PDA

View Full Version : weird happenings on the roads

kaishen
05-13-2008, 11:18 AM
anyone has any weird stories to tell during their drive that would be interesting to share?

sr20s14zenki
05-13-2008, 11:23 AM
This is Calgary.....youre going to hear a bunch.

posted speed limit - 100km/hr

i do 110 usually, i get passed by ppl doing 140+ regularly.

nobody pays attention to construction zones, ive actually had people come up beside me and give me the :dunno: look, after just passing BIG FUCKING SIGNS WITH YELLOW FLAGS THAT SAY 80KM/HR, and a sign that says SPEED FINES DOUBLE

morons
:thumbsdow

spikerS
05-13-2008, 11:27 AM
i see this thread getting closed fairly quick.....

danny.ta
05-13-2008, 11:28 AM
I was driving behind a semi-truck a few years ago and it's wheel got loose. The wheel flew off and rolled with traffic for a good block and then went over a ramp and hit a billboard.

Weirdest thing.

Ekliptix
05-13-2008, 11:28 AM
I saw a rake fly out of a landscape truck yesterday, on 22X. I wrote about it in my diary later.

Oldskool
05-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Once, getting onto glenmore east from deerfoot south, a big truck infront of my ran over a shovel on the road, the shovel flew into the air spinning, I thought it was cool untill the shovel almost harpooned my car

hampstor
05-13-2008, 11:35 AM
- Deerfoot is not deerfoot unless someone loses a major appliance in the middle of the road once a week. How many of you have driven down deerfoot and had to swerve around a stove or a fridge before too? :rofl:
- You're not a true Calgarian until you've dragged a 25-50ft extension cord behind your car in the winter.

Brutucus
05-13-2008, 11:37 AM
I saw a girl with a broken arm driving while doing her make-up and talking on her cell....

rmk
05-13-2008, 11:38 AM
Everyday I get stuck behind jackasses in the lefthand lane.

sr20s14zenki
05-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Brutucus
I saw a girl with a broken arm driving while doing her make-up and talking on her cell....
Thats crazy man i saw the same one i think, silver compact car? cant remember what brand.....i think she was trying to light a smoke while talking with her cell wedged between her shoulder and ear.....idiot

403Gemini
05-13-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
- Deerfoot is not deerfoot unless someone loses 1 major appliance in the middle of the road once a week. How many of you have driven down deerfoot and had to swerve around a stove or a fridge before too? :rofl:
- You're not a true Calgarian until you've dragged a 25-50ft extension cord behind your car in the winter.

ahahaha

+1 and +1

I've had to avoid a queen sized matress that fell of the truck 2 vehicles ahead of me... that was fun.

And yeah, i dragged the cord behind my saturn a number of times, look in the rear view mirror before i get off my block "what is that orange cord looking thi... oh shit"

Hakkola
05-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Back in October I was driving southbound on Crowchild in the far left lane, there was a Semi in front of me and it kicked up a rock, it was probably a good 6X4 inches, it was huge! I saw it coming for what seemed liked longer than a second, but I had nowhere to go. It hit my windshield near the bottom passenger side corner while I was moving at 80km/h, and it didn't even leave a scratch!

gretz
05-13-2008, 11:43 AM
I saw a guy and his girlfriend, i guess, cuddling while driving @130 - head on eachothers shoulders - give me a f'n break. I pulled up beside them with my buddies head on my shoulder pretending to do the same thing. Embarassed the couple stopped. At least road head - save the cuddling for the couch

hampstor
05-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by gretz
I pulled up beside them with my buddies head on my shoulder pretending to do the same thing.

That sounds a bit floofy... are you sure they just weren't freaked out by 2 guys cuddling going 130? :rofl:

gretz
ive also seen a truck towing a trailer, towing a boat - are you following? He changed his mind on taking the Okotoks exit off deerfoot - :nut: I went by probably 10 minutes after it happened, truck was jack-knifed and the boat was facing the opposite direction on the other side of the road - this was last summer - someone had to see it

403Gemini
Originally posted by gretz
I saw a guy and his girlfriend, i guess, cuddling while driving @130 - head on eachothers shoulders - give me a f'n break. I pulled up beside them with my buddies head on my shoulder pretending to do the same thing. Embarassed the couple stopped. At least road head - save the cuddling for the couch

You and your "buddy" are homos arent you? ;)

Jay911
05-13-2008, 11:47 AM
- In the early 90s it was very common to encounter some tool driving the wrong way down 22X in the divided portion between Macleod and the Turner Valley turnoff. I think my father had that happen to him 3 times. Cresting a hill in the left lane of a divided highway and seeing headlights coming at you is NOT fun.

- Even truckers apparently can't figure out something as complicated as a freeway off-ramp. There is at least one semi a month flipped over at the Hwy 1 x Hwy 22 intersection on either the EB->SB or EB->NB ramps. In fact there's one there right now. (The fire department I work for is out there cleaning up the mess.)

