PDA

View Full Version : Floating Down The Elbow

Eleanor
05-19-2008, 12:49 PM
Does anyone know if they still need require lifejackets to float down the Elbow river?

Supa Dexta
05-19-2008, 12:57 PM
I've never worn one on the elbow.. The bow is the only time I've ever had someone hassle me about wearing one. Theres hardly a spot where it's over your head, it's as dangerous as a pool..

MR.Ladner
05-19-2008, 12:58 PM
yes you have to wear a life jacket!!!!!! get a ticket if you dont...

BlueGoblin
05-19-2008, 01:18 PM
Worse than a ticket, you may be sentenced to reasonable imprisonment with or without hard labour!

http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/cityclerks/9084.pdf

*The bylaw hasn't been updated since 1979 and the bulk of it is from 1974 where hard labour was still an option.

buh_buh
05-19-2008, 02:40 PM
I never wear one, but always bring one in case the by law officers are hangin around. Its something like a $500 ticket for not wearing a life jacket in a river where its not even knee deep.

in*10*se
05-19-2008, 07:09 PM
the point is not if its deep and you can stand up....

the point is that if you somehow become unconscious, ie. seizure, heart attack, drinking, concussion, or something ridiculous like that... you can float and not drown cause you're incapacitated.

Eleanor
05-19-2008, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by in*10*se
the point is not if its deep and you can stand up....

the point is that if you somehow become unconscious, ie. seizure, heart attack, drinking, concussion, or something ridiculous like that... you can float and not drown cause you're incapacitated.

You don't need one in Sikome Lake :dunno: there isn't a lifeguard on duty there, either. The only reason you need one on the Elbow is cause all the snooty people who live along it don't like to hear other people having fun, while they're tucked away in their homes counting their money, so the cops look for any excuse to pull people out of the river. I just wanted to know if the by-law officers were still hanging around, I don't want a $500 ticket.

Thanks guys.