PDA

View Full Version : Picky about Pho

Pages : [1] 2 3

TaiChino
05-19-2008, 02:19 PM
Someone explain to me why it is that I can only eat Pho at 1 or two places in Calgary? Is this just me or are other people with me on this one? I can eat the Bun and Com (Vermicelli and Rice) pretty much anywhere but when it comes to the soup itself, nobody makes it the same and I just can't eat it.

Where I do find is 88 and Rang Dong, both in the hood are the only place I go. Is everyone else this picky?

dj_rice
05-19-2008, 02:30 PM
I only go to Dau Ba (sp?) and Xuan

And obviously every place is different as they have different recipes/ingredients on making their soup broth

I still prefer eating my moms homemade pho, in fact I just had it right now :thumbsup:

And IMO, the best Pho places are along 17th Ave SE, in the heart of the ghettooo, go figure, but then again, this area is highly populated by Nammers

spyce
05-19-2008, 02:31 PM
I usually go to Sunnys/Pho So 1/Pho Kim.

I mean all the decent places are around that area anyways. If Im really having a pho craving and I dont feel like driving 15 minutes, or I want some for lunch, then I just go to the closer pho place.

But its not like Ill go out of my way to only go to select places.

TaiChino
05-19-2008, 02:41 PM
I used to like xuan, but I found their meat quality went down, kinda tough and fatty usually.

ef7
05-19-2008, 02:42 PM
pho so 1, and pho kim is good

Jmay1988
05-19-2008, 02:47 PM
usually any pho place along 17th and always used to eat at the pho place beside Luckys

max_boost
05-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Sunny's FTW! Been going there since they opened!

Pho Dau Bo is good but expensive. There seem to be hidden costs when you go to pay the bill! :dunno:

TYMSMNY
05-19-2008, 02:52 PM
Anyone tried Lotus on Macleod and 11/12th ave? It's pretty darn good but pricey. The best place I've been to!

gqmw
05-19-2008, 02:53 PM
I like sunnys but its sometimes a hassle to go to chinatown

n1zm0
05-19-2008, 03:02 PM
all pho is different imo, i think it has to do with the regions they are from (Highlands, south,north etc if any Vietnamese ppl can confirm)

for instance in the Highlands i have been told the soup seems more 'rich and heartier' because of the weather and altitude etc

but i can say that the WORST Pho i have ever had was from Oriental Phoenix on Barlow tr, horrible..

my favorite places are the Beef noodle house place in chinatown under treasurse of china (if it's still there), 'PHO' in Castleridge stripmall and Golden Bell on mac tr

dj_rice
05-19-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
all pho is different imo, i think it has to do with the regions they are from (Highlands, south,north etc if any Vietnamese ppl can confirm)

for instance in the Highlands i have been told the soup seems more 'rich and heartier' because of the weather and altitude etc

but i can say that the WORST Pho i have ever had was from Oriental Phoenix on Barlow tr, horrible..

my favorite places are the Beef noodle house place in chinatown under treasurse of china (if it's still there), 'PHO' in Castleridge stripmall and Golden Bell on mac tr

Pho originated in northern Vietnam and spread to southern and central Vietnam in the mid-1950s, after the defeat of the French and the eventual partitioning of the country. It is likely that phở came into being around 1910-1912, early enough in the new century. The communist government of North Vietnam forcibly closed many private phở businesses in the 1950s, opening government-run eateries in their place. Northern Vietnamese fleeing communist rule for South Vietnam introduced phở to their southern counterparts. Unlike in Hanoi in North Vietnam, the phở business flourished in South Vietnam, especially Saigon.[citation needed]

There are conflicting beliefs as to how phở came to be. Some believe it originated from French methods used in bouillon or consommé cooking. Oxen were valued work animals and were rarely eaten, but the arrival of the French had probably prompted servants to prepare a dish that suited the French palate. It is even said that phở came from the French beef stew dish pot-au-feu, with phở being a Vietnamization of the word feu. The broth for pot-au-feu, as it is for phở, is prepared with a bouquet garni containing spices such as cloves and black pepper. Another word for phở, used in Vietnam while Chinese was still the national written language, is hà phấn (河粉; Cantonese: ho4 fan2);[citation needed] the Chinese characters are the equivalent of the Chinese he fen, which comes from Shahe fen (沙河粉), the original name for the rice noodles originating in the town of Shahe, Guangdong.

