PDA

View Full Version : Hard to get a job!

05-18-2008, 10:48 PM
So ive been out of school since may, graduated SAIT with a diploma in management.

I have applied at almost 30 differant companies since then, and not even a phone call back, (spare the few bullshit scams from monster).

Any other SAIT grads hard up finding a job?

Anyway can you guys post up the differant companies that you all work for, so i can fire off my resume to them as well?

Thanks.

icecreamvan
05-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Have you tried temping for a bit? Maybe apply for some entry level filing sort of positions to get your foot in the door?

05-18-2008, 10:58 PM
Like that manpower company type deal?

im not to familiar with temp agencies

Whiley
05-18-2008, 10:59 PM
it seems lots of hr people on holidays maybe? :dunno:
ive noticed most companies now you have to really dig in, find out the hr persons name to send directly to, other than just the generic hr email
it pisses me off how many dont respond (in any way) or return calls, even after initial interview, i think that part is pretty rude
maybe re-apply to the same places & follow up calls make a difference too
good luck

schurchill39
05-18-2008, 11:00 PM
Yea I hate how no one calls anymore to let you know whats going on any more. Give them about a week or so after you drop them off and then call to do a follow up. If I wouldnt have done that I wouldnt have a job right now!

nissanK
05-18-2008, 11:09 PM
I'm a co-op student from SAIT for IT right now. The job hunt was a bitch cuz everyone is looking for something I wasn't trained in.

Nobody wants to take a chance with a new grad/student. They want for experience and then bitch that they can't find anyone to fill positions.I applied to about a dozen co-op positions. Had only three interviews. Thank god I got hired though.

Temp agencies will generally put on a contracted position for a set amount of time. It's good for entry level to get your name out there and get some experience just to get your foot in the door.

Good luck with the job hunt. :thumbsup:

finboy
05-18-2008, 11:50 PM
temp for a while, build some experience, then apply places.

i've used "office team" (also known as account temps) and bowen with a lot of success.

LilDrunkenSmurf
05-19-2008, 12:17 AM
I got a job @ an oil and gas company? I applied on Monster, got a call about 2-4 weeks later, went in for an interview, and got hired. Jr IT Analyst position.

I graduated from SAIT in December, worked sales for a bit (was already in the job before grad). Applied in March, was hired in April.

Make sure you customize your cover letter for every job, even re-write it. Also make sure your resume is geared towards whatever you want (IE IT, management, w/e)

I got lots of offers for sales positions because of my experience.

Make sure you follow up. Call the company, see whats going on, etc. I know some bigger companies with large HR depts are horrible when it comes to calling ppl. I know one person who got he job, and then got an automated "we aren't going to hire you right now" email about 6 weeks after getting hired!

Supa Dexta
05-19-2008, 08:53 AM
You're in the best job market in the country/ if not the continent. You're not trying hard enough, or smart enough.

djayz
05-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
You're in the best job market in the country/ if not the continent. You're not trying hard enough, or smart enough.

:werd: or you just haven't been patient...graduated in may and applied to 30 places. Its still may if you applied in the first week that puts you at 2 weeks of wait time now...give it another week and see who calls.

The_1
05-19-2008, 09:34 AM
what kind of positions are you looking for? Are you applying for all management position?

jmc
05-19-2008, 10:55 AM
While you are doing your own search, you might want to also research which placement agencies accepts new grads, they might be able to help in job hunting...

05-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Graduted in april * not may.

