PDA

View Full Version : Ticket Question

steve224
05-14-2008, 12:03 AM
After work tonight I got clocked tonight 120 in a 60 zone. I was being a fucking tool and totally deserve the ticket. I'm sure I'll get some nice witty coments coming my way but hopefully someone can be of help.

Whats the chances of fighting this in court. Also what would the points be on something like this

cmodem
05-14-2008, 12:13 AM
holy crap what did he give you? i thought 50 and over is instant tow away of car.

the chances are pretty slim i think that you'll be able to do anything without professional advice because of the severity. Talking to the crown they don't do RO's anymore and he probably wont' reduce it much since it's pretty bad.

I think 50 over is considered a major conviction? someone correct me?

If it's a major conviction your insurance will go up for sure. If it's still a minor conviction and if it's your first ticket it won't.

I'd take it to pointts. Randy is the only way i've been able to get off tickets completely. He's not cheap... but then again insurance going up 10% over 3 years is not cheap either.

Dooms_Bane
05-14-2008, 12:16 AM
i heard of you go over 50km you lose you licence or a suspension or something? weird tho.

steve224
05-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Everyone has been telling me they are shocked I didn't get my car taken away on the spot. Its a pink ticket btw.

laurier
05-14-2008, 12:23 AM
ya points will be your best bet.

pattyt
05-14-2008, 12:25 AM
wait you guys have that law in Alberta too? ...thought it was only in Ontario. Guess its nation wide

Spoons
05-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Yeah, points would be.

But if you believe you were a fucking tool, which you were, why even bother fighting it? You were dumb enough to be doing 120 in a 60, suck it up, and fucking take it like a man.

Lose your license? Sweet, maybe you won't do 120 in a 60 next time. Isn't that what tickets are for anyways? They are there with hefty penalties so you don't do it again.

cmodem
05-14-2008, 12:31 AM
http://www.pointts.com/albertadermit.html

these are demerit point breakdowns... it's 6 demerits categorized with careless driving and racing. I'm pretty sure pink tickets mean you have a mandatory court appearance at that date.

what is written as the section and sub section of the ticket and the reason for the ticket?

sorry man but i think you should be getting some professional help.

steve224
05-14-2008, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Spoons
Yeah, points would be.

But if you believe you were a fucking tool, which you were, why even bother fighting it? You were dumb enough to be doing 120 in a 60, suck it up, and fucking take it like a man.

Lose your license? Sweet, maybe you won't do 120 in a 60 next time. Isn't that what tickets are for anyways? They are there with hefty penalties so you don't do it again.

I'm on GDL, and already have two stupid tickets. U-turn and another 3 point ticket. So I've already gone over the limit anyway. But because of it being the worst ticket I can get does this increse the time I'll be taking the bus?

Team_Mclaren
05-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Yeah, points would be.

Fighting a traffic ticket is your right, why the hell wont you do it.

Originally posted by steve224

I'm on GDL, and already have two stupid tickets. U-turn and another 3 point ticket. So I've already gone over the limit anyway. But because of it being the worst ticket I can get does this increse the time I'll be taking the bus?

Having said that, you are pretty fucked, unless you can find something to fight against the ticket. you'll most likely be suspended. 6 demerits is pretty much guaranteed on a pink ticket.

steve224
05-14-2008, 12:41 AM
If I was to take defensive driving and upgrade from GDL (Because I can whenever now, just been busy) Would this be able to save my ass from a suspention? Don't you get a few more points on class 3..

Spoons
05-14-2008, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

Fighting a traffic ticket is your right, why the hell wont you do it.

Yes, but if you know your guilty why do it? The way I look at it it will just be a waste of time. But that is my opinion. Honestly I could see if he had a clean record, MAYBE they would take the points off, but he has had a few tickets, and doubling a speed limit doesn't exactly scream, "I messed up, wasn't really watching my speed, sorry."

I would throw a pretty good chance out there that they will NOT take off the demerits. I know if I was a judge, I would just laugh and say no. But then again I'm not a judge so...

steve224
05-14-2008, 12:45 AM
Why dosen't it say how much the ticket is $$ wise?

chris
05-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Yeah, points would be.

He has to go to court, it's not like a regular ticket where you can fight it or not. You go to court and they determine your penalty, let's hope you have a nice judge. But yeah you're pretty fucked...... seek help!

steve224
05-14-2008, 12:48 AM
I'll have to call for some help in the morning. You guys said points are good?

Spoons
05-14-2008, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by chris

He has to go to court, it's not like a regular ticket where you can fight it or not. You go to court and they determine your penalty, let's hope you have a nice judge. But yeah you're pretty fucked...... seek help!

Ah ok, sorry yeah never had that bad of a ticket. Didn't know you HAD to go to court. -1 to me.

Team_Mclaren
05-14-2008, 12:49 AM

Yes, but if you know your guilty why do it? The way I look at it it will just be a waste of time. But that is my opinion. Honestly I could see if he had a clean record, MAYBE they would take the points off, but he has had a few tickets, and doubling a speed limit doesn't exactly scream, "I messed up, wasn't really watching my speed, sorry."

I would throw a pretty good chance out there that they will NOT take off the demerits. I know if I was a judge, I would just laugh and say no. But then again I'm not a judge so...

Being guilty does not mean you have to serve the maximum penalty of the violation. By fighting / pleading his case there's a chance to save his license and avoid a suspension. Even just to lower the fine or shorten the length of suspension.

Its not the demerits that he should worry about (even though in this case, he's fucked either way), its the instant suspension.

Expect the fine to be around 600-800. Plus the suspension/demerits, plus a raise in insurance, plus lawyer fees if you choose to have one. It's going to cost you ALOT

steve224
05-14-2008, 12:58 AM
Looks like I'm better off just loosing my license then.
Lawyer cost, ticket cost = more than i can afford
Getting a lawyer is pointless if I'm going to lose anyway

I'll just have to pay the ticket and ride calgary transit for the next year. How long does a GDL have to wait after getting suspended?

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-14-2008, 01:07 AM
You can deff go to non-GDL

Gives you 15 demerits vs 8.
Defensive driving course will take 3 off.

So 18 overall.

But the judge can still be like "omgwtf were you doing?! gimme that license"

Call points. If you don't it'll be a huge fine, as well as your insurance will cost WAY more in the long run.

Grogador
05-14-2008, 01:13 AM
Pink ticket has no $$ amount as it's a mandatory court appearance. GDL was before my time so no idea how that works. Maybe if you suck enough judge you can get it down to 50 over which is like $354 and buncha demerits... maybe w/o suspension... imho Points is a ripoff, not sure how much more they'll be able to do for you... you have to go to court anyway, dress nice, apologize and hope for the best. Driving course will look good to judge too.

tm.88
05-14-2008, 01:39 AM
If I was to take defensive driving and upgrade from GDL (Because I can whenever now, just been busy) Would this be able to save my ass from a suspention? Don't you get a few more points on class 3..

Do this,

Defensive driving you can take every 2 years, and lose 3 demerits and they report it to the registries.
And yes from GDL to being Graduated you go from 8 to 16 demerits meaning your license would be saved.

Thats your safest route, and im 100 percent positive on what i just told you....best friend had a very similar situation happen.

ghostlyport
05-14-2008, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by cmodem
holy crap what did he give you? i thought 50 and over is instant tow away of car.

the chances are pretty slim i think that you'll be able to do anything without professional advice because of the severity. Talking to the crown they don't do RO's anymore and he probably wont' reduce it much since it's pretty bad.

I think 50 over is considered a major conviction? someone correct me?

If it's a major conviction your insurance will go up for sure. If it's still a minor conviction and if it's your first ticket it won't.

I'd take it to pointts. Randy is the only way i've been able to get off tickets completely. He's not cheap... but then again insurance going up 10% over 3 years is not cheap either.

kinda out of topic... but what you mean by RO from the crown???

megavolt
05-14-2008, 07:57 AM
Don't you have to be ticket free for 1 year to take the GDL-exit test?

Lt247
05-14-2008, 08:11 AM
http://www.fleetsafetyinternational.com/

If you go on there, you can take an online course, to reduce 3 demerits off your record.. its defensive driving case studies you take online..

Its time consuming, but if you need it.. why not.

Grogador
05-14-2008, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by ghostlyport

kinda out of topic... but what you mean by RO from the crown???

Registered Offence or maybe Registered Owner offence, basically means no demerits, just a fine. They don't do that anymore, however you can still talk the JPs down from say 50 to 30 over, less fines, more time to pay, etc.

Kloubek
05-14-2008, 09:54 AM
At least the OP admits he was being a tool rather than giving us some sort of half-ass defence.

I would go fight the ticket for sure. It's entirely possible they may reduce it to a regular ticket for you. I too claim responsibility when responsibility is due, but that doesn't mean you have to sit there and take the full punishment they initially offer.

If everything looks grim, I am not so sure hiring a lawyer is a bad idea. If it was open/shut, you wouldn't need one. But sometimes lawyers can fine loopholes you were not aware of.

For example - I had a friend about 10 years ago who thought it would be a good idea to go out drinking and driving. He ended up causing an accident, and totalled his car and the other. In the end, he paid NOTHING, and had no points on his license. There was even an impartial witness to the whole thing! Granted, he paid a mint for the lawyer, but it was worth it compared to the alternative.

GL.

Big_Dreamer
05-16-2008, 03:04 AM

Ah ok, sorry yeah never had that bad of a ticket. Didn't know you HAD to go to court. -1 to me.

i had one the day be4 my b day in april going 143 in 100 i had the pink ticket but i didnt have to go to court or anything just payed 300 bux but fighting will hurt ur wallet a lot harder than accepting it in my opinion i lost 4 points too

Eleanor
05-16-2008, 07:36 AM
Double the limit and GDL? You're fucked, don't waste money on a lawyer. How did they measure your speed?

Also, hopefully this fiasco will teach you not to be an idiot anymore :whipped:

ghostlyport
05-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by Grogador

Registered Offence or maybe Registered Owner offence, basically means no demerits, just a fine. They don't do that anymore, however you can still talk the JPs down from say 50 to 30 over, less fines, more time to pay, etc.

Oh.. when they they stop taking demerits off? anyone been to justice of the peace recently that can confirm that the JP will not take demerits off anymore?

Heff
05-16-2008, 10:16 AM
[B]After work tonight I got clocked tonight 120 in a 60 zone.

Let me guess, tail end of Anderson coming into Evergreen from the back end, where the limit drops at the light onto 36th?