PDA

View Full Version : Best Chinese food in Calgary

Pages : [1] 2

LadyTurbo
05-16-2008, 11:59 AM
I can find all the info in the world on Thai and Viet food on here, but what about Chinese? Some places are brutal, and others seem to be pretty good... but where can I find the best Chinese food in Calgary??

dj_rice
05-16-2008, 12:04 PM
U And Me
Sun Chui Kee (sp?) by Lamda Market
Bobby Chao's

And I'll throw this out there for a certain member
Peking Peking

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/152625/authentic-chinese-food/

:closed: :repost:

Kloubek
05-16-2008, 12:06 PM
I don't know what it's called, but it's good stuff. Located just East of Market Mall behind a gas station. I think you turn south on Varsity and it's right there.

ExtraSlow
05-16-2008, 12:18 PM
For white man chinese food in the north, emerald garden on 16th ave and 9th street NW.
I've enjoyed bobby chao's and Gee Gong in chinatown.

Ben
05-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Max Boost INC FTMFW!!!!!!

hahaha

TaiChino
05-16-2008, 01:24 PM
U and Me is good but avoid their Dim Sum. Fucking awful. Couldn't even eat the sticky rice. Thats bad. But surprisingly the rest of the menu is great. Go figure. I always liked Harbour City on Center st. Chinatown, but as of late I have been disappointed.

Emerald Palace in Castleridge NE is pretty good. Kinda racist in there though, lol. They have two menus, one with a lot of traditional authentic Chinese, the other with your standard white chinese, ginger beef, chicken balls, sweet & sour pork, etc. My white buddy and I went in there and he got one menu with a fork and I got the other with chopsticks. Fuckin funny.

rc2002
05-16-2008, 01:49 PM
I have yet to taste good Chinese food in Calgary.

There's no consistency either - a restaurant that is ok one week will taste terrible the next.

TaiChino
05-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
There's no consistency either - a restaurant that is ok one week will taste terrible the next.

Sad but true

88CRX
05-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Ginger Beef House :thumbsup:

HybridTheory
05-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Gong Kee in Forest Lawn, it's ghetto but it's good.

U and Me is all right for when you have a Chinese food craving after the bar

SkittleFreak
05-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Ginger beef house for derivery, and Empress Restaraunt for buffet

TaiChino
05-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by HybridTheory
Gong Kee in Forest Lawn, it's ghetto but it's good.

Seriously, why is it that the restaurants that you are sure would never pass a health inspection and would never allow you to see their kitchen always have great tasting food? One of life's mysteries.

analbumcover
05-16-2008, 02:12 PM
Choices near signal hill

GQBalla
05-16-2008, 02:13 PM
golden inn

salt and pepper squid from ho won

max_boost
05-16-2008, 02:19 PM
My current favorite place is Happy Hill. Reasonably priced, quick service and very generous portions! :drool:

Lt247
05-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Leo Fu's is the best chinese spot in calgary in my opinion.
just off of mcleod by dennys near chinook.

aklalani
05-16-2008, 02:25 PM
nothing beats SILVER DRAGON.

second is golden inn.

but damn silver dragon is amazing. Palace style chicken, sate beef and chicken/beef chow mein.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

max_boost
05-16-2008, 03:20 PM
Just want to add, what kind of Chinese food do you like? Every place is going to be a bit different, hard to say any one place is 'the best' Everyone has their favorites.

Western style: Ginger beef, chicken balls, sweet & sour pork etc.
Traditional style: Steamed fish, lobster, crispy chicken, jelly fish etc.
HK cafe style: Variety of noodles & rice, curry, satay dishes, lo mein, chow fun, milk tea, lemon tea etc.
or Dim sum? BBQ meats? Hot Pots?

HybridTheory
05-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by TaiChino

Seriously, why is it that the restaurants that you are sure would never pass a health inspection and would never allow you to see their kitchen always have great tasting food? One of life's mysteries.

Lol so true. I've had that stuff tons of times and I haven't got sick yet. It is one of lifes great mysteries.

TaiChino
05-16-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Just want to add, what kind of Chinese food do you like? Every place is going to be a bit different, hard to say any one place is 'the best' Everyone has their favorites.

Western style: Ginger beef, chicken balls, sweet & sour pork etc.
Traditional style: Steamed fish, lobster, crispy chicken, jelly fish etc.
HK cafe style: Variety of noodles & rice, curry, satay dishes, lo mein, chow fun, milk tea, lemon tea etc.
or Dim sum? BBQ meats? Hot Pots?

