PDA

View Full Version : How to test wastegate

Redlyne_mr2
05-18-2008, 12:42 AM
Have a feeling my wg isnt working properly, how do I test it? Any shops in town do it?

Thanks

forced_eg
05-18-2008, 02:16 AM
more info... whats happening???

Supa Dexta
05-18-2008, 09:13 AM
External or internal? There's how to's and video's on youtube about testing them.

Redlyne_mr2
05-18-2008, 09:53 AM
sorry guys, its an external.. couldnt find the youtube vids. Basically the car is just overboosting, I dont think the wastegate is controlling the boost at all. It almost seems that the waste gate is opening later as well because it takes some time before I see boost. it may just be because of the turbo Im running but Id like to check the wg to make sure everything is working right.

Supa Dexta
05-18-2008, 10:12 AM
You need a controllable pressure source>

6TlcIe0BRVY

What are you running for a boost controller? I would think that may be your problem more then a faulty wastegate, since it if it were bad it would leak. Not stay closed longer. The spring decides that, nothing else except the controller has the ability to prevent it from opening.

crxcel
05-18-2008, 09:05 PM
vacumm leak?

Annoyingrob
06-04-2008, 01:07 AM
What you need is an air source, an air pressure gauge, and ideally a regulator.

The simplest would be a bike pump. Hook the pump up to the vacuum line on the wastegate, and start pumping. Keep note of the pressure that the wastegate starts opening, and at what pressure it fully opens.

If it appears to be opening when it should, then start looking at your installation. Dual port wastegates confuse a lot of people., ESPECIALLY when you start hooking a boost controller up to them.

legendboy
06-04-2008, 10:41 AM
go buy an elcheapo pnumatic regulator (< $20) and throw some fittings on it, put some air on your wg