PDA

View Full Version : Reason's for Fish Oil Supplementation.

Darkane
05-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Little info by Charles Poliquin. He writes brilliant articles.

Charles Poliquin
For those of us interested in positively and optimally altering body composition and maximizing our training efforts, fish oils offer thirteen possible advantages:

1. Cell membrane health: EPA and DHA insure that cell membranes remain healthy. This means that the membranes are flexible and contain larger numbers of insulin receptors that are more receptive and responsive to circulating insulin. This results in decreased fat storage in the adipocytes (fat cells).

2. Fish oils turn on the lipolytic genes (fat burning genes).

3. Fish oils turn off the lipogenic genes (fat storage genes).

4. Fish oils diminish C-reactive proteins, a newly identified risk factor associated with various inflammatory diseases, including atherosclerosis, angina, coronary heart disease, heart attack, stroke, congestive heart failure, and diabetes. The DHA fraction of the fish oil seems to be one most responsible for that protective effect. DHA also has the best ability to reduce blood pressure.

5. Increase utilization of fat stores from the adipocytes.

6. Preferential utilization for energy production once stored in the adipocytes.

7. Reduced inflammation from physical training.

8. Pain management from the reduced inflammation.

9. EPA regulates blood supply to the brain which is essential in maintaining focus in weight training sessions. DHA is important in brain membranes, memory, and cognitive function.

10. Fish oils increase serotonin levels (the happy neurotransmitter). Therefore, fish oils will decrease incidence of depression, anxiety, panic attack, and reduce carbohydrate cravings.

11. Fish oils will improve your cardiovascular risk profile by lowering VLDL, triglycerides, homocysteine, fibrinogen, and increasing HDL levels. Combining fish oils with plant sterols will improve lipid levels even more than either alone.

12. Fish oils can also decrease blood pressure by several mechanisms. These include increases in the vasodilatory compound, nitric oxide, reducing vascular inflammation, blocking the constrictive elements in the vascular wall such as the calcium channels reducing blood viscosity, and inhibiting a blood vessel constrictor (thromboxane). Lipoprotein (a) is another CVD predictor that can be lowered by fish oils (a 19% reduction was seen with natural, stable fish oils and just 4% with a highly purified fish oil).

13. Fish oils are a great stress fighter. Supplementation with n-3 fatty acids inhibits the adrenal activation of steroids, aldosterone, epinephrine, and norepinephrine (catecholamines) elicited by a mental stress, apparently through effects exerted at the level of the central nervous system. Therefore, for the same amount of stress, one will produce fewer stress hormones if consuming fish oils on a regular basis.

So yeah, take it. Don't buy the crap from Superstore either.

I take Carlson's. It's expensive and well worth it!

r0g3r
05-13-2008, 05:50 PM
i ordered the one off dr.mercola's site, I find that hes gaining alot of popularity. Its the one with the lemony taste, its great! check out his site he has many other health products that are pretty well priced.

rmk
05-13-2008, 06:35 PM
:werd: I grabbed another bottle of the Udos from Popeyes last week. Good stuff.

civic_rida
05-14-2008, 10:52 AM
I started using fish oils too but Charles Poliquin i think recommends 30-40g per day which is insane.

Masked Bandit
05-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Something smells fishy in here?

Sorry.....someone had to say it.

01RedDX
05-14-2008, 02:40 PM

rmk
05-14-2008, 02:50 PM
Not sure how true this is, but I have heard that 1 tsp of the oil from a bottle is like taking 10-15 pills.

qbnb
05-14-2008, 02:58 PM
I take a 1,200mg Omega 3-6-9 complex by Jamieson's. According to the ingredients it contains 400mg of fish oils specifically, along with a host of other ingredients. Would this be sufficient, or should I be taking this along with another fish oil supplement?

01RedDX
05-14-2008, 03:01 PM

Lex350
05-14-2008, 03:18 PM
these are the ones I buy

http://www.shaklee.ca/details.shaklee?id=1121

civic_rida
05-14-2008, 03:56 PM
400mg is not enough.
I know that once you reach a certain weight the standard suggestions that are on the bottle dont apply.

blinkme_210
05-14-2008, 06:49 PM
I don't dare take more than 10g a day, or else you'll be shitting fish oil when you think you're farting.

Mckenzie
05-14-2008, 09:53 PM
I am using Udo's oil :thumbsup:

pinoyhero
05-15-2008, 06:08 AM
I take the DHEA and DHA focus supp from costco, 3 pills daily.

Mckenzie
05-15-2008, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

It is true, since that stuff is not confined to capsules, so there's much more oil by volume. But that is the only reason it's more expensive, it's not because of the composition or anything.

Yeah :werd:

That is why I choke down the oil itself because I dont feel like taking 15 pills to get the same effect. :dunno:

Darkane
05-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida
I started using fish oils too but Charles Poliquin i think recommends 30-40g per day which is insane.

That's not insane. 30g is only 2 tbsp lol.

I think a fast food burger is upwards of 50g Saturated fats. Doesn't seem to crazy now does it?

This is the stuff I take: http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_detail.phtml?prodid=10025836&categid=03a9

Per tsp (5g) - 800mg EPA, 500mg DHA. It's also been third party tested many times and comes up contaminent free! No heavy metals, and no Extra Vit A & D which could be poisonous in mega dosing.

Everyone should be taking 10-15g daily regardless of routine.

OzzyOzzman
05-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Darkane
So yeah, take it. Don't buy the crap from Superstore either.

I take Carlson's. It's expensive and well worth it! [/B]

Where did you it from? on line? or a health store in Calgary?

Thanks

Darkane
05-27-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by OzzyOzzman

Where did you it from? on line? or a health store in Calgary?

Thanks

Vitacost.com

They had a 50% off promotion. I bought 6 bottles lol.

OzzyOzzman
05-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Thanks, I've placed an order.

Mckenzie
05-27-2008, 05:54 PM

Vitacost.com

Is the only shipping method the express international for $29? Seems excessive for a $26 bottle...

Does anyone in town sell it?

Darkane
05-27-2008, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

Is the only shipping method the express international for $29? Seems excessive for a $26 bottle...

Does anyone in town sell it?

Not that I've seen. That's why I ordered more or less in bulk. I hate shipping :(

When it comes to my body/health I don't skimp out anymore. Fuck 29 dollars if it keeps mercury out of my blood.

pinoyhero
05-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Keep it coming Darkane great articles.

qbnb
05-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Darkane, seeing as how you know a fair amount about fish oils, are there any you'd recommend that can be purchased locally?

Darkane
05-27-2008, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by qbnb
Darkane, seeing as how you know a fair amount about fish oils, are there any you'd recommend that can be purchased locally?

Honestly, I've never even looked. I took the superstore brand a couple times and then read that fish oil becomes unstable if not totally fresh and refrigerated.

I just went online and bought. I've never been to a health food store or supplement store for oils. But I'd be willing to bet their "Good shit" would be expensive as fuck.

Anyone else with local fish oil experience?

kertejud2
05-27-2008, 10:28 PM

I think a fast food burger is upwards of 50g Saturated fats. Doesn't seem to crazy now does it?

While I agree 30g isn't insane, a Double Quarter Pounder (w/cheese) only has 20g of saturated fat, which of course is 100% of your daily recommended intake (I really think they should re-word that).

Darkane
05-27-2008, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by kertejud2

While I agree 30g isn't insane, a Double Quarter Pounder (w/cheese) only has 20g of saturated fat, which of course is 100% of your daily recommended intake (I really think they should re-word that).

yeah I just checked that out. Pretty crazy.

Although it doesn't have 50g saturated it still has 45g of total fat w/ some transfat too. Ouch. ;)

EDIT: just for shits I tallied a DBL Big Mac meal, large Barqs, Large fries.

1590 cals! bahaha. Crazy. No wonder more than half of Americans are over weight or obese.

jav_
05-27-2008, 11:54 PM
i take the Jamieson Omega-3:thumbsup:

Gorilla
05-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by jav_
i take the Jamieson Omega-3:thumbsup:

I take that one too.. combine over 500 EPA and DHA.

I take 4 a day

max_boost
06-16-2008, 05:03 PM
So I went out and bought this stuff.

Anyone else use it?

http://www.genuinehealth.com/english/pbn/o3mega.php?id=31&section=100

Each 5ml contains 786mg EPA and 524mg DHA.

