PDA

View Full Version : Large Hadron Collider

Pages : [1] 2

Emo-Chicken
05-14-2008, 08:38 PM
http://www.haisdeaks.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/collider.jpg

Hey, not sure if anyone posted this, (Did a search and couldn't find anything)

"As with previous particle accelerators, people both inside and outside the physics community have voiced concern that the LHC might trigger one of several theoretical disasters capable of destroying the Earth or even the entire Universe. This has raised controversy as to whether any such risks outweigh the potential benefits of constructing and operating the LHC.

Though the standard model predicts that LHC energies are far too low to create black holes, some nonstandard theories lower the requirements, and predict that the LHC will create tiny black holes. The primary cause for concern is that Hawking Radiation - a postulated means by which any such black holes would dissipate before becoming dangerous, remains entirely theoretical. In academia, the theory of Hawking Radiation is considered plausible, but there remains considerable question of whether it is correct

Other disaster scenarios typically involve the following theoretical events:

* Creation of strange matter that is more stable than ordinary matter
* Creation of magnetic monopoles that could catalyze proton decay
* Creation of a strangelet"

--

In June or July the real tests are gonna begin, today or tomorrow its just starting up.

for more information

http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/LHC/LHC-en.html

&

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lhc

The Cosworth
05-14-2008, 08:41 PM
anyone played the first half life?? haha

should be interesting what we learn from the universe out of it, maybe we will find a gravitron after all

clockworkboy3
05-14-2008, 08:42 PM
they don't smash till july....look out alternate universe!!!

mark4091
05-14-2008, 08:46 PM
World just has to end on my birthday lol.

Emo-Chicken
05-14-2008, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by mark4091
World just has to end on my birthday lol.

Meh, it happens.

danlowteg
05-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris
anyone played the first half life?? haha

Indeed, I think I will go out and get a shotgun

kevinkor99
05-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Well i guess everytime there's a blackhole in the universe, some stupid planet made one of these and yea lol

The Cosworth
05-14-2008, 09:06 PM
The total energy in each beam of protons in the LHC is equivalent to a 400 tonne train (like the French TGV) travelling at 150 km/h. However, only an infinitesimal part of this energy is released in each particle collision - roughly equivalent to the energy of a dozen flying mosquitoes. In fact, whenever you try to swat a mosquito by clapping your hands together, you create a collision energy much higher than the protons inside the LHC. The LHC's speciality is its impressive ability to concentrate this collision energy into a minuscule area on a subatomic scale. But even this capability is just a pale shadow of what Nature achieves routinely in cosmic-ray collisions.

KuruptEX
05-14-2008, 09:07 PM
nice knowing u guys i enjoyed full 21 years:)

Kavy
05-14-2008, 09:09 PM
^ word

This is where it all starts, im going to build a crystal spaceship to put my unborn son in and send it to a planet with a blue sun so he has superpowers.

Kavy
05-14-2008, 09:11 PM
The total energy in each beam of protons in the LHC is equivalent to a 400 tonne train (like the French TGV) travelling at 150 km/h. However, only an infinitesimal part of this energy is released in each particle collision - roughly equivalent to the energy of a dozen flying mosquitoes. In fact, whenever you try to swat a mosquito by clapping your hands together, you create a collision energy much higher than the protons inside the LHC. The LHC's speciality is its impressive ability to concentrate this collision energy into a minuscule area on a subatomic scale. But even this capability is just a pale shadow of what Nature achieves routinely in cosmic-ray collisions.

I like puppies

Emo-Chicken
05-14-2008, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Kavy
^ word

This is where it all starts, im going to build a crystal spaceship to put my unborn son in and send it to a planet with a blue sun so he has superpowers.

BLUE?!!?

How the hell do I embed a video? Hah! I did it!

mL2UsAbI1hg

kertejud2
05-14-2008, 09:25 PM
The Earth is going to end eventually, we might as well go out with the best bang possible.

nightfx
05-14-2008, 09:28 PM
Let the mass looting begin! :poosie:

e36bmw///
05-14-2008, 09:33 PM
nm

Xtrema
05-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Doom

Emo-Chicken
05-14-2008, 09:55 PM
No, Duke Nukem

DannyO
05-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Shouldn't we lay down and put paper bags over our heads or something?

