that slapping you with a speed-tax is somehow protecting the innocent from your criminal injustices on the road. In those cases, there isn't too much you can do other than biting your tongue to not get more tickets. :dunno:

funkedelic
05-13-2008, 04:06 PM
fuck the police, i don't really care what they prefer or don't prefer. Half the time i'm pulled over on "random checks" so i won't be extra courteous next time i'm pulled over, unless i know i actually did something that was worth pulling me over.

Toms-SC
05-13-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic
fuck the police, i don't really care what they prefer or don't prefer. Half the time i'm pulled over on "random checks" so i won't be extra courteous next time i'm pulled over, unless i know i actually did something that was worth pulling me over.

Shut up

Thanks

-Your brain

rmk
05-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

Shut up

Thanks

-Your brain

Gold :rofl:

dino_martini
05-13-2008, 04:58 PM
I have always wondered what the correct response to "do you know why I pulled you over?" is. Anyone have a correct response to that?

Kloubek
05-13-2008, 05:06 PM
For sure. Just say "no". Then he has to tell you why.

As soon as you say ANYTHING like "speeding?" ...even as a suggestion, you're hooped.

But to be perfectly honest, yeah - I got razzed by the cops when I was younger. But now, so far I've done well with them respecting me, since I respect them and act accordingly.

Fuck the police.... not an ideal attitude to try to get out of future screwups. Seriously dude - I can't blame you for the attitude entirely though. When I got hassled, I had a pretty bitter taste in my mouth too. Then I realized they don't hassle you a lot if you drive reasonably, and I've only got the occasional speeding ticket. Which were well deserved.

funkedelic
05-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
For sure. Just say "no". Then he has to tell you why.

As soon as you say ANYTHING like "speeding?" ...even as a suggestion, you're hooped.

But to be perfectly honest, yeah - I got razzed by the cops when I was younger. But now, so far I've done well with them respecting me, since I respect them and act accordingly.

Fuck the police.... not an ideal attitude to try to get out of future screwups. Seriously dude - I can't blame you for the attitude entirely though. When I got hassled, I had a pretty bitter taste in my mouth too. Then I realized they don't hassle you a lot if you drive reasonably, and I've only got the occasional speeding ticket. Which were well deserved.

Not an ideal attitude, no. However i have 2 speeding tickets since i have started driving at 17 years old. I have my odd times where i will speed if im making bad time, but i don't drive like a complete ass everywhere i go.

I don't want to play the racism card but i have been pulled over way too many times to call it bad luck or coincidences. When i do get pulled over, i'm respectful, i don't say anything more then what i am asked to do and i tell the truth about what they ask me. I never get a real response to WHY i was pulled over, but yet it seems to happen more then i think it should. I have had really bad experiences with asshole cops so you can imagine why i'm not exactly fond of most of them. I have no criminal record or an extensive list of tickets or history of bad driving habits.

:dunno:

403Gemini
05-13-2008, 05:35 PM

Shut up

Thanks

-Your brain

Stellar! haha

Toms-SC
05-13-2008, 08:04 PM

I don't want to play the racism card but i have been pulled over way too many times to call it bad luck or coincidences.

BMW status.

PGTze
05-13-2008, 10:58 PM

+

Originally posted by GTS Jeff

and that I'm not your typical Beyond ricer screaming "fuck the police" like the NWA nigga below me)

+

Shut up

Thanks

-Your brain

= and boom goes the dynamite :rofl:

962 kid
05-13-2008, 11:16 PM

Not an ideal attitude, no. However i have 2 speeding tickets since i have started driving at 17 years old. I have my odd times where i will speed if im making bad time, but i don't drive like a complete ass everywhere i go.

I don't want to play the racism card but i have been pulled over way too many times to call it bad luck or coincidences. When i do get pulled over, i'm respectful, i don't say anything more then what i am asked to do and i tell the truth about what they ask me. I never get a real response to WHY i was pulled over, but yet it seems to happen more then i think it should. I have had really bad experiences with asshole cops so you can imagine why i'm not exactly fond of most of them. I have no criminal record or an extensive list of tickets or history of bad driving habits.