It recommends 1-2 teaspoons per day. Should I stick to that? Are there any circumstances I should take more than the recommended dosage?

I'm 27, 5"5 & 150llbs. Starting to lift some weights 3-4 times a week as well as playing badminton for 1-1.5hrs, 3-4 times a week. Just looking to slim down a bit, build some muscles and generally trying to stay more fit and active. No junk food or pop, lots of green tea and trying to eat more healthy.

civic_rida
06-17-2008, 04:35 PM
i was told to take more than recommended to gain muscle and strength.

I recently stop taking them and havent noticed a difference.

I also take other vitamins in hopes to gain size.

Darkane
06-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida
i was told to take more than recommended to gain muscle and strength.

I recently stop taking them and havent noticed a difference.

I also take other vitamins in hopes to gain size.

How much were you taking and was it quality stuff?

For massing aim for 15-20/day. Cutting 25-30g/day.

Also it's best to split them up with your meals. Fish oil is ideal for Insulin sensitivity (It will force the carbs into the muscle instead of letting them become fat).

There was an article I read not to long ago where it said Fish oil supplementation could lead to an EXTRA 400 cals burned per/day! That's brilliant.

Super_Geo
06-17-2008, 07:11 PM
There was an article I read not to long ago where it said Fish oil supplementation could lead to an EXTRA 400 cals burned per/day! That's brilliant.

Is that with the recommended dose on the bottles, or taking enough to 'far fish oil' like someone posted earlier.

Genjuro
06-17-2008, 07:38 PM
what type of fish oil should i be looking for?
Salmon, Tuna, Sardines, Cod? I've read that Cod contains more VitA which may not be as good for you at higher doses.
molecularly distilled? Also read that it should be but others say that it shouldnt because it takes the purity away...

Thanks

Darkane
06-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

Is that with the recommended dose on the bottles, or taking enough to 'far fish oil' like someone posted earlier.

Higher dosing.

Super_Geo
06-18-2008, 11:10 AM
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/fish-oil/NS_patient-fishoil

Nice little summation of what has been proven medically, and what needs more testing.

Super_Geo
06-18-2008, 01:42 PM
Take 2-3 grams of EPA/DHA per day. This is the lowest dosage I'd use to elicit a fat loss benefit. You may need to crank it up to 5 grams of EPA/DHA as the response can vary between individuals.

So is that 5g of EPA and 5g of DHA, or is that 5g combined between the two of them?

I picked up a bottle of HealthBalance Omega-3 at Costco... was about $25 for 240 soft gels... each soft gel has 400mg of EPA, 200mg of DHA. Seems like a decent deal, definitely a better deal than Flameout, but who knows if the quality's there...

revelations
06-18-2008, 02:17 PM
I take a omega 3-6-9 supplement.

As an aside, too much fish oil causes constipation.:thumbsdow

(even with a high fiber diet)

G-Suede
06-19-2008, 12:37 AM
^ From your sample group of one?

revelations
06-19-2008, 12:53 AM
Am I the only one who notices the side effect?

revelations
06-19-2008, 12:53 AM
Better than anal leakage I guess

Darkane
06-22-2008, 08:25 PM
^^ Are you sure it's the fish oil?

What's the rest of your diet like?

r0g3r
08-31-2008, 08:42 PM
do any stores in calgary carry the carlson's fish oil? I think its pretty good, is there another brand that is praised for its quality, that is available in calgary? something that is PCB-free, potent is not reduced alot due to any processes, also other toxic metals-free.

theof
10-18-2008, 06:59 PM
anyone heard of or uses Xtend Life?

http://health.xtend-life.com/product/Omega_3_~_DHA_Esters.aspx

plz lemme know. im new to fish oil and i dont want something with any risks.

bigbadboss101
10-18-2008, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by r0g3r
do any stores in calgary carry the carlson's fish oil? I think its pretty good, is there another brand that is praised for its quality, that is available in calgary? something that is PCB-free, potent is not reduced alot due to any processes, also other toxic metals-free.

I think Vitamin First in Marda Loop has it.