Others believe that phở possible origins more likely lie in China. China had ruled over Vietnam for over a millennium and greatly influenced Vietnamese culture, including cuisine. Cooking ingredients used in phở, such as spices also seen in Chinese cooking (see five-spice powder and red cooking), as well as the use of rice noodles, are all Chinese influences.

With the arrival of anti-communist Vietnamese exiles and refugees (that is, hailing from South Vietnam) in the post-Vietnam War period, phở was also gradually introduced to Western countries, especially to France and the United States.There are also many phở restaurants in Australia and Canada, as these countries also received many Vietnamese refugees and immigrants. Vietnamese immigrants also brought phở noodles to the former Soviet bloc countries, including Russia, Poland and the Czech Republic.

There are several regional variants of phở in Vietnam, particularly divided between northern (Hanoi, called phở bắc or "northern phở"; or phở Hà Nội), central (Huế)[citation needed], and southern (Ho Chi Minh City/Saigon). One regional phở may be sweeter, and another variation may emphasize a bolder and spicier flavor[citation needed]. "Northern phở" tends to use somewhat wider noodles and green onions.photo 1photo 2 On the other hand, southern Vietnamese generally use thinner noodles[citation needed] (approximately the width of pad Thai or linguine noodles), and add bean sprouts and a greater variety of fresh herbs to their phở instead.

lelalong
05-19-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm super picky too. I like the Pho at Noodle world on 17th Ave SE. Also Pho Da Bo down the mall from Noodle World. Both have tasty Sate Beef Pho! Burnanation goodness!

Bagolac is good for Bun but the Pho sucks....
Saigon Pearl in Harvest Hills: okay, it fills the noodle hole
Oriental Phoenix: too whitey-fied
Lemon Tree in Ogden: meh
Chi Lan on 130th Ave SE: okay, never been back though

jdmSiR
05-19-2008, 03:44 PM
try vietnamese beef noodle house across sir winston churchill high school.
their pho is great in my opinion

cityhunter2501
05-19-2008, 04:01 PM
is pho kim open today?
im craving for pho right now

GQBalla
05-19-2008, 05:09 PM
maybe ^^ earl i am also cravin pho too bad you didn't call me earlier i woulda went but now i get steak.
hehe

i love goin to dau bo for their sate. binh minh is also really good.

that place right across from church hill is gross....so small and not tasty only good thing about that place is that its close to me and i dont get REALLY thirsty after.

xuan is good
pho kim is good
pho so 1 is okay...

theres this place in edmonton called like thanh thanh noodle house or something that has AMAZING sate

TYMSMNY
05-19-2008, 05:14 PM
remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Kjq4sGO44

didn't know how to embed.

Kritafo
05-19-2008, 05:50 PM
Pho Hoai is the only place I like in Calgary, everything else pales in comparison for me. Either it's the fish sauce????

Cause apparently it's not oil in the soup, it's fish sauce..sorry.

Anyone know if it's reopened?

dj_rice
05-19-2008, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
Pho Hoai is the only place I like in Calgary, everything else pales in comparison for me. Either too fish oily or it's just wrong.

There is no fish oil in Pho

lexIS300
05-19-2008, 06:01 PM
i can eat pho pretty much anywhere.

Pho Anh Huyen imo has the best broth

TaiChino
05-19-2008, 06:03 PM
I can't stand the broths with the cinnamony taste to them. Is that what it is?

dj_rice
05-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by TaiChino
I can't stand the broths with the cinnamony taste to them. Is that what it is?

Star Anise

GQBalla
05-19-2008, 06:31 PM
worse place to go eat pho is the place in silver springs by rogers video....

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

the rest are ok....

le da
saigon y2k

dj_rice
05-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
worse place to go eat pho is the place in silver springs by rogers video....

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

the rest are ok....

le da
saigon y2k

If I'm going to Le Da, it aint for the pho....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

szw
05-19-2008, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by lexIS300
i can eat pho pretty much anywhere.

Pho Anh Huyen imo has the best broth

I like this place for their curry soup (sooo good), but i can't eat their pho. often i get it kinda cold, the portion is smaller and the price is more expensive than better places.

GQBalla
05-20-2008, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice

lol for the rice than? ;)

adam c
05-20-2008, 08:53 AM
My favorite in calgary would have to be Le Da while my gf's is golden bell. but my absolute favorite is Pho Hoa in Vancouver

Kritafo
05-20-2008, 09:10 AM
but you know..I miss the fresh spring rolls in Vancouver the ones as big as your head. Why don't we get those here?

I remember we went as a family and ordered 4...they were like...um are you sure you can eat all that. We thought they were 4 Calgary size Fresh Spring rolls...we were like yes.

Then they came..:confused: and we were very confused as to the size. We only bought them for a snack...not a meal!

szw
05-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by adam c
My favorite in calgary would have to be Le Da while my gf's is golden bell. but my absolute favorite is Pho Hoa in Vancouver

Isn't Pho Hoa that huge ass chain?

adam c
05-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by szw

Isn't Pho Hoa that huge ass chain?

it is a chain, i have it when i'm in edmonton but it's just not as good as the van location

szw
05-20-2008, 09:49 AM
I don't know how it compares, but calgary has one too (or at least used to a couple years ago).

hoamic11
05-20-2008, 11:27 AM
man, this pho' take is making me crave pho' now.

Anyways, i'm a fan of pho'xuan,

pho' binh minh was ok, but they don't seem to give you enough meat.

my parents like pho' dua bau, but i'm not really a fan.

I'll have to try some of the other places

stunta666
05-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Pho Dau Bo is good but expensive. There seem to be hidden costs when you go to pay the bill! :dunno:

I know exactly what you mean, when you go pay the bill you see all these $1.00-$2.00 amounts being entered but you aren't sure what it was because there's a couple of people on that bill. Thier soup is damn good though.

I just had Pho hoa yesterday on kingsway and it was just alright.
Never been to the one in calgary down on 17th S.E. but it's a different name now but same owner from what i heard. They changed names to avoid paying the franchise fee's.

adam c
05-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by hoamic11
man, this pho' take is making me crave pho' now.

Anyways, i'm a fan of pho'xuan,

pho' binh minh was ok, but they don't seem to give you enough meat.

my parents like pho' dua bau, but i'm not really a fan.

I'll have to try some of the other places

i didn't like binh minh that much, only thing i liked there was they actually give u peppers to put in the pho.. me being white i don't usually get that when i goto pho places :dunno:

hoamic11
05-20-2008, 11:31 AM

i didn't like binh minh that much, only thing i liked there was they actually give u peppers to put in the pho.. me being white i don't usually get that when i goto pho places :dunno:

I havne't been there in awhile so i can't remember if i got them last time, but i know i usually get the peppers at pho' xuan.

anybody up for some a beyond pho' group outting, lol

D'z Nutz
05-20-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
Anyone tried Lotus on Macleod and 11/12th ave? It's pretty darn good but pricey. The best place I've been to!

Yeah, I tried it recently and it's definitely up there among my favorite places. Their thai style seafood pho = :drool: :drool:

I dunno if I'd consider them pricey. Not that much different than a lot of places, IMO. Atleast during happy hour you get a dozen spring rolls for like $5 or something like that :hitit:

nj2Type-S
05-20-2008, 12:12 PM
bagolac is the best bang for the buck, imo...sooo much food for what you pay for! it's pretty damn good, too.

oriental phoenix close to chinook, on the other hand, is the worst vietnamese place i've been to. food was mediocre, serving size was brutally small and overpriced!

TaiChino
05-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
oriental phoenix close to chinook, on the other hand, is the worst vietnamese place i've been to. food was mediocre, serving size was brutally small and overpriced!