Whiley
05-19-2008, 12:26 PM
i agree with the other replies, but i've found that calling with "i'm returning a call to the hr person in charge of job posting #_______" you can "slip in" and find out the "mystery hr" contacts name, and go from there
sometimes i even say "i couldnt make out thier name on the (imaginary) message", just in order to get the name from reception, from there on i've at least got a start in

even in the large hr depts, there are individuals assigned to/in charge of certain job postings
i've always looked at it in terms, that "my work & persistance" is the only thing getting me past the application stage, and to the interview stage, and then eventually hired

as a minimum, a hardcopy addressed to the right person, in combinatin with the emailed copy, then follow-up, no less than 5-7 days after "just wanting to make sure that application came through clear and legible", which allows then for a bit of small talk, like "has there been a good interest in the posting?" and/or "i'm very interested in the position, as it seems tailor made for me", etc.

the other thing i've noticed, is that the process is a lot slower than it used to be, what used to take a few days-to-week, now is a minimum week-to-month process, just for follow-up with applications

having said all that, job hunting is hard work & blows chunks! :D

TheOneAndOnly
05-19-2008, 12:26 PM
april, not to panic just yet. I graduated last april with a BSc geophysics and took about 6months before I got a related job.

I'm now back on the hunt.

three.eighteen.
05-19-2008, 02:27 PM
applied to over 30 and no responses/offers? then my guess is your resume looks like a high schooler's or your interview skills are so-so

if sait offers any resume help i would suggest going there, or if you have any friends that have degrees in HR to help you

modded46
05-19-2008, 02:30 PM
I applied to 3 places down here and got hired at one of them.. :D

badatusrnames
05-19-2008, 04:24 PM
I've found that sometimes companies can take their sweet time, or will put your resume on file and call when they do have an opening.

I've been called 3-4 months after I've applied for a job and the person on the other end would sound almost surprised that I had found something in the meantime, like I was supposed to be sitting around, waiting specifically for their call.

A few years ago I had put out a ton of resumes in February/March (I realize now that this was maybe a little late) for summer jobs and was getting pretty fed up because I hadn't gotten anything by the end of May, then in the span of a week I got about 8 calls...

It seems that the bigger the company, the longer they can take.

But I agree, temping seems to be a great way to definitely build a resume, get exposure to a wide variety of environments and maybe even get a good reference or a job out of it (never done it personally though).

Super_Geo
05-19-2008, 05:25 PM
I find (in Calgary especially) who you know plays a large part of how long your job hunt lasts.

It never hurts to ask your friends if they know anyone working at the company you're tring to get into. Just make sure that you don't ask people you barely know to vouch for you... if they're comfortable with doing that they'll make the offer.

Even if they don't put in a good word for you they'll still let you know exactly when the company is hiring and who you should contact. Send in a your cover letter and resume, and call the guy a day or two later to follow up. That way you get the guy doing the hiring just as he's working on it, and when you call him let him know that your buddy spoke highly of the company and you think it would be a great fit.

97'Scort
05-20-2008, 02:33 PM
You may have a diploma in "management" but don't expect to get a managerial position with no experience. No company is going to put you in charge of people if you've never done it before. I'd suggest looking for temp agencies and work your way up. Once you get in a position where you are managing staff, then you can broaden your horizons a bit.

I'm surprised, however, that you didn't start looking for jobs before you graduated. I was hired by a design company four months before I graduated.

rmk
05-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
You may have a diploma in "management" but don't expect to get a managerial position with no experience. No company is going to put you in charge of people if you've never done it before. I'd suggest looking for temp agencies and work your way up. Once you get in a position where you are managing staff, then you can broaden your horizons a bit.

I'm surprised, however, that you didn't start looking for jobs before you graduated. I was hired by a design company four months before I graduated.

:werd: to the temping idea. At least there is some money coming in and it can be a great way to make contacts. I found that when i temped for awhile, i had access to the companies internal site and job board.

Start at the bottom filing papers and move up.... (especially with a mgmt diploma) You may get lucky and stay on with whoever you work for temporarily.

Kloubek
05-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Agree with the temping idea. It looks great to have actual field experience. Some companies are edgy hiring someone straight out of school....

gretz
05-20-2008, 03:03 PM
employers want experience - gain entry level exp. first
The company can't trust a manager or someone in a management position if they have never managed, or been anywhere related to the relevant position

SilverGS
05-20-2008, 03:13 PM
Unfortunately the market is not as good as it was last year. Not to say its bad but just not as good.

It may seem rude that you don't get called back but considering how many resume that they get its not an easy task to make sure everyone who sends in a resume is contacted. You usually only get a call if you get an interview. A follow-up call is never a bad idea.

Just handing in your resume just adds it to the pike. You have to make sure your resume is nice and organized well and has the right things in it. Do a google search on some good resumes for post secondary graduates. Many just scan quickly and put it in a second look pile or reject pile. The people doing the hiring usually only get a handful of resume's to go over and choose for interviews.

Try getting in with a consulting company. Yeah they take a big cut but if you if you can get in with them they have ins to many companies.

GL

rage2
05-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
:werd:

Even hiring managers with experience is a sketchy business. The managers that last are the ones that are promoted internally.

05-20-2008, 03:34 PM
Im not trying to get a management position, i have applied for everything from service advisor at a dealership, to a dispatch position.

I have 2 years of management experiance, and 2+ years of automotive industry experiance.

My main complaint about everything and what i was really trying to get at, is the fact people just dont return phone calls anymore, not even to say no.

05-20-2008, 03:35 PM
My resume is not some shitty word template, part of the sait program is proper resume/cover letter building, so im quite sure its not due to the fact it looks like a 3 year old used word for the first time.

05-20-2008, 03:36 PM
What i wanted was for everyone to post the companies up that they work for, so i can have some more ideas on places to apply at.

rage2
05-20-2008, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by 410440
My main complaint about everything and what i was really trying to get at, is the fact people just dont return phone calls anymore, not even to say no.
The volume of resumes is insane. It'd be a 3 people full time job to call everyone back to tell them we're not interested haha. And that's for 10 positions posted.

CLiVE
05-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Just a tip. Many people complain they don't get interviews, and IMO this is one of the contributing factors. I have seen it many times various organizations.

One thing that many people overlook is the timing of when to apply. Positions that are posted often specify a 'deadline' for applications so many applicants procrastinate and apply on the last day. They do not realize that the interview and short-listing process has already started, and the organization is well on their way to making a selection. Keep checking postings and apply the as soon as a job just posted.

Looking for a job is a full-time job.
Get organized. Spruce up your resume, and actively manage and follow-up on applications submitted. Start a spreadsheet with the Job number, company, date submitted, date to follow up, status, contact name/number/email, etc.

Check the careers section of the Herald on Saturdays not just to look for postings, but to get names of companies that are hiring (and may have other positions available). Then look up their website and start submitting applications.

Also it takes time. Took me 4 months out of University to land the 'right' job.

Trini
05-20-2008, 03:50 PM
temp. agencies just to start and perhaps get your foot in the door.
call and follow up on your resume and perhaps ask if they can refer you to someone who is hiring.

good luck.

SilverGS
05-20-2008, 03:58 PM

Companies get hundreds and hundreds of resume's submitted. Unless you have an interview you expect them to call everyone of those resume's to say no? After 30 applications a lot of people won't even remember that they applied in the first place.

My resume is not some shitty word template, part of the sait program is proper resume/cover letter building, so im quite sure its not due to the fact it looks like a 3 year old used word for the first time.

I never said that but how many people went through the program and have the same look and feel. I had help from UofC advisors on my first resume. I applied for a job and heard nothing. I changed it to something different with similar content and then ideas that I didn't have on there and applied for the same job and got an interview and eventually the job. I may have gotten lucky where someone actually read it the second time but with so many resume's to sort through you need yours setup to be noticed to make the short list.

The Cosworth
05-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by modded46
I applied to 3 places down here and got hired at one of them.. :D

that is what happened to me last week when I changed jobs.

Get someone to check your resume, it may suck

zhulander
05-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Im not trying to get a management position, i have applied for everything from service advisor at a dealership, to a dispatch position.

I have 2 years of management experiance, and 2+ years of automotive industry experiance.

Double check that resume and make sure it doesn't say:
2 years of management experiance
automotive industry experiance

:devil:

Seriously though with those credentials you should be able to get a job unless, like someone mentioned before:
a) ineffective resume
b) poor interview skills
c) over qualified for positions applied

What sort of automotive experience do you have?
Most dealerships are looking for service advisors if they have ADP or Reynolds.
Have you tried car rental places and work your way up from there?