EuroDubbs
05-14-2008, 10:02 PM
what a hoax

BigMass
05-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Titor predicted it. We'll be ok. This is only the begining of time travel as Titor knew it

Bimmer88
05-14-2008, 10:09 PM
Star Trek Enterprise here we come!

And holy crap that thing is huge...!

BerserkerCatSplat
05-14-2008, 10:16 PM
Higg's Boson or bust.

turbo4dr
05-14-2008, 10:17 PM
So why the hell do we need this thing anyways?????/

A790
05-14-2008, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by turbo4dr
So why the hell do we need this thing anyways?????/
So many reasons, many relating to its ability to prove/disprove theoretical science, speculations, etc. Could further our understanding of physics, etc., etc.

Kloubek
05-14-2008, 10:19 PM
This has to be one of the most concise, mature answer I've read in a while. Thank you. I hope you know what you're talking about. :)

Cy2k1
05-15-2008, 01:15 AM
pull a futurama and find some cryogenic labs then freeze yourself!

snowboard
05-15-2008, 01:28 AM
that shit is fucked up.
wish i could understand it more and in full detail.

4lti7ude
05-15-2008, 02:58 AM
Usually i dont pay these things any attention at all, but for some reason this thing just gives me chills.
:thumbsdow

hampstor
05-15-2008, 07:46 AM
http://raven.subsume.com/mu/ohTheHugeManatee.jpg

97'Scort
05-15-2008, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by danlowteg

Everybody knows that you start out with a crowbar. Sheesh :)

I've been looking forward to this thing starting up for awhile now. It's a shining beacon to what the world can accomplish when it works together.

adam c
05-15-2008, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by 97'Scort

I've been looking forward to this thing starting up for awhile now. It's a shining beacon to what the world can accomplish when it works together.

or a way for terrorists to really rule

"Follow our reign or we will create black hole and kill you all!!!" ALlaaaaaa!!!!

Rat Fink
05-15-2008, 09:19 AM

GQBalla
05-15-2008, 09:21 AM

^^ LOL

i bet you this thing is something that will aid us in conquering the universe

sexualbanana
05-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Kavy
^ word

Fuck that.

Hookers and blow until the end!!

Genjuro
05-15-2008, 10:15 AM
i cant find where it actually starts? the doors opened April 6th 2008 for public to check it out though...

these physicists are fucked though... they are willing to change life or destroy it just to get a few lousy answers.

97'Scort
05-15-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Genjuro
these physicists are fucked though... they are willing to change life or destroy it just to get a few lousy answers.

Can't make an omlette without breaking a few eggs :) I figure wost case scenario is that it takes out part of France. Other than that, even though it seems massive, it doesn't have the power capabilities to create a sustained reaction of the magnitude to create any black holes or things like that.

Seriously, only about one in a billion stars that go supernova have enough energy to collapse on themselves. You seriously think a few kilometers of pipe and magnets buried under the Alps have a chance of destroying the planet?

syeve
05-15-2008, 11:27 AM
What's the difference between a PA and a synchrotron?

BigMass
05-15-2008, 11:29 AM
John Titor, alleged time traveller, talks about CERN in 2000/2001

The source of power for the C204 that allows it to distort and manipulate gravity comes from two microsingularities that were created, captured and cleaned at a much larger and ?circular? facility. The dual event horizons of each one and their mass is manipulated by injecting electrons onto the surface of their respective ergospheres. The electricity comes from batteries. The breakthrough that will allow for this technology will occur within a year or so when CERN brings their larger facility online.

When I first started posting online a few months ago, I said that major breakthroughs in particle physics were around your corner. Soon, CERN will bring their big machine on line and they will be smashing very fast and high-energy particles together. One of the more odd and potentially dangerous items produced from this incease in energy will be microsingularities a fraction of the size of an electron.