Very good call. +1 for Silver Dragon for traditional as well.
Also there is a good little noodle house just behind the old Contemporary. Gong kee on 17th ghetto land SE is good for BBQ

LadyTurbo
05-16-2008, 03:45 PM
I've gotta say I'm definitely a fan of Western style Chinese food. Ginger beef, chow mein, sweet and sour pork... I'm white, what can I say?? :dunno:

Roger Moore
05-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Lt247
Leo Fu's is the best chinese spot in calgary in my opinion.
just off of mcleod by dennys near chinook.

+1 Been going there for 10 years in a row for new years day dinner, never had a bad experience. And they serve "chineese water"! :thumbsup:

rc2002
05-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

salt and pepper squid from ho won

:drool:

That's one thing that's been consistently good for the last 20 years.

dannie
05-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Charlie Chans in Kensington. I have yet to be disappointed in anything I have ordered. Plus, it is fairly consistant

l/l/rX
05-16-2008, 05:05 PM
golden inn dishes that aren't on the menu are the best!!! hahaha

theres been a few times where we just tell the waiter 3 dishes of something thats not on the menu. and they've turned out to be fucking fantastic!

i also like the place on 16th ave across from bubbles and ice bar...i want to call it emerald garden?

01RedDX
05-16-2008, 06:53 PM

Amysicle
05-16-2008, 07:04 PM
+2 for Silver Dragon, especially their dim sum.

There's place in the NW called Shanghai Palace that does good Westernized Chinese food, good prices, good portions and fast delivery. And it's consistant!

My friend loooooves going to U & Me for the dim sum, but I just can't eat it there.

drtoohotty1
05-16-2008, 07:26 PM
My favorite western style is golden leaf down on the corner by Mount Royal across from 7 11 soooooooo good and really nice people but for more traditional I love silver dragon

Team_Mclaren
05-16-2008, 07:50 PM
Sun Chui Kee is the best real chinese restaurant in Calgary. And this is coming from a fob. I'm there like.. 3 times a week.:rofl:

max_boost
05-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
golden inn dishes that aren't on the menu are the best!!! hahaha

theres been a few times where we just tell the waiter 3 dishes of something thats not on the menu. and they've turned out to be fucking fantastic!

i also like the place on 16th ave across from bubbles and ice bar...i want to call it emerald garden?

Golden Inn is not bad but portions are smaller and more expensive than Happy Hill.

The place across from Bubbles is called Eastern Fortune I think. Emerald Garden is across from SAIT.

JordanEG6
05-16-2008, 11:08 PM
Happy Hill
Golden Inn
Ho Won

and Cheung's Garden is also one of my favorites. Ask for the special menu.

ZigZagZ
05-16-2008, 11:50 PM
Banzaiiiiiiiiiii :D
Really good food and it's located at southland.

dj_rice
05-17-2008, 01:58 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
Sun Chui Kee is the best real chinese restaurant in Calgary. And this is coming from a fob. I'm there like.. 3 times a week.:rofl:

Just came home from there :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

gqmw
05-17-2008, 02:16 AM
Pebble Street?

WiltonKillz
05-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Its all about Cherry Inn
Best of the best honestly I highly recemend it guys!
If you have it once you'll want it everyday !

Quickstrike
05-17-2008, 12:01 PM
Leo Fu's is pretty decent.

Among the best Chinese food I have eaten.

rice_balls
05-17-2008, 12:16 PM
That one is called Peking Garden, its not bad there... the one near superstore on country hills blvd and sarcee trail called Shanghai palace is pretty good

Originally posted by Kloubek
I don't know what it's called, but it's good stuff. Located just East of Market Mall behind a gas station. I think you turn south on Varsity and it's right there.

compton
05-17-2008, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

What do you order when you go there, or any chinese restaurant? I am a pale face, but I can't stand white-man chinese food any more (no BBQ pork, chow mein, chicken balls, lemon chicken or ginger beef for me, thanks.)

dj_rice
05-17-2008, 02:54 PM
I always get Beef Fried Ho Fan in XO Sauce, anything in XO Sauce :thumbsup:

GQBalla
05-17-2008, 05:29 PM
+1 for the place across from bubbles!

suen17
05-17-2008, 05:31 PM
+1 for the place across from bubbles!

They make terrible congee. Otherwise yup +1

Jynx
05-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Silver Dragon hands down

Amazing service which is so hard to find in any ethnic restaurant and solid food!