- People do not know how to use a roundabout/traffic circle. Period.

gretz
05-13-2008, 11:47 AM

That sounds a bit floofy... are you sure they just weren't freaked out by 2 guys cuddling going 130? :rofl:

i knew someone would post this - nice

rmk
05-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Haha... The one about the girlfriend/boyfriend got me thinking. Around 2 years ago I was with my brother going northbound on Macleod Tr. by Toms House of Pizza. There was a car next to us with two chicks staring into eachothers eyes and the driver playing with the passengers hair. The driver was going to go in for a kiss, but the passenger noticed me and my bro looking over and smiling. They were pretty fucking embarassed and wouldn't do anything even with us egging them on... LOL

403Gemini
05-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by rmk
Haha... The one about the girlfriend/boyfriend got me thinking. Around 2 years ago I was with my brother going northbound on Macleod Tr. by Toms House of Pizza. There was a car next to us with two chicks staring into eachothers eyes and the driver playing with the passengers hair. The driver was going to go in for a kiss, but the passenger noticed me and my bro looking over and smiling. They were pretty fucking embarassed and wouldn't do anything even with us egging them on... LOL

"Use your peripherals"

eb0i
05-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Going on Bow Bottom Trail onto deerfoot, these kids fly pass me at about 150km/h and as they are doing so they have the windows rolled down and stick their heads out and yell at me while they pass me. The road dips down to get to deerfoot and turns left. Driver loses control, does a 720, car hops up over the curb and they stop within an inch of the huge lamp post. Passengers who were nearly thrown out of the car looked like they crapped their pants as I drove passed them. :rofl:

Destinova403
05-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by sr20s14zenki

nobody pays attention to construction zones, ive actually had people come up beside me and give me the :dunno: look, after just passing BIG FUCKING SIGNS WITH YELLOW FLAGS THAT SAY 80KM/HR, and a sign that says SPEED FINES DOUBLE

morons
:thumbsdow

:werd: :werd: that section on deerfoot now... south of 17th... i sometimes think im the only person who slows down to the speed limit.

Euro_Trash
05-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by rmk

:werd:
You would think that after working all day and taking the C-train would make me grumpy, but I am fine until I am driving home and have to drive south of the city. Seriously, everyone who lives in Heritage Point sits in the left lane from Shawnessy until the turn off.

kaishen
05-13-2008, 12:00 PM
something happened during my one month stay in calgary. As prob some might know, i'm from Singapore and i visited calgary for a month in 2006. So my aunt's family and 3 other family were going for camping at Nanaimo, vancouver island. So the plan was to hit the harbour , queue up and sleep in the car, so that we can board the first ship in the morning. Through the journey, we stopped for a couple of imes during the day and evening for toilet breaks for the kids and for some rest. The next meetup point was at HOPE( prob u guys can locate it on the map) to fill up some gas as gas is running out in the convoy of 4 cars. We had walkie talkies on each car so that it easier for us to communicate.

okie, my uncle's car was the last car of the convoy, we spotted HOPE and did an exit. That was at around 11pm. We were suppose to meet at the macdonalds so we did what was discussed and waited there but they were not to be seen. Basically the whole town was dead quiet and the macdonalds was closed. We then realised that prob the other 3 cars did not notice the signages and missed the small town. they were too far away to be located by walkie talkies.

We then drove into the gas station which was pretty huge and prob the only lit up place in the entire stretch of road of that quiet town. The place was well crowded with people.
Beyonders that have been there would have know that its a slightly larger than usual gas station. However at 11pm, the place was amazingly crowded! vehicles was at every kiosk, my uncle's car had to queue. there were people queuing up to pay at the counter and looking ard at the store. Bikers sitting outside, taking a smoke and drinking coffee. I went into th washroom to wet a face towel for my uncle and it was equally crowded. With people at the urinal and cubicles and in front of the mirror.

While my aunt was in the car, she managed to contact the other 3 cars and we were to link up with them somewhere on some road. We left the gas station which was basically along a stretch of straight quiet road and went one direction.

After driving to the end within 2-3 mins, we realised that it might be a better idea to check with the gas station guy so that we wont make a blunder since there are 2 directions. Well, when we reached the gas station, there were no one else at the gas station except the cashier.

logically, the vehicles would have gone either way and we would have noticed, given the volume of vehicles there are at the gas station and how straight and quiet the road is. Either direction, we would have realised.

everyone in the car was puzzled and we never got to ask. This left us dumbfounded for quite a while.

spooky....

LadyLuck
05-13-2008, 12:06 PM
i was really sick last month...worst flu in years. Had to work a show since no one else was available, managed to pull thru and got off work at 2am. was driving on deerfoot, no one was around. I was going about 80 and had the most violent sneeze that i swerved across all 3 lanes on deerfoot. luckily no one was around...and thank god i didnt end up in the ditch. Next time im not gonna be holding on to the steering so tight :rolleyes:

Ekliptix
05-13-2008, 12:18 PM
A few years ago I was stopped at a light. There was a white cadillac STS in front or me, a work truck with paint cans in the back beside the caddy, and a big cement truck beside me.

As the light went green, the work truck beside the caddy took off through the intersection and a yellow can of spray paint fell off the truck and landed in the intersection.

As the cement truck beside me went through the intersection, it ran over the spray paint can and it exploded all over the white caddy beside it.

I couldn't see from behind, but I'm sure there were orange paint dots all over the side of the caddy.

Kloubek
05-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Well, this wasn't in Calgary but it was when I lived back in BC. I was about 22 or so. Travelling from Kamloops to Kelowna. It has recently rained, but the roads had more or less dried up. I was driving my typical 120 in a 100 zone.

Anyway, I hit a spot on the road where there was a bit of a dip, and all the runoff from the rain was still going strong across the road. Didn't have much time to slow down. As soon as I hit it, the car lifted off the road, and started spinning.

I should add that I was driving my 2nd gen RX7, which are not exactly renowned for their crash ratings. Additionally, I had a large custom speaker box in the back. Unstrapped and unbolted. On my left side was a concrete barrier to keep from hitting oncoming traffic. On the other side was a 4ft deep X4ft wide ditch. On the other side of that ditch was a sheer rock face.

This was some time ago, but I remember it clearly. I counted 6 360 degree turns. Every time we spun around the right edge of the road was getting closer and closer. I was doing my best to keep us on course, but we were spinning so fast it was impossible for a fairly inexperienced driver. Plus, I didn't want to overcompensate and make things even worse.

By the 4th or 5th rotation, we finally touched the edge of the road, with the rock face seemingly right next to us. I'll tell you this - seeing a rock face that close in an out of control car is a scary sight. We both thought we were dead, and expected the speaker box to basically cut us in half.

But what neither of us ever noticed before was that on this particular road (and possibly many others), there is a tiny little lip on the edge. It was only about an inch high from what I could see afterward. But that one inch was enough to bounce off of, and send the car in the other direction.

After another 360 spin, I was finally able to kick the rear end back into line and we continued along - as if nothing ever happened. Ever after all the spinning, I looked down and saw that we were now going almost 100k. Only 20-25k lost during the spinning.

Gents - I am lucky to be alive. Had we hit that rock face (which was *almost* a given under the circumstances), I'm quite positive neither myself nor my friend would be alive today.

rice_balls
05-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Haven't seen this but i heard it on the radio.... Someone got pulled over on deerfoot i think and he was playing his guitar while he was driving...:dunno:

GQBalla
05-13-2008, 12:43 PM
LOL ^^^ thats my weirdest story

this guy was driving on 17th in a echo playinig his guitar

nikka
05-13-2008, 01:03 PM
going down deerfoot towards the airport a lady in a tacoma was reading an effing book placed on her steering wheel not even looking at the road. i stayed beside her for a minute looking to see if she would notice but she didnt take her eyes off the book, not to mention she was doing 120 swerving around. as soon as i saw she wasnt looking ta the road ta all i downshifted and sped up to gte ahead of her and the accident waiting to happen :banghead:

Kloubek
05-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Oh hey - I got another one. Also while I lived in Kamloops.

I was driving a bunch of my friends back from the bar in my 91 z28. While on a dark stretch of road, someone suddenly appears in my rear view, high beaming me over and over.

I figured - screw this. I think I probably also felt the need to impress my friends at that age. So I punched it.

I left the guy in my dust, and continued up the road at about double the speed limit. Not more than 45 seconds later, I get to the top of the hill where the is the first intersection. From both directions, cruisers drove up and blocked off the road. WTF?!!

I stopped the car, and they ordered me out, with guns drawn. Then they started ordering my friends out as well. The vehicle that was high beaming me finally gets to the scene, and I can see it's a black Suburban. It has dogs barking in the back. As it turns out, it's a k9 unit - go figure. He was strobing me to pull over, and I totally outran him. No wonder there were more cops brought to the scene. I had no idea K9 units would or could pull people over, but I guess they are police as well....

The cop talking to me lists off the things they want to charge me with - including police evasion, etc. All my friends and myself insisted that I was driving to get away from the flashing high beams, and that the cop didn't have his red and blues on. He denied it, but with everyone in my car backing me up they decided to drop the extra charges. I ended up getting a speeding ticket, and sent on my way.

BigMass
05-13-2008, 01:08 PM
this one time i was doing 200 on deerfoot and got held up by a bunch of slow drivers. So I kept honking my horn and pointing to the right so they would get out of the “fast lane” since obviously they weren’t going fast at all. Man I tell ya, that was frustrating.

bobby_lu
05-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by nikka
going down deerfoot towards the airport a lady in a tacoma was reading an effing book placed on her steering wheel not even looking at the road. i stayed beside her for a minute looking to see if she would notice but she didnt take her eyes off the book, not to mention she was doing 120 swerving around. as soon as i saw she wasnt looking ta the road ta all i downshifted and sped up to gte ahead of her and the accident waiting to happen :banghead:

lol, you should honk at these people....once youre at a safe distance of course...because they will probably freak out.

