PDA

View Full Version : $9000 for a Prelude

steve224
05-13-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm look at this 1997 Honda Prelude right now with 219KM
Person is asking $9,000. I've called and he said its loaded except leather. It's also 5 speed. He's said its in great shape. But obviously I'll need to take a look at that first.

Is this a good deal guys? Or should this price be a little be lower with those kind of KMS and the car being 11 years old.

funkedelic
05-13-2008, 04:24 PM
www.canadatrader.com/

click and compare

steve224
05-13-2008, 04:26 PM
Good idea actaully. I guess while I've made this thread I should also ask. Are Preludes pretty reliable? Whats the motor expected to run till? Whats are some things I should look for.

ScottysZ
05-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Hondas are worth their weight in gold around these parts, just do your own research.

carsurvey.org

Destinova403
05-13-2008, 04:29 PM
the car should be ok. the 5-speeds are built a LOT better than the autos.

the engine will be fine with those miles as long as the proper care has been taken. make sure the timing belt is already changed... if it isnt you might wanna get him to throw that in.

check for oil leaks... and be aware that the engine will probably burn a little but... such is the nature of the H22. so if you buy the car... keep a close eye on the oil levels.

if possible... take it through vtec and watch for smoke or start it cold and watch for smoke or smell for burning oil.

aside from that the usual stuff really, clutch isnt slipping, etc. its a honda so it should be alright.

i would take it to a mechanic that you trust and get it checked out. and definately run a carproof... thats how i found out mine was a rebuild so i was extra careful with my inspections.

oh and one more thing... that prelude doesnt have leather so itll be the Base model.

that means it doesnt have the ATTS that comes on the SH, or the leather/different rim style. (active torque transfer system) aside from that there were virtually no options on the lude.

in terms of what i think about the price... it isnt bad but you could probably get one for cheaper with lower miles or with a swap... just DONT buy the auto... they have a reputation for failure.

94boosted
05-13-2008, 04:30 PM
www.msn.com -> autos and then look up common problems with the car

Any car can be reliable if it's taken proper care of, check the fluids see if they are clean or dirty and black, check the belts for cracks, check the brakes threw the rim, run threw the gears see if its smooth or if it grinds....

Japanese motors usually last quite along time but it all depends on how well it's maintained.

steve224
05-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks alot for the reply Destinova403! There is no way I'll be getting an auto. Just not my thing in this type of car. I'll be sure to make note of the things you said.

Jlude
05-13-2008, 04:49 PM
meh...

if you CAN, you could spend another 5 - 6k and get a fully loaded 01 lude... they're pretty cheap these days.

I personally think that's too high for the mileage and the fact it's the base model... depends on how much you want it

Kloubek
05-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Good words by Destinova403. Listen to him.

I was definately surprised to learn the auto transmissions were prone to failure. That's very unfortunate from a company like Honda, and an expensive fix for those buying one used....

rc2002
05-13-2008, 05:11 PM
For that mileage and year it's priced about right. You could probably find a better deal than that if you wait.

Even if you get a problem free auto tranny, that tranny sucks power like no tomorrow. Dyno numbers on those automatic preludes are brutal.

Mista.2
05-13-2008, 06:38 PM
preludes are awsome! i had a 93 bought it with 180km and sold it with 245km very reliable awsome on gas. not to mention great looking cars! but 9k does seem a little too high for those kinda kms.

BlackFyre
05-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Just a question, but why spend $9k on such a high km car. Maybe you're specifically after a that prelude, in which case its a moot point, but you could get something with much lower km's for that price. I understand that Honda's keep there value very well, but never in my life would I spend nine thousand dollars on a car creeping up over 200k. Ignore this post if you have your heart set on the car, but if I were you, I would keep my options open, look around on kijiji and autotrader, you can get something just as nice, with much less mileage.

laurier
05-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Way to high priced. I am putting mine for sale soon and it has 121,000 and will be asking for around 11,500. Seems like prelude prices went up this spring.

RedCivic
05-13-2008, 07:54 PM
$9000 for a prelude? :dunno: if i were you i would rather buy JDM Car instead. :D :D :D you can get it for less

Destinova403
05-13-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by RedCivic
$9000 for a prelude? :dunno: if i were you i would rather buy JDM Car instead. :D :D :D you can get it for less

i had a skyline... it was brutal as a daily driver... especially in the winter. the prelude is a lot more forgiving.

EDIT: i had a GTS-T... just to clarify... turbo RWD + Ice = LOSE

BlackFyre
05-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by RedCivic

Until that fateful day that it needs to be repaired... Unless you've got a significant amount of money above what you paid for the "JDM" vehicle, stay clear. An imported skyline will never come close to the reliability of a NA Honda/Acura/Toyota, etc...

Eleanor
05-14-2008, 11:45 PM
or you could go to the states and get rsx-s for slightly more.....

eur0
06-15-2008, 06:41 PM
Im going to be putting mine up for sale in the next few weeks, 98 Prelude, red, 5spd for 8800 obo with 165,000 kms.

Pm me if your interested and I can send you more details.

Accord_tunerx
06-15-2008, 06:55 PM
^hes banned...dont think he be sending you a msg anytime soon

ahmadg
06-15-2008, 07:44 PM
try to hustle him down by telling him its a base model....high kms....
hed probably let it go for 7 if u try hard enough

brown_guy
06-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by ahmadg
try to hustle him down by telling its a base model....high kms....
hed probably let go for 7 if u try hard enough

Ya offer around 7k low ball at 6500 and then get a inspection done too:thumbsup: before you buy it you can use it as levrage

LudeLover
07-13-2008, 08:43 PM
9 grand is way to much buddy are you kidding me i wouldnt give him more than 4

avishal26
07-13-2008, 09:22 PM
^^ are you kiddin me...?

a month late maybe?