Sorath
05-17-2008, 06:41 PM
for buffet prob peking peking ahahahaha <3 sam.

for dim sum probably forbidden city for me, i used to like the restaurant underneath cultural center, but they shut down awhile ago.

for dinner, i used to go to happy hill for food but after the last time i went there for dim sum, i had a hair in every plate of my food and we didnt want to leave a tip, but the lady got furious and told us to leave her a tip, so we did. but my friend got so pissed off he called the health inspector on that place. and i guess they shut down for 2 months lol... that place in the NE by falcon ridge emerald palace or whatever? last time i went there it was pretty good i thought. cheap too.

for late night snack i`d have to go with sun chiu kee. i love ordering oyster porridge for 7.50 at 12 midnight :D ahaha

rice_balls
05-17-2008, 07:23 PM
I used to go to happy hill also but the last time i went the service was so terrible and the food really sucked... So we didn't leave any tip and the waitresses were muttering something in their language to each other while looking at us, and she even demanded for some tip.... oh well I don't really care for rude people

Originally posted by Sorath

for dinner, i used to go to happy hill for food but after the last time i went there for dim sum, i had a hair in every plate of my food and we didnt want to leave a tip, but the lady got furious and told us to leave her a tip, so we did. but my friend got so pissed off he called the health inspector on that place. and i guess they shut down for 2 months lol... that place in the NE by falcon ridge emerald palace or whatever? last time i went there it was pretty good i thought. cheap too.

frozenrice
05-17-2008, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by ZigZagZ

You're kidding right?

Weapon_R
05-17-2008, 08:22 PM
Peking Peking for western style food and great service by a fellow beyonder :D

dragonone
05-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by LadyTurbo
I can find all the info in the world on Thai and Viet food on here, but what about Chinese? Some places are brutal, and others seem to be pretty good... but where can I find the best Chinese food in Calgary??

are you caucasian or a banana?

dj_rice
05-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by dragonone

are you an egg or a banana?

Corrected

Kritafo
05-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Happy Hill...I love Happy Valley but they put their BBQ duck in steamers at the Happy Hill location and it's not all crisp and delightful like Happy Valley.

I still like Calgary Court for congee.

Don't like that place up near superstore in the NW squid and seafood dishes are always questionable. When we do seafood we go to harbor city.

Dim Sum in Calgary I find is hit and miss.

I will ask this again...anyone know if Peking Garden in Varsity is the same owners as the one that was on 17th ave? They had the best mussels in black bean sauce in town.

szw
05-18-2008, 08:53 AM
Hey does anywhere in calgary serve fried chilli turnip cake? I guess its a singapore dish (they call it carrot cake), but they serve it in most chinese restaurants in Toronto.

Anyway its freaking delicious but I never saw it in Calgary. I tried to post a pic but google images is being blocked for me .....you can google "congee queen fried turnip cake".....so hungry right now

dj_rice
05-18-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by szw
Hey does anywhere in calgary serve fried chilli turnip cake? I guess its a singapore dish (they call it carrot cake), but they serve it in most chinese restaurants in Toronto.

Anyway its freaking delicious but I never saw it in Calgary. I tried to post a pic but google images is being blocked for me .....you can google &quot;congee queen fried turnip cake&quot;.....so hungry right now

I've had it before I think, is the texture really soft??

GQBalla
05-18-2008, 03:03 PM
ahh lo bak go

its like made from dai kon radish.

very yummy! my mom makes it the best. you can basically get it anywhere from any place that serves dimsum

szw
05-20-2008, 10:25 AM
ahh lo bak go

its like made from dai kon radish.

very yummy! my mom makes it the best. you can basically get it anywhere from any place that serves dimsum

Yes its lo bak go but it doesn't really taste similar at all to the kind you get at dimsum.

Yes its a lot mushier too.

http://static.flickr.com/93/245496844_d53d69faef.jpg

The regular stuff: http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3636/turnipcakegz2.png

bobby_lu
05-20-2008, 11:04 AM
None, drive west till you hit water.

GQBalla
05-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by szw

Yes its lo bak go but it doesn't really taste similar at all to the kind you get at dimsum.

Yes its a lot mushier too.

http://static.flickr.com/93/245496844_d53d69faef.jpg

The regular stuff: http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3636/turnipcakegz2.png

ahhh i see, i dont think ive had the mushier stuff before.

Lagerstatten.ca
05-20-2008, 11:23 AM
For Szechuan Style, I highly recommend "Dragon Pearl" in Inglewood (on the same block as the old Loose Moose Theatre).

They're doing reno's right now til May 25th, 2008. I'd recommend the following dishes:

- Tomato and Shrimp sizzling rice
- Mandarin Pork
- Hot & Sour Soup
- Extra Crispy Pan Fried Dumplings...so good!

Decent pricing, quick service, friendly staff, small & quiet.