By using two microsingularites in close proximity to each other, it is possible to create, manipulate and alter the Kerr fields to create a Tipler gravity sinusoid. This field can be adjusted, rotated and moved in order to simulate the movement of mass through a donut-shaped singularity and into an alternate world line. Thus, safe time travel

parallel universe might be created when you seem to change the past. Imagine if time itself was just like a tree. The different branches show different ways events could have happened. Every time we decide to do or not to do something time splits. Even if we are not aware we decided something it have affects. Quantum physics reveals a many worlds theory like this. Conclusion Since this parallel universe is not really your past (despite it's first appearance) anything you do there does not affect you. You can prevent a version of yourself from being born because you are not really related to anyone there. They just look very like your family and friends. You are not home! You may be somewhere that looks like the place you live but a different universe in quantum physics is a completely different reality.))
By the way, #2 is the correct answer and the basics for time travel start at CERN in about a year and end in 2034 with the first "time machine" built by GE. Too bad we can't post pictures or I'de show it to you.

I?m pretty sure they have a number of experiments going on at the same time at CERN. The one I?m referring to involves very high energies using protons. From my historical perspective on my worldline, I do recall the issue was a point of contention about 18 months ago or so. There were some scientists who thought the experiments were too dangerous to try. The time travel I refer to does not require faster than light travel and due to multiple world ?reality?, paradoxes do not occur. Natural time machines do exist.

I have never claimed to be a physicist or an expert on what the CERN laboratory is doing at any given moment so I feel it is pointless to argue about what they may be doing in the future or what "breakthroughs" they will or might have. My comments about the CERN lab are in reference to particle accelerators in general and other questions that have come up in the past. The major physics break through for controlled gravity distortion does happen at CERN in your future. Heck, we haven't even touched on "Z" field compression yet. I suppose I could say that I was the one that traveled in time and convinced them to change their experiments but even I would have a hard time believing that one and I do not wish to insult your intelligence.

rage2
05-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Seriously, only about one in a billion stars that go supernova have enough energy to collapse on themselves. You seriously think a few kilometers of pipe and magnets buried under the Alps have a chance of destroying the planet?
Bingo. They're colliding particles to simulate for a fraction of a second what a black hole actually does. It'll answer a lot of questions and prove many theories. The black hole will be created, it'll emit the very little amounts of radiation like all black holes do, and run out of steam.

There simply isn't enough mass to sustain a black hole that'll destroy everything. There's not enough mass if we collided all of the earth's mass into a singularity to create and sustain a black hole. Even if the entire mass of the collision gets converted into energy, there'd be less than what it takes to do blink your eye.

As for the John Titor thing, this CERN particle accelerator has been public info for a long ass time. Discovery channel FTW!

Spoons
05-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Bingo. They're colliding particles to simulate for a fraction of a second what a black hole actually does. It'll answer a lot of questions and prove many theories. The black hole will be created, it'll emit the very little amounts of radiation like all black holes do, and run out of steam.

There simply isn't enough mass to sustain a black hole that'll destroy everything. There's not enough mass if we collided all of the earth's mass into a singularity to create and sustain a black hole. Even if the entire mass of the collision gets converted into energy, there'd be less than what it takes to do blink your eye.

As for the John Titor thing, this CERN particle accelerator has been public info for a long ass time. Discovery channel FTW!

Exactly, any black hole that is created will just collapse in on it's self. The experiment itself is to create mini black holes, instead of the creation of a black whole as a calculated risk.

The experiment is trying to find the Higgs Boson particle, which explains why things have mass. They are basically trying to recreate that very instant after the big bang occurred. Not only will this give us a huge understanding on how the universe was created, but it will also open the doorways to massive amounts of new technology. All in all the experiment will greatly affect our society in a good way. I am very excited for this, and have been reading up on this constantly.

Plus calculated risks have be ball parked to something like 1 in 100 billion or something ridiculous. Rest your weary heads to rest, nothing will happen.