Originally posted by rice_balls
Haven't seen this but i heard it on the radio.... Someone got pulled over on deerfoot i think and he was playing his guitar while he was driving...:dunno:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ekguy
05-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Driving to New Brunswick from here and there was a huge rock on the side of the road by a lake in Ontario...Started moving so i pulled over and sure as hell there was a huge turtle in the road haha. Thought it was weird. Didn't see a deer, moose, coyote or anything the whole drive there but I somehow manage to see a turtle haha.

Mr_ET
05-13-2008, 01:37 PM
BigMass were you driving a superior car like a BMW?

adam c
05-13-2008, 01:39 PM
driving on the Yellowhead highway to my gf's house a couple weeks ago.. there was a car in front of me swerving back and forth and it had Manitoba plates. for those who don't know, this highway goes from winnipeg all the way through edmonton. anyways, i pulled beside the car, which contained 2 kids, a man and his wife I am assuming.. the fucking guy was reading a newspaper that he had strewn over his steering wheel and partially into his window viewing area. his wife reading a book..

BigMass
05-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
BigMass were you driving a superior car like a BMW?

BMW 3 series how did you guess?

Supa Dexta
05-13-2008, 01:54 PM
When I first moved to calgary, I was downtown trying to find a pizza place, and kept coming to one ways and do not enter signs for the parking lot I needed to get into. So the cop behind me pulls me over and tells me "I pulled you over because you look like you don't know where you're going"..

Is that right? Maybe that Nova Scotia plate on the back has something to do with that. He knew to look for our inspection sticker on the windsheild. But he never asked me for proof of insurace...

:dunno:

lumss
05-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by rmk
TRUE THAT. there is nothing that pisses me off more haha.

Eleanor
05-13-2008, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by adam c
driving on the Yellowhead highway to my gf's house a couple weeks ago.. there was a car in front of me swerving back and forth and it had Manitoba plates. for those who don't know, this highway goes from winnipeg all the way through edmonton. anyways, i pulled beside the car, which contained 2 kids, a man and his wife I am assuming.. the fucking guy was reading a newspaper that he had strewn over his steering wheel and partially into his window viewing area. his wife reading a book..

That's cause that's how you drive on a highway in the praries :rofl:

kerry
05-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Once I was driving and I saw rage2. He gave me the "claw" when I waved... it was badass.

Grogador
05-13-2008, 03:46 PM
Bored at work, so... not very exciting but you asked.

Porsche Carrera GT spun (he left some mean skidmarks across the lanes), suspension collapsed, resting in the ditch... this was last summer or summer before, on Glenmore Tr. aka Hwy 8 heading out of town, at the start of the left sweeper that goes over the bridge. Painful :(

Cop going the opposite direction on Deerfoot before a turnoff (we're seperated by concrete), sees me flying along and turns on his lights, slows to 80ish and opens his door, has one foot out the door and is waving his arms at me... I "wave" back, take the next turnoff...

Merge onto Deerfoot and get up to speed, notice someone coming up very fast behind me, drop in behind some SUV in the right lane going 112... cop rips up behind, slams on his brakes and stays less than a foot off my bumper (so temping) then follows for a good while... he takes an offramp and gives me the stinkeye, I salute and resume.

Living in a small/resort town, they brought in a lot of extra cops for the long weekends to keep the drunk spoiled children off the roads. Fun listening to many people getting arrested for expired tags and outstanding warrants, and the newbie cops weren't very careful on the radio, blabbing about where the roadblocks were. So we're having a BBQ at my buddy's house (I had a Guiness with my steak earlier, that's all), heard on the scanner there was a roadblock on my way home down this really sweet twisty two-laner. So I'm cruising home, watching for deer and drunkards, tone it down a gear for the turn before the roadblock and pulled up to a couple cruisers and a Civic full of drunk kids, driver was crying because he was getting a DUI... "Evening Officer", told him about my evening, bullshitted a bit about the long weekend excitement, carried on.

Driving a panelvan down McLoed Tr S., there's a crotchrocket many cars behind (could kinda hear him racing around), anyways I pull to the head of the pack from the stop lights, signal left, check mirror and start changing from center for my left turn when I hear crotchboi revving hard, then screeching tires.... whoops... good thing you can stop quick. I can't really shouldercheck in that van, had the convex mirrors but you're too small to see from that far away, and when you can go 40-100kph in like 1.2sec...

Ok last one; four-way stop, we're full so the minivan on my right goes, then ahead goes, then left goes, then I start going but douchenozzle in his pickup on his cellphone pulls out from my right so I take my foot off the gas but keep rolling... he completes his turn, stops beside me and starts going all red-neck road-homo on me, I smile and go "everybody gets a turn" (doubt he got that one), he had a mouthful of spit, swallowed it and goes "how's that taste?" I'm like wtf ok "how about you get off your phone and pay attention to where you're going?" then he insults my car (because his Chevy 2500 is so sexy) and drives off.

