PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone Inquiry

300rwhp
08-20-2003, 06:19 PM
What is the best cell phone on the market in regards to clarity, battery life, durabilty, and of course cost

One mandatory thing is it must take a sim card

and if possible be world usuable (use in north america and europe)

roopi
08-20-2003, 07:20 PM
The V60! Actually the V60i!

It is a Tri-Band GSM phone that operates on the 900/1800/1900 networks so it is considered a world phone.

The clarity and reception is by far the best I have ever heard on a phone before and trust me I have used alot of phones!

RX-7_TWINTURBO
08-20-2003, 08:32 PM
Matt PM me i can most likley get you a deal on any cell

Weapon_R
08-20-2003, 08:46 PM
V60 is the best you can buy for clarity and reception, but not the hottest for battery life. Still, it usually still lasts a couple of days with moderate use.

roopi
08-21-2003, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
V60 is the best you can buy for clarity and reception, but not the hottest for battery life. Still, it usually still lasts a couple of days with moderate use.

With my slim battery it usually lasts 2-3 days with 80-100 mins of talk time.

With the extended battery it usually lasts 5 days with about 200 mins of talk time.

I always cycle my batteries though.

300rwhp
08-21-2003, 01:12 AM
are they sim compatible becuase i want to use fido

Weapon_R
08-21-2003, 01:14 AM
yes v60g or v60i are both sim compatable

roopi
08-21-2003, 01:25 AM
Yeah just be careful who you are buying from if you buy them online.

There are alot of different versions of the V60.

V60T - TDMA
V60C - CDMA
V60G - GSM (For Rogers/Fido with SIM card)

V60i (C) - CDMA
V60i (T) - TDMA
V60i (G) - GSM (For Rogers/Fido with SIM card)

GTS Jeff
08-21-2003, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by roopi

V60T - TDMA
V60C - CDMA

V60i (C) - CDMA
V60i (T) - TDMA
V60i (G) - GSM (For Rogers/Fido with SIM card) hmm whats the diff between the older and newer v60s? and are the gsm v60s digital only?

Akagi Redsuns
08-21-2003, 08:03 AM
I have the older V60gand it's GSM digital only. No analog at all. GSM 800/1800/1900. I have a feeling the new V60i G is the same way. As far as I can tell the main difference between the old and new is that the i versions have replaceable cases for customizing. Someone on there said that there is a new interface as well (Java?). The only thing missing from the V60g I miss from a Nokia phone is the different ring tone for different groups. Otherwise a very soild phone.

roopi
08-21-2003, 10:01 AM
just like Akagi Redsuns said. the v60i has changeable faceplates and supports Java.

calarina
08-21-2003, 10:05 AM
Whatever you do, DON'T get the Motorola T720...

You try to open a menu, sometimes it'll freeze and hang there. For a whole day, the only button that would work was the end/off button. Horrible reception.

The only good thing about it is the Colour LCD screen and the cool faceplates you can get. :D

roopi
08-21-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by calarina

You try to open a menu, sometimes it'll freeze and hang there. For a whole day, the only button that would work was the end/off button. Horrible reception.

The only good thing about it is the Colour LCD screen and the cool faceplates you can get. :D

I had a couple T720s. Which one did you have from Rogers?

I had a T-Mobile one and an AT & T one and never had any problems. The menus were slow sometimes but I never had any problems with freezing. It probably just had bad firmware and needed a flash.

GTS Jeff
08-21-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by calarina

The only good thing about it is the Colour LCD screen and the cool faceplates you can get. :D yeah it sounds like u could have used new firmware. the t720 is sposed to be as good as the v60 for reception (they are both highend motorola gsm phones). your shitty reception was likely caused by rogers ass network more than anything else.

Clever
08-21-2003, 12:26 PM
make sure that the phone you buy is unlocked, you can find some on ebay, most of the gsm phones here are locked to either Rogers or Fido, the last time i checked it was $250 to get a phone unlocked, but you might be able to find someone that can do it cheaper, pm me if you need help finding one or if you have any other questions.

calarina
08-21-2003, 01:09 PM
I just bought the brand new Motorola T720 that they're advertising for now (I bought it before they were advertising for it).