CLiVE
05-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS

I never said that but how many people went through the program and have the same look and feel. I had help from UofC advisors on my first resume. I applied for a job and heard nothing. I changed it to something different with similar content and then ideas that I didn't have on there and applied for the same job and got an interview and eventually the job. I may have gotten lucky where someone actually read it the second time but with so many resume's to sort through you need yours setup to be noticed to make the short list.

Do the 30 second resume test. Give it to a friend and have them scan the resume for 30 seconds. Then take the resume away and ask them to tell you what they remember. It will give you an idea of how memorable your resume is, and what the average hiring manager will take away from it.

97'Scort
05-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Just from our HR girl here: there is one of her, and she gets 30-40 resumes a DAY. They're busy too :) I've heard some companies are looking at 3-4 months between getting a resume and hiring.

Lex350
05-21-2008, 09:09 AM

they don't because most lilkely they have so much on their plate that callign the rejected candidates is just not an option. Most ads for jobs say that you won't be called unless you're the guy.

I put out a job ad last year and received 23 resumes. There is no way in hell I'm goign to take the time to let everyone down gently.

tirebob
05-21-2008, 03:37 PM
What sort of automotive experience do you have? Are you wanting a desk job or are you willing to get ur hands dirty until you can move up the ladder? What sort of salary expectations do you have?

Generally, most resumes that I turn away are usually because people seem to drastically over-value their skills in relation to the money they seem to think they are worth or they want to have the best parts of the job without having to deal with the shittier aspects etc...

I would prefer to hire a guy who dropped out of high school if he has a strong work ethic and shows he is willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done right over the guy who has a degree and figures that the job market owes him something...

Not saying this is you or anything like that... just that I know myself, as well as a lot of other business owners these days, are sick to death of people who do "just enough" to collect a cheque because they figure that there are a million other jobs out there waiting so there is no point in busting their ass.

sexualbanana
05-21-2008, 03:48 PM
If I called everyone that submitted a resume to me, I'd never get anything else done.

Euro838
05-21-2008, 03:54 PM
^^^^ Agreed here. Convince Tirebob to hire you and if he says he would, then I'm sure others will hire you in no time.

If he doesn't even look at your resume, then you've got a lot of work ahead of you! :) Good Luck!

On a more serious note, you should state what kind of work you are interested in. Your diploma title doesn't mean anything to anyone working at a company.

Even if you said you wanted to do something like Project Management, that's still fairly vague as you should specify an area of interest i.e. contruction, information systems, financial, etc. Looking for a job is like looking for a car, be specific and I'm sure there will be help. Otherwise, no one knows what you want because you don't even know.

ExtraSlow
05-21-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by Euro838
On a more serious note, you should state what kind of work you are interested in. Your diploma title doesn't mean anything to anyone working at a company.

+1

Help us help you.

88CRX
05-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
...just that I know myself, as well as a lot of other business owners these days, are sick to death of people who do "just enough" to collect a cheque because they figure that there are a million other jobs out there waiting so there is no point in busting their ass.

Just wait for the local job market to slow down and all the slackers start getting purged out haha....

oh shit.... i should get back to work.

TomcoPDR
05-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by tirebob
What sort of automotive experience do you have? Are you wanting a desk job or are you willing to get ur hands dirty until you can move up the ladder? What sort of salary expectations do you have?

Generally, most resumes that I turn away are usually because people seem to drastically over-value their skills in relation to the money they seem to think they are worth or they want to have the best parts of the job without having to deal with the shittier aspects etc...

I would prefer to hire a guy who dropped out of high school if he has a strong work ethic and shows he is willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done right over the guy who has a degree and figures that the job market owes him something...

Not saying this is you or anything like that... just that I know myself, as well as a lot of other business owners these days, are sick to death of people who do "just enough" to collect a cheque because they figure that there are a million other jobs out there waiting so there is no point in busting their ass.