TaiChino
05-20-2008, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Jynx
Silver Dragon hands down

Amazing service which is so hard to find in any ethnic restaurant and solid food!

Always have loved it there, did you find the Banff location to be a little sub-par?

TaiChino
05-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Lagerstatten.ca
For Szechuan Style, I highly recommend &quot;Dragon Pearl&quot; in Inglewood (on the same block as the old Loose Moose Theatre).

They're doing reno's right now til May 25th, 2008. I'd recommend the following dishes:

- Tomato and Shrimp sizzling rice
- Mandarin Pork
- Hot &amp; Sour Soup
- Extra Crispy Pan Fried Dumplings...so good!

Decent pricing, quick service, friendly staff, small &amp; quiet.

I have to check it out. Hot and sour soup can be so hit and miss, even at the same location half the time. Hard to find good stuff.

LadyTurbo
05-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Looks like I have some taste testing to do!

blinkme_210
05-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Sun Chui Kee +5 or however many times it has been already; can't beat their da lung menu.

frozenrice
05-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Funny how you can tell who the white people are here.

dj_rice
05-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Although I'm Nammer, I like my Honger restaurants

Kritafo
05-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by frozenrice

yeah....well. I know just as many Asians that won't eat Asian style food. Freaks me out. But you have to admit us whities are very willing to experiment with food.

bighead2267
05-20-2008, 09:33 PM
all the resturant that own by taste of Asia is herrible. they are dirty like no tomorrow. i got diarea everytime i eat there.

TomcoPDR
05-20-2008, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by ZigZagZ
+1 that place is nice, I usually get those Bento lunch boxes

If you like buffet style try Treasures of China on Macleod Trail South (by Rona), my connections tell me they're under new management with more varity and higher quality, without increasing price much...

I was told the ex-owner is working at Tim Hortons now. Maybe they were just kiddy-ing or he just need the low wage T4 till he drains the retained earnings. Who knows.

ExtraSlow
05-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by bighead2267
all the resturant that own by taste of Asia is herrible. they are dirty like no tomorrow. i got diarea everytime i eat there.
After the first couple times, you went back?

LadyLuck
05-20-2008, 10:53 PM
just got back from hong chou on 17th just after 52nd street, been going there for years

their shanghai noodles are to die for!

bighead2267
05-20-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

After the first couple times, you went back?

most of the time i need to go is due to family request. i will never dine in any of this place if i have option

Sorath
05-21-2008, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by szw

Anyway its freaking delicious but I never saw it in Calgary. I tried to post a pic but google images is being blocked for me .....you can google &quot;congee queen fried turnip cake&quot;.....so hungry right now

best place ive had for that is dong khan in the NE, its kinda by the macs by 16th ave and 19th st

dragonone
05-21-2008, 08:25 PM
man looking in this thread for advice is:barf: :barf:

and lo bak goh can be pan fried, steamed, and stir-fried

dj_rice
05-21-2008, 08:47 PM

and lo bak goh can be pan fried, steamed, and stir-fried

Pfftt my selections were good :whipped:

dragonone
05-21-2008, 11:27 PM
ok fine....

U&Me - only congee is alright, everything else i don't like

sun chiu kee - i agree, it's pretty decent, and the cook is very consistent. however, they use way too much msg, their bbq stuff went downhill compared to 2 years ago, and their service is absolutely the worst in the chinese community. i can think of a ton of examples, if you don't agree, feel free to continue to eat there. i still frequent there several times a week, because the location and parking is too convenient, but in no way is it a good experience in my book

bobby chao's - it's good. it was better when it was smaller in the SE when bobby cooked himself. he hired buncha cooks from china now 'cause it's so much bigger. it's not bad, just not as good or doesn't have as much care and detail

i have my own favorites but there's no way you can have the food that i sometimes have 'cause i know the owner very well. i've had rabbit soup, potato(yam?) leaves (tastes like any regular green vegetable), and tonight i had fish jaw

obviously my exp. in chinese food cannot compare to those who frequent vancouver, hk, or even china. but for sure calgary's a joke

anyhow, the suggestions dj_rice made are def. the best in calgary

Chandler_Racing
05-22-2008, 12:02 AM
Imperial Palace :drool:

GQBalla
05-22-2008, 08:41 AM

what advice is gross?

szw
05-22-2008, 09:07 AM
lol at the "potato(yam?) leaves (tastes like any regular green vegetable)"

TomcoPDR
05-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Hey OP have you found a Chinese place to munch on your favorite beef meaty spring rolls yet?