Everyone I've talked to that has this phone all agree that it's crap, and all say the same thing about it that I have.

*edit* Yes, it's from Rogers. The new flip-phone ones. My parents were bootin' me off their plan, so I decided to stay with Rogers and get a new phone.

aXc
08-21-2003, 01:14 PM
i love my fone, nokia 8390...it's really good and small (and the best thing is...changing faceplates,keypads and batteries ;D)and even clarity is good...i bought it with a 2 yr plan and i still payed 150...but now u only have to pay like 50 or something like that at rogers...so it's a pretty good deal.
one of my friends has a gd86a (panasonic)....it's sooo cool..but it's pretty expensive (u can't get it in north america yet....he got it in china at the time for $1000 CND equivalent..it's only $800CND equivalent now though ...)...it has a huge lcd + camera on the phone and lots of other good features too

aXc
08-21-2003, 01:16 PM
yeah...only bad thing about buying with rogers is that those motherfukers lock ur fone (the security password to reset ur factory settings etc. etc.)....so basically....ur stuck with that service provider. (although i'm fine with rogers cuz i got a good plan - $20 for 150 daytime mins and unlimited weekends and weeknights) ^^

D'z Nutz
08-21-2003, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by roopi

V60T - TDMA
V60C - CDMA

V60i (C) - CDMA
V60i (T) - TDMA
V60i (G) - GSM (For Rogers/Fido with SIM card)

There's also supposed to be a V60p and V60x coming out soon.

Quite honestly, I can't justify paying crazy amounts of cash for a fancy phone with a lot of useless features I'll never use anymore.

Shaolin
08-21-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by aXc
i love my fone, nokia 8390...it's really good and small (and the best thing is...changing faceplates,keypads and batteries ;D)and even clarity is good...i bought it with a 2 yr plan and i still payed 150...but now u only have to pay like 50 or something like that at rogers...so it's a pretty good deal.
one of my friends has a gd86a (panasonic)....it's sooo cool..but it's pretty expensive (u can't get it in north america yet....he got it in china at the time for $1000 CND equivalent..it's only $800CND equivalent now though ...)...it has a huge lcd + camera on the phone and lots of other good features too

I've had the 8390 for almost 2 years now, only problem I have with the phone is sometimes I hear an echo, other than that it's great.. think my next phone's going to be a flip though.

K271
08-21-2003, 01:55 PM
Nokia 6610. My standby is about 5 days. Looks good, can do so much for customization. Totally worth it.

roopi
08-21-2003, 02:12 PM
Clever - the cost you quoted of $250.00 to have a phone unlocked is the cost if you get the actual unlock code from the carrier such as Rogers.

If you need to get a phon unlocked checkout www.omegacell.com. They have unlocking rates on their site and it ranges from $30-$50. I've had them unlock a couple phones for me and even bought a phone from them and I can vouch for them that they are fast and provide great service.

YCB
08-21-2003, 02:22 PM
v70 :thumbsdown: , i got this phone battery doesn't last long maybe like 2 days standby. reception is not the greatest cuz rogers in calgary sucks.. i would go with v60,

300rwhp
08-21-2003, 05:49 PM
so sean do u have msn if so post it and as for roopi i know u sell alot of stuff so best price on a v60 that takes a sim works with fido and the world prefer a v60i (ithink) if you have msn post it and we can discuss

xkon
08-21-2003, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Clever
make sure that the phone you buy is unlocked, you can find some on ebay, most of the gsm phones here are locked to either Rogers or Fido, the last time i checked it was $250 to get a phone unlocked, but you might be able to find someone that can do it cheaper, pm me if you need help finding one or if you have any other questions.

if its a moto i can usually unlock them ;) $20

and i have a v60g, and LOVE it, great little phone, if you use it for a phone, not for games!

RX-7_TWINTURBO
08-21-2003, 06:08 PM
matt i pm'd you my msn

roopi
08-22-2003, 02:28 AM
my MSN is [email protected]

I will have 2 more V60i's in a few days. They were both supposed to be for me but I think I might sell them.

They will both be locked to Rogers but I can have them unlocked. If you want one try and catch me on MSN and we can discuss.