PDA

View Full Version : Criminal Record & Traveling to the states.

Kaos
05-15-2008, 12:11 AM
I searched and couldn't find anything.
Need some factual points.

So my friend has a record involving drugs which occurred in 2003.
We were having a discussion about how he can't get into the states unless he gets a pardon.

Some of you may know how this works.
Does anyone know exactly if he can travel into the states? even after 5 years?

Please discuss.

Jlude
05-15-2008, 12:21 AM
I just checked the us customs and border patrol site and couldn't find anything.

You could email them and ask. They respond within a day or two.

Phuqu
05-15-2008, 12:28 AM
The United States does not recognize a Canadian Pardon.

rinny
05-15-2008, 12:38 AM
He can apply for a pardon all he wants but like Phuqu said, its no use. Depending on if he was a youth or an adult, he may have some leeway. If hes adult with a drug charge, highly highly doubt he'll get in. A youth? Maybe, but wait 5 years without another conviction and you MAY get in...its always up to the border guard...

dragonone
05-15-2008, 12:55 AM
yes u can get in, depending on behavior for the past few years
call the office and get the required documents from both the cps and the... i'm guessing the us embassy?

don't guess on if ur gonna get in or not, figure it out b4 u go and get a straight answer from the officials

Mixalot27
05-15-2008, 05:40 AM
Heres some good info on it:

http://www.johnhoward.ab.ca/PUB/A5.htm#The

Some countries, like the United States, may require a person to get a travel waiver. Travel waivers are documents that allow persons with criminal records to travel to the United States. Waivers can be obtained at the Department of U.S. Immigration located in the Edmonton and Calgary International Airports or at any border crossing. The processing cost is $120 U.S. The waiver is good for five years. If there are questions about travel waivers, the U.S. Immigration Department can be contacted at both international airports (see contact numbers at the end of this document). It takes six to nine months to process a waiver.

Since the United States and some other foreign countries have access to the CPIC system, customs officials use the CPIC system to determine whether individuals have criminal records. If a person has a criminal record and/or travel waiver, U.S. Customs will enter the person's criminal record information into their own system - where it will stay indefinitely. If a person tries to enter the U.S. in the future, regardless of whether he or she has received a pardon, Customs officials will have the criminal record documented in their system.

Canadian pardons do not have legal force outside of Canada. The United States is not compelled to destroy their copy of the record when a Canadian pardons is granted. This means that if U.S. customs have previously entered a person's name into their own system, they would have that person's criminal record even though the record would no longer appear on CPIC. In such cases, people with a pardon may also wish to consider applying for a travel waiver.

So basically it might not be the best idea to travel to the States while you have a criminal record. If you do US customs will always have the info about your criminal records in their systems. Where as if you don't attempt to enter the States until you have a pardon, they will never k now you ever had a criminal record.

There are lots of other Countries who could give two shits about criminal records such as Cuba, Dominican, Jamaica, etc. Your buddy might want to check one of those out instead.

1-Bar
05-15-2008, 08:29 AM
^exactly what I've been told. If you can get your pardon before you cross you're good to go. But if you have to tell them you have a criminal background, that stays on the US record even after you get your pardon.

Kaos
05-15-2008, 08:47 AM
I never knew it would take that long to process a waiver!
Wow, thanks for the heads up.
Looks like I was right and bad for him since he can't go to Vegas :devil:

Thanks for all the replies guys! :thumbsup: