PDA

View Full Version : s13 welded diff..... good or bad

NewSR20
05-20-2008, 08:24 PM
hi so probably there has been 100's or post of this topic before but i wanted to ask my good ol buddies from beyond about the topic.

welded diff good or bad, and by the way i want to get my open diff welded so keep that in mind when you reply. also i can read on google info on welded diff's but has anyone on here used one?

Thank you for your time.

dj_rice
05-20-2008, 08:55 PM
Good if you have no money and on a budget

S13_Ryan
05-20-2008, 08:57 PM
i dont really have an opinion. i was thinking of doing this at one point aswell. if you do decide to have it done PM Jason Lange on here.

Jason Lange
05-20-2008, 09:55 PM
In response... I am not going to weld any open diffs for people. It is a safety liability for my company. I have done it a couple times and no matter how good of a job is done in there, there is a chance of the diff locking up and causing an accident etc... it has happened once in the past and I won't be doing this any more. Thanks though Ryan.

Primer_Drift
05-20-2008, 10:04 PM
There you have it..

Welded diff = bad

:closed:

NewSR20
05-20-2008, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift
There you have it..

Welded diff = bad

:closed:

haha k well guess that's it....

stevo 27
05-20-2008, 10:35 PM
well i depends what your doing is this strictly a drag car ?? if not i wouldnt do it

cause your car will handle like shit

and i can see jason's point on a street car ive never seen one break in the 4x4 racing seen but anything can happen

NewSR20
05-20-2008, 10:41 PM
all i need it for is drift. i want to be able to cherp the tires lots and enter a drift that's it

Jason Lange
05-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Its true Steve but on dirt it can be a little different. When cars are turning on pavement the tires really grab and hop especially when using good grippy summer tires. I have seen many work just fine and I'd probably use one myself if I was broke or was strictly dragging on a track or something. However I just wanted to let him know I wouldn't be able to do it for a customer.

Buy a 2 way...:thumbsup:

NewSR20
05-20-2008, 10:51 PM
yea spent to much on engine parts now i forgot about open diff

laurier
05-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by NewSR20
yea spent to much on engine parts now i forgot about open diff

Buy a V-lsd. Its something to get you going. Than when you have the money for a 2 way you can always just slap it in your open diff and not worry about any down time.

Revhard
05-20-2008, 11:00 PM
It's a total chance. Those parts are specially heat treated, and welding them will change the properties and create unknown variables.
If you have to have it, get a spool.:thumbsup:

NewSR20
05-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by laurier

Buy a V-lsd. Its something to get you going. Than when you have the money for a 2 way you can always just slap it in your open diff and not worry about any down time.
yea true vlsd would get me started. anyone have a 2 way there not using or even a 1.5 way lol and a good deal

jegger69
06-09-2008, 07:59 PM
i have a friend with a welded diff in his rb26 240 vert. he was running the same diff in his rb26 silvia as well its on year 2 with the diff and no signs of wear. but beware if the weld lets go say goodbye to your pumpkin.

THE GOVERNATOR
06-09-2008, 08:12 PM
hi so probably there has been 100's or post of this topic before but i wanted to ask my good ol buddies from beyond about the topic.

welded diff good or bad, and by the way i want to get my open diff welded so keep that in mind when you reply. also i can read on google info on welded diff's but has anyone on here used one?

Thank you for your time.

man it just sounds like a accident waiting to happen. save some money and just got with a vlsd it will save you alot of future hassle.

NewSR20
06-12-2008, 02:41 PM
im just more worried about locking percentages

stevo 27
06-17-2008, 10:20 PM
im just more worried about locking percentages

locking percentages what are you talking about welded diff has ZERO give

NewSR20
06-17-2008, 10:41 PM
exactly,
locking percentage is the amount of give the dif allows. and of course i know a welded dif has zero give. basically a spool diff kit would be ideal but i can't find one for an s13.

also what is it like to drift with a vlsd, i heard there better than an open diff but are still unpredictable.

GTS Jeff
06-18-2008, 01:11 AM
I drove a car with one once. It was retarded. Don't forget that welded diffs will cause a car to naturally understeer until you break rear wheel traction.

NewSR20
06-18-2008, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
I drove a car with one once. It was retarded. Don't forget that welded diffs will cause a car to naturally understeer until you break rear wheel traction.

and basically for drift its just a quick pull of the e break or clutch kick to break traction.