PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever work at Superstore?

riced
05-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Specifically the one in Coventry Hills? Doesn't really matter, but if you have worked at that one, then it'd help in the opinions of the managers and stuff.
But in general, how is it there? I'm in grocery.. basically just stocking.
Can't be that bad? hahahaha

snowboard
05-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Why do you ask? i know someone (who you also know) that has worked at sunridge location for like 6 years lol..

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-13-2008, 03:14 PM
I worked at the sunridge one for about a year and a half.

riced
05-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by snowboard
Why do you ask? i know someone (who you also know) that has worked at sunridge location for like 6 years lol..

Is this Brady by any chance? hahaha
Who is this someone?
And I ask because I just got the job there hahaha.. I need a 2nd job to support my car LOL

riced
05-13-2008, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
I worked at the sunridge one for about a year and a half.

And.......... how was it?

rated_R
05-13-2008, 03:28 PM
I used to work at the one on 36th a couple of years ago, I didn't really get a long with this one supervisor but it depends on who u get as a manager/supervisor, there was this other supervisor who was pretty cool with all of us, i used to work produce. And as soon as I got my $1,500 in bonuses I was outta there lol, it was an OK job at the time

riced
05-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by rated_R
I used to work at the one on 36th a couple of years ago, I didn't really get a long with this one supervisor but it depends on who u get as a manager/supervisor, there was this other supervisor who was pretty cool with all of us, i used to work produce. And as soon as I got my $1,500 in bonuses I was outta there lol, it was an OK job at the time

is it pretty slack? I think stock ends up being the same thing.. just diff departments like produce, grocery or household.
Is the bonus applicable all the time? that'd be sweet.
Thanks for the opinion man

r0g3r
05-13-2008, 05:35 PM
i worked nightshift grocery at the coventry hills one for about a year... man, they work you like a dog at night, then when it comes to daytime i see the employees just lounging around, looking like they are bored. Dayshift is the way to go! btw how much are you getting per hour? back when i worked there, dayshift was like 7 or 8/hr and night was about 10/hr to start.

edit: oh and they put you in the freezer for a good amount of time for the grocery department, i'd rather work for the "wearunder"instead LOL.

boxer23
05-13-2008, 05:39 PM
full of power-hungry management...i hated it..prolly one of the worst managed companies in Canada

riced
05-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by r0g3r
i worked nightshift grocery at the coventry hills one for about a year... man, they work you like a dog at night, then when it comes to daytime i see the employees just lounging around, looking like they are bored. Dayshift is the way to go! btw how much are you getting per hour? back when i worked there, dayshift was like 7 or 8/hr and night was about 10/hr to start.

edit: oh and they put you in the freezer for a good amount of time for the grocery department, i'd rather work for the "wearunder"instead LOL.

I'm going to be doing evening shifts.. I think they pay like 9.50/hour.. pretty shitty. But I need some money in the mean time.
This is a second job, so pay is not a big deal at the moment.

Grocery in the freezer? Maybe you're thinking the produce? Grocery is the middle part of the store.. cereals and stuff. Unless I gotta be in the freezer for some dumb reason haha.

Were the managers OK though? Everyone seems to be pleasant. I do grocery there every once in a while and see a lot of the same faces. If they've been there for that long, it can't be that bad.

r0g3r
05-13-2008, 05:42 PM
yea I agree, my supervisor was pretty slack, but the 3 managers were horrible, all they cared about was whether or not you get the stock up in time, and if not they pretty much pressure you into staying overtime. They don't care if they work you to death lol.

edit: grocery has to stock the juices too, like the diary, milk, etc. they put the dayshift ppl inthere most of the time because the nightshift people cannot get it done in time.

NRGie
05-13-2008, 05:42 PM
i worked at coventry hills one

watch out for karen and mike worst managers ever

riced
05-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Shit hahaha, now I'm thinking to myself - what have I gotten myself into.
But I guess I won't know till I try.

What did you do there NRGie?

The Cosworth
05-13-2008, 05:46 PM
^^ do you work at the FS in Coventry too?

G-ZUS
05-13-2008, 06:05 PM
Housewares is slack, I worked at sunridge a couple years ago, evenings shifts are slack

bashir26
05-13-2008, 06:12 PM
I worked General Services which is THE slackest job in the world. I also worked in the fish department. I never worked so hard at superstore in my life. busy busy busy!

riced
05-13-2008, 06:21 PM
what is general services? that's the same as stocking and walking around right?

Palmiros
05-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by riced
what is general services? that's the same as stocking and walking around right?

