PDA

View Full Version : Lexus LF-A price: "Over $200k in the U.S."

Pages : [1] 2

Destinova403
05-21-2008, 09:19 AM
im really not sure what to say... i mean the performance will definately be there, but in terms of image... id rather be in a Lambo for the same price.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/21/inside-line-learns-lexus-lf-a-to-be-priced-over-200k/

GQBalla
05-21-2008, 09:20 AM
looks hot though..

but i dont think it will be that much

adam c
05-21-2008, 09:20 AM
looks a lot like the 350Z

94boosted
05-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Looks pretty good but $200K+ is just outrageous for something thats not Italian

BokCh0y
05-21-2008, 09:25 AM
different styling that's for sure. Doesn't look like anything out there imo. Still love it though.

bashir26
05-21-2008, 09:29 AM
$200,000 Toyota LOL. Thats worse than the 100,000 honda. This is how people will see this. Only tuners will appreciate this car, I dont think the general market will. why? because its new to the market, lexus has never made a supercar before! I still really like it.

hampstor
05-21-2008, 09:33 AM
And people thought 80k for a Nissan was outrageous... :rofl:

spyce
05-21-2008, 09:36 AM
No thanks.
Not for that price.

Rather pick up the new Gallardo :drool:

adam c
05-21-2008, 09:45 AM
where are the mirrors btw?

bashir26
05-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by spyce
No thanks.
Not for that price.

Rather pick up the new Gallardo :drool:

You and the rest of the world!

zachattack54
05-21-2008, 09:54 AM
Wow. That is way to much for a Toyota. I bet ya that the GTR is going to do way better in sales just based on the price. Who would buy this when you could buy a Lambo/Ferrari for about the same price.

HondaRice
05-21-2008, 09:59 AM
its not to compete with the lambo, lambo will cost you a lot of money each year to drive it. its like a crime to put km on them

with the lexus you dont have to worry about anything just drive and drive as many km as you want and will always start. lambo is in a different class.

thats like buying a brand new dump truck for 200,000 then say i would rather buy a lambo.

Redlyne_mr2
05-21-2008, 10:03 AM
Nothing in this car will be "Toyota", besides what's wrong with Toyota anyways? .... if you're going to use that mindset then maybe you shouldn't pick up a lambo either because it's just a glorified VW/Audi.:)

bobby_lu
05-21-2008, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by HondaRice

thats like buying a brand new dump truck for 200,000 then say i would rather buy a lambo.

lol Lexus Dump Truck FTW :bigpimp:

TYMSMNY
05-21-2008, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by hampstor
And people thought 80k for a Nissan was outrageous... :rofl:

Anything above $50,000 for a Nissan is outrageous but for a Lexus, that's where it all begins.

It all depends on what your comparing? Are you into looks (Ferrari/Lambo), or performance (GTR), or Luxury, or a combination?. GTR might push out great numbers but styling isn't all that great. Ferrari looks amazing on the outside but the interior isn't exactly luxurious.

If you're saying Lexus is a Toyota then, Bentley + Bugatti + Lamborghini = VW

Destinova403
05-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by HondaRice
its not to compete with the lambo, lambo will cost you a lot of money each year to drive it. its like a crime to put km on them

with the lexus you dont have to worry about anything just drive and drive as many km as you want and will always start. lambo is in a different class.

i SORTA get what you are trying to say... but part of me wants to ring the bullshit-alarm.

they are in the same class... a lambo and the LF-A are both performance exotics... i guess the definition of an exotic can be found in the numbers produced and the rarity of the car.

the LF-A has the performance to keep up with a lambo or an F-430 (also at basically the same price) but what im getting at with this thread is that it doesnt have the image.

even Audi when they tried to break into the super-car market didnt price their car this high (the R8)

Super_Geo
05-21-2008, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Nothing in this car will be "Toyota", besides what's wrong with Toyota anyways? .... if you're going to use that mindset then maybe you shouldn't pick up a lambo either because it's just a glorified VW/Audi.:)

What is the performance supposed to be like on this thing?

Destinova403
05-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

Anything above $50,000 for a Nissan is outrageous but for a Lexus, that's where it all begins.

It all depends on what your comparing? Are you into looks (Ferrari/Lambo), or performance (GTR), or Luxury, or a combination?. GTR might push out great numbers but styling isn't all that great. Ferrari looks amazing on the outside but the interior isn't exactly luxurious.

If you're saying Lexus is a Toyota then, Bentley + Bugatti + Lamborghini = VW

why not have both? i could have a GTR AND a BMW/merc... for the SAME price... then i have the best of both worlds... or what about an R8... or any of the porsche models which fall into those price ranges... its hard to justify the high prices of exotics... the only way lambo and ferrari were able to justify it was with image... and the lexus hasnt built that recognition yet.

brands like Lambo and ferrari and bentley and porsche and bugatti spend millions of dollars over the course of decades engineering their brand and maintaining exclusivity... lexus is trying to jump right into that same group without the racing heritage, history, or public image that the other names are renown for.

dont get me wrong... some lexus's i really like... and they will eventually be at that same level but im very doubtful that this is the model that will do it.

brandon
05-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by adam c
where are the mirrors btw?