No doubt, its just a glorified corner Viet eatery, food is no better, in fact worse but the size of the building and how its setup with real servers and many tables makes it a perfect illusion to unsuspecting white people out for an Asian experience.

aragingbull
05-20-2008, 04:58 PM
noodle king off barlow and 19 is quite good. huge portions and one of the best bubble tea places in the city..., no powder stuff, just fresh fruit!

stunta666
05-20-2008, 05:29 PM
oriental phoenix pho isn't even considered real pho. You will never see a nammer eating at one of those joints it's catered to white guys or white washed asians.

n1zm0
05-20-2008, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by stunta666
oriental phoenix pho isn't even considered real pho. You will never see a nammer eating at one of those joints it's catered to white guys or white washed asians.

true, one of my caucasian friends brought me there and was raving on and on about how good it was, i told him straight up the first taste i had, 'this is the WORST pho i have ever had and i'm not even Vietnamese' , i would have been more satisfied eating a Nong Shim Kim Chee.

the craziest thing was i saw a group of 6 people(caucasians) who i guess were regulars coming for their daily lunch break 'Oh i love this place' ... 'Third time this week, i think i'm getting addicted'

:rofl:

dj_rice
05-20-2008, 06:13 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/203948/the-green-papaya-vietnamese-restaurant/

This is a Pho place trying to cater to rich white people...$9.00 for a large dac biet pho :rofl: :rofl:

My parents and all my older Nammer FOB co-workers all choose Dau Bo so they must be doing something right

lexIS300
05-20-2008, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by szw

I like this place for their curry soup (sooo good), but i can't eat their pho. often i get it kinda cold, the portion is smaller and the price is more expensive than better places.

yea sometimes the soup comes out warm, i just ask for the soup to be extra hot. the prices are a bit more compared to pho kim. but i can taste the difference in quality. this is the only place where i will sit and drink the broth after im done eating.

My parents and all my older Nammer FOB co-workers all choose Dau Bo so they must be doing something right

werd. this is the only place my mom likes to go to. and bunch of my friends parents are always there as well.

Redlyne_mr2
05-20-2008, 08:05 PM
I like Sunny's, tasty and clean.

Sorath
05-21-2008, 01:25 AM
my favourite pho place is between pho so 1 and pho 88

Type_R_Prince
05-21-2008, 01:58 AM

Wtf is that suppose to mean? :dunno:

Type_R_Prince
05-21-2008, 02:03 AM
Le Da is bomb ass shit :thumbsup:

HybridTheory
05-21-2008, 09:36 AM
Man this thread is making me crave pho like crazy right now.

:werd: to dj_rice Pho Dau Bo is the best.
Lotus and Pho Kim aren't bad either.

stunta666
05-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Next time you guys go to dau bo get some oil on the side it's called nuc bow in viet ( not sure how to spell it). It's basically oil from the soup but when you add a spoon to your pho it makes the biggest difference. It sounds gross but once you try it you'll be hooked. My brothers always give me shit because it's bad for you but it aint the same with out it. Try it out and let me know what you think

GQBalla
05-21-2008, 11:03 AM
nuc boaw (sp)

is good this is the oil with the fatty green onion in it right?

i always get it lol except i dont add the oil, i just grab the green onions cause that oil will make you die soon

stunta666
05-21-2008, 11:19 AM
^^ My nigga:thumbsup: That's the same shit i'm talkin about. I know the oil will probably make me die a painful death but it's so good when it hits your lips.

adam c
05-21-2008, 11:22 AM
my ex was viet and her mom used to cook for me all the time and i don't know about this "oil"

explain?!?!

TaiChino
05-21-2008, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by aragingbull
noodle king off barlow and 19 is quite good. huge portions and one of the best bubble tea places in the city..., no powder stuff, just fresh fruit!

It's right beside my work, I eat it every day for lunch, but I find they overcook the pho noodles, I stick to their other dishes, which are quite good though. :thumbsup:

cdnsir
05-21-2008, 11:58 AM
Sweet thread! So Pho Dau Bo with nuc boaw (so how do I say this, is it pronounced like "nug bow") is the way to go eh? I'll check that place out this Fri!