General Services (GS) - General maintenance, including but not limited to; cleaning washrooms, mopping floors, taking care of spills and other "accidents". As a GS you mainly answer to the store manager directly.. which kinda sucks. I'm not gonna lie, it's not an easy job (although I've never done it), but you do get quite a bit of time to slack off.. The GS guy used to leave go home at about 6 and come back at closing ~9. No one ever noticed he was gone

About a year and a half ago I used to work at the Country Hills Superstore. I worked in the "Front End" and got to work with some pretty cool people.:rofl:

riced
05-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Palmiros

General Services (GS) - General maintenance, including but not limited to; cleaning washrooms, mopping floors, taking care of spills and other "accidents". As a GS you mainly answer to the store manager directly.. which kinda sucks.

About a year and a half ago I used to work at the Country Hills Superstore. I worked in the "Front End" and got to work with some pretty cool people.

Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up. That's definitely not what I'm doing lol.

Yeah, the country hills one is the coventry hills one. Same difference. That's cool, hopefully it turns out to be good. Thanks!

Palmiros
05-13-2008, 06:51 PM

Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up. That's definitely not what I'm doing lol.

Yeah, the country hills one is the coventry hills one. Same difference. That's cool, hopefully it turns out to be good. Thanks!

Yea, no worries. I used to be a "price checker" back in the day, it was a TON of fun. :)
One of the best departments at Superstore would have to be Photo/Electronics. Second, but not too far behind would be Front End.. (customer service, price checking, courtesy clerks, cashiers, etc) and third, Grocery (although always really busy).

For the not so fun departments, I would probably say Housewares (run around all day, carry stuff, always busy beyond belief). Another department that kinda sucked was Leisure, you always have wayyyy too much stuff to do, and not enough time to do it.

riced
05-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Really? I didn't want to be cashier just cause I don't like standing in one spot all day. I would think that grocery would be one of the easier positions cause all you do is stock.
Oh well, the more work the better.. makes time go by faster.

Palmiros
05-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Really? I didn't want to be cashier just cause I don't like standing in one spot all day. I would think that grocery would be one of the easier positions cause all you do is stock.
Oh well, the more work the better.. makes time go by faster.

Grocery is always busy so I guess in that sense you're right; time will go by pretty fast. Don't worry about it though, if you get tired of it you can always switch departments. In the end, it doesn't even matter what department you're in, the people you work with will make the difference. Good luck :thumbsup:

nissanK
05-13-2008, 07:09 PM
It's a shitty place.

I worked at the Shawnessy location nights while in school and just when I was about to finish probation, they fired me! That way I didn't get any benefits or anything. I wasn't a pain in the ass or anything. Never late either.

Good luck with that location. :thumbsdow

InLoveWitRSX
05-13-2008, 07:15 PM
haha i worked deli at the shawnessy one... worst thing ever.. then i got fired

riced
05-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks, Palmiros. I appreciate the feedback.

nissanK, holy shit that sucks. WTF! Man, what douchebags haha.. I was not told about bonuses or anything though.. I don't think I even get any.

analbumcover
05-13-2008, 07:18 PM
$9.50/hour?

the one on southland is hiring at $13.40/hour :confused:

riced
05-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by analbumcover
$9.50/hour?

the one on southland is hiring at $13.40/hour :confused:

That's the catch. I asked about it cause they had a sign up that said the exact same thing, but 14.50.
Premiums.
If you work till 11 on weeknights you get paid 14.50 for the last hour from 10pm-11pm.
If you work Sundays and weekdays during the day, you get an extra $1.00. So, it'l be $10.50.

Gay, huh?

analbumcover
05-13-2008, 07:25 PM

That's the catch. I asked about it cause they had a sign up that said the exact same thing, but 14.50.
Premiums.
If you work till 11 on weeknights you get paid 14.50 for the last hour from 10pm-11pm.
If you work Sundays and weekdays during the day, you get an extra $1.00. So, it'l be $10.50.

Gay, huh?

TOMFOOLERY!!!!!!!!!!!

Trini
05-13-2008, 07:32 PM

Premiums.

Gay, huh?
fcuking gay!!

Grogador
05-13-2008, 07:37 PM
had a friend who worked the Bakery, paid more, was a 3am to 11am shift or something like that... get the whole day to yourself... but I'd be tempted to go straight there from the bar :P

Seriously though you're gonna work grocery for $9/hr? Timmys pays $14+, Chicken on the Way in Kensington has a sign up for $15/hr chicken slinger. Just seems really meazly in this job market. Check HRDC jobbank, get a temp data entry contract or some shit for better cash. Best of all, no customers or bitchy management. How could a grocery manager not be bitchy? Heh.

riced
05-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Grogador
had a friend who worked the Bakery, paid more, was a 3am to 11am shift or something like that... get the whole day to yourself... but I'd be tempted to go straight there from the bar :P

Seriously though you're gonna work grocery for $9/hr? Timmys pays $14+, Chicken on the Way in Kensington has a sign up for $15/hr chicken slinger. Just seems really meazly in this job market. Check HRDC jobbank, get a temp data entry contract or some shit for better cash. Best of all, no customers or bitchy management. How could a grocery manager not be bitchy? Heh.