2002civic
10-19-2008, 11:05 AM
i take jamieson omega 3-6-9, how does this stuff stack up?

max_boost
10-19-2008, 11:24 AM
Most of high quality fish oils should be complete toxin free, I mean why would they sell it otherwise given notoriety that comes with it.

If you guys want to try one out, I really like the Genuine Health O3Mega I'm taking right now. It's got a nice orange flavour to it and chase it with a shot of oj and you are good.

bigbadboss101
10-19-2008, 12:36 PM
I can drink most oil, may it be fish, flax, hemp etc.

semograd
10-20-2008, 10:03 AM
I take cod liver oil straight out of the bottle. Tastes gross but way better than pill form. Dont forget to refrigerate that shit.

max_boost
04-07-2009, 04:24 PM

This is the stuff I take: http://www.carlsonlabs.com/product_detail.phtml?prodid=10025836&categid=03a9

Per tsp (5g) - 800mg EPA, 500mg DHA. It's also been third party tested many times and comes up contaminent free! No heavy metals, and no Extra Vit A & D which could be poisonous in mega dosing.

Everyone should be taking 10-15g daily regardless of routine.

Vitacost.com

Holy FML! I went to GNC to pick up some 03mega+ fish oil because I'm starting to lift again. The cost was $40 with a gold card for a 200ml bottle! Oh well, pay the piper because I don't remember it being that expensive before?
:confused:

And then I remembered this thread :facepalm:

500ml bottle of Carlson is only $22.76+shipping/taxes (53% off)
http://www.vitacost.com/Carlson-The-Very-Finest-Fish-Oil

That's USD? How much is shipping, brokerage etc.? Time to deliver?

Even if it adds up to $40CDN/bottle, I still get 2.5X the volume compared to my 200ml bottle :rofl:

sabad66
12-03-2009, 11:15 PM
I'm looking at getting some fish oil capsules (I know the liquid is better but I just don't want it).

Any recommendations on a brand that I can order online for a good price? I was looking at these:
http://www.trueprotein.com/Product_Details.aspx?cid=24&pid=6821

Anyone have anything better that is that good of a price? I was planning on getting two of those, so 2000 capsules for ~50.00

freshvibes
12-05-2009, 06:45 AM
I remember reading that it's not necessary to supplement with omega 6 and 9 because we get enough of it in our daily diet and to just stick with omega 3. Can anyone confirm?

Impreza
12-05-2009, 02:28 PM
It's not necessary IF you get enough in your daily diet, however, most peoples diets simply don't include enough omega3-6-9 rich foods, so it is just easier to supplement.

Gorilla
12-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Look on the bottle if the DHA and EPA combined around around of above 500 it's a good product. No need to spend inane amount on omega 3. Superstore Brand works fine.

wintonyk
12-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
It's not necessary IF you get enough in your daily diet, however, most peoples diets simply don't include enough omega3-6-9 rich foods, so it is just easier to supplement.

Let me rephrase that for you. Most peoples diets do not get enough omega-3.

Omega 6 we get way to much. Its actually your ratio of omega three to six you should look at. Ideally you want a 3:1 ratio of 6:3. Unfortunately because of soybean oil, cottonseed oil, and the preservatives found in so much of NA food this ratio is totally skewed. The average NA gets a ratio of 25:1.

As for 9. This is the funniest part is not an essential fatty acid aka our body can produce it itself.

Omega 3 and Omega 6 are actually referred to as alpha-linolenic acid and linoleic acid. The omega-9 we so often refer to is a marketing ploy. This acid is known as oleic acid. Or in lay mans terms. Monounsaturated fat. The difference between these is basically the # of carbon to carbon bonds as well as location. Bonds are meant to be broken. So to put it simply Omega 9 = omega 3 or omega 6.

I think that should clear things up with the confusion. All you need to supplement with is really you Omega 3.

This is the best one I have seen available: Nutrasea Omega-3 Plus D (for added bonus)

http://www.bargainfishoil.com/NutraSeaD_USlowressmall.jpg

colt22
12-15-2009, 04:55 PM
Krill oil is a much better source. 10x more concentrated ePA dHA

Darkane
12-16-2009, 12:06 AM
Right now I'm taking Flameout with addition trueprotien caps.

Working real good. Flameout's have CLA too.

:thumbsup: