PDA

View Full Version : Sketchy market?

Doodle
08-19-2003, 07:48 PM
How has alberta's market been for car sales lately? I've been trying to sell my impreza for 4 months now and no luck. The car is absolutely solid and a market price yet no takers? Maybe the wrx and sti stole the market, anyway what the shat should I do to speed up my sale :dunno: help a brother out.

Weapon_R
08-19-2003, 07:50 PM
Make the price more attractive.

max_boost
08-19-2003, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Make the price more attractive. :werd:

Unless you are driving something extremely rare.....no one is willing to pay a premium price for it. Everyone is looking for a deal, just look at all the low ballers on this site:D

Abom
08-19-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Make the price more attractive.

Agreed.

CLiVE
08-19-2003, 08:55 PM
plus why would anyone buy used with such attractive interest rates on new cars...that may be stealing some of the used car market...??:dunno:

Akagi Redsuns
08-19-2003, 09:07 PM
Probably, the low interest is a nice incentive. Wish I bought my car this year and not last year...stupid 5% interest! *sigh*

Abom
08-19-2003, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by memystealthandi
plus why would anyone buy used with such attractive interest rates on new cars

I, as well as many other people I'm sure, don't like to finance or lease or bank loan or that stupid shit. Paying interest is a complete waste of money, and so is debting yourself up. The ONLY thing I will EVER take a loan on is a house, a.k.a. mortgage. In my books, if you don't have the money to buy it, meaning you can't afford it, then don't.

ecstasy_civic
08-19-2003, 09:38 PM
what do you drive abom?

Abom
08-19-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
what do you drive abom?

I don't normally say, but I'll tell you that it's white, and in my avatar pic :D Any Speedcowboys.com member who was out to the "car shows" can tell you what I drive.

ecstasy_civic
08-19-2003, 09:48 PM
looks like a swift:rofl:

Abom
08-19-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic
looks like a swift:rofl:

:thumbsup: What the hell, most people here already know anyways, 1993 Suzuki Swift GTi (that's a 4 cylinder for those that think it's the 3), overbored, forged pistons (new ones, stock replacement since the stock ones are already forged), 5" intake, Garrett GT25 turbo pushing 8 psi intercooled, soon to have a 35 shot of nitrous oxide as well. Lot more, too lazy to type is all out, I'll make a list if you want tho.

nickyh
08-20-2003, 06:59 AM
I've been trying off and on to sell my Jetta since spring. I think the dealerships are hurting just as bad as us private Joes.
I know someone in the auto business and some dealers are only selling 4 cars a month right now! Even with the 0% they can't move inventory.

I've given up - i'll try again next year - and i am not trading her in at a dealership, I'm not prepared to lose $$$ on their black book value of my car.

Redlyne_mr2
08-20-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Abom

I, as well as many other people I'm sure, don't like to finance or lease or bank loan or that stupid shit. Paying interest is a complete waste of money, and so is debting yourself up. The ONLY thing I will EVER take a loan on is a house, a.k.a. mortgage. In my books, if you don't have the money to buy it, meaning you can't afford it, then don't.
I wouldnt say its a waste of money, auto loans are how most people establish credit. You dont have any credit and you arent getting a house brotha. Plus even if you do have the cash to buy a vehicle you'd be alot better off applying that cash to a mortgage instead of a depreciating vehicle

Abom
08-20-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I wouldnt say its a waste of money, auto loans are how most people establish credit. You dont have any credit and you arent getting a house brotha. Plus even if you do have the cash to buy a vehicle you'd be alot better off applying that cash to a mortgage instead of a depreciating vehicle

There are other way to build credit though. Such as having a credit card, using it, and paying the whole thing off every month. Now THAT builds some good credit. You have to remember, if you put yourself in debt with half the things you own, and one little thing goes wrong, like you lose your job or whatever, you're really fucked.

I prefer to live with as little debt as possible.

Shaolin
08-20-2003, 12:51 PM
with the way it's going right now I think many is looking towards buying a house rather than using the money for a brand new ride, especially when the rate is below 5%.

Doodle
08-20-2003, 09:22 PM
I dumped the price lots! hmm yea turns out dealers here are selling no cars too, wonder whats up?

E36M3
08-20-2003, 09:48 PM
That seems pretty conservative. As it is now, I prefer to finance because my investments make more than what I am paying to finance my vehicles. I think that your strategy is valid in times where the interest rates are higher, but if you can make more by investing your money in an *appreciating* asset, sometimes you are a lot better off.

Originally posted by Abom

Abom
08-21-2003, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by E36M3
That seems pretty conservative. As it is now, I prefer to finance because my investments make more than what I am paying to finance my vehicles. I think that your strategy is valid in times where the interest rates are higher, but if you can make more by investing your money in an *appreciating* asset, sometimes you are a lot better off.

I understand where you're coming from, and by all means, things like mortgaging a house become necessary at some point. However, there are people out there that have debted their car, house, their furniture inside their house, and they pay off one credit card bill using another credit card. At some point, it'll all catch up to you and fuck you over.

And if you're just making all your payments on time, say you lose your job because of a big job cut or something, then what happens? Unless you have quite a bit of money saved away, you're looking at the repo man coming for a visit.

In my opinion, debt sucks. Sometimes it's un-avoidable, but when it is, it should be avoided at all costs.

nickyh
08-21-2003, 07:06 AM
There was a study done a while back - CDN's carry more debt than Americans but we pay off our debt faster and there is less chance of defaulting. Americans carry less debt but cannot make the pmts.
Cudo's to us!

My car % is 8.5, and right now I am building a house with 3.95% for 3 years - funny how the thing that costs the most and appreciates over time has lower interest than a car which is "cheaper".
Kinda sad when an additional $1000 to a house only makes a diff of about $6.00 - we paid off our debt instead of thowing down a larger DP.

3G
08-21-2003, 08:54 PM
My dad put his van in the paper, and it was sold the next day :dunno:

Doodle
08-21-2003, 09:46 PM
Damn your dad...