Yeah I know those stories aren't too "exciting" but stupid shit, people cutting off, racing, road rage whatever is daily (for them, I'm pretty mellow). Especially driving a work van for 3yrs. Congrats if you actually read all of this, you probably do even less work at work than me. 3,261 chars out of 90,000 max.

suen17
05-13-2008, 04:08 PM
I was going North on MacLeod at around 3 in the morning. Came up over the hill after Heritage and encountered a car coming straight at me. About 3 other cars and I had to change lanes quickly to avoid this guys, and I'm sure everyone was wondering what this guy was smoking to have been going the wrong way on a three lane divided road. Turns out, by chinook, there was a checkstop.

Douchebag has the balls to drive drunk into oncoming traffic. Fantastic. :guns:

I saw a bin truck on Country Hills Blvd up by the dump with it's load strapped in with cardboard and bungee cords. Funniest shit ever.

http://photos-a.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v216/93/35/505506153/n505506153_1076488_6261.jpg
:nut:

Grogador
05-13-2008, 04:18 PM
Saw some older Asian dude in a minivan with his wife going the wrong way onto Memorial up the Barlow northbound offramp... I stopped, waved, yelled, turned on yellow emergency flasher on the roof, he kept going...

rice_balls
05-13-2008, 05:09 PM
^^ Seen alot of idiots going the wrong way down a one way in down town... Yelled at one didn't hear me either and kept on going, no idea if there was any on coming traffic. Oh well

Spoons
05-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Well just the other day I saw something really odd.

I saw a kid driving in a Skyline, doing the speed limit! No word of a lie guys, I shit myself right there! Anyone know a good detailer?

BlackFyre
05-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Spoons
Well just the other day I saw something really odd.

I saw a kid driving in a Skyline, doing the speed limit! No word of a lie guys, I shit myself right there! Anyone know a good detailer?

That is pretty strange. The other day I saw a blue cavalier with a giant snow plow front end on it, some dorky looking kid driving it too.

To contribute seriously though:

- I was Driving down Deerfoot, and pulled up next to an older white Grand Am, and when I happened to glance at the driver, this old woman was passed out cold driving, I honked like 10 times and finally she came to, smiled at me, and sped off.

- Newer Toyota Corolla driving down deerfoot with FOUR, yes FOUR, miniature spare tires on (the car was like inches off the ground), the older chinese lady driving the car looked TERRIFIED.

- Driving to south Calgary, I pulled up beside a van and noticed that one of the kids not only wasn't wearing a seatbelt, or in a booster seat, he was urinating out of the side window.

- Finally, in my opinion the worst of them all, I was walking out of a 7-11 and watched a guy driving away with his dog still leashed to the back hitch. I ran up beside and smashed on the side of the car a couple times until he noticed, screamed at me, and after I explained that his fucking dog was still attached to the fucking car, he apologized and thanked me.

old&slow
05-13-2008, 07:18 PM
I was going down the #2 a few years ago and was overtaking a car that was driving in the left lane. As I got next to him I looked over to see the passenger slumped against the window sound asleep...what was really weird was the driver was slumped toward the passenger also sound asleep...they were like this long enuf that I was able to get my wifes attention and she looked over and seen this amazing sight...I mean they were completely out...then all of a sudden boom "awake"...he looked like he saw a ghost when he came to and realized he was asleep and then he spots us staring over at him...it's funny now but at the time I wasn't laughing...

Spoons
05-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by BlackFyre

That is pretty strange. The other day I saw a blue cavalier with a giant snow plow front end on it, some dorky looking kid driving it too.

Even stranger, I saw this douche driving a GTO and... fuck I've got nothing.

Dj_Stylz
05-13-2008, 07:41 PM
I cant make it over speedbumps.

inline6turbo
05-13-2008, 07:45 PM
1. One of my first times driving the deerfoot with my father back in my younger days, already terrified boogying at that speed in rush hour, suddenly mass panic urupts. In the fast lane car after car is nose diving from two footed braking, cars further back swerving off into the shoulder and ditch to avoid rear ending mentioned nose divers. Traffic comes to a dead stop across all 3 lanes (just south of the Calf Robe Bridge). By some act of God, not a single accident, and I was able to swallow my heart back into my chest. I watch in disbelief as a family of no less then 8 little baby ducks and their mother casually cross from the far left shoulder, to the far right shoulder, and continue on their way towards the river. Unbelievable.

2. Car in front of me on the deerfoot loses out of their trunk what appeared to be a 4x4ft plank of that really thin type of wood... word has escaped me... not drywall or cardboard... but something you'd make an old cupboard out of... anyways, wood hits the ground on end and launches into the air, narrowly missing my car, and harpoons the tailgater behind me square in the front grill. Wedges in place. Victim car and assailant car in front, casually continue driving with said wood in place for a few hundred meters until he gracefully slides over into the far right.

So many more, but those are the pretty major ones that aren't just "omg this douchebag in a bimmer cut me off while trying to exit/merge unto deerfoot"

*EDIT*
Forgot one

3. Driving once again, down deerfoot, drove beside a cattle carrier to slaughter thing, when all of a sudden it seems like it was raining on the windshield, put the wipers on, looked at the sky, nope, no clouds, yup was a cow peeing out the side, spraying all over my car.

sxtasy
05-13-2008, 07:49 PM
just today i drove past a motorcycle suv crash on Richmond road just west of crowchild, ambulance just pullling up, limp unconscience body laying on the median...creepy

rinny
05-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Now that its summer time, people need to remember to TURN THEIR TRAILER BRAKES OFF so that their usual brake lights work.

Last summer I encountered about 10 vehicles, all newer trucks/SUV's with hitches and trailer light plug-ins, whose brake lights did not work, with the exception of the third brake light above the hatch.

If I had the chance I would have let them know about their problem, but I cant roll down my window and yell while driving on Crowchild.

badatusrnames
05-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by inline6turbo
1. One of my first times driving the deerfoot with my father back in my younger days, already terrified boogying at that speed in rush hour, suddenly mass panic urupts. In the fast lane car after car is nose diving from two footed braking, cars further back swerving off into the shoulder and ditch to avoid rear ending mentioned nose divers. Traffic comes to a dead stop across all 3 lanes (just south of the Calf Robe Bridge). By some act of God, not a single accident, and I was able to swallow my heart back into my chest. I watch in disbelief as a family of no less then 8 little baby ducks and their mother casually cross from the far left shoulder, to the far right shoulder, and continue on their way towards the river. Unbelievable.

The animal lover PETA types will probably want to crucify me, but I don't believe that the lives of 8 baby ducks are worth the potential death or injury of a person in a high speed crash.

You just gotta keep going and hope you pass over them. But coming to a dead stop? It's not worth getting rear ended by a car going 100-140 km/h to me...

Canmorite
05-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Asian women driving.

mlafreni
05-13-2008, 09:25 PM
was on the bus once when all of a sudden I see a car in the intersection with dust and smoke clouds and a fricking wheel kicks up in the air and starts bouncing across the intersection just feet away from taking out a pedestrian...

driving in Calgary coming home from a house boating vacation late at night, I am just speeding along outside of the city about 130 on the hiway I am approaching a car and my friend says to me "you're going to pass a cop??" -- yah I am that dense... I didnt realize, but low and behold I am approaching a marked car and my first instinct is to slow down (I have never got a speeding ticket in my life and wasnt about to start). so I hit the brakes and slowly slow my speed... 120... 110... 100.... 90...the cop is also slowing down infront of me. My first thought is that as long as he doesnt get behind me, he cant pull me over!! so I just keep slowing and slowing as does he, until finally at about 60 the cop just takes off :nut: hah guess it wasn't worth the hassel to bother trying to pull me over... to this day I still dont have any tickets :thumbsup:

rice_balls
05-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by inline6turbo

3. Driving once again, down deerfoot, drove beside a cattle carrier to slaughter thing, when all of a sudden it seems like it was raining on the windshield, put the wipers on, looked at the sky, nope, no clouds, yup was a cow peeing out the side, spraying all over my car.

^^ HAHAHAHA happened to me once too!! I was to the left of one of those and than i just see this cow just hosing it out on my side. It was like a waterfall

theken
05-13-2008, 09:48 PM
how about a guy (no need to name race) missing the 16th ave turnoff on DEERFOOT slamming on his brakes and BACKING UP IN THE FUCKING MIDDLE LANE!! i was in my lafarge cement truck 2 other lafarge guys in front of me, I see one go almost into the ditch the other swerve across 2 lanes, i hammer on my brakes. Yep Backing up on deerfoot.

I have so many as i drive a truck and drive in the city all day, but i feel embarrassed to have such shitty drivers in this city that i don't want to get into them

Jayson
05-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Last week i was driving down this freeway here in Seoul, Korea (in korea visiting) and it was about 10:00pm and for some reason traffic was crawling along at about 10 kph in a 80 zone. As i'm drving along, i look over at this guy, and he has his daughter sitting on his lap.... Normally people cruise at 100-120 on this road, and driving in Korea isn't the safest either.. there are some pretty crazy ass drivers out here... my wife and i are in utter disbelief, his daughter couldn't be more than 4 years old from the looks of it either... anyways as we're crawling along, he pulls out a cig and starts puffing away with his daughter still sitting on his lap... he finally looked over at me and i gave him a wtf look, so he closed his window... fucken idiot...

culebra
05-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Jayson
Last week i was driving down this freeway here in Seoul, Korea (in korea visiting) and it was about 10:00pm and for some reason traffic was crawling along at about 10 kph in a 80 zone. As i'm drving along, i look over at this guy, and he has his daughter sitting on his lap.... Normally people cruise at 100-120 on this road, and driving in Korea isn't the safest either.. there are some pretty crazy ass drivers out here... my wife and i are in utter disbelief, his daughter couldn't be more than 4 years old from the looks of it either... anyways as we're crawling along, he pulls out a cig and starts puffing away with his daughter still sitting on his lap... he finally looked over at me and i gave him a wtf look, so he closed his window... fucken idiot...

It sounds like either Jayooro to Ilsan or 88daro. :)
Personally DMB is more serious issue, watching live TV while driving.

Darkane
05-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Nobody's experienced the "hands on the wheel" while driving down 22x?

Night time, 22x. Occasionally (so it's said) hands might grab the wheel of your car, or someone(thing) might jump out of a ditch never to be seen again.

So many people have died on that road.

dj_rice
05-14-2008, 06:32 PM
This one time, I was driving down 16th Ave, it was 2am I think, then out of nowhere, I had the sudden urge to take the most massivest crap EVER, and there was no washrooms nearby, so I pulled into this grass field, took a big dump there, then luckily I had a Super Street magazine in my car so I wiped my ass with that and then drove home...:rolleyes:

Graham_A_M
05-14-2008, 06:46 PM
^ OMFG:rofl: :rofl:

man I have more crazy stories then I do have time to write them up..... and being a former limo driver... some REALLY crazy stories.
dont get me started about the porn movie, the cross-dressing stabbing incident or some of the countless others. :rofl:
yeah some good stories and times, thats fo' sho' :bigpimp:

But I'll say this short one, that a few years ago, I was on deerfoot, and traffic was PACKED!!! I mean perhaps 4-6 feet between cars in the fast lane, and this is in rush-hour, with people doing around 110. I knew the value of having a safe following distance, seems like nobody else did. Either way I got the fuck out of the fast lane as soon as I could, sensing something bad very well could of happend in an instant.

Seems like this one driver zoned out at the slowing traffic in front of him, so (wow what a surprise:rolleyes: ) he probably looked up startled then panicked and stomped on the brakes. (this was about two cars behind me, as he was in the fast lane, I was in the middle lane). His car lost complete control and was swerving violently all over the fast lane, finally his car steers almost directly into the middle lane and ends up T-boning this SUV about two cars directly behind me. It was vicious. Multiple cars and everything.... I was watching this in my rear view mirror, and just about got into an accident myself, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Big cloud of smoke, everybody slows down..... I just see carnage behind me in my mirrors.

So I was driving back this time, about half an hour later heading southbound, and saw them all (4 cars in total) all on the side of the road. Quite messy. :nut:

4DoorGTZ
05-14-2008, 11:05 PM
1. Northbound on Macleod near Midnapore I get passed by a prelude and I'm doing 100, I see him swerve in and out of traffic and he must have been doing 140. Then while passing throgh the Avenida traffic lights I see his car swerve a couple lanes left, then all 3 right, followed by eveyone's braklights in traffic. Pull up on the scene and his car is sitting in the medial across from where the Holliday Inn is now, but ON ITS SIDE :) Stayed, filled out police reports. Couple years later get a letter from his passenger's lawyer asking to use my statements in court (if not to come in and testify)

2. http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=217914

3. Driving home from Peace River I'm flying down the highway 1/2hr from the yellowhead on the NW edge of Edmonton (near Barhead) I'm flying 150 cuz there is nobody, sun has set its getting dark. I see up ahead a car merging from a side road and move over to the fast lane, as I get closer I realize its a mountie. I slam on the brakes and by the time I slow to 100 I'm even, door to door with him. I think the only thing that saved me from a ticket was the fact he was accelerating up to speed. Was stuck behind him all the way through Edmonton and Devon :(

Jayson
05-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by culebra

It sounds like either Jayooro to Ilsan or 88daro. :)
Personally DMB is more serious issue, watching live TV while driving.

haha yeah i've seen that lots too... it's kinda fun driving out here i find, although pretty dangerous.

No i was headed towards nowon

Moonracer
05-15-2008, 08:54 AM
I was at Melrose on 17th last weekend. And as I was looking at the traffic going by, a rather ordinary white van went by with some dude hanging his bare ass out the passenger window. :dunno: :rofl:

climer
05-15-2008, 09:22 AM
For the second consecutive week, I've had an SUV try to move into my lane... while I was still in it!!! :banghead:

I'm driving a C5 which is very low but that's no excuse. The last chick in the Envoy moved into my lane during a double left turn for f*ck sakes!

megavolt
05-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Was driving up glenmore last year and the guy in front of me was in a raised POS truck with an obviously bent frame... I'm talking this thing was driving on an angle. Just as I'm thinking 'this thing's gonna fall apart', his drive shaft breaks away from the diff and starts a spark-show, but the guy's just gunning it wondering why he's slowing down. :nut:

Moonracer
05-15-2008, 12:09 PM

While his ass was hanging out the window was he also trying to sell you some speakers ?

haha No, but he was probly on the way to another bank machine parking lot to do so. ;)

BerserkerCatSplat
05-15-2008, 12:23 PM
I was in a large delivery truck last summer on 16th ave, we stopped at a set of lights near Northill. I was aimlessly looking at the vehicles around us and realized that the guy in the Intrepid beside us was huffing paint thinner at the stoplight. W.T.F.