:dunno:

I'm white, been driving for 3 years now (19 now) and I've not been pulled over once. I bet those racist cops just don't wanna talk to white people like me because we can't dance... damn pigs

Spoons
05-14-2008, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by 962 kid

I'm white, been driving for 3 years now (19 now) and I've not been pulled over once. I bet those racist cops just don't wanna talk to white people like me because we can't dance... damn pigs

lol,
on a serious note, I am white too, and I get pulled over lots as well. Face it, when your young, you get pulled over. Its stereotypical, but what can you do? I will send in the odd complaint, but I am not going to go on this internet tangent about it.

climer
05-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Interesting...

I do a lot of driving between my home town of Toronto and Calgary and there are times when I'll drive nonstop to cover that distance during a weekend.

I've been stopped at least 3 times in northern Ontario during the early morning (~3am) for no apparent reason. The OPP officer would simply ask me what I'm doing and ask me to pop my trunk for a quick search for drugs.

I'm assuming that the roads are used by drug traffickers since I've been stopped between Thunder Bay and Sault Ste Marie (which are very close to the USA) and although I've always complied, I couldn't help but think that they were overstepping their boundaries. I mean, is driving at 3am enough of a cause for suspicion to warrant a search?

I definitely wasn't in the mood to test my rights after driving 1500km but it's always pissed me off...

suen17
05-14-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by climer
Interesting...

I do a lot of driving between my home town of Toronto and Calgary and there are times when I'll drive nonstop to cover that distance during a weekend.

I've been stopped at least 3 times in northern Ontario during the early morning (~3am) for no apparent reason. The OPP officer would simply ask me what I'm doing and ask me to pop my trunk for a quick search for drugs.

I'm assuming that the roads are used by drug traffickers since I've been stopped between Thunder Bay and Sault Ste Marie (which are very close to the USA) and although I've always complied, I couldn't help but think that they were overstepping their boundaries. I mean, is driving at 3am enough of a cause for suspicion to warrant a search?

I definitely wasn't in the mood to test my rights after driving 1500km but it's always pissed me off...

If I'm not mistaken, they can't legally search your car unless they have a warrant, or unless things are "in plain sight," which they won't be if they're in your trunk. The only way they can search your trunk is if you give them permission. Then again, it doesn't look good if it looks like you're hiding something at 3 in the morning.

Spoons
05-14-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by suen17

If I'm not mistaken, they can't legally search your car unless they have a warrant, or unless things are "in plain sight," which they won't be if they're in your trunk. The only way they can search your trunk is if you give them permission. Then again, it doesn't look good if it looks like you're hiding something at 3 in the morning.

They can search your car (not personal belongings ie bags and such) if there is suspicion of illegal items. For example we got pulled over for speeding on the way to Sunshine and the car smelled like weed, so the cop searched. Most of the time they will ask you if you want to do it the hard way, or the easy way (call in for a warrant). It is usually better if you just let them search, cause I mean most the time they will catch you with very little (unless I mean you have a pound of coke or something, then I mean your fucked if you do, fucked if you don't, so mine as well try and fuck around the tree as much as possible).

Genjuro
05-14-2008, 01:02 PM

BMW status.

+1. It's what you drive.

"M3 Drivers have no friends" & "M3 drivers are "cocks"".
-Jeremy Clarkson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbQBtTsIWSY
~7.00 minutes in and 8.40.

Keros
05-14-2008, 01:07 PM
If you really do have nothing to hide, then there's not much point in making the officer happy and let him have a look around. Granted that you then risk him finding something you weren't aware of. It's a gamble either way.

This is a great thread with some great info, thanks for posting this up.

silviafreek89
05-14-2008, 01:29 PM
I believe it depends on what car you drive...Ripping around in an M3 -Very noticeable

I drove and entire winter and a couple of dry months over 2 seasons in a white Subaru station wagon...NEVER got pulled over even though I sped past a speed-trap and they didn't do anything, I was going at least 10-15k over the limit....a couple stop signs not stopped at, going through a 'late' yellow...no problems!

I drive two months in my Silvia....dirtiest look's from cops and a couple of well-deserved speeding tickets.

Just keep an eye on the road, wtv your speed..slow down when you see a cop and you'll b fine!

climer
05-14-2008, 01:50 PM
I was driving a 1990 Subaru Legacy when I was getting pulled over at 3am.

I was alone, the interior was empty except for a few cans of Red Bull, etc. I should also mention that I'm not exactly a young kid... quite the opposite. ;)

As far as I could tell, they were pulling me over because I was driving through their district at 2am.

Maybe I should throw a blow up doll in the back of my trunk the next time I pass by... just for the heck of it.

treg50
05-14-2008, 02:53 PM

Shut up

Thanks

-Your brain

rmk
05-14-2008, 02:56 PM

Preach it. White, 25, driving almost 9 years and been pulled over maybe 4 times. Did some real stupid crap back in the day and when a cop pulled behind me, he drove off... Haha, still to this day when a cop pulls behind me and clearly runs the plate after i've sped, they pull off. :burnout:

Moe Man
05-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by suen17

in plain sight, resonable or probable grounds, if evidence is being destroyed. it gets even more technical but those are the basics.

it doesnt take much to do a warrantless search.

Ske7ches
05-19-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Genjuro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbQBtTsIWSY
~7.00 minutes in and 8.40.

LOL @ the Cock-o-meter

sgouki
05-19-2008, 10:25 PM

Sorry but I'm in the same boat. It's like they need to meet a quota and I'm a prime target. I've had cops stick their head in to see if I have drugs and all too. I dunno about you but i believe there is a shortage on cops and a rise in crime...perhaps more street cops should move to crime prevention, not to say speeding is good but I think in a case like this, they should get their priorities straight.

googe
05-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Terrible advice to admit guilt in hopes of mercy. It's a common good-cop-bad-cop routine to give you the impression that they'll go easy on you if just admit to speeding, but 99% of the time, once you've admitted to it, you've just nailed your coffin shut. The officer just writes down your admission of guilt in his notes and you lose any chance of fighting the ticket down in court.

If I ever get pulled over, I try to show buddy that I'm a law abiding citizen that doesn't make trouble, that I respect him and his role in society, (EDIT: and that I'm not your typical Beyond ricer screaming "fuck the police" like the NWA nigga below me) The article is right that the roadside isn't the place to argue your case, but it is a chance for you to show the officer that you're just a decent person who deserves a break sometimes.

The odd time though, the cop will happen to be one of those holier than thou assholes who think that slapping you with a speed-tax is somehow protecting the innocent from your criminal injustices on the road. In those cases, there isn't too much you can do other than biting your tongue to not get more tickets. :dunno:

i dont agree with that. the only time ive ever got off tickets (one was speeding, about 25 - 30 km/h over, the other was stunting, i was "trying out" my new suspension at 3am) was by being honest. your chances for fighting it really dont have much to do with what you say when youre stopped, because its just hearsay that the cop claims he heard from you, and you'll probably deny that anyway. if you admit it in front of a judge or on tape though, yeah youd screw yourself.

honestly though i've come to learn that cops deal with so many bullshitters that its just a relief to hear honest people. regardless of your occupation, most people feel its an insult to their intelligence if you try to lie to them. half the time cops ask stuff that they're about to find the answer to anyway (maybe not so much for traffic stops) and people still try to lie as if the cops are completely retarded and have a 5 second memory.

one asked me if i had any idea how fast I was going. I was in washington with a canadian speedo so I said Im not totally sure, my speedo isnt in miles. he just said "take a guess. be honest, no one else ever is" so I took my best guess to admit I was blatantly speeding, and he was like "pretty close, I actually got you at <about 5mph or so more than what I said>. wait here." then he gave me my license back and said he'd let me go and to slow down.

in the stunting instance, i got pulled out of the car and had to sit in the back of the cruiser. i basically took a 90 degree turn late at night going fast enough to slide a little (without losing control) and could see there were no cars around except one a good 10 seconds away behind a red light...which turned out to be the cop. after seeing i was completely sober the cop asked me "why should I not give you a $400 stunting ticket right now?" i said, "honestly, you probably should, that was poor judgement on my part. I knew there was no traffic around and wanted to show my friend the car."

a friend of mine once told me about when he tried to outrun a cop because he got busted going 190, and ended up parking in an alley with the car off behind someone's house, but the cop found him when he slowly drove by because he left his parking light on. cop ripped into the alley and pulled him out, asked him what he was up to. he played dumb, said that was his girlfriends house and he was just heading in. the cop said something like, "I've been a cop for 10 years, I can tell when people are lying, and depending on how you answer the next question, you might have a very bad night. Were you trying to outrun me?" he told him yeah he was. "Does your girlfriend live here?" No, she doesn't. it ended with, "I'm letting you go, but I'm going to listen to the radio, and if I hear any description of your vehicle whatsoever tonight, you'll be going to jail this evening. Understand?"