Stock up on crowbars if you wish, but you're wasting your time! :D Although if I could get my hands on a HEV suit, that would be pretty bad ass.

powerslave
05-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Haha check this out... Earth will become "strange"! Oh noes!!:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strangelet#Dangers

The Cosworth
05-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

Exactly, any black hole that is created will just collapse in on it's self. The experiment itself is to create mini black holes, instead of the creation of a black whole as a calculated risk.

The experiment is trying to find the Higgs Boson particle, which explains why things have mass. They are basically trying to recreate that very instant after the big bang occurred. Not only will this give us a huge understanding on how the universe was created, but it will also open the doorways to massive amounts of new technology. All in all the experiment will greatly affect our society in a good way. I am very excited for this, and have been reading up on this constantly.

Plus calculated risks have be ball parked to something like 1 in 100 billion or something ridiculous. Rest your weary heads to rest, nothing will happen.

Stock up on crowbars if you wish, but you're wasting your time! :D Although if I could get my hands on a HEV suit, that would be pretty bad ass.

Could you explain the Higgs Boson particle? This is one thing that I have NEVER understood, and some of the crap on the interweb is very contrary to what I remember learning.

adam c
05-15-2008, 04:40 PM
so if it was 2 particles or things that created the big bang what were they flying around in before they hit?

97'Scort
05-15-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by adam c
so if it was 2 particles or things that created the big bang what were they flying around in before they hit?

Nobody knows :) Nothing perhaps? If you can figure out how to imagine an infinite amount of nothing without going insane let me know.

Antonito
05-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Genjuro

Damn those scientists, doing something that they firmly believe will have no ramifications! :guns:

jhmed
05-15-2008, 04:54 PM

I'll grab a crowbar!

The Cosworth
05-15-2008, 05:25 PM

Nobody knows :) Nothing perhaps? If you can figure out how to imagine an infinite amount of nothing without going insane let me know.

yeah I still cant think of that one, I picture a pulsating freaking out white ping poing ball, although that isn't even right.

Best I can do I guess :banghead:

U4RIA
05-15-2008, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
This has to be one of the most concise, mature answer I've read in a while. Thank you. I hope you know what you're talking about. :)

That's because it was copied and pasted right from the OP's link ;)

Spoons
05-16-2008, 01:38 AM
The big bang wasn't two particles smashing into each other. What they are doing here is not recreating the big bang, but recreating that exact moment right AFTER the big bang occurred, basically that moment when everything was created. The experiment is not what really happened then and there, but it will hopefully give off one of these Higgs Boson particles, which explains mass.

The big bang theory is not of two particles smashing, but that the universe was a tiny packet of matter, super super small. Something made it explode, and space, time, and matter was creating in seconds. It is a hard concept to grasp your hands around, but again, theory. Same as a black hole, space time continuum theories, etc.

The Higgs Boson (or god particle) is basically the single particle that gives mass. It is the theoretical explanation to gravity, and why otherwise massless objects can still create mass in the universe. As Brendan asked why he can't find definitive answers to what it is, well neither can I, and really not a lot of others can either. No one really knows if it does exist, because well it is simply a theory. Hopefully this experiment will prove it.

As powerslave posted, one of the dangers is that it could also create strangelet particles, basically quarks that are missing an electron, and basically converts other matter into this "strange matter." It would spread until, well, the universe would be unstable. Again calculated risks have been 1 in one billionth or so, so I mean I really doubt it will happen.

This experiment is huge, because it will prove SO MANY particle models and theories. People don't realize that if you pick up a physics book, a very good portion is all theories. There is a lot of stuff that has yet to be scientifically proven, but it is the only theory that makes sense, so it is widely accepted and taught. This experiment will put and end to a lot of that.

4lti7ude
05-16-2008, 02:46 AM
Wait a second... So if this truly dose show how the Big Bang started the universe, then wouldn't this experiment prove Christianity wrong? Not to bash Christianity but...wouldn't this prove it wrong?

kertejud2
05-16-2008, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by 4lti7ude
Wait a second... So if this truly dose show how the Big Bang started the universe, then wouldn't this experiment prove Christianity wrong? Not to bash Christianity but...wouldn't this prove it wrong?

No, something that doesn't allow itself to be falsifiable cannot really be proven wrong.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-16-2008, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Spoons

The big band theory

Does that mean the Glenn Miller Orchestra created the known universe? ;)

GQBalla
05-16-2008, 08:18 AM
looks like im still alive!!

Bimmer88
05-16-2008, 08:21 AM
I think a blackhole just ate my car!

sputnik
05-16-2008, 08:37 AM

... and a crowbar

adam c
05-16-2008, 08:42 AM

ok so they say the universe is still expanding and as spoons stated out that there was matter that exploded, than where is the universe expanding into?!?!

icecreamvan
05-16-2008, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by jhmed

I'll grab a crowbar!

Originally posted by sputnik

... and a crowbar

and someone else's joke. ;)

adam c
05-16-2008, 08:56 AM
actually you start with your fists and then you find a crowbar in the back alley while you're being chased

A790
05-16-2008, 09:11 AM
actually you start with your fists and then you find a crowbar in the back alley while you're being chased
Well, you don't really *find* it per say. Rather, your friend tosses it to you just before you start getting shot at.

adam c
05-16-2008, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by A790

Well, you don't really *find* it per say. Rather, your friend tosses it to you just before you start getting shot at.

who shoots at you? you're being chased by blood hungry zombies

97'Scort
05-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

No, I think it was Harry Connick Jr.

ok so they say the universe is still expanding and as spoons stated out that there was matter that exploded, than where is the universe expanding into?!?!

Nothing? As far as we know, it's an infinite amount of vacuum. There's another theory that says that once the universe expands to a certain size, it will spring back on itself and collapse. If that's the case, it could have happened an infinite amount of times already. Then all the mass in the universe gets compacted into a (relatively) little ball and explodes again.

It's very hard to imagine (I would say impossible) something that always was and always will be, plus having a size that can't be measured. It's the kind of thought that makes you want a Johnny Walker Blue at 8 am.

In the first Half Life, you just find it, if I remember right :)

Hakkola
05-16-2008, 10:21 AM

It is creating space where there is nothing! Or maybe there is something outside of our expanding universe and we're just pushing it out. Haha, it's crazy to think about. Is the universe round?
http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=4554

A really strange theory is that if the universe retracts after a point, instead of expanding forever, it will collapse on itself and create a new universe on the other side, repeating big bangs forever.

adam c
05-16-2008, 10:37 AM
last i heard the universe was still expanding and an accelerating rate

avow
05-16-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by A790

hehehe your thinking half life 2, everyone else is thinking of the first one :D.
anyways, we are still alive it would seem so looks like i get to keep poring cash into the mr2 til cancer finds me :clap:

adam c
05-16-2008, 11:45 AM
so i was bored at work and thought i would do some reading.

came across this link http://www.pbs.org/deepspace/timeline/ yea yea pbs whatever..

anyways they talk about trillions of years in the future all that will remain are black holes.. i'm no expert but what it trillions of years ago the universe did exist and eventually fell to the same black hole fate as it will in the future. everything being compacted into a black hole and then suddenly exploding from the pressure.

it would explain a lot of things. or maybe i'm just too bored at work right now and just want to go camping already!:banghead:

Spoons
05-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

You honestly have no clue how much I edited my post because I accidentally put "band" instead of bang. It was late lol.

If theories are proven, it will not disprove religion. The Christian religious groups are based around that God created everything, but with the big bang (almost spelled big band again, I hate you Trevor) it didn't just explode from nothing. There was matter there, it was just in a very tiny pocket in a very empty void. Question still lays of how that matter got there, so religious groups are not disproved because well, maybe God created that pocket of matter.

Adam it is really hard to grasp your mind around the universe, I know I can't really, but it has always fascinated me since a kid.

There are a couple of theories that have been widely accepted in the science community. One is that the universe is finit. Meaning there is no boundary per say. Like a sphere, if you started from say earth, you could quite travel all the way back to earth.

Another is a flat universe (I believe this one is a little more accepted, it better follows Einstein's theories of Space time continuum and black holes) which is that the universe is exactly how it sounds, flat. If is infinite which means it goes on forever.

Hakkola
05-16-2008, 02:30 PM
For the nerds like me; lots of science documentaries: http://www.ninjavideo.net/docus

403Gemini
05-16-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by 4lti7ude

Not really. It might hurt the feelings of the literallist christians, but not too many of them exist north of the southern states ;)

403Gemini
05-16-2008, 03:26 PM
There used to be a video on here (cant find it anymore) that showed a picnic (i think) and kept expanding further out and out and out showing the galaxy, then the universe, etc.

Anybody know where that vid is or have it bookmarked?

TKRIS
05-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Not really. It might hurt the feelings of the literallist christians, but not too many of them exist north of the southern states ;)

You should take a drive up to the Big Valley Creation Science Museum:
http://www.bvcsm.com/

I'm really hoping to get a chance to stop by myself sometime this summer...

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-16-2008, 03:42 PM

No, I think it was Harry Connick Jr.

Nothing? As far as we know, it's an infinite amount of vacuum. There's another theory that says that once the universe expands to a certain size, it will spring back on itself and collapse. If that's the case, it could have happened an infinite amount of times already. Then all the mass in the universe gets compacted into a (relatively) little ball and explodes again.

It's very hard to imagine (I would say impossible) something that always was and always will be, plus having a size that can't be measured. It's the kind of thought that makes you want a Johnny Walker Blue at 8 am.

In the first Half Life, you just find it, if I remember right :)

That's the theory I've read. I'm not worried about it. Honestly, it interests me, and I would love to see something like this proven/disproved. As for the universe imploding, I'll let someone else handle that. I'm sure if it does occur, it won't happen within my lifetime.

403Gemini
07-15-2008, 09:37 AM
BUMP! 1 month to go :clap:

rated_R
07-15-2008, 09:52 AM
There used to be a video on here (cant find it anymore) that showed a picnic (i think) and kept expanding further out and out and out showing the galaxy, then the universe, etc.

Is this it??

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e297/not2bmistakn/OurUniverse.gif

TheOneAndOnly
07-15-2008, 10:18 AM
simple rule of thumb,

nothing = unity

rmk
07-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by TheOneAndOnly
simple rule of thumb,

nothing = unity

Liar.

TheOneAndOnly
07-15-2008, 10:23 AM
lol,

my point is, there is no set limit, as this cycle of shrinking and expansion has probably happened a bajillion times.

When we "fold" back in again, the universe will shrink into an area of nothing, this nothing is called unity. Expansion will continue till our elastic properties allow.

Obviously much more complicated, but simply put that is the most probable theory.

Hakkola
08-02-2008, 11:49 AM
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/08/the_large_hadron_collider.html

Some great pics too. :thumbsup:

Canmorite
08-02-2008, 11:59 AM
That is one hell of a project. How would you even start to design something like that?? :eek:

Any word on the final cost?

XylathaneGTR
08-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

Any word on the final cost?
From our ol' pal, Wikipedia.

"
The total cost of the project is anticipated to be between 3.2 to 6.4 billion euros.[1] The construction of LHC was approved in 1995 with a budget of 2.6 billion Swiss francs (1.6 billion EUR), with another 210 million francs (140 million EUR) towards the cost of the experiments. However, cost over-runs, estimated in a major review in 2001 at around 480 million francs (300 million EUR) for the accelerator, and 50 million francs (30 million EUR) for the experiments, along with a reduction in CERN's budget, pushed the completion date from 2005 to April 2007.[13] 180 million francs (120 million EUR) of the cost increase have been due to the superconducting magnets. There were also engineering difficulties encountered while building the underground cavern for the Compact Muon Solenoid. In part this was due to faulty parts lent to CERN by fellow laboratories Argonne National Laboratory or Fermilab (home to the Tevatron, the world's largest particle accelerator until CERN finishes the Large Hadron Collider).[14]
"

FilthyMcNasty
08-05-2008, 04:47 PM
i bet they will run it on december 21st 2012. hahaha

FilthyMcNasty
08-05-2008, 04:47 PM

Spoons
08-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by FilthyMcNasty

Yeah it is already running...

But thanks for coming out though! :clap:

UndrgroundRider
08-11-2008, 04:43 AM

This theory has been a huge source of controversy lately. Not too long ago scientists were able to measure the rate of expansion of the universe and found it was in fact speeding up. Or so we think. The curvature of space time makes it increasingly difficult to measure accurately. Like virtually every area of science, there is no unanimous support one way or the other.

As for pretty much everything else we think we know about the universe... it's all up in the air.

Half of the reason they built LHC was because in December 06 there were some "phantom" indications of the Higgs. Which was subsequently confirmed by a second independent group of scientists. Problem is with all the data from the past few years, our best measurements of the mass for top quarks totally breaks the standard model. Again the significance of this is debated, it's always been understood that the standard model wasn't effective at high energy levels. Most people believe a new breed of physics will need to be developed for high energy stuff.

Regardless of how it works out, the next few months will be really exciting. Or really short lived, lol. Lets hope none of the dozen doomsday scenarios crop up ;)

UndrgroundRider
08-11-2008, 04:45 AM
By the way, if anyone wants to follow the cool down process:

http://lhc.web.cern.ch/lhc/Cooldown_status.htm

The Cosworth
08-11-2008, 07:30 AM
Good post!

adam c
08-11-2008, 08:28 AM
still don't like the idea of this

creeper
08-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by FilthyMcNasty

I thought the 'end' of the world was December 12?

12/12/12

Thats what that lady on the infomercials selling those DVD's says.

no_joke
08-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Just wondering, how many people here have an academic background in physics? I certainly don't.

403Gemini
08-13-2008, 11:59 PM
Have they essentially "Crossed the beams" yet?

TKRIS
08-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by creeper

12/12/12

It's December 21, but it doesn't really matter.
It's a completely arbitrary, inaccurate date.

The Mayan "Long Calendar" resets every ~180,000 days (just like how ours resets every ~365 days). According to inaccurate guesses, that will be December 21, 2012. There is no prophecy that says the world will end on that day. It's just the day the calendar flips over (exactly like Dec. 31).

Even if there was some sort of batshit crazy doomsday prophecy, how much stock do you want to put in the predictions of an ancient civilization that collapsed over a thousand years ago, and knew approximately jack shit about the solar system, earth, or science in general? You'd be better off asking your 4 year old cousin to predict the future.

Tik-Tok
08-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by creeper

12/12/12

Well yeah, but she wants the extra 9 days to spend all the money she's earned from the dvd's on coke and orgies.

jhmed
08-14-2008, 08:21 AM
I read on CNET yesterday they were starting Sept. 10th??

EDIT: http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-10011229-76.html?tag=bl

dubski
08-20-2008, 12:48 AM

The video you were looking for is called "The Power of ten," it goes up by tens of meters exponentially and explores from the earth to the end of the known universe, then goes down to show the smallest of cells. Make sure you pay attention to the great commentary.

The Power Of Ten (http://www.juvenilecomedy.com/space.htm)

403Gemini
08-20-2008, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by dubski

The video you were looking for is called "The Power of ten," it goes up by tens of meters exponentially and explores from the earth to the end of the known universe, then goes down to show the smallest of cells. Make sure you pay attention to the great commentary.

THATS THE ONE!

Cheers!

edit: love the parody ;) haha

Oldskool
08-20-2008, 02:09 PM

hahaha!!! thats hilarious

legendboy
08-20-2008, 02:52 PM

lol

bituerbo
08-26-2008, 01:23 PM
Bumping an old post... someone has found (and posted) the user manuals for the LHC:

http://www.iop.org/EJ/journal/-page=extra.lhc/jinst

rage2
09-01-2008, 08:04 PM
j50ZssEojtM

Canmorite
09-01-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by bituerbo
Bumping an old post... someone has found (and posted) the user manuals for the LHC:

http://www.iop.org/EJ/journal/-page=extra.lhc/jinst

Good lord :rofl:

JfuckinC
09-01-2008, 10:15 PM
This will not be the end of the world. Your combined sins will bring the Armageddon forth upon thee!