Sorath
05-28-2008, 11:15 PM
i like pho88 imo they have the best springs in town

nj2Type-S
05-29-2008, 07:26 AM
there's this place called "brothers" in bridlewood. i actually like their food and i'm not really a fan of chinese food.

bighead2267
05-29-2008, 01:48 PM
The advice is really not useful for oriental at all. but it's good for white ppl who want real chinese food.

what advice is gross?

SilverRex
05-29-2008, 02:51 PM
I forgot the name but for athentic chinese, the one on 16ave near peter's drive in

dragonone
05-29-2008, 11:25 PM
dong loi shun
cho choi goon

TomcoPDR
05-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
there's this place called &quot;brothers&quot; in bridlewood. i actually like their food and i'm not really a fan of chinese food.

Hong Kong Garden down the street in Shawnessy has crisper ginger beef. :drool:

nj2Type-S
05-30-2008, 07:20 AM
^oh yeah....we were thinking of trying that place out...but we're too lazy to drive an extra 3 mins to go to shawnessy, hahah :D

spyce
05-30-2008, 08:20 AM
definitely bobby chaos for me :drool:

Quizzes
05-30-2008, 08:39 AM
The OP mentioned she liked Western-style Chinese food, right?

I think Cherry Inn in Huntington has the best kinda ginger beef, fried rice etc. The chicken wings are the best there!

ExtraSlow
05-30-2008, 08:46 AM
My brother just loves Cherry Inn, he's been eating there at least once a week for the last five years or so.
It is kind of "western", but it's damm tasty.

Expiredsoda
06-11-2008, 02:49 PM
The Golden Inn.

analbumcover
06-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Peking Peking

(max_boost's restaurant)

i have people at work begging me to order it for leftovers at lunch the next day :thumbsup:

huge portions
great taste
excellent price
amazing service

wtf else do you want?

dj_rice
06-11-2008, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by analbumcover
Peking Peking

(max_boost's restaurant)

i have people at work begging me to order it for leftovers at lunch the next day :thumbsup:

huge portions
great taste
excellent price
amazing service

wtf else do you want?

I wish they delivered to my area....:cry: :cry:

Tik-Tok
06-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Peking Peking

(max_boost's restaurant)

huge portions
great taste
excellent price
amazing service

wtf else do you want?

I'm gonna have to try his place sometime soon, I only live one neighborhood west of it, and my usual place is letting me down recently.

aaronck
06-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

I wish they delivered to my area....:cry: :cry:

I used to drive there even though they don't deliver to my area..until they stopped the free entree for over $40 purchase...

heavyD
06-13-2008, 03:28 PM
Peking Peking

(max_boost's restaurant)

huge portions
great taste
excellent price
amazing service

wtf else do you want?

Where is it?

dj_rice
06-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

Where is it?

232, 8338 - 18 Street S.E.
(Riverbend Shopping Centre)

* We will be closed for summer vacation from July 7th - 20th and will re-open Monday July 21st during regular business hours. Thank you.

LadyTurbo
06-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Hong Kong Garden down the street in Shawnessy has crisper ginger beef. :drool:

+1 for the ginger beef at Hong Kong Garden. Super good, but mediocore chow mein.

The Ginger House in the NW has AMAZING ginger chicken.

There has to be a place out there with good EVERYTHING... :dunno:

dj_rice
06-13-2008, 03:41 PM

+1 for the ginger beef at Hong Kong Garden. Super good, but mediocore chow mein.

The Ginger House in the NW has AMAZING ginger chicken.

There has to be a place out there with good EVERYTHING... :dunno:

:barf: :barf: :barf:

You should change the thread of this to White Style Oriental Food, theres no such thing as Ginger Beef in Chinese cuisine...just FYI

LadyTurbo
06-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

:barf: :barf: :barf:

You should change the thread of this to White Style Oriental Food, theres no such thing as Ginger Beef in Chinese cuisine...just FYI

Pretty sure I said "Western-style"...

dj_rice
06-13-2008, 04:00 PM

Pretty sure I said &quot;Western-style&quot;...

But anywayz rock on

Anyone been to Charly Chans?I've seen their ad and they've been reviewed twice now in the Herald...wondering if its worth a trip

And....did someone delete their response for fear of advertising?:rofl: :rofl:

LadyTurbo
06-13-2008, 04:06 PM
I've gotta say I'm definitely a fan of Western style Chinese food. Ginger beef, chow mein, sweet and sour pork... I'm white, what can I say?? :dunno:

:dunno:

legendboy
06-16-2008, 10:22 AM
So where exactly is Bobby Chaos Restaurant?

In some hotel?

dj_rice
06-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by legendboy
So where exactly is Bobby Chaos Restaurant?

In some hotel?

In Chinatown, beside U & Me on Centre St