Originally posted by Euro838
^^^^ Agreed here. Convince Tirebob to hire you and if he says he would, then I'm sure others will hire you in no time.

Yea Bob is right, Bob is always right... it's easy for any company to HIRE people, the hard part is getting RID of them. That's probably what most large corporations think about too. (i.e. how much problem will this person cause if company had to downsize, or layoff)

Will you consider hiring me Bob? Just curious :dunno:

05-22-2008, 10:36 AM
I just had an interview with calgary jag/subaru for a JR.Advisor/consierge position... went well, job sounds very cool... just waiting to see if the dealerships stupid insurance regulations will allow for someone under 25 to work in that position.. (as driving XK-r's is that hard...

As far as salary expectations go for those who have asked, All i want is to make more than i currently do, which is upward of 19 /hour... with my experiance in installation (which has led me to lead a team, drive sales, customer service.. all that goes with running a bay properly) i beleive it is not an unreasonable amount.

I am not your stereotypical lazy fuck... i truly beleive i am a hard working indavidual, nothing has come easy or been givin to me, ive had to work for everything, that is why i feel i posses an edge above the competition...

(as for the grammer po-po's, i dont care if my grammer/spelling is off, its a web forum not a resume):burnout:

Euro838
05-23-2008, 12:35 PM

I am not your stereotypical lazy fuck... i truly beleive i am a hard working indavidual, nothing has come easy or been givin to me, ive had to work for everything, that is why i feel i posses an edge above the competition...

Nobody says you are. Good luck with the job. People are here to help you. It's just nice when more information is provided.

Ben
05-23-2008, 01:30 PM

(as for the grammer po-po's, i dont care if my grammer/spelling is off, its a web forum not a resume):burnout:

Although this is true, it is an internet forum, you consistently spelled "experiance" wrong. This is similar to people that spell "Congradulations" wrong, "definatly" wrong, and heck, you even spelled "grammer wrong. People make this error all the time because they really think that is how it's spelled, and do not notice it's incorrect spelling due to habit. It's an easy mistake you can miss and often ends up getting your resume tossed aside. I do not hire people who have spelling mistakes in their resumes. It just shows to me that you didn't take the application serious enough to obey the cardinal rule of resume writing: "NO FUCKING SPELLING MISTAKES". In the actual job it's self I could care less if you have poor spelling (unless you're a programmer or something, then you're gone haha), but when it comes to the resume and cover letter, it needs to be spot on.

As for the Job Market, It's hard to say, I have more experience than I do formal training, but I've never been out of work, I know if I lost my job tomorrow I'd have one the day after, and I don't even live in a city.

Cant get a job without experience but cant get experience without a job. Did you not do any internships? A lot of fresh grads coming out of school expecting the gravy train of high paying jobs for little or no work. It's a bit of a wake up call when you still need that thing called experience.

:dunno:

Oh, and in reference to call backs, isn't it common place to read the age old saying "We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted."

Seems expected to me, don't have time to call back everyone, especially the absolute jokes we have come through.

jmc
05-23-2008, 03:01 PM
... i truly beleive i am a hard working indavidual, nothing has come easy or been givin to me, ive had to work for everything, that is why i feel i posses an edge above the competition...
In your interviews, make sure to get that point across and give them an example. Good luck.

FiveFreshFish
05-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Ben
In the actual job it's self I could care less if you have poor spelling (unless you're a programmer or something, then you're gone haha), but when it comes to the resume and cover letter, it needs to be spot on.

:eek: :rofl:

mugen6
05-23-2008, 03:16 PM
people who had recently moved into the city usually gets the job. employers sees that as a long term employment.

05-23-2008, 04:19 PM
i was offered the position, how ever the pay was very low compared to my current job and its half way across the city, there is little to no point in me taking the position, the cons outway the pros, i would have better luck moving up within the current company i work for.

I was actually quite shocked at how well i get paid compared to some of the entry level jobs that i thought would pay alot more.

and this position would mean no beyond at work :(