PDA

View Full Version : homemade sauces

theken
05-20-2008, 08:00 PM
anybody else make their own sauces? ie. steak, pasta, Bearnaise, hollandaise, whatever.

I made a Peppercorn sauce for my steak last night, so friggen good, as well as a Bearnaise sauce for my shrimp skewers and bacon scallops.
I used a recipe off the internet but tweaked it quite a bit and turned out amazing.
peppercorn garlic

Ingredients

Packaged Au Ju
1/2 cup 10% cream
minced garlic (1 tbls)
minced green onion (white part only) (about 1-2 tbls)
tbls of butter
whole mixed peppercorns (about 3-4 tbls)
3/4 shot of Apricot Brandy
all purpose flour (thickening)

prepare au ju, and set aside, keep on low heat to keep warm.

In a smaller sauce pan melt butter over low-med heat, mix in garlic and onion turn heat up to med/high let simmer for about 2-3 minutes

the packaged au ju makes about 2 cups only use 1/2 cup. turn heat back down to low and add the 1/2 cup or so of au ju and cream. mix in peppercorns and brandy (the apricot brandy makes it sweet but so good) leave heat on low stirring every 5-10 minutes.
let simmer for 15 or so minutes, whisk in small amounts of flour after the 15 minute mark while simmering, make sure you whisk while putting the flour in or it will clump.
Turn heat up to medium for last 4-5 minutes. after flour has had a chance to cook and thicken turn temp to low and leave on low for 5 more minutes.

Sauce is fantastic on steak, as well as seafood. sweet, yet peppercorn adds some kick

dj_rice
05-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Well arent you the culinary man....:thumbsup:

Instead of your all-purpose flour, you could use a cornstarch slurry or use whipping cream at the end and reduce down or if you wanna get fancy, a white roux, which is combination of butter and flour ;)

I make my own spagetti sauce and peanut sate sauce and Vietnamese salad spring roll sauce :thumbsup: :drool:

theken
05-20-2008, 08:08 PM
got a recipe for the spring roll sauce? (also didn't want to add more butter to the recipe :) ) but those are also good options, i will try some in my next sauce.

Bearnaise sauce is awesome too, but a whole stick of butter worth of awesome

DJ_NAV
05-22-2008, 02:14 PM
yea... please share the salad roll sauce recipe...

ercchry
05-22-2008, 02:22 PM
i always make my own sauces, everything like, salad dressing, pasta sauce, for different meats, etc. my ribs sauce is the best though, but i can never remember how to make it till im making it but it always ends up good

GQBalla
05-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
my ribs sauce is the best though, but i can never remember how to make it till im making it but it always ends up good

true chef styles!:thumbsup:

+1 sor salad roll sauce my auntie makes a amazing salad roll sauce and amazing nuc mum

dj_rice
05-22-2008, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla

true chef styles!:thumbsup:

+1 sor salad roll sauce my auntie makes a amazing salad roll sauce and amazing nuc mum

Its nuoc mam actually and nuoc tuong is good too :thumbsup:

GQBalla
05-22-2008, 10:21 PM
lol pardon my spellin what can i say im chink