PDA

View Full Version : Need to buy financial calculator...BA II Plus or BA II Professional?

Pacman
05-18-2008, 08:09 PM
My wife is studying for the CFA Level 1 exam. She may continue on to do the Level 2 and Level 3....but she's not 100% sure at this point.

Does anyone have any experience with both the Texas Instruments BA-II Plus and the BA-II Professional?

Is the Professional worth the extra money?

Are there any disadvantages to getting the Professional?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

She is not interested in any of the HP calculators at this point, as she does not like using RPN notation.

Thanks,
James

Celica TVS3
05-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Both are fine, but having bought the BAII Plus, I wish i would have bought the Pro.

As far as features they are pretty close, The Pro has payback period calculations built in, the BAII does not. Not a big deal but it is one less formula she'll have to worry about forgeting.

The Pro, also its a little nicer on the desk, mine doesn't lay flat and rocks when i push the buttons. Again, no big deal, but if you've got the extra 10-15 bucks go with the Pro. (If cash is tight, either will do).

I wish her the best on her exam - the truth is it's not as hard as people claim, its simply a matter of putting in the time to cover the material.

Pacman
05-19-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks very much for the detailed response.

From what you know, does the Professional model use the same keystrokes in the same order to solve problems as the "Plus"? Or is it a totally different calculator?

The only concern I would have, is if my wife is studying with some other students who all have the "Plus" and she has the "Pro"......is the input on the "professional" calculator going to be much different if they are all trying to solve problems together?

The cost difference is really not an issue.

Thanks,
James

Originally posted by Celica TVS3
Both are fine, but having bought the BAII Plus, I wish i would have bought the Pro.

As far as features they are pretty close, The Pro has payback period calculations built in, the BAII does not. Not a big deal but it is one less formula she'll have to worry about forgeting.

The Pro, also its a little nicer on the desk, mine doesn't lay flat and rocks when i push the buttons. Again, no big deal, but if you've got the extra 10-15 bucks go with the Pro. (If cash is tight, either will do).

I wish her the best on her exam - the truth is it's not as hard as people claim, its simply a matter of putting in the time to cover the material.

Celica TVS3
05-20-2008, 06:32 AM
That won't be an issue, all the key's are the same. But once you are in some of the functions you can scroll down further in the Pro.

Pacman
05-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Celica TVS3
That won't be an issue, all the key's are the same. But once you are in some of the functions you can scroll down further in the Pro.

Perfect, thanks for all of your help.

James