Yeah, that's the downside to it. I think McDonalds even pays more. I'll check it out. Currently, my job is sitting in front of a computer doing nothing. Boring and your back gets the torture.
I wanted to work at superstore as stock just so I didn't have to deal with customers too much. If they had a question on where things were, then I'd answer it. Other than that, I'm working on my own. You always have a handfull of customers that are douchebags, I can deal with them, but I hate em.
The pro though is, I'm only 2 minutes away from work. Save some gas.

pinoyboy88
05-14-2008, 03:00 PM
i worked at the westwinds superstore for a year and a half. I worked at the meat department and it was actually pretty fun. I was good friends with the guys i worked with and i had a lot of friends who worked in other departments.

omagedon
05-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Surprised, Signal Hill hasn't been mentioned...

I worked there awhile ago when I was in school as a Photo Lab person..man that is an experience...

The managers back then was alright...got shit wages but the hours are flexible.

D911
05-15-2008, 12:22 AM
i worked the country hills Superstore waaay back.
Worked the bakery, that was the absolute slackest thing ever, all i did all day was eat and wander hahahaha.

The worst jobs are probably cash and produce, as those both require you to be be working a good lot of the time..

I liked bakery cause i could do whatever the fuck i wanted and no one really noticed... it was a good job at the time.

Justin240sx
05-15-2008, 12:39 AM
I worked at the Superstore up at Sunridge in Bakery,
so slack but just such a shitty place to work, especially when you just start your first day and you can't understand the person thats training you and than she leaves for the night! :thumbsdow

So I quit after 3 weeks :thumbsup:

GQBalla
05-15-2008, 09:06 AM
i worked at the country hills super store for a grand total for about 3 months.

lol i was in bakery sales so the job was that i was suppose to stock shelves with bread and cookies.

since i only worked evenings 5 till close the supervisor was never there so i always just walked around talked to my friends.
- clock in and leave the store ahahahah come back and chill for like a hour and clock out.

Great times i must say - AAHAHA

HybridTheory
05-15-2008, 09:13 AM
I worked at the Sunridge Superstore way back in the day. I was a courtesy clerk so I basically got to walk around most of the day and talk to people in other departments. I had that job for quite a while cuz I got away with being late and taking longer breaks. Good times at that job haha

Hayate
05-15-2008, 10:59 AM
I worked at the one on 36th, it was so bad i left in 3 days
avoid

rated_R
05-15-2008, 11:01 AM

is it pretty slack? I think stock ends up being the same thing.. just diff departments like produce, grocery or household.
Is the bonus applicable all the time? that'd be sweet.
Thanks for the opinion man

Twas pretty slack but mostly depended on who was working that day, produce is stocking vegatables and fruits so you are right it is basically doing the same thing.

As far as the bonus goes, I think they got rid of that while I was there (they were in talks of get rid of it at the time)

black13
05-15-2008, 11:19 PM
God awful managers/supervisors AND customers too made it the worst job I've done so far. I had no idea how annoying people could be until I worked there. And supervisor's? uhh I was always stuck with this ultra bitchy lesbian who always nagged.

95EG6P
05-18-2008, 11:30 PM
I worked at the one in signal hill in the deli department, it sucks waking up at 6am and walking 20mins to work in the cold. I lasted 2 months at the most and called it quits

r0g3r
05-18-2008, 11:49 PM
yea, when I was working the nightshift grocery, we had people come in for work and then quit on the same day because it was so physically demanding. what we do is we get pallets of products, and we had to be constantly carrying stuff, most of the stuff were in packages, so it was somewhat heavy.

on my first day, they worked me 9 hours, i went home that day so tired i slept for about 12 hours lol. wake up....ready for work again...it was hell, glad im done with that. Although there was a good side to it, most of the guys there were cool and around my age.

Bimmer88
05-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Graveyards shifts are always bad for your health...

People from like Shaw, Telus, even Superstores I've heard is just so bad but people do it because their paid really well.

Like Superstores graveyard shift for stocking shelves... what you make like $20 and hr? for Full Time I believe? I could be wrong but still that's good pay but is the pay really worth it in the end? Especially versus health? Your whole biological clock is going to be thrown off, and not only that but you'll probably experience more stress, and other health and mental related symptoms.

Goodluck though.

copynpaste
05-19-2008, 06:09 PM
C. Hills Photolab was my first job back when I was 16. Stupid manager was a total prick, didnt even bother training me and of course with me starting just as school was out...the lab was crazy busy and I would always get stuck left alone. The workers were horrible, everyone just went for smoke breaks while I was left alone and had no clue how to develop film and pics. Nobody wanted to train me, aside from cutting film.

So 2 weeks later, here we are, all these angry customers picking up their photos and its the wrong pics! lol. So I got fired about a month into the job.

The_Rural_Juror
05-19-2008, 06:37 PM
I worked there for a short while back in the day. I told them I couldn't skate but they just wouldn't listen.

Quinsonaaa
05-20-2008, 03:41 PM
i worked produce for a year! its a sweet place if your friends are working with you.:D

TaiChino
05-20-2008, 03:42 PM
I worked at the Sunridge on about 10 years ago in produce, the most boring job I have ever had. The management was ok, and it's union so it's pretty hard to get fired, but stacking fruit all day in nice little pyramids? Sucks!

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-20-2008, 04:24 PM
Sunridge = horrible. The staff are bitchy, the managers are worse, and the customers are even worse.

I was a price checker, which I assumed would be awesome, but I was like a bitch, only above GS.

When they say freezer, they're talking about Dairy, which is Groceries job. Your also walking around alot, so you get asked a lot of questions.

r0g3r
05-20-2008, 05:56 PM
yea, when school started and it was time for me to get up early in the morning, thats when I felt messed up. I was SO tired I couldn't believe it. It really does mess with your biological clock, because I believe that light governs your sleep patterns mostly. And no, we do not get paid alot lol, i got paid 10 per hour. And the senoir staff there got 20 per hour, thats only because they worked there for more than 15 years !!!!:eek:

riced
05-20-2008, 06:29 PM
haha wow
but the sunridge one is pretty bunk next to the one near southcenter imo
I'm hoping this one in coventry won't be too bad.
I start tomorrow lol.. I'll let you know how it goes :D

ScottysZ
05-20-2008, 10:52 PM

on my first day, they worked me 9 hours, i went home that day so tired i slept for about 12 hours lol. wake up....ready for work again...it was hell, glad im done with that.

9 hours of work? IN A ROW???

jav_
05-25-2008, 10:26 PM
i applied for the night crew at westwinds..need a job badly

t_soarer
05-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Superstore management is generally....shady as f*ck...it's because they don't get paid enough for the mess they have to clean up. Worked at Westhills superstore for a couple of years...$75K in thefts from my department (Electronics)...some by management too

r0g3r
05-27-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by ScottysZ

9 hours of work? IN A ROW???

im not sure if your being sarcastic, but please, don't be an asshole. and yes, 9 hours IN A ROW, sheesh

riced
05-27-2008, 06:06 PM
So I've had my second shift yesterday. There was someone here that posted that grocery was dairy as well, you are correct. I apologize for saying you weren't.
All in all, it's not too bad. I do in fact spend 80-90% of the time in the cooler, but you get a jacket, gloves and when you're working it's not too cold. it's 4degrees inside lol
Co-workers are mostly high schoolers or drop outs.. the several that I've worked with are a good bunch though.
Management looks to be like cocky mother effers, but there is one assistant manager that is super nice. He bought myself and my co-worker rolo and coffee crisp milk last night and sat in the cooler drinking it. He will be the only manager I work with, so I can't say anything else about them.

I'd say, it's an easy as shit job. Fill milk, then do nothing. I heard night crew got paid like crap and worked hard though...

r0g3r
05-27-2008, 08:46 PM
So I've had my second shift yesterday. There was someone here that posted that grocery was dairy as well, you are correct. I apologize for saying you weren't.
All in all, it's not too bad. I do in fact spend 80-90% of the time in the cooler, but you get a jacket, gloves and when you're working it's not too cold. it's 4degrees inside lol
Co-workers are mostly high schoolers or drop outs.. the several that I've worked with are a good bunch though.
Management looks to be like cocky mother effers, but there is one assistant manager that is super nice. He bought myself and my co-worker rolo and coffee crisp milk last night and sat in the cooler drinking it. He will be the only manager I work with, so I can't say anything else about them.

I'd say, it's an easy as shit job. Fill milk, then do nothing. I heard night crew got paid like crap and worked hard though...

yea night crew got jipped, it was tough at first because I wanted to keep the job, so I worked hard. Then the longer you work you know when you can slack and stuff, so it gets easier. During breaks we bring up food to eat haha. Yea and the guys who work there are mostly drop outs, but they are cool, makes the job enjoyable.

szw
05-28-2008, 07:04 AM

im not sure if your being sarcastic, but please, don't be an asshole. and yes, 9 hours IN A ROW, sheesh

He was being sarcastic and it is pretty funny.