PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Bike Help

Gorilla
05-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Im thinking about buying this bike anyone have any other recommendations? Im a beginner and have only done a few single track trails.

http://www.sportchek.ca/sportchek/do/style?menuId=61&styleId=47509

http://www.sportchek.ca/sportchek/do/style?menuId=61&styleId=47509

Kona9
05-20-2008, 09:24 AM
It really depends on how much you plan on using / riding.

I personally would not purchase even a beginner bike at a place like Sportchek. With bikes...you get what you pay for.

If it is a bike you are hardly going to use, I say do it.

If you plan on getting more involved in MTN Biking as a sport, I would suggest an entry level bike from a specified bike shop.

My personal fav shops in the city would be Calgary Cycle on Centre ST and Mtn Bike City Ski and Sports on 17th ave SW.

I find the guys at Calgary Cycle, honest, upfront and easy to deal with.

Mtn Bike City is where I purchased my last bike and they have been pretty fair as well.

Not much of solid info on the bike you question, but more of an opinion from a long time rider.

Good luck!

Lagerstatten.ca
05-20-2008, 09:26 AM
I'd avoid all the sportchek type stores :(

Hit up Calgary Cycle on 1414 Centre St. North and ask for Derek (he's the owner). Tell him what you're looking for, in what price range and he'll hook you up with something more suitable than that SportChek bike.

Cheers :)

Kritafo
05-20-2008, 09:35 AM
yup go to a bike shop in Calgary. Problem with mountain bikes are...when your trail riding and jumping...your damaging components and replacing them. All the stuff you buy at Canadian Tire, sport check, Costco etc are disposable bikes.

89coupe
05-20-2008, 09:46 AM
If you are just riding simple trails, that bike will be fine. Don't waste your money on a big dollar bike if you aren't going to use it to its full potential.

But if you wanna hit up some hardcore trails or downhill stuff, then yes, spend the extra money on a decent bike.

My vote is for Calgary Cylce as well.

But if its just simple riding that bike will be fine.

gretz
05-20-2008, 09:55 AM
cyclepath has some good quality bikes. DO NOT buy a sportcheck bike if you want to have it for a long time. Spend the extra money, buy something you like - it will pay off in the long run.

I used to be sponsored by Impala bikes in Ontario, buy good stuff, it definately pays for itself

Renagades
06-10-2008, 07:12 PM
i agree that quality bikes are definetly worth it but in terms of sport check they are now the exclusive seller of iron horse in canada and the sunday is a pretty damn nice race bike. i know that when you buy the bike you will NEVER get customer service but it depends what you are looking for.