Oh I also go this other place on 17th SE. I don't know what it's called, but it's in a white stripmall with a light blue roof. The restaurant itself has like globes on their windows. I go there cuz they have soup with really fat noodles on their menu. Is that stuff authentic?

TaiChino
05-21-2008, 12:43 PM
I still prefer eating my moms homemade pho, in fact I just had it right now :thumbsup:

So Beyond Pho cookoff? BYOBowl?

GQBalla
05-21-2008, 01:07 PM
my ex was viet and her mom used to cook for me all the time and i don't know about this "oil"

explain?!?!

this oil is basically heated up and the ends of green onion the fatty part is thrown in and cooked quick.

i dunno if its fully cooked or not though.

than they put it in a bowl and you dump that into your pho :D soooo yummy lol heart burn in a a bowl.

i pronounce it noook b ow

butttt im also pure chink soooo i dont have the viet pronouncation down to pat. Some of my viet friends just pronounce it b ow

dj_rice
05-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Nuc bow?Hmmm never heard of it, I'll have to get the 411 from my mother

dragonone
05-21-2008, 11:30 PM
pho kim:dunno: no. 1:dunno:
i'm not a pho fan but i've been eating at bin minh, le da, and bom bo eh (haha can't spell)
nor am i an expert so i picked out a few to try in this thread:thumbsup:

stunta666
05-22-2008, 10:05 AM
The only place i really get that oil from is dau bo because there is a lot of flavor in theirs. You can get that stuff any where else but it's pretty much just plain oil unless they give you onions in it which are really good. Dam i'm hurtin bad for some of that artery clogger.

adam c
05-22-2008, 10:08 AM
i think i'll go check out dau bo.. :thumbsup:

btw are there any pho places that cater to north vietnamese cooking style? like i said, my ex's mom made the best pho i've ever had and she was north viet

GQBalla
05-22-2008, 10:49 AM
^^^ was it the pho with the slices of tomato in it?

theres this place on centre st thats pretty good i enjoy it once in a while.

the satay is decent, cucumber, beef, tomatoe in it.

the spring rolls there are like deep fried to shit taste so good though.

adam c
05-22-2008, 10:52 AM
^^^ was it the pho with the slices of tomato in it?

theres this place on centre st thats pretty good i enjoy it once in a while.

the satay is decent, cucumber, beef, tomatoe in it.

the spring rolls there are like deep fried to shit taste so good though.

nope. she used to make the broth with shrimp tails, bones, meat, some other things and spices and wow it was soooo good, i have such a craving for it right now :(
way better than anything i've been able to find at pho places. plus she used the thicker noodles, another thing i can't find at pho places here

GQBalla
05-22-2008, 10:57 AM
mmm sounds yummy,

homemade pho is the best i admit

the good stuff is at dau bo though buttt the hood is soo far and i dont have enough time to go drive down to ghetto 17th just to eat pho.

if you guys love satay and happen to be in edmonton you got to try this thanh thanh noodle house because the satay there is like peanuty yet soooo good, i can't really explain it i have yet to have something like that here.

Lagerstatten.ca
05-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Whenever my friends and I go out...we always try to find a new Pho place, but after trying 15+ pho restaurants, we still end up going back to the ghetto and eat at Pho Rang Dong (on 44th ST and 8th Ave SE).

Fast, Fresh, Inexpensive and it tastes sooo good! Only thing they're missing is salad rolls (Goi Cuon).

Worst Pho Experience: Vancouver, on Denman Street, a place called Le Vina (I think)...on their menu it wasn't even called "pho" but "beef consume"..WTF! Not to mention there was no sizes (S/M/L/XL) like most places. It was one size, which was about a size M here in Calgary. Broth tasted like water, barely any beef. Worst part was that they didn't serve any hot sauce/hoisin sauce or any sides like beansprouts/basil etc.