They are video cameras on the A Pillar.

TYMSMNY
05-21-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

No specific numbers yet but V10 powerplant with 500+ HP.

Redlyne_mr2
05-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Super_Geo

Their primary goal is to make it faster than the GTR, since the GTR is so much cheaper and is a domestic competitor. It's going to use the v10 out of Toyota's F1 car which is why it has such a crazy sound. It should be much quicker than a Gallardo as well as the F430 however where Lexus has failed in the past when developing a vehicle is that they compare it to current market vehicles. They neglect to look ahead and don't build their cars to compete with future models. The f430 will be replaced very soon by something much better, Lexus better keep that in mind.

Redlyne_mr2
05-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Destinova403

why not have both? i could have a GTR AND a BMW/merc... for the SAME price... then i have the best of both worlds... or what about an R8... or any of the porsche models which fall into those price ranges... its hard to justify the high prices of exotics... the only way lambo and ferrari were able to justify it was with image... and the lexus hasnt built that recognition yet.
Lexus is the number 1 luxury brand in the world.. not sure how much better of an image they need. :)

Destinova403
05-21-2008, 10:21 AM

Lexus is the number 1 luxury brand in the world.. not sure how much better of an image they need. :)

i edited a post above to re-word some things... i dont want to copy paste... but i made my point... regardless, it will be a very nice car, just priced a little to high for its target demographic.

TYMSMNY
05-21-2008, 10:23 AM

That's like saying, why buy a GTR when you can get two Honda Civics SI? I'd personally spend 200K on one car then on two (if that's all I had to work with). If I were married and had two kids, then that would be a different story.

Like you said, it's extremely hard to justify paying for exotic vehicles but the people that do buy these have a passion and the money. Lexus hasn't built a solid image of a "supercar builder" status yet but who has over the last couple of years? The LF-A is aimed at at a different crowd... heck, Lexus is aimed at a different crowd.

ZorroAMG
05-21-2008, 10:31 AM
LOL at your accountant's face when he sees you pay 200K for a Toyota.

Performance or not.....

analbumcover
05-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
LOL at your accountant's face when he sees you pay 200K for a Toyota.

Performance or not.....

Reaction

If your accountant was a cat

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/wtf-18374.jpg

A Temp

http://www.aolcdn.com/aolr/signals-hes-confused-400a020607.jpg

A Baby

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/42/96/22749642.jpg

A Nerd

http://cache.kotaku.com/assets/resources/2008/01/confused.jpg

JRSC00LUDE

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/07/Emo_hair.jpg/800px-Emo_hair.jpg

A President

http://seacat.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/bush_confused2.jpg

or a woman

http://www.aolcdn.com/aolr/signals-shes-confused-400a020607.jpg

JRSC00LUDE
05-21-2008, 10:45 AM
^

Throw a picture of an inbred hair-lip up there so we can see how you'd react too! :D

EDIT - I don't have that much hair!

Chandler_Racing
05-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Do you really think it will use Toyota's F1 V10 engine :nut:

Their primary goal is to make it faster than the GTR, since the GTR is so much cheaper and is a domestic competitor. It's going to use the v10 out of Toyota's F1 car which is why it has such a crazy sound. It should be much quicker than a Gallardo as well as the F430 however where Lexus has failed in the past when developing a vehicle is that they compare it to current market vehicles. They neglect to look ahead and don't build their cars to compete with future models. The f430 will be replaced very soon by something much better, Lexus better keep that in mind.

Xtrema
05-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing

If you follow up on the news, it will have a V10 based on the F1 engine. Of course it's not exactly the same.

Honda have said that they'll do the same for next NSX. A V10 base on their F1 engine.

At least that will inject some racing credentials in the product but I don't think the Lexus brand can command $200K. $150K may be.

Comparing Lexus to Labmo is like Seiko to Rolex.

H4LFY2nR
05-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing

Some of the design carries over but oviously it has to last longer than a couple weekends hahaha

Think BMW M5 v10...

BerserkerCatSplat
05-21-2008, 12:09 PM
$200,000 for a Toyota that looks like an uglified 350Z? Fail.

TorqueDog
05-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Wow, that is ugly. Like, projectile vomit ugly.

arian_ma
05-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Why is everyone after image so badly? Do you guys honestly buy cars because of what everyone will think you? I mean if the LF-A can rape the F-430 on the track, sounds better, looks better and drives better (all subjective), and can be used everyday, who gives a fuck if it's a Lexus, it's the better deal between the two cars and I would definitely pick the Lexus if all of the above was true.

This is like saying "oh man that Wal-Mart shirt is fucking nice and is made of way better materials than this Diesel shirt and is priced the same, but since that one is Wal-Mart I will buy the uglier, crappier Diesel shirt." Holy hell some of you people are shallow hahaha.

Chandler_Racing
05-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

If you follow up on the news, it will have a V10 based on the F1 engine. Of course it's not exactly the same.