also, Ive never gotten a break when my radar detector was visible. they never say anything about it, but Im sure they see it and aren't very inclined to give any breaks.

and if you get caught in a speed trap that is even remotely elaborate or by a cop hiding somewhere, you'll never get off. if he invested the time and effort into camping out to trap someone, he'll want his reward. they aren't like sport fishermen that throw back their catch :) maybe a reduction but thats it.

so the way I play it...before you get charged, be honest and admit everything. After you get charged, deny everything. either way, show respect, dont sound like you have a sense of entitlement, and show remorse.

if you know you're clean though, dont admit to anything or consent to anything. the good cop bad cop thing is really only when they dont have anything on you and are trying to trick you. a lot of them like to lie and say they can do all kinds of things that they cant.

climer
05-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by googe

a friend of mine once told me about when he tried to outrun a cop because he got busted going 190, and ended up parking in an alley with the car off behind someone's house, but the cop found him when he slowly drove by because he left his parking light on. cop ripped into the alley and pulled him out, asked him what he was up to. he played dumb, said that was his girlfriends house and he was just heading in. the cop said something like, &quot;I've been a cop for 10 years, I can tell when people are lying, and depending on how you answer the next question, you might have a very bad night. Were you trying to outrun me?&quot; he told him yeah he was. &quot;Does your girlfriend live here?&quot; No, she doesn't. it ended with, &quot;I'm letting you go, but I'm going to listen to the radio, and if I hear any description of your vehicle whatsoever tonight, you'll be going to jail this evening. Understand?&quot;

So let me get this straight. Your friend was caught doing nearly double the limit (at least), fails to stop, tries to hide it out and he was let go with a warning.

Did you leave out the part where the policeman was his father?

googe
05-20-2008, 11:00 PM
yeah, it was on deerfoot. I wasnt there, so he could have just been a fantastic story teller and a pathological liar, but I believed it. who knows :D

B20EF
05-21-2008, 12:01 AM
This is when living downtown is good. They don't seem to pull you over for random useless stuff, they actually do have real crime to deal with, it's out in the suburbs where they act like complete douches.

ZorroAMG
05-21-2008, 03:46 AM
I was coming back from edmonton late on a tuesday night in the 997 a couple of years ago, doing 125 the whole way until one stretch of clear road where I blasted it up to 240 then immediately slowed down...just for fun, no other cars anywhere in sight, no passengers....I must have rolled past a hiding cruiser and then he lights it up, hits the wailer...I pull over:

Officer: Do you know how fast you were going?

Me: Yeah i was doing soooo well from Edmonton to 5 min ago @ 125 but...haha, what number did you get?

Officer: 190.

Me: Pretty close, Sir.

He chuckles...then:

Officer: What's going to happen here is I am going to tow your car, suspend your license for 1 (or 3 did he say?) month and it's a $2500 fine.....

Me: Ok, I deserve that

Officer: NORMALLY. Tonight you will get a 160 in a 110 zone ticket ($371), you keep your license and your car and you slow down. Any questions?

Me: Yeah, one actually....why do they make these cars so fast?

Officer: Hahaha, yeah it's like buying a thoroughbred horse and asking him to walk hey?

Me: LOL

Officer: Slow down, Mario.

Me: Yes sir.

I drive off...at 125 the rest of the way :( Phew!

Cool cops FTW! Funkedelic type childish attitude FTL.

shakalaka
05-21-2008, 04:39 AM
I have heard people avoid getting tickets with funniest things and if they are nice towards the cops, sometimes they get lucky.

I heard about this one instance where the cop pulls over a speeding driver and the cop says, 'I have been waiting for you the whole day.' The driver replies, 'Well, I got here as fast as I could.' The cop has a laugh about it and lets the driver go.

That being said, there might be some 'nice' cops that let people go away with warnings, but one can not blame them for doing their job and making the streets safer for US!

ExtraSlow
05-21-2008, 09:21 AM
Two BMW drivers complaining about cops targeting them. Weird.
Yet another reason to drive a modest car at a reasonable speed.