PDA

View Full Version : Question about MTB forks

G-ZUS
05-18-2008, 03:41 PM
I recently acquired a GT Palomar Bike with a non-suspension fork in the front. I want to add suspension to the front, are front forks interchangeable between bikes? or would I need something specific to the bike?

Ben
05-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Forks are not interchangeable. I recommend taking your bike to a reputable dealer (Bow Cycle, Calgary Cycle, Bike Path) and have them measure the diameter of your head tube (1", 1" 1/4, or 1" 1/8 I believe), as well as the required length. It needs to be bang on. It's like seat post diameters, gotta get the right one or it wont work. If the fork you add has too short of a neck, you'll be unable to mount your headset back onto your bike, thus no handlebars. if it's not the right diameter, it'll rock too and fro, or not fit at all, and suck, haha.

Cheers.

G-ZUS
05-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Ben
Forks are not interchangeable. I recommend taking your bike to a reputable dealer (Bow Cycle, Calgary Cycle, Bike Path) and have them measure the diameter of your head tube (1", 1" 1/4, or 1" 1/8 I believe), as well as the required length. It needs to be bang on. It's like seat post diameters, gotta get the right one or it wont work. If the fork you add has too short of a neck, you'll be unable to mount your headset back onto your bike, thus no handlebars. if it's not the right diameter, it'll rock too and fro, or not fit at all, and suck, haha.

Cheers.

Thanks alot I will take it to a bike shop this week.. How about pedals is there different diameters for them? From looking online, I noticed most of them are 9/16?

rmk
05-18-2008, 04:15 PM
You should post this in the mountain bike thread in the sports section, where all the bikers are. As the other user has said, Bow Cycle will hook you up. Rabbit in the tech dept. has always been super helpful there, but they are all good guys.

98type_r
05-19-2008, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

Thanks alot I will take it to a bike shop this week.. How about pedals is there different diameters for them? From looking online, I noticed most of them are 9/16?

pedals are pretty much standard with the exception of kids and some bmx bikes.