Honda have said that they'll do the same for next NSX. A V10 base on their F1 engine.

At least that will inject some racing credentials in the product but I don't think the Lexus brand can command $200K. $150K may be.

Comparing Lexus to Labmo is like Seiko to Rolex.

Exactly the same?

It won't be remotely the same. Aside from maybe having the same displacement, cylinders, and a few other small details to link to their old F1 engines... Anyone who genuinely believes Toyota will offer a true F1 engine in a road car is out to lunch. Not even taking into consideration costs to produce these engines, what about something like a pneumatic valve system (do you really think Toyota will produce something like this, in a street car? I will eat crow if they do, but...). How about just considering how closely guarded they're with F1 engines - do you think Toyota (even though they don't have the best engine on the grid) would readily give away little secrets they do currently have in their engines. Not a chance, they've spent 100's of millions developing it to win not to give it out in a 200K street car.

I for one think people are confusing marketing with reality. The day when the LFA produces 250+hp/L is the you could say they have used an F1 engine. I'm sure people will love having their engine serviced every 500km....

arian_ma
05-21-2008, 12:37 PM
^^He clearly said in his post it won't be exactly the same...

Chandler_Racing
05-21-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma
^^He clearly said in his post it won't be exactly the same...
I know, I took it a step further ;)

analbumcover
05-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by TorqueDog
Wow, that is ugly. Like, projectile vomit ugly.

oh Hi

have you met :barf: :barf: ?

Destinova403
05-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Why is everyone after image so badly? Do you guys honestly buy cars because of what everyone will think you? I mean if the LF-A can rape the F-430 on the track, sounds better, looks better and drives better (all subjective), and can be used everyday, who gives a fuck if it's a Lexus, it's the better deal between the two cars and I would definitely pick the Lexus if all of the above was true.

This is like saying "oh man that Wal-Mart shirt is fucking nice and is made of way better materials than this Diesel shirt and is priced the same, but since that one is Wal-Mart I will buy the uglier, crappier Diesel shirt." Holy hell some of you people are shallow hahaha.

yes i am that shallow... if im gonig to spend 200k on a car i want people to know i spent 200k on this car. otherwise wouldnt we all be running corollas or mini-vans. pure practicality.

the fact of the matter is that IMO the lexus is a GREAT car... fantastic in fact... but im honestly unsure where its sales are going to come from.

ex:

person wants speed/track performance = buys a GTR / ZR-1 for HALF the price (fastest cars around the ring... cant really argue)

person wants luxury = buys a s-class or 7 series for... HALF the price

person wants exotic car image = buys a lambo or a ferrari for a little bit less.

plus then you have all the brand fanboys who will always buy from within a specific brand EX: porsche, audi... etc

as iv said before my gripes arent with the lexus... im sure its a fantastically engineered car with all the same features that you will find in a lot of other cars in its class. the problem im having is understanding WHO exactly will buy it?

import/toyota/exus fanboys will want it... but itll be priced above most of them

import tuners will want them... but itll be priced above most of them

exotic dealers/fanboys will probably not consider it, atleast until it proves itself... i honestly cant see ZR riding in this car.

as iv said before... its VERY hard to justify high price-tags in exotics... the way that lambo and ferrari do it is with their brand image.

PS: i wouldnt call LF-A a daily driver... just because its a lexus and not a lambo doesnt mean itll be practical to be driven all day... a screaming mid mounted V-10 doesnt exactly have a lot of fuel economy or practicality.

arian_ma
05-21-2008, 12:53 PM
Are you seriously saying that people who drive a $100K RS4 or IS-F rather than a comparably priced M3 or C63 are stupid because their car doesn't scream "LOOK HOW MUCH BETTER THAN YOU I AM!"? What are you lacking in your life that you really need to prove to other people that you are awesome? (Sorry, I don't mean what's lacking in YOUR life, I mean people who think that way in general)
No, we wouldn't all be driving in corollas, because yes even though they do cost a fraction of what other cars may cost, they have roll up windows and a 1 liter engine with 3 hp. That's slightly different than the said RS4 which has luxury features and a powerful engine. I don't understand how people can be so fucking pompous. Not everything in life is about how much better you are than other people, or how sick your frosted tips look. Jesus christ. Comparing this with my T-shirt analogy, I'm assuming you'd also pick the Diesel shirt just because it's Diesel eh?
I am fighting an uphill battle here that I will never win, I have gotten this same response from so many of my friends it is ridiculous.

I understand your point completely, and if I were in that situation I would PROBABLY pick the Lambo as well, but not because of what people think of me, I just think the Lamborghini looks way better than this car. I just get angry when people pick things purely based on what other people will think of them.

Edit: and about your DD comment, you are probably right, I have no idea, I was just saying relative to the Ferrari, it would probably be a better DD, though of course that is all speculation and I know fuck all about how the car drives.

rage2
05-21-2008, 01:01 PM
I don't understand how people can be so fucking pompous. Not everything in life is about how much better you are than other people, or how sick your frosted tips look. Jesus christ. Comparing this with my T-shirt analogy, I'm assuming you'd also pick the Diesel shirt just because it's Diesel eh?
I am fighting an uphill battle here that I will never win, I have gotten this same response from so many of my friends it is ridiculous.
Frosted tips :rofl:.