Mmm...I want some Rang Dong pho right about now...

adam c
05-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Lagerstatten.ca

Worst Pho Experience: Vancouver, on Denman Street, a place called Le Vina (I think)...on their menu it wasn't even called "pho" but "beef consume"..WTF! Not to mention there was no sizes (S/M/L/XL) like most places. It was one size, which was about a size M here in Calgary. Broth tasted like water, barely any beef. Worst part was that they didn't serve any hot sauce/hoisin sauce or any sides like beansprouts/basil etc.

i have been there.. it was quite horrible actually.. when I was there they actually ran out of pho (the broth) at 11am and weren't selling anymore for that day. i couldn't figure out what the hell beef consume was. we ended ordering some steam chicken thing that was slimy as hell and some other misc food that i didn't eat. worst experience i've had.. ever...

GQBalla
05-22-2008, 11:08 AM
i should try this rang dong place.

lol beef consume?

i woulda left right after reading that
AHAHAHHA

aram1000
05-22-2008, 11:24 AM
I find home made pho is the best, my friends mom makes it so good, and since I had it at his place, pho from restraunts doesn't taste as good to me

trieu
05-22-2008, 12:48 PM
Rang Dong is the best place in the city :thumbsup:

redline_13000
05-22-2008, 01:03 PM
I have tried probably half the pho places in calgary, and the only ones I go back to are Pho dau bo, xuan, and the one by forest lawn high school, the more ghetto, the tastier imo:thumbsup:

89coupe
05-22-2008, 01:09 PM
My favorite Pho place is Saigon Palace by Westhills

Saigon Palace Restaurant
maps.google.ca

460-5255 Richmond Road SW
Calgary, AB T3E 7C4
(403) 240-4048

KLCC
05-22-2008, 01:28 PM
IMO, the best pho resturant in the city would be "Pho Pasteur Saigon", around the corner (facing the Harry Hays building, right next door to the best Vietnamese Sub

dj_rice
05-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by aram1000
I find home made pho is the best, my friends mom makes it so good, and since I had it at his place, pho from restraunts doesn't taste as good to me

Exactly, theres also a reason why homemade tastes so much better....homemade your prolly using tons of beef stock bones/spices and 4-6 or even overnight hours of cooking time whereas the restaurants are prolly using half as much stock bones and more soup base but thats a given

Originally posted by dragonone
pho kim:dunno: no. 1:dunno:
i'm not a pho fan but i've been eating at binh minh, le da, and Bun Bo Hue (haha can't spell)
nor am i an expert so i picked out a few to try in this thread:thumbsup:

Fixed and Pho with Oxtail FTW!!!!:drool:

Quickstrike
05-23-2008, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by KLCC
IMO, the best pho resturant in the city would be "Pho Pasteur Saigon", around the corner (facing the Harry Hays building, right next door to the best Vietnamese Sub

QFT!

I have been to 10+ different locations in the city, but nothing comes close to that place.

I was going to mention it, but I didn't remember the name.

Have eaten there like every week for the past few years.

petoria
05-23-2008, 08:34 AM
pho 88 and pho rang dong:thumbsup:

stunta666
05-23-2008, 10:02 AM
One of the keys to getting good pho is going to places that start with pho ie. pho dau bo, pho xuan, pho pasteur. These places will most likely be catered more towards the viet people meaning better tasting pho. There are some places that don't start with pho and are good but if you've never been there why take that chance. My wife's white and she likes to try new places for pho cause she hates the hood and believe me i've had some shit ass pho. There's this place in mckenzie lake that she took me to and I was served by a white girl that asked me if i wanted chopsticks, it would have been good if i ordered a bowl of noodles in warm water but i was pretty sure i ordered a pho tai. There aint nothin worse than havin a shit ass bowl of pho when you're hungry.

TaiChino
05-23-2008, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by stunta666
One of the keys to getting good pho is going to places that start with pho ie. pho dau bo, pho xuan, pho pasteur. These places will most likely be catered more towards the viet people meaning better tasting pho. There are some places that don't start with pho and are good but if you've never been there why take that chance. My wife's white and she likes to try new places for pho cause she hates the hood and believe me i've had some shit ass pho. There's this place in mckenzie lake that she took me to and I was served by a white girl that asked me if i wanted chopsticks, it would have been good if i ordered a bowl of noodles in warm water but i was pretty sure i ordered a pho tai. There aint nothin worse than havin a shit ass bowl of pho when you're hungry.