Spoons
05-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
This one time, I was driving down 16th Ave, it was 2am I think, then out of nowhere, I had the sudden urge to take the most massivest crap EVER, and there was no washrooms nearby, so I pulled into this grass field, took a big dump there, then luckily I had a Super Street magazine in my car so I wiped my ass with that and then drove home...:rolleyes:

Last years spring cruise I was still in my S-10, which was dropped pretty low to the ground, and didn't really have much travel for the suspension, so I felt every bump. Right about when we got onto highway 2, I had to piss. Wasn't that bad, but it got worse, and worse. Seeing how every bump was felt, I had to go really bad after a few minutes. I was too lazy to pull over and piss cause I didn't want to lose the pack, so I reached into the back, found a Gatorade bottle, and pissed in it. The bumps didn't help, there was a few close calls of piss ALL over the cab of my truck. It was funny cause we were driving through some town when I did it, so I am sure a few people saw what I was doing.

403Gemini
05-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Was heading to the NE to goto my baseball game, took a left off memorial onto marlborough way and i see a couple people stopped, so i start to slow down thinking we're stopping for a pedestrian... so i look out my window and see this little toddler, maybe 1, 2 years old tops, BY HIMSELF walking in middle of the street, i was absolutely floored! This brown lady comes running from her bus stop and picked him up off the street and started to look for his mom... jesus im glad everybody caught him cause he didnt even come up past my bumper...

a social dsease
05-15-2008, 01:24 PM
Was driving along highway #1 near Canmore, going about 125km/hr, and ahead of me I see an unmarked cop (green crown vic) going about the speed limit, so I slow down a bit and follow. There were several cars going about the same speed as me, and one by one they all passed the cop, going maybe 115ish so as not to get a ticket. So I figure, ok if they can pass the cop, so can I. So I go in the left lane, pass the cop going like 115, and as soon as get in front of him again, WHEEOOO, on go the lights. Fuck! I couldn't believe it, 3-4 guys pass him, and then when I do it I get pulled over. So I start slowing down and pull onto the shoulder, the cop car behind me turns his siren off, and drives right by me!
I still have no idea why he turned his siren on, and why he didnt stop, maybe he got a call or something...:dunno:

adam c
05-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by a social dsease
Was driving along highway #1 near Canmore, going about 125km/hr, and ahead of me I see an unmarked cop (green crown vic) going about the speed limit, so I slow down a bit and follow. There were several cars going about the same speed as me, and one by one they all passed the cop, going maybe 115ish so as not to get a ticket. So I figure, ok if they can pass the cop, so can I. So I go in the left lane, pass the cop going like 115, and as soon as get in front of him again, WHEEOOO, on go the lights. Fuck! I couldn't believe it, 3-4 guys pass him, and then when I do it I get pulled over. So I start slowing down and pull onto the shoulder, the cop car behind me turns his siren off, and drives right by me!
I still have no idea why he turned his siren on, and why he didnt stop, maybe he got a call or something...:dunno:

he didn't like being in the back, plus if someone is speeding he can't radar from behind so when someone passes him then he gets them

LadyLuck
05-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Jayson

his daughter eh??? more like PEDO!!!!!

keroppi
05-16-2008, 01:23 AM
A few spottings that i almost couldn't believe my eyes -- all in Calgary:

(1) a woman was brushing her teeth in the car while in a traffic jam on 10st heading to downtown in morning peak hour.

(2) a young guy was reading a novel while driving on Country Hill Blvd just outside of Coventry Hill. I honked him attempting to get his attention back onto the road; and he slowed down, looking at me in puzzle and wondering why i honked him... so I rolled down the window and shouted "are you reading a book?!" He then sped away.

(3) an East Indian cab driver in downtown taking off his eyeglasses and reading a map.... while he's still driving his car!

Graham_A_M
05-16-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by keroppi
A few spottings that i almost couldn't believe my eyes -- all in Calgary:

(3) an East Indian cab driver in downtown taking off his eyeglasses and reading a map.... while he's still driving his car!

thats very common actually. Whats nuts is that some of those drivers dope themselves up so they can work 18+ hour shifts.
I used to work for a limo company that was owned by a much larger cab company, so I seen that a fair bit. reading maps is very common, I still do that at times if the traffic isn't overly busy.

Jay911
05-16-2008, 05:43 PM
I used to work for a combination 7-11 Esso store in the deep south of Calgary. All the time, people of all ages and walks of life would demand (not ask, not request, but demand) that I write the car wash code in big dark letters on the back of their receipt so they could read it, because they don't have their glasses with them. Considering that people who don't wear glasses 24/7 either need them to read far away (i.e. road signs and such) or up close (your dash instruments), that kinda scares me about the majority of drivers on our roads.

TaiChino
05-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by rmk
People that don't know simple things like left=fast right=slow piss me off. If you happen to be in the fast lane, and someone comes up behind you, don't make them pass on the right. Some people think this rule only applies on the highway.