Post of the year! :thumbsup:

Destinova403
05-21-2008, 01:07 PM
Are you seriously saying that people who drive a $100K RS4 or IS-F rather than a comparably priced M3 or C63 are stupid because their car doesn't scream "LOOK HOW MUCH BETTER THAN YOU I AM!"? What are you lacking in your life that you really need to prove to other people that you are awesome?
No, we wouldn't all be driving in corollas, because yes even though they do cost a fraction of what other cars may cost, they have roll up windows and a 1 liter engine with 3 hp. That's slightly different than the said RS4 which has luxury features and a powerful engine. I don't understand how people can be so fucking pompous. Not everything in life is about how much better you are than other people, or how sick your frosted tips look. Jesus christ. Comparing this with my T-shirt analogy, I'm assuming you'd also pick the Diesel shirt just because it's Diesel eh?

I understand your point completely, and if I were in that situation I would PROBABLY pick the Lambo as well, but not because of what people think of me, I just think the Lamborghini looks way better than this car. I just get angry when people pick things purely based on what other people will think of them.

Edit: and about your DD comment, you are probably right, I have no idea, I was just saying relative to the Ferrari, it would probably be a better DD, though of course that is all speculation and I know fuck all about how the car drives.

i think you missed my point entirely... or atleast partly

what i was trying to say is that especially in the 200k plus bracket... the market is so specialized and set on what they want i cant think of many people who would consider this car (despite the fact that it MAY be a better car) over a lambo or a ferrari... remember that this is EXACTLY what ferrari wants, they have spent millions creating an image for their brand and when you buy their car you are buying into the image that is associated with it.

each brand has an image that they have carefully created for themselves. ex: toyota = reliable and efficient.

i think you would be VERY hardpressed to find a person with 200k to spend on what is essentially a weekend car who will not consider that image as being a central element in the choice of his car.

plus the fact that ferraris, lambos, etc have created a dream car status... people grow up imagining themselves driving one... it is the pinnicle of some peoples dreams... again part of the image they have cultivated.

basically what im saying is that if you have always grown up wanting a ferrari... because youve always dreamed of owning one... will you really pass it over because it isnt quite as fast as a lexus? im going to say that generally no.

(this is the same problem that Audi ran into with the R8... they however priced it much lower, so that it wouldnt compete with Ferraris and Lambos...)

a porsche lover is gonig to buy a porsche... whether it be faster or slower than the lexus... same goes for ferrari lovers and lambo lovers... etc.

the lexus is an amazing car but it wont sell.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-21-2008, 01:09 PM
I don't understand how people can be so fucking pompous. Not everything in life is about how much better you are than other people, or how sick your frosted tips look. Jesus christ. Comparing this with my T-shirt analogy, I'm assuming you'd also pick the Diesel shirt just because it's Diesel eh?

If it's more expensive than the Ferrari and uglier than the Ferrari, why not just buy the Ferrari? It's not being pompous, it's just personal preference.

arian_ma
05-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Great point, and it is completely true, but that is what upsets me. People care more about how good they look rather than how intellectual they are. This is a whole different topic of discussion though, and we won't get into it. All I will say is, I think you are correct in that this car will not sell very well.

^^That was aimed at Destinova

BCS, I said explicitly in my post that if it was faster, looked better, and the same price, I'd pick it over the Ferrari.

dino_martini
05-21-2008, 01:25 PM
I'd go buy an F430 or Gallardo.

shadowz
05-21-2008, 01:35 PM
I dont know why people are making such a big deal about a expensive "toyota" go complain about a viper or ford GT lol

Xtrema
05-21-2008, 01:39 PM
BCS, I said explicitly in my post that if it was faster, looked better, and the same price, I'd pick it over the Ferrari.

There are cars that are faster, looked better and for less than a Ferrari. But people still pick a Ferrari because Ferrari don't dilute their brand by selling $30K cars to general public.

In a way, that's the exclusivity you buy along with those brands. Competency is only half the equation.

That's the same stigma R8 had to fight against and the reason for $150K price tag.

Unless Lexus set the production to a limited amount (like 500), $200K is asking way too much

arian_ma
05-21-2008, 02:22 PM

There are cars that are faster, looked better and for less than a Ferrari. But people still pick a Ferrari because Ferrari don't dilute their brand by selling $30K cars to general public.

In a way, that's the exclusivity you buy along with those brands. Competency is only half the equation.

That's the same stigma R8 had to fight against and the reason for $150K price tag.

Unless Lexus set the production to a limited amount (like 500), $200K is asking way too much
Ferrari's production has risen exponentially over the past few years and they are selling so many F cars that even though it is still an exclusive brand, it is nowhere near what it used to be, so in a way I look at that as Ferrari losing it's soul. That coupled with the fact that the only reason Enzo Ferrari started making road cars was to fuel his F1 career, I really don't get it when people say the cars have passion built in. In a way IMO Lamborghini has way more built in "passion". But anyways, I am rambling and I probably have all of my facts wrong anyway. Still though, I understand that even when I see a Ferrari on the road I say "Holy shit" no matter how often it is, and you are absolutely right about the diluting of the brand name with shitty lower end cars.

Redlyne_mr2
05-21-2008, 02:59 PM

Production will be extrememly limited, we will be lucky if we get 1 in all of Alberta.

treg50
05-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Wow 200k. I for one am not complaining. Why would I care? I can't afford a car in the price range of a Lamborghini or Ferrari anyway, lol (as I'm sure most of us can't)!

4doorj
05-21-2008, 04:06 PM
dang... i thought it was going to be a car that i could save up and eventually buy.. but not no more :rofl:

maybe one day:drool:

JRSC00LUDE
05-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by treg50
Wow 200k. I for one am not complaining. Why would I care? I can't afford a car in the price range of a Lamborghini or Ferrari anyway, lol (as I'm sure most of us can't)!

I too cannot afford to spend in that price range. My personal banker finds it insulting if I withdraw less than half a mil at a time.

Xtrema
05-21-2008, 04:14 PM

Production will be extrememly limited, we will be lucky if we get 1 in all of Alberta.

Initial sales may be.

We do have a least 2 SLRs in the City and 2 Enzo in Alberta. And I think both will be more limited than IF-A.

I understand that even when I see a Ferrari on the road I say "Holy shit" no matter how often it is, and you are absolutely right about the diluting of the brand name with shitty lower end cars.

You say holy shit because you can't own a recent Ferrari without dropping a couple hundred large to get one. That's exact what Lexus is going for. It's what Audi's dream car ad campaign is doing for the R8 and the brand.

bashir26
05-21-2008, 05:08 PM

Limited production is nice. How limited world wide production are we talking here?

Design = Nice
Power = Nice
Price = Not so nice

At the end of the day it the buyer would have to choose which one makes him feel like a superstar. If the car is limited, then yes I would buy one over the 15,000 other F430s around the world.

Alpine Autowerks
05-21-2008, 05:14 PM

Initial sales may be.

We do have a least 2 SLRs in the City and 2 Enzo in Alberta. And I think both will be more limited than IF-A.

2 in AB? Try 4x that many enzos in Calgary alone.

alpha_gangsta
05-21-2008, 05:42 PM
That $200K car you want to buy (eg, ferrari/Lambo), you want to buy it for the obvious reasons but also because its the car you've been dreaming of since you were a child.
Poster of either above mentioned over your bed? I know I had Countach posters over my mine. Who here had Toyotas in their room before they could even spell it?

You can charge $80K for a GTR, $90K for a Corvette and so on and so forth because it hasn't hit that magical number that makes it uber exlusive. They're still "attainable dreams". For $200K though, you're asking a buyer to make the logical choice when obviously this league is about anything but logical.

When was the last time you compared a Ferrari to a Lambo purely on performance and price? Dream autos this hot, you'd have to be a robot to simply be using numbers to compare. Lexus is coming in with a recipe that SHOULD work but theres something to be said about the ingredients left off the list.

BerserkerCatSplat
05-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks

2 in AB? Try 4x that many enzos in Calgary alone.

8 Enzos in Calgary? I was under the impression that there were only 4 as of two months ago.

jsn
05-21-2008, 05:47 PM
"Lexus has said the first number of the car's price will be a "2," "

Unless the price is 20,000 than this car is way overpriced. Who would honestly take this car over a Ferrari or Lamborghini?

bashir26
05-21-2008, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by jsn
"Lexus has said the first number of the car's price will be a "2," "

Unless the price is 20,000 than this car is way overpriced. Who would honestly take this car over a Ferrari or Lamborghini?
It depends on Performance, Looks, Wow factor and exclusivity. If the car is scores better on 4 categories above then its a go.

l/l/rX
05-22-2008, 01:12 AM
its a new era for the japanese market. They're finally starting to produce "super cars" to compete with the high end euro car manufacturers.

I'm glad lexus has taken the initiative to get the ball rolling for the japanese domestic market.

:thumbsup:

arian_ma
05-22-2008, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by alpha_gangsta
For $200K though, you're asking a buyer to make the logical choice when obviously this league is about anything but logical.
That is such an excellent point actually. I never would have looked at it that way.

JohnsonNJohnson
05-22-2008, 08:47 AM
people can say this thing is over priced all they want but i still bet they sell well. I hear people are paying upwards of 190K in the states for for the r8 because nobody can get one.

if people will pay nearly 200 for a 420 hp audi then they might pay it for a lexus too. this car will probably have more technology in the thing then a spaceshuttle.

not for every rich greedy sack of garbage but i think they will sell very well

Plasma69
05-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Its definately a consumer choice on this one, its going to be hard to label it a Lexus with a tag of $200k + thats for sure. I see Lexus being in the 100-150 max, but above 200k, your pick of nice Italian stallions is there.

I personally find it insulting that Toyota decides to label this thing up against the Italian that have been producing supercars for the last few decades. I don't care what anyone says, even if they do a F1 V10 modded engine for the LF-A, their engines are nowhere near Ferrari's technology or reliability. See google.ca as to why Ferrari wins most of the F1 races. All Ferrari's like the F430 have a engine derived from F1 technology too but they are not just horsepower numbers, Ferrari/Lambo/Bugatti, are also symbols of wealth, exclusivity and lets not forget SEX. Maybe im wrong but im pretty sure that any chick who has the foggiest (sp?) idea of what a ferrari is will jump you way b4 Lexus tuner boy gets it. I dunno. This is just the way i feel for it. not downing the ubber nice LF-A especially if TopSecret gets their hands on it. But in the end, men drives Italian and boys like me can only dream to have a GTR. haha...

Xtrema
05-22-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Plasma69
See google.ca as to why Ferrari wins most of the F1 races.

Because F1 is run by FIA, aka Ferrari Internatonal Assistance.

But that's another story.......

ChappedLips
05-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Lexus/Toyota are trying to break into a new market, just as they did with the IS-F and if things go decent I'm sure these are only the first cars to come.

Maybe in 10 or so years Lexus will be one of the main supercar makers in the world, but who knows what will happen. All I'm saying is this is their first shot at these types of cars and I'm all for competition because it will make all upcoming cars strive to be better.

95EagleAWD
05-22-2008, 01:32 PM

Yes. It's been proven, especially from the Japanese. The NSX raped and pillaged the 308/348 when it came out in '91. No one bought them. Why? Because it's an 80,000 dollar Honda and nobody wants that.

Originally posted by shadowz
I dont know why people are making such a big deal about a expensive "toyota" go complain about a viper or ford GT lol

The Dodge is only like 80K and the GT is out of production for exactly that reason.

Oh come on. Ferarri hadn't one since 1983 before Schumi won it in '99.

Plasma69
05-22-2008, 03:50 PM
:drama: but yes i can agree that new blood is always good and welcomed, just can't be expected of exotics buyers to dish out 200k on a new guy on the block.

max_boost
05-22-2008, 04:05 PM
This car is bad ass. I think it looks fucking sweet. Except I don't have $200K to get one.

483hp
05-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Imagine the depreciation. Ughhh.....

max_boost
05-22-2008, 04:19 PM
^^^

I didn't know exotic car owners even cared about depreciation? ;)

nightfx
05-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Plasma69
Its definately a consumer choice on this one, its going to be hard to label it a Lexus with a tag of $200k + thats for sure. I see Lexus being in the 100-150 max, but above 200k, your pick of nice Italian stallions is there.

I personally find it insulting that Toyota decides to label this thing up against the Italian that have been producing supercars for the last few decades. I don't care what anyone says, even if they do a F1 V10 modded engine for the LF-A, their engines are nowhere near Ferrari's technology or reliability. See google.ca as to why Ferrari wins most of the F1 races. All Ferrari's like the F430 have a engine derived from F1 technology too but they are not just horsepower numbers, Ferrari/Lambo/Bugatti, are also symbols of wealth, exclusivity and lets not forget SEX. Maybe im wrong but im pretty sure that any chick who has the foggiest (sp?) idea of what a ferrari is will jump you way b4 Lexus tuner boy gets it. I dunno. This is just the way i feel for it. not downing the ubber nice LF-A especially if TopSecret gets their hands on it. But in the end, men drives Italian and boys like me can only dream to have a GTR. haha...
From personal experience most chicks don't even know the difference from a Ferrari or Lambo. If it looks nice they'll like it and since the LF-A is also a pretty good looking car i doubt they'll really care. Plus Lexus = luxury and chicks will dig that. But in any case i'd take a Gallardo Spyder before even considering the LF-A. (PS. GOLD DIGGERS FTL):bigpimp:

pinoyhero
05-22-2008, 06:44 PM
Lexus ... convert ... overpriced ... SC430 much

zipdoa
05-22-2008, 07:23 PM

Really? Are you being serious??

Federation Internationale De L'Automobile

Redlyne_mr2
05-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
This car is bad ass. I think it looks fucking sweet. Except I don't have $200K to get one.
Youre just being nice so that you get to drive one when it comes out. :)

Ferrari and Lambos are nice cars but they are "common" when you consider their super car status. I'm a fan of cars like Spykers just because it takes a true enthusiast to go out and shell out cash for a car like that. Rarris and Lambos are for people with no imagination who just want others to notice them. Im hoping the LFA is good enough to be recognized as a true performer rather than some greaseball club owners car.

lexIS300
05-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
Lexus ... convert ... overpriced ... SC430 much

exactly what i was thinking. they should price the LF-A like the SC430 and people will actually get a car thats worth the price tag.

but the LF-A sure looks slick :drool:

treg50
05-22-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

Might wanna turn on your sarcasm detector.

FIA actually stands for: Fucking Incompetent Assholes, the parent company of Ferrari International Assistance.

gd3_kid
05-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by alpha_gangsta
That $200K car you want to buy (eg, ferrari/Lambo), you want to buy it for the obvious reasons but also because its the car you've been dreaming of since you were a child.
Poster of either above mentioned over your bed? I know I had Countach posters over my mine. Who here had Toyotas in their room before they could even spell it?

You can charge $80K for a GTR, $90K for a Corvette and so on and so forth because it hasn't hit that magical number that makes it uber exlusive. They're still "attainable dreams". For $200K though, you're asking a buyer to make the logical choice when obviously this league is about anything but logical.

When was the last time you compared a Ferrari to a Lambo purely on performance and price? Dream autos this hot, you'd have to be a robot to simply be using numbers to compare. Lexus is coming in with a recipe that SHOULD work but theres something to be said about the ingredients left off the list.

very well said.

It almost sounds like Nissan had an inferiority complex when they designed the GT-R...they couldn't simply keep up with the big boys, if they wanted anybody to care about it it would have to leave everything else in its dust. They knew that if they just made it as fast as a f430 or gallardo, it would just be seen as a pretty fast, but WAY to expensive Nissan.

So instead, they made it retardly fast, and now 80,000 is not being seen as a ridiculous price for a Nissan that's faster then most supercars....becuase that entry price buys you essentially the quickest road car on the planet...and who gives a shit about the badge when your 15 seconds faster then a 1.5 million dollar car around the ring? Especially when you paid M3 money for it?
With the GT-R people can choose weather they want massive amounts of performance for less money, or a dream car and a status symbol for more cash.

With the Lexus, you don't get that choice....your simply deciding which 500 hp supercar you want to drop 200k on...theres nothing that really differentiates it from a gallardo or 430 (like the GT-R does with its performance and price), so I think a large part of the decision rest on which badge you like more...and I think most people would rather have a lambo or ferrari on the car they spent that kind of money on

hks
05-23-2008, 11:03 AM
you buy a 200K+ car because you want the "HOLY SHIT!" factor. that's one of the big reasons you're paying 200K+. you want people to stop what they're doing and just look at you.
as for this lexus, when it comes down to it, it will be brilliant, no one is doubting that for a second, but at the end of the day, it's still a lexus and IMHO won't have that "HOLY SHIT!" factor.
this car more or less will warrant the "nod of approval"

Inzane
05-23-2008, 12:17 PM
I agree with gd3_kid and alpha gangster, and probably couldn't have said it better myself.

I too am a child of the 80s and had posters of Countachs and Testarossas over my bed.

The first Japanese car to really latch on to my attention and hold on wasn't until the Nissan 300ZX (Z32), back when it first came out. (which became my first "attainable" dream car, hence what I own).

But my next attainable dream car is not something Japanese. It will most likely be a used Ferrari of some kind, some day. I don't care if they're not the absolute fastest for the price or the most reliable... that's not the point of a vehicle like that.

Xtrema
05-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa

http://www.wired.com/cars/coolwheels/magazine/16-06/ff_formulaone?currentPage=1

Originally posted by hks
it's still a lexus and IMHO won't have that "HOLY SHIT!" factor.

Oh, there'll be a holy shit factor. As in "HOLY SHIT, how much you pay for that Lexus?"

:D

herragge
05-23-2008, 01:00 PM
I highly doubt it will reach this mark. Lexus isn't stupid either, they know it won't be able to compete with pricing like that. Besides, it is still in preliminary testing stages right now, so I'm taking all information with a grain of salt.

TYMSMNY
05-23-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by hks
you buy a 200K+ car because you want the "HOLY SHIT!" factor. that's one of the big reasons you're paying 200K+. you want people to stop what they're doing and just look at you.
as for this lexus, when it comes down to it, it will be brilliant, no one is doubting that for a second, but at the end of the day, it's still a lexus and IMHO won't have that "HOLY SHIT!" factor.
this car more or less will warrant the "nod of approval"

People that buy Lexus' aren't going for the "holy shit!" factor. Speaking from experience, I didn't buy my Lexus so I can get a "wow... oohhh" factor. Lexus has an understated approach to styling and marketing.

I don't think there's a Lexus model in production that will give you that "holy shit" factor.

bashir26
05-23-2008, 01:26 PM
^ IS-F = HOLY SHIT YO

Destinova403
05-23-2008, 01:32 PM

People that buy Lexus' aren't going for the "holy shit!" factor. Speaking from experience, I didn't buy my Lexus so I can get a "wow... oohhh" factor. Lexus has an understated approach to styling and marketing.

I don't think there's a Lexus model in production that will give you that "holy shit" factor.

and that would be the exact problem... people who buy lexus's dont want a "holy shit" factor... but people who spend 225k on a super-car generally do. of course im making a generalization and im sure there are people who arent conserned with the image associated with their car.

another thing we should watch for is what exactly is their sales goal... if they only want to sell 300 of these things a year than they will have no problem. but if they are taking aim at their competitors (pricing wise) sales numbers... i dont think itll turn out well... they need to gradually move up-market... not make a sudden jump like this IMHO

TYMSMNY
05-23-2008, 01:41 PM
The LF-A is party aimed at people like that.. people that want a nice "supercar" that don't want all the WOW factor of a Ferrari/Lambo or they want something luxurious w/ performance. There are lots of other cars in this price range like every has stated. I'd personally take a look at a DB9. How much do those cost?

TYMSMNY
05-23-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by bashir26
^ IS-F = HOLY SHIT YO

really? maybe it's just me then. It doesn't give me that in my books. Don't get me wrong.. it's nice, but not to that extreme. :dunno:

Destinova403
05-23-2008, 01:49 PM
The LF-A is party aimed at people like that.. people that want a nice "supercar" that don't want all the WOW factor of a Ferrari/Lambo or they want something luxurious w/ performance. There are lots of other cars in this price range like every has stated. I'd personally take a look at a DB9. How much do those cost?

Aston Martin doesnt let their brand get poluted with low end cars... look at the makers of almost every successful supercar over the price of 200k and see how many make low end cars as well. these cars are VERY much about image

i also dont see the LF-A taking aim at an Aston Martin... its a mid engine V-10 powered car with a performance focus... i see it as aiming at lambos/ferraris... etc.

Lt247
05-23-2008, 03:25 PM
I buy a car for the holy shit factor to my self.. I picked up my old skyline, for it.. and my bike.. I want to pick up a Lexus IS 300 or a Audi S4.. because when i go to drive in the morning i like to go , holy shit look whats in my driveway!

however, i do agree.. that lexus was overly aggressive with the pricing of their vehicle.. but who knows right.. they may pull it off and get a small line into that high priced exotic category...

i say we just see what happens

mark4091
05-23-2008, 03:35 PM
I read through this a couple times trying to think what I'm going to post, but I'm still not really sure what to make of that car going for 200k.

TYMSMNY
05-23-2008, 03:46 PM

Aston Martin doesnt let their brand get poluted with low end cars... look at the makers of almost every successful supercar over the price of 200k and see how many make low end cars as well. these cars are VERY much about image

i also dont see the LF-A taking aim at an Aston Martin... its a mid engine V-10 powered car with a performance focus... i see it as aiming at lambos/ferraris... etc.

True, but for myself it's got the same amount of WOW factor. Lambo themselves don't make "cheap" cars as VW does that. Since Lexus/Toyota doesn't have a "supercar" arm... it's hard to give it that supercar image. If they did, I'd see more people ranting and raving that it's only a Toyota in the end... but lets not get into that whole argument. The expensive supercar makers are very much about image AND exclusivity. What I think they might end up doing is making it a limited production model.

I'd buy a Ferrari myself for that price.

treg50
05-24-2008, 03:44 PM
If they want to charge 200k+ for this car then best of luck to them. BUT for the price, I wish they didn't copy the looks of other cars. It shouldn't look like an S2000 or Genesis in the front, a 300ZX or 350Z from the side, and an R8 in the back --- For 200k I would've expected more in the originality department.

Destinova403
05-27-2008, 08:18 AM
well someone spied the engine so here is some pics and speculation... kinda interesting to see.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/26/spy-shots-lexus-lf-a-racecar-engine-spied/

Redlyne_mr2
05-27-2008, 08:23 AM
Not the most inspiring looking engine bay lol. For it to be competitive at the high price it's going to have to require some pretty special suspension. I hope we see some sort of cantilever suspension design on this.

treg50
05-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Ohhhhh, the RX-8! That's what it looks like from the front (the red roadster pics)... i couldn't pinpoint it...
:nut:

Redlyne_mr2
11-28-2008, 08:27 AM
http://thepassionatepursuit.com/images/weblog/08-11-24-lexus-lf-a-racing-prototype.jpg

http://thepassionatepursuit.com/images/weblog/08-11-24-akio-toyoda.jpg

Sources believe, however, that the production LF-A is now signed off, and this long awaited 480-horsepower, 200-mph supercoupe will appear at some strategic point in 2009, with a limited run of sales to start later, perhaps in 2010 or 2011.

The recent buzz in Tokyo has been that Toyota is thinking of a 500-unit run with an asking price that would be the equivalent of about $261,000 to $313,000.

All along, the LF-A has been pushed by Akio Toyoda, scion of the Toyoda family that founded the Toyota Motor Corporation, arch motorsport fan and the man widely tipped to be the next Toyota president and CEO.

hmmm... theyre going to need more hp if they plan to hit 200mph.

adam c
11-28-2008, 09:00 AM
300k for a 480hp car? a lot more cars can do that at a fraction of the cost

TYMSMNY
11-28-2008, 09:04 AM
Limited Edition = $$

It's not ALL about $/hp.

TYMSMNY
11-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Speed per Dollar.... best bang for the buck.. Ariel Atom

adam c
11-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Ferrari/Lambo/ZR-1 > LF-A

TYMSMNY
11-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Fer/Lam > LF-A > ZR1

The looks of the ZR1 doesn't do it for me... nor the interior.

Redlyne_mr2
11-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Hard to know what to think until the car is released. The sound alone is enough to make me want it over a zr1.