Ya I have found that too, that if the restaurant has the word pho in it's name, it most likely specializes in pho itself, not just viet food in general. Hence the actual pho from places like quynn or oriental phoenix, etc.

jus_sum_guy
05-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
Pho Hoai is the only place I like in Calgary, everything else pales in comparison for me. Either it's the fish sauce????

Cause apparently it's not oil in the soup, it's fish sauce..sorry.

Yes we are opened again. Completely renovated with a new look. Stop by and let me know what you think of it :)

Kritafo
05-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by jus_sum_guy

Yes we are opened again. Completely renovated with a new look. Stop by and let me know what you think of it :)

Same hours? I will be so happy to come back...we were just saying how much we were missing pho last night. Kids are upset they didn't get their calender this year from your mom.

See you soon and thanks for letting us know.

eb0i
05-23-2008, 04:38 PM
nuc boaw (sp)

is good this is the oil with the fatty green onion in it right?

i always get it lol except i dont add the oil, i just grab the green onions cause that oil will make you die soon

explain?!?!

Nuc bow?Hmmm never heard of it, I'll have to get the 411 from my mother

Nuoc Beo = the fat that comes from the meat when cooked which then is mixed in the pho broth. This is usually scooped out before serving you (done by letting the pot sit over night and then the fat hardens at the top). I believe this is only a North American thing because in Vietnam this fat is left in the broth and you can feel it condense around your lips when eating pho.

eb0i
05-23-2008, 04:44 PM
To add to this thread. My favorite place to eat Pho in this city is Pho Hoa. I used to like Pho Dau Bo but I got tired from being served by the bitchy lady so I went across the street. My parents really like Pho Binh Minh, there's something about their broth that I don't like though. I've tried other places like Pho Anh, Pho Le, etc., but none I have liked as much as the flavor from Pho Hoa. Perhaps I like Pho Hoa because it is a similar taste to pho places in Little Saigon in Westminster, CA.

dj_rice
05-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by eb0i

Nuoc Beo = the fat that comes from the meat when cooked which then is mixed in the pho broth. This is usually scooped out before serving you (done by letting the pot sit over night and then the fat hardens at the top). I believe this is only a North American thing because in Vietnam this fat is left in the broth and you can feel it condense around your lips when eating pho.

Oooooooooooooooooo Nuoc Beo, I had to ask my mother how to pronounce it and then I knew what it was, nuoc beo is pretty much translated water to make you fat but :barf: when my mother makes the pho broth, she always throws that stuff in the garbage...I'm very intrigued to try that stuff out....

eb0i
05-23-2008, 11:08 PM

Oooooooooooooooooo Nuoc Beo, I had to ask my mother how to pronounce it and then I knew what it was, nuoc beo is pretty much translated water to make you fat but :barf: when my mother makes the pho broth, she always throws that stuff in the garbage...I'm very intrigued to try that stuff out....

It's okay. I prefer it without. I think at some pho places if you order the Dac Biet they put nuoc beo in it already.

GQBalla
05-24-2008, 09:39 AM
nuoc beo is sooo yummy though!

ahahah buttt it certainly will get you fat!

Will@STRD
05-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Pho Dau Bo has the best broth I found at least is not MSG + Water, on top on nuoc beo I always get the beef on the side so it wont be over cook. Their beef's quality is better than a lot of others.

Prelude_dude
05-26-2008, 12:04 AM
Yea im one of those that stick to a few places too, im a pho xuan, and i actually really like pho thang on 64th its good i think, but pho kim is hit or miss... sometimes i go there and its just amazing, other times its just... mediocare.. i actually just went there two days ago and it was... mediocare... i think it was the hot sauce... i love that stuff.. but i looked at the bottle and it looked like two different colors.. i think they used a new brand or something.. the hot sauce was too sweet for my liking... just ruined my meal... and the broth was too sweet too...

dragonone
05-26-2008, 01:55 AM
i found that out of all the pho's i've tried in calgary, pho dau bo has the MOST msg ever! this is coming from someone that's very used to msg in HK and van where i grew up

it is pretty good tho, just need liquids everytime afterwards

Street_Soldier
05-26-2008, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by eb0i
Perhaps I like Pho Hoa because it is a similar taste to pho places in Little Saigon in Westminster, CA.

Yeah its because they use "chewy noodles", not many places in Calgary use it, Saigon Pearl used to but not anymore.

rice_balls
05-26-2008, 11:20 AM
I liked Taste of saigon that was in the silver springs area beside rogers video, they had the best coffee bubble tea! Anyone know if they are open again?? I want that bubble tea... I go to the pho by northland mall. I forgot what it was called, and i know there is 2 there. It's the one further away from the mall.

cityhunter2501
05-30-2008, 11:12 AM
quick pre-lunch question...any good place for pho in downtown?
GQBalla and I are craving for pho right now :drool:

bulaian
05-30-2008, 11:15 AM
go to Pho Pasteur Saigon, across from Harry Hays building, beside Thi Thi subs

TYMSMNY
05-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by bulaian
go to Pho Pasteur Saigon, across from Harry Hays building, beside Thi Thi subs

They were good about 10 years ago.. but ever since they changed owners.. it hasn't been my thing.

GQBalla
05-30-2008, 11:16 AM
we coulddd go there BUTTT do i feel like walking that far into china town?

that place is good i remember ahahah i forgot about that place but i bet it will be busy at lunch time.

cityhunter2501
05-30-2008, 11:21 AM
lets take a cab and go to Pho Kim :rofl:

TYMSMNY
05-30-2008, 11:28 AM
^ Sunny's in Chinatown then.

GQBalla
05-30-2008, 01:11 PM
Pho Pasteur Saigon is okay...

didn't really like it.

Kritafo
05-30-2008, 01:32 PM
well my husband just went to Pho Hoai for lunch even though we had plans to go there as a family tonight. He will be eating it twice today... mm so good though.

He was just saying it was as good as ever since re-opening!

bulaian
05-30-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

They were good about 10 years ago.. but ever since they changed owners.. it hasn't been my thing.

I think that might have been the last time i went there :rofl:

bulaian
05-30-2008, 01:46 PM
Pho Pasteur Saigon is okay...

didn't really like it.

is that where you ended up going today for lunch???

I was debating it... but ended up going to that new Thai tai... they've really got to learn how to make subs properly

they put about half a large onion onto the sub, along with 5 whole hot peppers... most places would put like 1-2 or the equivalent if it was chopped and about 1/10 th as much onion, it's about all i could taste on the sub, until i dumped it all out and just put the chicken back into the bread

n1zm0
05-30-2008, 01:46 PM
screw pho, MBA is the place to eat noodles!

j/k maybe we should get rage to do a review of a handfull of Pho places, like the luncheon meat/instant noodle critique

i pick rage because of his great review writings

:thumbsup:

Despair*
05-30-2008, 01:56 PM

true, one of my caucasian friends brought me there and was raving on and on about how good it was, i told him straight up the first taste i had, 'this is the WORST pho i have ever had and i'm not even Vietnamese' , i would have been more satisfied eating a Nong Shim Kim Chee.

hahah! Sooo true :rofl: your statment about the Nong shim kim chee made me explode with laughter, thats the funniest thing I've heard all day! And i can relate, i've consumed the odd kim chee from time to time hoping to stop a pho craving from consuming me.

the craziest thing was i saw a group of 6 people(caucasians) who i guess were regulars coming for their daily lunch break 'Oh i love this place' ... 'Third time this week, i think i'm getting addicted'
:rofl:

Funny stuff. Just remember everyone has to start out somewhere. Hoefully these caucasians fellows will learn the errors of their ways and frequent some of the better places around time!

My Favorite Pho place has always been the Pho Hoai location downtown in the far east shopping mall. Their satay beef noodle pho always tasted incredibly delicous so it's been a struggle to try any new places.

With that said, i've been on a break from pho for about 5 months now :(

TVG
05-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by bulaian

I was debating it... but ended up going to that new Thai tai... they've really got to learn how to make subs properly

:werd: their subs suck.

I really like the subs that guy on 14th st & kensington makes. The place behind chicken on the way, but not the place beside it.