PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys, I'm just looking for a little advice.

gqmw
05-18-2008, 01:33 AM
As a high school student graduating this year, I decided to apply online for a summer job. I applied at the following company:

http://www.vectormarketing.com/

I applied online and left them my number, called them to leave a message because it was past working hours. The following day, they returned my call. I have a scheduled interview on monday. It just seems a little fishy and I'm still not quite sure what the company does and what they're hiring us to do.

I'm just wondering if you guys could help me check out the site and give me some feedback on whether or not this seems to be a legit company.

The address they gave me for the interview is
1330 15 Avenue SW (#117), Calgary, AB

They told me:

We are in the same building as the Subway, Pizza 73, Starbucks and Yoga Studio. We are located on the 2nd floor.

Once at our building, we are in the strip mall with the office and retail area not the apartment building, come to the end of the strip mall where it says "Office Entrance" on the sign above the doorway. It is the door beside the hair salon.
Please enter *3872 to let yourself in. We are up the stairs and the second door on the right.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: What I found fishy was the $16.85/hr. pay they're offering, but they didn't specify as to what the job specifications would be.

D'z Nutz
05-18-2008, 02:07 AM
Vector Marketing - Sales Firm for Cutco Cutlery

Sounds like you're gonna be a knife salesman!

icetraycnb
05-18-2008, 02:13 AM
I had a few friends who worked with Vector and what they did was sell ridiculously overpriced knives that nobody would actually buy. They were paid solely off commission so they didn't make very much at all.

I have no idea about the $16.85/hr so it might be a different job they have available.

~Leah~
05-18-2008, 02:26 AM
Go to the red search button at the top of the page.

Type in "vector and marketing" without the quotes. Change the time frame to any. Read said threads and decide for yourself. The $16.85 is per appointment for a person you annoy the hell out of to try to sell them knives.

bashir26
05-18-2008, 02:36 AM
Its network marketing at its best. Its $16.85 per appointment. No appointment no cash. They also do not give you a client list, you have to ask your friends parents if they want to dish out $1300 on 8 knifes.

gqmw
05-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks for the heads up, I checked out those threads
and google searched Vector Marketing Scam.
I'm still kinda interested on how they convince you to work for them
so maybe I'll go in for the interview if I have time.

jmc
05-18-2008, 12:01 PM
I guess if you have time then go for the experience; you might sit thru a presentation, and a short interview... These days, I think you can get something better...

jay42w8
05-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Some people actually do well at this, I went through World Health Club's training and the trainer is their top seller and the guy started his Sales career with Vector and did really well so don't write it off, I'm sure he's annoyed the hell out of all his family and friends though, lol...but that's part of being a salesman, getting the sale no matter how much of a douchebag it makes you.....I personally have never been approached by a Cutco salesperson but I don't care how damn good a salesman you, there is no way in hell you can convince that I need to buy this shit.

badatusrnames
05-18-2008, 06:01 PM
Any job ad that is so vague and short on details should be a warning sign, it's that way intentionally.

88jbody
05-18-2008, 06:05 PM
yeah not worth the headaches for that kind of work.

gqmw
05-18-2008, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by 88jbody
yeah not worth the headaches for that kind of work.

yeah definitely not.
scratch that, I won't be going in.
they want me to go in on a holiday,
what kind of company works on victoria day..

~Leah~
05-18-2008, 07:36 PM
I think they're US based... so they probably get next Mon off, but I dunno. Either way, I'd stay away

rmk
05-18-2008, 08:15 PM
Uhm, what does the punch code for the door have to do with this business? Nice... :rolleyes:

broken_legs
05-19-2008, 10:45 AM
It was a scam in 1998 when I was lured into an "interview"

and its still a scam today.

RUN

kaishen
05-19-2008, 10:48 AM
the name itself sounds like a multilevel marketing

gqmw
05-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by rmk
Uhm, what does the punch code for the door have to do with this business? Nice... :rolleyes:

What does your comment have to do with helping this thread? nice...:banghead:

fyi: I just copied off the email and didn't delete out some parts.

copynpaste
05-19-2008, 05:47 PM
This place is a joke, cant believe theyre still around...sick of seeing their BS ads all over the place.

thrasher22
05-20-2008, 02:08 AM
Campus' should ban their marketing. They're a legit company (though not one I'd ever work for) but they plaster ads around Mt Royal, and last year they were actually standing outside one of my exams trying to recruit people when they came out. I wanted to 'cutco' them.

Altezza
05-20-2008, 02:35 AM
Cutco? haha, I know someone who worked for them as a summer job. She didn't sell any knives (except to her family), and she even cut herself while doing a demo at someone's house. Tried convincing them that only a sharp knife could cut as cleanly as it did, ROFL.

gqmw
05-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Altezza
Tried convincing them that only a sharp knife could cut as cleanly as it did, ROFL.

LOL that's horrible. Yeah, this company shouldn't even be allowed to advertise at schools.

riced
05-20-2008, 11:18 PM
I remember way back when I was pulled into this.

It's weird because all you do is give some information like your name, number and address and they call you right away. They do everything, it's almost like they want you REAL bad.
They make an appointment, they're really nice, they tell you where to go etc etc..

I got up to the point where I had an appointment for the next day, I did research on them and came up with what a lot of people are talking about and decided to just skip the interview and find a better job.
They called back, wanted to know why I missed it and automatically scheduled another appointment without my permission. Weird.. but I never went back and I never got a third call.

They're so sketchy.. around campus at MRC, they don't show that they're vector marketing.. instead they mask it as "workforstudents" and even on the website, if you don't look carefully, it won't tell you it's vector until it's too late.

:banghead:

Tomaz
05-21-2008, 03:12 PM
Do not work for them, i have had frineds get suckered into these high-pressure situations that they really don't care about selling knifes. Just go out and get a plain-jane job and try and stay away from stuff like that. And Primerica... i really dislike them too.